1. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 140,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 14 million posted discussions!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2. The official Nintendo White Controller is on sale for under $40 right now! Get it before the price increases!

3. Trying to find the perfect gift? Use the Smashboards Store to get awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - Living in the Detractor's Paradise

Discussion in 'SSB4 Character Discussion' started by Oasis_S, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Oasis_S

Oasis_S Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    0087-2694-8630
    [​IMG](Thanks to N3ON for this banner)

Gonna have to nip that other one in the bud. Sorry ChronoBound.

SO YEAH, Ridley is pretty much inarguable. Don't even have to make a big post about it.

Guess I could post my moveset or whatever. I'll edit that in later.

Look, see, an edit:

Here's some size suggestion stuff courtesy of Mario_and_Sonic_Guy. I'd advise not even bringing up "he's too big" argument, because it's really dumb and no one wants to waste their time showing you why you're dumb just to here you say "OOOOHHHHhhhhh" or "Sorry, but I'm dumb and choose not to understand as a defense mechanism so I can feel like I'm right, even though I only believe the argument is true because I saw someone say it once long ago and it sounded kind of convincing at a glance so I believed it kind of like that time my brother told me the Earth's seasons are caused by the Earth's orbit being closer to the sun in the summertime." Just, I dunno, sit down for a minute, practice some critical thinking, and you won't make a terrible mistake. ANYWAY, here:

2. Con0rrrr

Con0rrrr samurai plz

• Premium
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Con0rrrr
    [​IMG]
    Hello everyone! Thanks to @IsmaR I have been given the second post here on this Ridley Support Page! What I plan to do here is compile some of the best posts/videos by forum-goers on this thread over the past few months. A couple of disclaimers first of all
    • This is all Post Smash Direct evidence. This means after Ridley's shadow was shown in the April direct
    • This post is not meant to prove to you that Ridley is for sure playable, it is instead here to inform you on evidence you may not have know otherwise due to most media sites not reporting such evidence. If you came here spouting "Ridley is too big idiots", chances are, we sent you here.
    • The reason I felt called to create this post is for a couple reasons.
      1. I was once someone who didn't care for Ridley's inclusion. I am a Metroid fan, as well as a Ridley fan, but I never really cared, I still don't care too much about Ridley's inclusion, though I am certainly more wanting of his playability now that I have been on this thread for a few months now.
      2. I was convinced that Ridley at least has a better chance than not due to most of the posts that I will be showing below. I also assumed Ridley was deconfirmed after the shadow was showed, but then was turned in the complete opposite direction due to the analyst in this thread
      3. There began to be spam in the thread by Ridley detractors calling us stupid for believing he still has a chance. It would either in up in a flame war, or it would end up unneeded spam of past "great posts". We needed a mega-thread for these posts and I took it upon myself to create one.

GENERAL EVIDENCE:
    Alright, below you will see General Evidence relating to Ridley's playability in Smash Bros. 4. This includes anything from Essay's, to general thinking logic on how we should look at Sakurai's teasing.

• The @aldelaro5 essay is a great example of someone not biased towards Ridley looking at the evidence that has been presented and drawing his own inclusions from it. Overall a great read.
    • DDD Post. Not much to say, overall great post by @ddd87
    • Great Post by @majora_787 on why it makes 0 sense for Sakurai to be hyping Ridley as a stage hazard
    • Post by @Zem-raj on how Sakurai will usually outright dec-confirm characters, instead of being vague, which happens to be what he is doing with Ridley
    SHADOW EVIDENCE:

Coming out of general evidence, you may already be thinking differently than you were before. But if you're not, maybe this will convince you, it is actually what convinced me. What you are about to see is Shadow Analysis'. Yep. The exact shadow that people are saying deconfirmed him as a stage boss? Turns out, it actually works out in favor of supporters more than detractors. Have a look for yourself.

• First up we have @Smashoperatingbuddy123 and his two phenomenal posts analyzing Ridley's shadow. In fact, this was the first post that began to turn me from "He's not in" to "He has a more for him than against him"
    Head comparison:

Body Comparions:

Unfortunately, Smashboards is being EXTREMELY glitchy right here, so until a mod can do this themselves, or Smashboards gets a fix, I will have to link you to the exact post here, just look under the tab "Body Comparisons"

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...-splounge-water.324284/page-637#post-16728288

• Next up,we have the excellent Shadow Analysis by @Dalek_Kolt
    • This next one is in fact just pictures. But it is more than that. It is the best interpretation of Ridley's size based solely on the shadow. It is the most accurate representation of his actual size in game. Judging by this size, as well as his speed, it seems very obvious that Ridley is in fact playable. By @Angelglory
    MISCELLANEOUS EVIDENCE/THEORIES:

Next up is, well, the rest of it! These are extra theories that don't belong in the general section but are great theories that show how Sakurai is potentially teasing Ridley!

