• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

KiraYoshikage

Smash Journeyman
After the Direct I was "Grasping straws" mode.

One day later, I actually thought about it and calmed down. My belief in Ridley being in the game is absolute.
Yeah. It's really easy to give up hope but then you think with some reason later on and see that something is up. I gave up for a while but then i thought about how fishy the whole shadow deal was.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

I'm trying to get it out there that he has tried to blindside us before, as the person I was replying to said that Sakurai would never want to trick the fans. Do you know how many people thought that was Mewtwo? The point basically is that Mewtwo is one of the biggest hoped for characters (along with Ridley of course, but for some reason people have more faith in Mewtwo), and Sakurai basically said ":yeahboi:" and then pulled the bag over us Pokemon fans' heads. I wasn't saying anything about hinting at all, just that Sakurai basically gets 3 years per decade to be the biggest troll in the gaming industry.

And now,

I don't know how big of a Pokemon fan you are (if at all, idk) but I'm going to pretend that none of you are at all.
Most Pokemon fans know that psychic energy in the Pokemon games basically comes in two colors: blue and pink.

Mewtwo has demonstrated the ability to use both types of Psychic Energy, so the blue water in Greninja's trailer could very well have been blue Psychic if it were in fact Mewtwo.

Sorry for the long and cocky post.
I'm lost, How has people thinking it was Mewtwo in Greninjas trailer when that wasn't Sakurais intention got to do with showing what is definitely Ridleys shadow and is clearly being vague about him?

And yes, I'm a Pokemon fan, I've played every generation except for gen 2 (But HeartGold is one of my favourites) And my favourite pokemon are Lugia, Victini and Greninja.

NEVER MIND, your basically saying Sakurais a troll, (But I don't think Mewtwo is a good example since having pokemon from various generations is better then a bunch from gen 1)

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I'm lost, How has people thinking it was Mewtwo in Greninjas trailer when that wasn't Sakurais intention got to do with showing what is definitely Ridleys shadow and is clearly being vague about him?

And yes, I'm a Pokemon fan, I've played every generation except for gen 2 (But HeartGold is one of my favourites) And my favourite pokemon are Lugia, Victini and Greninja.
You see, if I say the real answer (which is "nothing at all"), I'll probably be kicked from the thread, so I need to try to science and think of how it ties in.

Sakurai teased Ridley in the direct, he also sort of teased Mewtwo with Greninja (not really though). Long story short: Sakurai is a troll.

I'm lost too.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
Am I the only one around here that didn't lose faith for a minute or two after the april direct?
There is indeed a few people who didn't give up even for a minute....I'm not one of them, I jumped the ship for a few days only to be brought back to my feet by new Ridley supporters who begin to believe in Ridley after what I thought was the end.

The anger and disappointement I felt that day howewer is still here.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The Direct had a weird effect of making me less pessimistic than I was before.

Probably because I hit rock bottom briefly once they "disconfirmed" EVERY Metroid character aside from Spamus for about 3 seconds.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You see, if I say the real answer (which is "nothing at all"), I'll probably be kicked from the thread, so I need to try to science and think of how it ties in.

Sakurai teased Ridley in the direct, he also sort of teased Mewtwo with Greninja (not really though). Long story short: Sakurai is a troll.

I'm lost too.
:joyful:Lol:joyful:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The Direct had a weird effect of making me less pessimistic than I was before.

Probably because I hit rock bottom briefly once they "disconfirmed" EVERY Metroid character aside from Spamus for about 3 seconds.
The direct gave us 100% confirmation that Ridley was in the game in some form. So there's that

(You switched avatars while I was catching up and it confused the hell outta me xD )

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
It's funny how people compare Ridley with Charizard to point why he shouldn't be in ("he'd be a clone"), yet they ignore that Charizard is, like, the main proof of why Ridley can function as a playable character (big character, has wings and a tail, been promoted from NPC to playable between games).

