• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh... that didn't sound that great. Has anyone thought this story is pretty ****ing dark for Nintendo? lol
Earthbound. You cannot grasp true form of its story. Oh, and technicaly Mario and Kirby. Mario is about a drug-addicted plumber that kills everything in sight while Kirby is about a pink puffball that commits genocide whenever someone steals his cake. Oh, and Legend of Zelda...Anyway, i think Metroid and Earthbound are at least one of the darkest Nintendo franchises. Personally, i think Metroid is THE darkest.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Earthbound. You cannot grasp true form of its story. Oh, and technicaly Mario and Kirby. Mario is about a drug-addicted plumber that kills everything in sight while Kirby is about a pink puffball that commits genocide whenever someone steals his cake. Oh, and Legend of Zelda...Anyway, i think Metroid and Earthbound are at least one of the darkest Nintendo franchises. Personally, i think Metroid is THE darkest.
I think the Metroid Prime series really radiates the darkness of the series really well. The overall tone of the games is done perfectly.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Metroid certainly is dark, but Earthbound is by far the darkest.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton

This > Anything I've seen in Metroid.

Zebes may blow but I don't you can actually see Samsu get blown up by it. Nor does it have a scary face.

And this Link also lost his parents at a young age and is later stuck with a creepy old man who likes to piece the ears of people when they are unconsious.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
That thing with Charizard's wings got me curious, and I happened to find this image:

If you look closely, you can see the shadow of Charizard's left wing stretched out underneath where Marth is hovering. It looks like it stretches out from where Charizard is standing up to the edge of that center circle. Would this be at all helpful for shadow comparisons?
it took me a few seconds to find the shadow (i was mostly looking under links left arm cause technically marth is over that too xD) and it could support ridley. but if you ask a random detractor they'll just simply brush it off....i think we need a better pick of charizard on the pyrosphere to properly see his wings expand as a shadow

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think the Metroid Prime series really radiates the darkness of the series really well. The overall tone of the games is done perfectly.
Especially Prime 3 and maybe 2. If they would add more violence and things like that from Ridley (for example, killing GF troops while you can`t reach them, corpses in a large room with some of them lacking parts, etc), it would be perfect. That guy rarely does something like that. We saw that kind of thing from him only in Super Metroid, where you can see corpses of scientists few rooms before encountering Ridley.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Especially Prime 3 and maybe 2. If they would add more violence and things like that from Ridley (for example, killing GF troops while you can`t reach them, corpses in a large room with some of them lacking parts, etc), it would be perfect. That guy rarely does something like that. We saw that kind of thing from him only in Super Metroid, where you can see corpses of scientists few rooms before encountering Ridley.
Remember the Valhalla in Prime 3? Ugghhh. That was such a great area. So foreboding and creepy. I can just picture Ridley and Dark Samus tearing through everyone and taking the Aurora Unit without even trying.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I guess you can kinda count Dark Samus as a reoccurring character, but that's only in the Prime games. Ridley is EASILY the most popular Nintendo character that hasn't been playable yet. Metroid desperately needs more reps as well. We only have Samus..twice. I'll give Sakurai props we have more Metroid assist trophies now.
Samus is one of the few originals that has yet to get a newcomer from her series (don't give me ZSS, it's still Samus). The other? Captain Falcon. Yoshi could tie in with Mario, technically, and DK got Diddy. There's been new Pokemon, and Mario and Zelda get at least one new rep every game since. Ness even got Lucas. Kirby got MK and Dedede. So that leaves F-Zero and Metroid as the two most underrepresented series, as it stands right now, in terms of playable characters. I think Ridley would fit the bill for a new Metroid rep, but F-Zero's newcomer would be a total shock, but I'd be happy if it did happen that way. People who think Ridley,Metroid's been robbed, how do you think F-Zero's fans feel?

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
Samus is one of the few originals that has yet to get a newcomer from her series (don't give me ZSS, it's still Samus). The other? Captain Falcon. Yoshi could tie in with Mario, technically, and DK got Diddy. There's been new Pokemon, and Mario and Zelda get at least one new rep every game since. Ness even got Lucas. Kirby got MK and Dedede. So that leaves F-Zero and Metroid as the two most underrepresented series, as it stands right now, in terms of playable characters. I think Ridley would fit the bill for a new Metroid rep, but F-Zero's newcomer would be a total shock, but I'd be happy if it did happen that way. People who think Ridley,Metroid's been robbed, how do you think F-Zero's fans feel?
I truly do not think F-Zero fans expect their characters to be in a fighting game. Even Captain Falcon was a stretch, but I understand what you mean. And look at Captain Falcon now. :4falcon:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
how do you think F-Zero's fans feel?
We asked 100 people.
99 of them all said "Give Black Shadow Ganondorf's old moveset, give Ganondorf a new one."
1 said "Mr. E.A.D. for Smash."
ironic because E.A.D. are my actual initials.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

This > Anything I've seen in Metroid.