• First we got @Nietona with a great post summarizing the Trophy Theory. I actually specifically asked them to create this, so special thanks to them!
    • Though I don't usually like theories with a deadline, I wanted to include this one. @BlueBubbee compiled a list of Metroid anniversary's in the month of August, this potentially could be the time for a reveal, though I would not be surprised if Ridley was secret till launch
    • One more thing
    And thus concludes the post! I may update it with some more posts along the way, but considering we're so close to launch, I may leave it as is and fix a few glitches.

Again, this post isn't to make you change your stance on Ridley, it is to shut up the "toobigots" and to prove that Ridley has more of a fighting chance than almost any other character in the running. Thank you for viewing my post. If you learned something, drop a like!
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014 at 12:58 PM
  3. Young Horsetail

Young Horsetail Smash Hero

3DS Friend Code:
    2793-0906-0731
    Noooooo! Oasis should've made this topic
    Johnknight1 likes this.
  4. Claire Diviner

Claire Diviner Oerba Dia Diviner

Oh yes, I've been waiting for "that guy" to post a Ridley thread.

Honestly, I say his chances are quite high right now. He's the only real rep for the Metroid series that will bring in a Metroid antagonist as a playable character. Metroid has no other characters outside of Samus and ZZS. Sure, people can count hunters or supporting casts, whether it's Noxus, Gandrayda, Trace, Melissa Bergman, or Adam Malkovich as potential candidates, but it's Ridley who has had the most impact in the Metroid series, not just as a recurring antagonist, but his ties to Samus really cuts deep.

He started off a a cameo in the background in Smash 64, became a trophy in Smash Bros. Melee, then was promoted to the status of boss in Brawl, so it's a fair bet to say that the next step for the dragon-like Space Pirate leader is that of a playable character. And size, as
    Mario_and_Sonic_Guy stated, is not an issue. In fact, I think the biggest issue would be animation, what with all of the intricate details to Ridley. But seeing as the Wii U is far above the Wii in power, and the fact they have more than just Project Sora developing Smash 4 (Namco-Bandai, in this case), there is no excuse to not include Ridley this time around.
    Cen Silver likes this.
  5. GTA_Hater_331

GTA_Hater_331 Smash Journeyman

To Young Horsetail and Sol Diviner: What's with the stigma against me? Otherwise, I agree with everything you said except for one thing: When the time comes for future installments to add another character, the next one after Ridley should be Dark Samus to represent Echoes and Corruption.
    ChozoBoy likes this.
  6. Claire Diviner

What stigma? When I said "that guy", I meant that one person who would finally make a Ridley thread, I didn't care who.

Before we derail the topic any further, my say on Dark Samus is that she can either be an alternate costume for Samus, or the developers will need to make sure they don't create a Samus clone; a Luigification is fine, but seeing what Dark Samus can do, it shouldn't be too hard.

Now with that out of the way, I would imagine Ridley's Down B to be similar - if not, identical - to his tail dragging move from his Brawl boss fight. When I think of Ridley's fighting style, along with his plasma breath, I also think of his tail. It doesn't have to be as devastating as it was in Brawl in terms of damage output, but the way I see it working is that the longer you hold B, the farther he'll drag his tail until he reaches the end of the platform. If the opponent's caught in his tail, they'll be dragged as far as Ridley can go. An idea for a "Ridleycide" is using the move off the stage and catching your opponent with the tip of the tail as he drags them downward toward the lower blast zone. Any thoughts?
  7. GTA_Hater_331

GTA_Hater_331 Smash Journeyman

My apologies for accusing you. I agree that the Tailgrind would work better than the forward strike, and the Multi Missiles should be his >B instead. Egg Roll and Rollout involved characters either coasting to a stop, or speeding out of control until they stopped, but with this Tailgrind, it would work a lot like the Spinner from Twilight Princess, except no changes in speed, and Ridley could probably stop whenever.
  8. Claire Diviner

My point exactly. The trick, however, is making sure it isn't too broken where it comes out fast and can deal devastation to the opponent, or too useless where it becomes easily telegraphed and predictable, allowing the opponent to block and punish him too hard. That said, should the opponent block, Ridley can still keep going, but he'll just pass by the opponent as he continues to grind his tail, that way, it won't be too beast enough as it currently sounds in concept.
  9. Oasis_S

Oasis_S Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    0087-2694-8630
    Gross. You made the Ridley thread?

