• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So I've been lurking on this thread for a few days now, and I was just now wondering about something from the Ridley Shadow tease. It mostly has to do with this PotD from all the way back in May:

And this Pic from the same post:

What I'm wondering is whether or not this kind of front-facing is evident in the Ridley Shadow tease? Do you think this has any baring on the "Playable Ridley" hypothesis? Also, do we know if this behavior manifests during walking or aerial movement animations? If not, then it shouldn't be evident during the Ridley tease, but if it does, then shouldn't it be evident?

I know this is probably really trivial, but I'm still curious. I'm gonna go watch some demo footage to see whether or not this mirroring happens during movement; I definitely have too much time on my hands. I just needs me some Ridley news!!!!!!!!!
It makes me feel someone on gamefaq bring that up (the one who ralked about this in this thread said it was a "miracle" because that's not expected for gamefaq).

I don't remember but I think it was mirrored I just don't know for sure.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So my favorite Ridley design has got to be from Zero Mission even though I didn't like his colors and rather he be purple. Anyway his head is what I really loved. It was the perfect face. Cunning, intelligent, brutal, all at the same time. You could see it just by looking.

OdangoKnight

Smash Cadet
So I've been lurking on this thread for a few days now, and I was just now wondering about something from the Ridley Shadow tease. It mostly has to do with this PotD from all the way back in May:

What I'm wondering is whether or not this kind of front-facing is evident in the Ridley Shadow tease? Do you think this has any baring on the "Playable Ridley" hypothesis? Also, do we know if this behavior manifests during walking or aerial movement animations? If not, then it shouldn't be evident during the Ridley tease, but if it does, then shouldn't it be evident?

I know this is probably really trivial, but I'm still curious. I'm gonna go watch some demo footage to see whether or not this mirroring happens during movement; I definitely have too much time on my hands. I just needs me some Ridley news!!!!!!!!!
Facing to the right is the standard position, in the direct his tail is sticking into the foreground while flying from a left facing position. It's not much since Yellow Devil flips as well but it at least means his tail is important.

Zynux

Smash Lord
COMPLETELY different... dont try to pull that crap.

smash run does not have exclusive characters in it that 3DS users get to play as... you're trying to compare a simple mode where we run around and beat up various enemies to something like a hypothetical mode on wii u that would add several characters to the roster for wii u only?

dont even... just... dont freaking even compare the two, because that is total BS logic.

besides that, im sure wii u will have its own exclusive modes, but NOTHING like that.

both games already have different stages, trophies, etc... different modes is gonna happen, most likely... but do NOT use smash run to justify some twisted thought that the wii u version should have a playable ridley and 3DS not have him.

uurrgh!

i am about done with this place, the amount of foolishness i find here is just as bad as gamefaqs and miiverse, at times. :evil:

i'll see you guys when ridley is confirmed playable.. FOR BOTH VERSIONS... until then, im saving myself any further harm from overexposure to this kinda crap.

so, see you guys later... i need a long break from this topic, and from forums in general.
...Did you even read my post? (whom's first sentence was completely facetious by the way, but I guess I'll have to get serious now)

I'm genuinely asking because I never insinuated that Ridley, or any character, would be an exclusive "character" to any version of Smash 4 rosters, as it has already been confirmed that both versions will have the same roster. My post had nothing to do with exclusive characters/roster; I was only talking in the context of the hypothetical scenario if Playable Bosses mode (keyword) on the Wii U became a thing that it would be an mode exclusive to Wii U, in similar vein to how the Smash Run is an exclusive mode to the 3DS; it had nothing to do with each version's roster.

Playable Boss, theoretically, are fundamentally completely different in about every way imaginable compared to characters: their limited to one stage, limited in moves they have, the abilities they can perform, they are "outside" established mechanics of Smash fights (Bosses would have HP, no ability to use normal or "special" attacks, no tilts, smash attack, no jumping, aren't KO'd from being outside the Blast Zone, no need for recoveries since bosses won't have any knockback at all, nothing), and cannot be used in any other mode (for example, if the Yellow Devil was a "Playable Boss", all he could do is move from end of the stage to another firing stuff, and self destruct if I remember correctly, been a while since I've seen a Yellow Devil in action).