Zebes may blow but I don't you can actually see Samsu get blown up by it. Nor does it have a scary face.

And this Link also lost his parents at a young age and is later stuck with a creepy old man who likes to piece the ears of people when they are unconsious.
Metroid certainly is dark, but Earthbound is by far the darkest.
That is just my opinion. I know about all of that Gyigas s**t that i now can look at, but i am still afraid of looking at him during the night...and Slenderman...and RED...and my cat...sometimes...Anywhoooze, Earthbound is considered to be the darkest, huh? At least its not so dark in the beginning...then, after some time, s**t starts to get real...
"Give Black Shadow Ganondorf's old moveset, give Ganondorf a new one."
Give someone Falcondork moveset? Or Falcondorf moveset? If former one, what have he done to you?!

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I hear you. I've never played an F-Zero game before so I can't really give an opinion on that. I think I've seen a couple different F-Zero characters before but I'd be hardpressed to remember their names. With Metroid it's hard to think of many other characters that can rep along with Samus other than Ridley. Dark Samus is an assist trophy, and I don't know how many people know or care about the other Hunters in Prime 3.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, this is only a personal belief and highly subjective evidence that should be taken as "possible and personal theory" only, but that stage reveal Tuesday is an indirect evidence for Ridley.

I won't explain everything because it's not related, but I have reasons that the reveal was a tease considering previous events and even Ridley is one of those events. Circumstances leads towards the Greninja case repeating itself, but Ridley case started with a similar way.

All cases that are similar have all this in common: something hidden wasn't told OR wasn't clear which makes people IMPLY the truth. Problem is, this assumption was made on purpose to MISLEADS and DENY the tease.

If you really want to know what it is for the stage reveal, it's who EXACTLY this stage is repping from the roster standpoint. You can think and speculate whatever you want on this question, but the caption doesn't tell and it's really not clear.

On the Ridley case, it would be actually the same thing. Remember my essay? My main argument was that the true responsible for denying him playable wasn't the shadow, but the stage. Circumstances showed me that it would only make sense to be a rep for Ridley as I said that it would be his "home stage". However, just take every evidences as absolute and do not try to link them, it was never told and was not even clear if he talked about the question.

So, since it's not clear (and even at one point presenting evidences that would imply against him), people assumes "deconfirmed" while it is to hide "confirmed". All this because it was intentionally never told what this stage does here exactly for Ridley.

But why I can even get this? Because of circumstances that points to all but deconfirmed. Stuff like being ambiguious, not showing him and even his previous appearance in brawl. You have to INVESTIGATE DEEPER to realise what's going on. But on first impression and no investigation, you just assume and you're happy with that.

You do realise that what I just told happened 3 times, is happening now with your case and I'm almost sure it's happening now with mine?

Because if mine is the actual case, it proves that Sakurai can tease and did teased EXACTLY like this. To even choose the level of waiting and teasing though is just him having fun by SELECTED TARGET.

You are probably the most determinate and most numbered fanbase here so I expect a very special tease (which we can agree is special). I noticed something every time a tease occurred: the first to consider the possibility is the supporters while the first to deny it is dislikers / non supporters. Let's forget too big here and just the direct, that's what happened.

Little mac? Exactly. Palutena? Exactly.

Why? Because supporters are the most likely group of people to go trough the trouble of investigating and finding the evidences to even suggest the tease. Which let's be honest was already done here and you even impressed me at some point to find some stuff.

Do get the pattern now? Seems too weird to do on purpose the same way 3 times and not thinking about a 4th (or 5th in my case) being impossible.

So, I will announce it tomorrow, but that was for me the last thing I needed to declare almost confirmed on Ridley now.

Basically, think what you want, but get hyped.

Last edited:

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I hear you. I've never played an F-Zero game before so I can't really give an opinion on that. I think I've seen a couple different F-Zero characters before but I'd be hardpressed to remember their names. With Metroid it's hard to think of many other characters that can rep along with Samus other than Ridley. Dark Samus is an assist trophy, and I don't know how many people know or care about the other Hunters in Prime 3.
Rundas was my favorite.:cry:

Played this game so much.. The last few hours of the game in the hardest difficulty was so...well.... difficult.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Falcondork = Ganondorf in Brawl. Falcondorf = Ganondorf in Melee. Former one`s name is Falcondorf+Ganondork (Brawl Taunts joke from either Link or Toon Link).
I'd say Falcondorf.
Give that to Black Shadow. :bee:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Hey if were lucky, his epic theme will be in the game.