EDIT: Also, the fact that Charizard proves that the relative scale between each other member of their particular series isn't always consistent (Pikachu is a fifth of Charizards height, but it reaches up to his shoulders. Ridley is only twice Samus' height, the change in height would be even less drastic)

Last edited:

Xhampi

Smash Lord
If wonder which Metroid character people would have supported next smash if ZSS really had been cut from this game and Ridley is a boss :
-ZSS ?
-Ridley ?
-Both ?

Just to imagine the flamewars who would have resulted from this kinda scares me.

majora_787

Smash Hero
After the Direct I was "Grasping straws" mode.

One day later, I actually thought about it and calmed down. My belief in Ridley being in the game is absolute.
Yeah at first I was "Wait, what? No? D:" But then I was "Wait, what happened?" And by the end of the day I was "Oh. Nevermind. ._."

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
I need to try to science
For SCIENCE!:awesome:

Anyways, the April Direct had no effect on me. Granted, I am a fairly cynical and pessimistic individual, not to mention that was around the time I quit my neutrality and joined this thread, but still, I remained ever vigiliant! (Great, now I sound like a horribly comic book character...)

I think someone's been spiking my splounge water again...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The direct gave us 100% confirmation that Ridley was in the game in some form. So there's that
I had no doubt of that given that Ridley's the only NPC (aside from Dedede I guess) that appeared in some form for every game thus far.

(You switched avatars while I was catching up and it confused the hell outta me xD )
I regret nothing. Except that I have avi-itis

It's funny how people compare Ridley with Charizard to point why he shouldn't be in ("he'd be a clone"), yet they ignore that Charizard is, like, the main proof of why Ridley can function as a playable character (big character, has wings and a tail, been promoted from NPC to playable between games).

EDIT: Also, the fact that Charizard proves that the relative scale between each other member of their particular series isn't always consistent (Pikachu is a fifth of Charizards height, but it reaches up to his shoulders. Ridley is only twice Samus' height, the change in height would be even less drastic)

Trust me, it's a lot better than the days people preached that he'd be a Bowser semi-clone alongside the "Bowser needs to be the biggest character" thing.

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.
Stop reminding me I can't Missile Cancel anymore. ;_;

If wonder which Metroid character people would have supported next smash if ZSS really had been cut from this game and Ridley is a boss :
-ZSS ?
-Ridley ?
-Both ?

Just to imagine the flamewars who would have resulted from this kinda scares me.
Anthony/random Hunters, or probably just the standard "Metroid doesn't have any important characters besides Samus" mindset.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, since most of the popular support thread became the shulk one, I guess I should tell my takes on it at one point.

I just think it's weird. Not to see shulk but the retweet. If you want my opinion, if it was telling shulk was announced, I think that Sakurai would not be happy now. Why he would tell that if Sakurai intentionally teased us for 3 days? I just have the feel that the director would have to be aware anyway since he would be in (that's assuming he's in even though he has good chances with a credible leak backing him up).

So, if Sakurai wanted to do a 3 days tease, I think he would have to be sure that no one tells what would be revealed here. It's just a feeling I have but I don't take this as 100% confirms.

Just imo btw.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
So, since most of the popular support thread became the shulk one, I guess I should tell my takes on it at one point.

I just think it's weird. Not to see shulk but the retweet. If you want my opinion, if it was telling shulk was announced, I think that Sakurai would not be happy now. Why he would tell that if Sakurai intentionally teased us for 3 days? I just have the feel that the director would have to be aware anyway since he would be in (that's assuming he's in even though he has good chances with a credible leak backing him up).

So, if Sakurai wanted to do a 3 days tease, I think he would have to be sure that no one tells what would be revealed here. It's just a feeling I have but I don't take this as 100% confirms.

Just imo btw.
Well it's not like if there is a lot of choices when it comes to newcomer at this point anyway : the Gematsu 3, Ridley, 3rd DK rep, Isaac and MAYBE Dark Pit.

If I was Sakurai I would be countless times more pissed by the gematsu leak than a little tweet, it just tell us when Shulk is probably going to be revealed, but that's it, Shulk hilmself along Chorus Men and Chrom aren't surprises anymore, it was only a matter of "when are they going to be revealed" ?