Was waiting for ChronoBound.
    Pacack likes this.
  10. Holder of the Heel

Holder of the Heel Pranked!

3DS Friend Code:
    1332-7720-7283

I think making a big post is fitting though.

Considering Ridley is too big for Smash.
  11. Oasis_S

Oasis_S Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    0087-2694-8630
    ARE YOU HAPPYcaps.

All you other guys made weird titles.
    Johnknight1 likes this.
  12. Young Horsetail

3DS Friend Code:
    2793-0906-0731
    Work those suckers to death Oaster and claim this topic be the STRONGEST Ridley for Sm4sh-topic!
  13. Shorts

Shorts I'm gonna kill you <3

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    3136-6583-3704
    This feels, right.

:phone:
  14. AetherEch0s

AetherEch0s Smash Journeyman

15. Oasis_S

Oasis_S Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    0087-2694-8630
    I know right? Huge. I'll organize a better first post eventually, but I like just saying it how it is to get dumb people to try and tell the thread we're wrong, only to get TOLD.

What is there to even discuss?

Will Ridley be a starter or unlockable? If he's a starter, he'll be revealed early on. If he's unlockable, this thread is going to have it rough for like three or four years. There's good reason to make him either a starter or an unlockable.
  16. Claire Diviner

With two Ridley threads, that just shows how much love Ridley gets. In my opinion, excluding Ridley in playable form for the next Smash Bros. would be criminal.

I know I already said this in the other thread, but why not have his Down B similar to his tail grind from his boss encounter in Brawl? I can't really see Ridley using some deflector, though I can also see the argument that:

A) He's using Space Pirate tech.
    B) Other characters, like Fox, never had reflectors prior to their Smash Bros. debut.

Still, the moveset's rather nice.
  17. AetherEch0s

AetherEch0s Smash Journeyman

I can see him as a starter, being shown for hype in the trailer.
    PlesiosaurOnDaRoof likes this.
  18. Holder of the Heel

3DS Friend Code:
    1332-7720-7283

NO way Ridley would be a starter. Can you not imagine doing something with Samus to unlock him and having to battle him typical Newcomer style using Samus.

It just seems the way it should be.
  19. Young Horsetail

3DS Friend Code:
    2793-0906-0731
    Holder's ideas are fabulous.
  20. MasterWarlord

MasterWarlord Smash Champion

My favorite bit is just the fact that when asked about Ridley by Nintendo Power, Sakurai replies that Ridley would be possible, but he'd be slow.

Because Ganondorf is just a marathon runner.
    Cobalsh and Johnknight1 like this.
  21. Oasis_S

Oasis_S Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    0087-2694-8630
    YEAH, but you could have said the same about Bowser or Dedede. With so few BIG NAME characters left, feels like having K. Rool and Ridley as starters would be fine. BUT AT THE SAME TIME, you need some surprises like Mewtwo to be unlockable as well.

It's kind of a tough call. THOUGH, assuming Charizard stays, which I completely expect, perhaps having THE OTHER DRAGON unlockable makes sense. I mean, not really the most satisfying of reasons, buuut. Variety.

Also wow, I forgot I even made his down special a "deflector." BUT SOL. It's something he did in Other M. Just something his body is capable of, not anything to do with technology.
  22. Holder of the Heel

3DS Friend Code:
    1332-7720-7283

You can't exactly compare Ganondorf's shape with Ridley's. Moving that long limbed giant body is different than a tall humanoid running, there are no mechanical issues in the latter. Not saying it can't be done, but the different cases cannot be compared to each other at all.

@Oasis, yeah I see what you mean. I just see Ridley more so as a "boss" enemy like thing that must be unlocked, as opposed to King Dedede or Bowser who actually seem fitting to be among their protagonists. Getting ambushed by a newcomer Bowser or Dedede just wouldn't have the same affect as Ridley surprising you and attacking.