Also Dark Samus too
Let's hope so, but for some reason some people like to pretend that the Prime games don't exist. I don't get it because they're all amazing games.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Given that the Metroid anniversary is on Wednesday, I'm guessing that we'll get an announcement of a character reveal on Monday, possibly at the end of the Direct.

Then crashboards, because everyone knows what it means.

Then further crashboards during the reveal on Wednesday.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Hey if were lucky, his epic theme will be in the game.

And Dark Samus too
Rundas's battle theme is such a good fit for the Pyrosphere, I'd be shocked if it didn't make an appearance.

TheWozny

Smash Ace
NNID
Woznito
So I downloaded the NES metroid on Wii U. The enemies in the game are absolutely relentlessness. I wonder if Ridley will be the same. Also, happy metroid month from Florida :D

MrBill0327

Smash Cadet
Im kinda worried about a direct reveal it seems like the direct will be heavily about hyrule warriors

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Too lazy to go pages back, but came here to ask...

So what about the Hyrules Warriors direct? since it's in august, does that make it the august direct, meaning no Ridley in august? or do you think there could be something else à la Robin?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
So I downloaded the NES metroid on Wii U. The enemies in the game are absolutely relentlessness. I wonder if Ridley will be the same. Also, happy metroid month from Florida :D
I'm going to say something dangerous...I haven't played NES Metroid, Metroid 2 OR Super Metroid. I've played Zero Mission, Fusion, and all Prime games. Also happy Metroid Month from WV! This has to be the month. I would be shocked if it isn't.

Too lazy to go pages back, but came here to ask...

So what about the Hyrules Warriors direct? since it's in august, does that make it the august direct, meaning no Ridley in august? or do you think there could be something else à la Robin?
Nintendo has held several directs in the same month before. So chances of having an actual direct with Smash news seems likely to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Happy Metriod Month to you as well my fellow Floridian, this is our Month Ridley thread :bee:

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You will be REALLY disappointed. He just
jumps and shoots fireballs. Very annoying fireballs.
Open the spoiler if you want to know why.

Remember that Wolf and Andross VS Fox even match in Brawl? What if Ridley and Dark Samus vs Samus (player) match would be in Sm4sh? Or Ridley and Mother Brain VS Samus (player)?

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to say something dangerous...I haven't played NES Metroid, Metroid 2 OR Super Metroid. I've played Zero Mission, Fusion, and all Prime games. Also happy Metroid Month from WV! This has to be the month. I would be shocked if it isn't.
that isn't dangerous. I've only played prime hunters, other M, and just started the prime trilogy this week.:nifty:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I feel like I need to break something down about the Hyrule Warriors Direct. I was digging through the Nintendo Direct Archive and I noticed a few important things:

1) Starting December 2013, each General Direct has had an SSB4 Newcomer at some point in them.
2) Game-Centered Directs do not typically have an SSB4 Newcomer at some point in them.
3) Pausing the Directs at random points can get you some pictures of Mr. Iwata with some...interesting facial expressions.
4) General Directs currently seem to occur bi-monthly, meaning that they happen every other month (not twice a month).

Disregarding Point 3, all points are useful to the precise timing of Ridley's reveal.
June 2013 [E3]: :4megaman::4villager: :4wiifit:
December 2013: :rosalina:
February 2014: :4littlemac:
April 2014 [Smash Direct]: :4greninja:
June 2014 [E3]: :4mii: :4palutena: :4pacman:

Robin is not included but he's an exception due to being specially announced by the website. Click any of the character icons to watch the trailers.

August is in the bi-monthly cycle of General Directs. Unless something like what happened to Robin occurs early next month, this month (August) is the last chance to relay any smash news to us fans. There's nothing stopping a General Direct or a second Smash Direct from happening this month, either. April had a Smash Direct, Tomodachi Life Direct, and a Mario Kart Direct. Other months have also had a General and a Game-Centered Direct in them, too. Sakurai is no idiot, we'll get Smash news this month. When I started writing this, I wanted to prove that there would be a character on Monday, but the more I searched, the more I found that it was likely to be in a General Direct this month. So keep your expectations low. All signs point to no character/villains trailer (including Ridley) for Monday. Afterwards is a different story. Keep your spirits high, because August is the month of Metroid! Thank you for reading all of that, but if you didn't, here's the lazy chart about how the points relate to Ridley's reveal:

Point 1 - Ridley could very well be the corresponding reveal for August's General Direct.
Point 2 - Ridley will not be revealed Monday, nor will any character.
Point 3 - Nothing really...
Point 4 - August lands in the Cycle of General Directs, and all evidence points to Ridley being revealed then.