You can't select them on the screen, their not balanced for the roster (they are not part of the roster!), and their sole existence is just to mess with the 4 players in the arena. They aren't comparable to characters at all. Having them playable would be a mode, like every other mode (target whatever, Smash Run, etc.) that could very well be exclusive to the Wii U if they felt it would push it sales (hopefully they don't do that. Also I should note that Playable Bosses is very unlikely to happen). Exclusive playable boss mode or not, the roster and playable characters featured on both the Wii U and 3DS would be the same. Playable Bosses aren't "characters" in any way, as they share very little to no similar mechanics to playable characters. They would be a dumb gimmick that could make a player with the gamepad a glorified stage hazard that can do very minimal actions and **** with **** every once in a while.

If Sakurai/Nintendo are dumb and actually decide to implement Wii U gimmickery, and that implementation just so happens to take in form of being able to mess with Stage Bosses (or any hazards on the stage in general), then that will be a mode exclusive to the Wii U one. The "[insert mode here] can't be exclusive to [insert version here] because its not fair to [select version here] users" is a fallacious argument because we already have exclusive content to both versions; there would be no reason why it couldn't be an exclusive mode to the Wii U.

Your post seems to insinuate that I was talking about characters exclusive to the Wii U. If so, then you completely misconstrued what my post was trying to convey. I wasn't talking about characters, I was talking about a hypothetical mode, which is something I thought was overt in my post.

Specifically, if Ridley is a playable character, he will be playable in Wii U and 3DS version. If he, along with the Yellow Devil and whoever, end up as playable bosses, that would be an entirely different, gimmicky entity that would be exclusive to one version of the game.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I don't think it means much since Yellow Devil does the same kind of mirroring. It's not like the shadow clip provides us with enough to see whether he mirrors or not either.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
From what I can tell, he doesn't seem to be front-facing all too much. I'd say he's angled more along the lines of maybe max of 10 degrees, possibly 15. The only thing that seems that could be mirrored is the tail, as already stated. But going over some of the gameplay videos, it looks like only a handful of characters really exhibit this mirroring. It does seem rather trivial to me, though; I don't think it proves much. Additionally, it seems like Charizard exhibits the same kind of mirroring, so that might be something.

A few other things I noticed:
I think this may have been brought up before, but it seems like Ridley is actually grabbing someone off-screen and doing some sort of divebomb on them at the very end of the shadow tease, as he seems to do some sort of animation that moves him off-screen and then his shadow seems to rise up and project on the far wall, only for it to reappear nearly instantly back at the ordinary level again. This might be evidence of an Up-Throw similar to Kirby's, or something else along those lines, as I can't think of a boss that would do something like this so specifically. It just seems off to me.

Also, I found a third Ridley in the Greninja Reveal Trailer that I don't think anyone's mentioned so far. Here it is:

I'm not sure, but it also seems like there might be more to this specific silhouette/whatever-it's-called, as I can also make out some sort of claws and some nice plump cheeks. It also looks like it might be something else, like Charizard, idk. I'm pretty sure Ridley doesn't have plump cheeks. Someone might be able to do a better outline, too, as I'm not an artist at all.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
From what I can tell, he doesn't seem to be front-facing all too much. I'd say he's angled more along the lines of maybe max of 10 degrees, possibly 15. The only thing that seems that could be mirrored is the tail, as already stated. But going over some of the gameplay videos, it looks like only a handful of characters really exhibit this mirroring. It does seem rather trivial to me, though; I don't think it proves much. Additionally, it seems like Charizard exhibits the same kind of mirroring, so that might be something.

A few other things I noticed:
I think this may have been brought up before, but it seems like Ridley is actually grabbing someone off-screen and doing some sort of divebomb on them at the very end of the shadow tease, as he seems to do some sort of animation that moves him off-screen and then his shadow seems to rise up and project on the far wall, only for it to reappear nearly instantly back at the ordinary level again. This might be evidence of an Up-Throw similar to Kirby's, or something else along those lines, as I can't think of a boss that would do something like this so specifically. It just seems off to me.

Also, I found a third Ridley in the Greninja Reveal Trailer that I don't think anyone's mentioned so far. Here it is:

I'm not sure, but it also seems like there might be more to this specific silhouette/whatever-it's-called, as I can also make out some sort of claws and some nice plump cheeks. It also looks like it might be something else, like Charizard, idk. I'm pretty sure Ridley doesn't have plump cheeks. Someone might be able to do a better outline, too, as I'm not an artist at all.
I think you're trying really hard to see something that isn't there, please don't pursue this, it will make us look crazy.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's mostly characters with specific weapons/stances that don't get mirrored. Samus with her arm cannon, Link with his shield/sword, swordsmen with their dominant hand/stance, etc.. Not sure if Ridley'd be subject to standard Charizard/Bowser procedure.