With a Metroid stage and the music, it would definitely have an amazing atmosphere. Possibly one of the best characters to be made unlockable in that sense.
  23. smashbot226

smashbot226 Smash Master

Yo character is so big, they had to give him three boss fights.
  24. Shorts

Shorts I'm gonna kill you <3

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    3136-6583-3704
    "Lololol, oh ****, these guys are serious.."

25. Hyper_Ridley

Hyper_Ridley Smash Champion

He actually has a move like this in Other M. :bee:

On that note, I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley shows up in his Other M incarnation, which wasn't as lanky and therefore won't run into as many resizing issues.
  26. Oasis_S

Oasis_S Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    0087-2694-8630
    But Other Ridley is so god damn ugly. U3U

I'd rather we got nothing from Other M, aside from music I GUESS. What a troll move it is to make Ridley fans wait until after such a HORRID Ridley is designed to put him into Smash.

OH WELL, I will accept you no matter what, Ridley.
  27. PsychoIncarnate

PsychoIncarnate Smash Obsessed

3DS Friend Code:
    4554-0155-5885
    Nintendo Network ID:
    PsychoIncarnate
    Figures the only character with multiple threads would be Ridley
    Johnknight1 likes this.
  28. Venus of the Desert Bloom

Venus of the Desert Bloom The answer to your question....was yes.

• Premium
    • Back Roomer
    Nintendo Network ID:
    VenusBloom

Ridley needs to be in Smash.

But I say keep this one and lock the others. This is the only true Ridley thread.

Johnknight1 likes this.
  29. GiantBreadbug

GiantBreadbug Smash Ace

3DS Friend Code:
    5327-0910-4273
    The Command Grab gives me happiness.
  30. Oasis_S

Oasis_S Smash Legend

3DS Friend Code:
    0087-2694-8630
    If I had actually given the Specials names, I would have been very clever and called his command grab the "High Command Grab." Y'know, because he's part of the Space Pirates' High Command.

Strong.
  31. ---

3DS Friend Code:
    1719-3728-6991
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Tryphen
    Finally an Oasis Ridley thread. So Strong.

Oddly enough that's pretty much how I picture him fighting. Running/Flying up and grabbing an opponent with his tail and just plain ripping them apart. FYI Ridley's fighting style in my head is similar to Firebrand's from UMvC3.
    Johnknight1 likes this.
  32. Claire Diviner

Huh, I must not remember, and I actually own
    Other M. In that case, carry on. :laugh:
  33. Mario_and_Sonic_Guy

Mario_and_Sonic_Guy Cosmic Beauty

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    5327-1637-5096
    Nintendo Network ID:
    TPitch5
    I did mention Ridley being a mid-heavy character. Compared to Charizard, Ridley is quite lanky, so you'd expect him to be a lighter character.
  34. BKupa666

BKupa666 Moderator

Ordering you to SEIZE the Coconut, you lunkhead!
    Ridley doesn't seem the type to be a super heavyweight, but I'd think he'd be at least heavier than Samus, rather than awkwardly lighter than her as a middleweight.

35. Pieman0920

Pieman0920 Smash Master

Ridley's actually quite emaciated, but it would be weird if he were light weight.

Anyways, Ridley has my full support, though I would expect him to be a hidden character, so I would also expect that if he were in, we wouldn't know for a while.
  36. Mario_and_Sonic_Guy

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    5327-1637-5096
    Nintendo Network ID:
    TPitch5
    More around Wolf's weight level was what I was thinking for Ridley.
  37. Conviction

Conviction Pleasure of Pain

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    1907-8951-4471
    You're welcome with your moveset Oasis.

Origins.

@M_S: Wolf is the 7th heaviest iirc
  38. vicgur

vicgur Smash Ace

I'm a Metroid fan, and I aprove this message.
  39. BKupa666

BKupa666 Moderator

Ordering you to SEIZE the Coconut, you lunkhead!
    Wolf is lighter than Samus. Don't you think a dragon who would have to be sized down to be playable ought to be heavier than the character he can drag along walls in one fist?
    SchAlternate and ChozoBoy like this.
  40. Mario_and_Sonic_Guy

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    5327-1637-5096
    Nintendo Network ID:
    TPitch5
    Actually, Wolf is 14th heaviest in Brawl.

Lightweight characters aren't always considered weak though. Even if Ridley's weight is lower than Samus's, he could still back it up with raw power.