Even if he isn't revealed pre-release (which would be a stupid idea on Sakurai's part), there's always the chance that he'll be a secret character.
Amen

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
That is just my opinion. I know about all of that Gyigas s**t that i now can look at, but i am still afraid of looking at him during the night...and Slenderman...and RED...and my cat...sometimes...Anywhoooze, Earthbound is considered to be the darkest, huh? At least its not so dark in the beginning...then, after some time, s**t starts to get real...

Give someone Falcondork moveset? Or Falcondorf moveset? If former one, what have he done to you?!
red?

oh, from that NES godzilla creepypasta? that is one of my favorites...

...speaking of creepypastas... you'd think there would be some based on the metroid games.

ridley is the perfect choice for a good creepypasta... hell, this entire wait for ridley's reveal is scary by itself...

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
You will be REALLY disappointed. He just
jumps and shoots fireballs. Very annoying fireballs.
Open the spoiler if you want to know why.

Remember that Wolf and Andross VS Fox even match in Brawl? What if Ridley and Dark Samus vs Samus (player) match would be in Sm4sh? Or Ridley and Mother Brain VS Samus (player)?
they are however, very annoying fireballs. so thats relentless

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
red?

oh, from that NES godzilla creepypasta? that is one of my favorites...

...speaking of creepypastas... you'd think there would be some based on the metroid games.

ridley is the perfect choice for a good creepypasta... hell, this entire wait for ridley's reveal is scary by itself...
Yes, this one, that red (it would be weird if he would be blue if he is called RED) guy who is also going to be playable in one game...it was called something like Colossal Kaiju Combat or something like that...

There was one about Metroid that was kinda meh...and Ridley got closer to his classic design:

He just needs less eyes, a bit different head and wings without hands.

they are however, very annoying fireballs. so thats relentless
You can freeze them or go get Wave Beam, 2 energy tanks if you don`t have any, then jump under the platform, shoot Ridley while jumping to avoid getting damaged too much, and you are winner without any problems. Kraid is harder than him. Still, he is more difficult than Bowser in Super Mario Bros.

Last edited:

Poopmin

Smash Ace
NNID
HotelMario
You know what I just thought, what if Sakurai disconfirmed Ridley today, to commemorate "Metroid Month"

What was supposed to be a happy joyous day was turned into a nightmare

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The best way to troll us would be to announce a different Metroid character, like Rundas or Weevil.

But I'm pretty sure that if there's another Metroid rep, it'll be Ridley. This fanbase is just too passionate to overlook.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
You know what I just thought, what if Sakurai disconfirmed Ridley today, to commemorate "Metroid Month"

What was supposed to be a happy joyous day was turned into a nightmare
The best way to troll us would be to announce a different Metroid character, like Rundas or Weevil.

But I'm pretty sure that if there's another Metroid rep, it'll be Ridley. This fanbase is just too passionate to overlook.
Then riots will happen. And i will just look at that from the other side of the world, through TV, where no one knows what "Metroid" and most don`t know who "Mario" is, with hot tea in my hand, watching the world burn. And Sakurai laugh.
...that sounds kinda weird...

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It's kind of interesting. When I came here, I honestly didn't care about Ridley. I'm a long time Metroid fan, but my opinion on his inclusion was just "meh".

Then I came to this thread. You guys are so awesome, so hopeful, so enthusiastic. It's kind of infectious. If Sakurai does pay attention to fans at all (and we all know that he does at least monitor fan desires and expectations), I can't see how he can't have taken this fanbase into consideration.

From the detailed arguments, to the mods with Ridley playable, to some gorgeous fan art, to some hilarious cartoons.

Ridley is one of the luckiest characters in gaming to have a fanbase so devoted, enthusiastic, and creative. That cannot go unrecognized, and that is, to me, the biggest indication of his announcement. That I don't believe Sakurai would troll fans on something like this. He may be a massive troll, but he also does his best to be respectful and caring towards the gamers.

I came into this thread hyped for the epic possibility of a villain trailer. Now I'm hyped to see Ridley's reveal. Bring our villain home, Sakurai.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Then riots will happen. And i will just look at that from the other side of the world, through TV, where no one knows what "Metroid" and most don`t know who "Mario" is, with hot tea in my hand, watching the world burn. And Sakurai laugh.
...that sounds kinda weird...
sakurai will laugh as he is swallowed by the flames?

wow, he really is self-destructive.

but, yeah... if we dont get ridley... hell will be raised.

this world will be scorched and there will be naught but ash.

also, i think it sounds weird because in a place that knows nothing of metroid or mario, they probably wouldnt have electricity... let alone TVs and hot tea...

Last edited:
Top Bottom