I thought of this:

Before I thought of Ridley.

Welcome to the thread, by the way.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Quick question for ya'll: Have Nintendo of America or Sakurai ever flat-out stated Ridley is not a playable character? We've seen it happen to Chrom and various assist trophies, but has Ridley ever been shot down like that?
Actually, no. Compared to characters like Waluigi, Skull Kid, or even Chrom, whose roles were immediately revealed upon their introductions (I believe Nintendo actually Tweeted to confirm Chrom wasn't playable since the trailer confused some people), Ridley hasn't been acknowledged or seen since the Smash Direct. People take this as a good sign, and maybe it is. Even after all this time, I'm still pessimistically skeptical about it, but the longer Sakurai takes to say anything, the better...

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I think you're trying really hard to see something that isn't there, please don't pursue this, it will make us look crazy.
Are you implying that us being convinced a character already confirmed as a boss as being playable does not make us look crazy already?

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
if you're trying to find faces and wings in rocks then I say you need meds.
It was a jest, Weavel. I share that opinion on seeing things in other things. Unless the thing is actually there, it's probably hogwash and.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
if you're trying to find faces and wings in rocks then I say you need meds.
Meh, at least we aren't mad enough to see pacman in the clouds. The point is, Sakurai has hidden messages, like the Final Destination movies, the Kutthroats saw a boxing ring with 4 characters, the only non-reptile in there was DK. Sakurai loves his Easter Eggs...

Weavel

Smash Ace
Meh, at least we aren't mad enough to see pacman in the clouds. The point is, Sakurai has hidden messages, like the Final Destination movies, the Kutthroats saw a boxing ring with 4 characters, the only non-reptile in there was DK. Sakurai loves his Easter Eggs...
Those are more legitimate and reasonable then rocks!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Those are more legitimate and reasonable then rocks!
The thing is, you shouldn't try to trust or ignore any of these secrets, coincidental or truth, in the end, it might not even matter. I'm just saying that you can't really predict Sakurai and you can't say a certain argument is valid ans another isn't when it comes to possible secret stuff. I personally think the rocks are coincidence, but that's me. Don't try to dash people's dreams, that's Sakurai's job

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I have a feeling this is what we would do if Ridley is shown playable.
Victory screech!
Victory screech while doing an unholy mix of breakdance and lambada. Then explode from the strain. But hundred times worse. We will also need someone to sign and record this while it happens. Then upload this video on youtube.

1. It is impossible to see Ridley in that direct. Only his shadow. So, we won't know did the mirroring happened or not.
  2. Yellow Devil can do that too.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
How many Metroid anniversaries is left in August? Just want to know. Is there is any on 12th August, then...
Anniversaries until Japanese Release

NA - Metroid - August 15
NA - Return - August 26
NA - Other M - August 31
NA - Corruption - August 27
NA - Trilogy - August 24
JP - Other M - September 2
PAL - Other M - September 3
EU - Trilogy - September 4

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Anniversaries until Japanese Release

NA - Metroid - August 15
NA - Return - August 26
NA - Other M - August 31
NA - Corruption - August 27
NA - Trilogy - August 24
JP - Other M - September 2
PAL - Other M - September 3
EU - Trilogy - September 4

So, there will be Other M anniversary at the end of August...designs of Metroid stuff in SSB4 is based off Other M designs except for Dark Samus and maybe Mother Brain...maybe something will happen on this day. Or at least on August 15th.

I cannot stop seeing Ridley's head and neck on that tree. Hey you never know guys....Pacman's arcade silhouette was in the clouds and he's playable.

Boy, Sakurai sure loves to hint things.

Last edited:

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Well, I read the second post, and... it did nothing for me.
In each of those size comparisons, Ridley is either too small or way too small, to be Ridley. If canon Ridley were to look upon that Ridley, he would laugh at the puny size of the dragon. Seriously, are you guys willing to trade a playable character for a decent portrayal of them? And too, even with those too small models, the hurtboxes are gigantic, he would get hit by way too many things to be viable as a usable character. I just... don't think you know what you want. It's like if Bowser was just barely taller than Mario. It wouldn't be right.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
NA - Return - August 26

Return?
What is Return?
It's on my Birthday, so I am quite curious.
Is "Return" meaning Metroid 2?
...I'm stuck in middle-format.
How do I get out.
Haalp.
:043:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Warning Received
I have this picture saved for the moment of truth :p

Content removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
In each of those size comparisons, Ridley is either too small or way too small, to be Ridley. If canon Ridley were to look upon that Ridley, he would laugh at the puny size of the dragon. Seriously, are you guys willing to trade a playable character for a decent portrayal of them? And too, even with those too small models, the hurtboxes are gigantic, he would get hit by way too many things to be viable as a usable character. I just... don't think you know what you want. It's like if Bowser was just barely taller than Mario. It wouldn't be right.
Why does the canon only matter for metroid? :(

Every other game can stray as far away from canon as they want, but as soon as metroid steps out of line it's over.

D

Deleted member

Well I'm sure if canon Ganondorf came in to see that Link was now much closer to his height than he was in TP, i.e., he [Ganondorf] was shorter, I think he'd be perturbed as well. But that didn't stop him from getting downsized.

Canon doesn't matter in Smash Bros. and it doesn't matter what the canon character thinks of their Smash Bros. appearance, they are only fictional characters. The only opinions that matter about a character's size or other characteristics would be those of the game designers, since they are the ones that have to create the animations, attacks, etc.

If we really wanted Ridley to stay as "big" as he typically is in Metroid, do you think we would still be supporting him knowing that he would have to be downsized to become playable? Wouldn't we be against such a size change to make him work?

The fact is, we aren't, we don't care what size he is (I know I don't) we just want to see him as a playable character in the game. He can be as short as Kirby for all I care, I just want to have him as a playable character, and nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
"Have you ever made a game?" -Masahiro Sakurai

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Return?
What is Return?
It's on my Birthday, so I am quite curious.
Is "Return" meaning Metroid 2?
...I'm stuck in middle-format.
How do I get out.
Haalp.
:043:
Metroid 2: Return of Samus

And, um, you just click this button

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Bowser is bigger than him in any of his "canonical" appearances and look, he is just barely taller than Rosalina, instead of being 2x bigger. Ganondorf is barely smaller than Ridley and look, he is only barely taller than Link instead of being nearly 2x taller. Large size is what balances character like Bowser and DK. They hit hard, have long range, but they are large targets. So, its not a bad thing. By the way, Charizard's wings are large and they don't fully count as hurtboxes. And counting Ridley's tail is unnecessary since it is always the only invincible part of him. Making it just collide with things like sword would still cancel it. Either way, that is better than EVEN LARGER version of that character that barely does anything and is just annoying during the match and you can't even do anything about it since he will reappear after few seconds even if you will KO him. A smaller playable version of a character in a game that doesn't follows canon that much is better than large pinata you can't remove unless you want boring version of the stage. So, we don't care if he is smaller in a game when Bowser is small compared to how big he always is (spin-off games don't count and everyone who says they do count is an idiot) and Ganondorf, the Great King of Evil, wears a bunny hood, dances under effect of spicy curry and holds lip's stick in his hand while getting beatened up by Jigglypuff. We just want Metroid franchise to be finally represented properly by getting its 2nd most important character as a playable character instead of pinata.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
It wouldnt be right to YOU. You are the one who cannot see the character to be anything but gigantic or unusable.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
In each of those size comparisons, Ridley is either too small or way too small, to be Ridley. If canon Ridley were to look upon that Ridley, he would laugh at the puny size of the dragon.
"The Smash Bros. Series doesn't always stay true to canon." ~Masahiro Sakurai
Justwantedtoletyouknow :047:
It's like if Bowser was just barely taller than Mario. It wouldn't be right.
Now that would never happen...
:094:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
1: SMASH. ISN'T. CANON. Why do anyone care how someone looked in their actual games?
2: I don't see how Ridley being 1/3 taller then Samus would appear weird in contrast to every other character who's been resized.
3: Big hit boxes had never stop other characters being playable (Lucas's Up Smash would like to have a word with you), and I seriously don't see Sakurai giving Ridley hit boxes that are really big on Ridley if he scale him right, which I know he can (and did, look at Ridley's Direct size).

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I have this picture saved for the moment of truth :p

Content removed
That was highly inappropriate. I love South Park too but please don't post things like that.

To me on the size front, it's not how big they are or aren't. It's how well they're scaled, and Ridley has very good proportions, minus his tail. However, like his wings, the tail can be tucked away using the fore/background to avoid any weird hurtbox issues it might otherwise create.

We really need to calm down. I know we have had this arguemeny before but people are allowed to have opinions. We can give counterarguements but there is no reason to be rude about it whether we started it or not

Top Bottom