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hopefully it goes like this:
Background ➝ Cinematic ➝ Boss ➝ Playable Character

I mean, it's not like characters have ever been promoted before. :drohyou:
*cough*:4littlemac:*cough*
:4dedede: also went from a Background character to a trophy to a playable character.
:4charizard: went from a Stage Hazard to a Pokéball Pokémon to a playable character as part of the :pt: to a solo playable character.
:4palutena: went from a part of a Final Smash to a playable character.

Heck, in the same game :rob: went from a common enemy to a playable character, lol.

So yeah, if that can happen to them, why can't it happen to Ridley=???

Random note, but I'm still waiting for like Dillon to go from an Assist Trophy to a playable character in the same game, lol.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well it's not like if there is a lot of choices when it comes to newcomer at this point anyway : the Gematsu 3, Ridley, 3rd DK rep, Isaac and MAYBE Dark Pit.

If I was Sakurai I would be countless times more pissed by the gematsu leak than a little tweet, it just tell us when Shulk is probably going to be revealed, but that's it, Shulk hilmself is not a surprise anymore, it was only a matter of when will he be revealed ?
Oh I forgot Sakurai's probable though on the leak (assuming real but it's shaping more to be).

But still, leak is always not confirmed until ...it is confirmed :) (best logic ever)

So, even then, he's still not confirmed because it's a leak it will never be until proven otherwise. Even considering how much credibility he has, it's still not confirmed but has more chance to be.

Since he's not confirmed, I wouldn't tweet on that.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I had no doubt of that given that Ridley's the only NPC (aside from Dedede I guess) that appeared in some form for every game thus far.

I regret nothing. Except that I have avi-itis
Still, the physical evidence is nice. Even if it was a tease. I was a little worried that with a big story mode gone, there was a chance Ridley would end up as just a trophy. And while I'm still not sure on playability, I have to say we have a lot more going for us this time around than pre brawl, which is nice

+1 cookies for the futurama reference as always

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
And just then, Suddenly, my great muscle mass comes pressing down upon you. Hard and unyielding, like the reality you must face. A rippling reminder you try to forget.

The Strongest in the whole world, who Smiled alongside each one of you. Shared your ideals and crushed your foes. He who now Sneers at you. At what you've lost.

TALKIN' ABOUT YOUR MIND BRO. OBVIOUSLY A STAGE HAZARD NO DUMB SIZE ANALYSIS PHOTOSHOP NONSENSE OR SOME MISGUIDED SENSE OF NOBILITY FOR BELIEF IN A LOST CAUSE IS GONNA CHANGE THAT except maybe DLC I guess???

But like if you wanna change OP that's fine I mean how many times have I already said how okay, albeit trivial, that is.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
So I know it was mentioned before awhile ago and a little bit more recently, but with Monday on the way, how do you guys picture Ridley's reveal trailer going? Be it just him. him and a veteran, or whatever.
So I was thinking about this for a bit while I was doing something, and the idea suddenly came to me. So here's a creative way it could play out:

Samus is kicking some serious ass against Pikachu and Link in a (CGI/Animated) battle. Pikachu keeps shocking them with electrical attacks, so they all have the electricity effect surrounding them (sort of like this). The three get blasted away from each other by Samus, and then they all start to run towards each other. Mid-run, they stop because the walls starts crumbling and shaking. Suddenly, a giant Ridley flies through the wall and scoops the three up. Ridley throws the Smashers against a wall, where they fall to the ground. Ridley looms over them, he's a little more than twice their size. You hear a timer ding and the electrical effect clears off of the three veterans, causing them to double in size and be around the same height as Ridley (except for Pikachu, because, you know, he's tiny). Ridley steps back in shock, and then hunches over and lets out a screech/roar, which causes his title card to show up (RIDLEY somethingsomethingsomething!). He then flies at Link, Samus, and Pikachu. After this, Ridley's gameplay footage starts and the rest goes like a regular trailer.

I hope I described my image in my mind well enough, as stated before: I don't know how to words. If I didn't make anything clear enough please ask me, I want to know what you guys think of my idea for a trailer.

PS: If you couldn't guess, Samus, Pikachu, and Link were all under the effect of a Lightning Bolt item, hence why they were small. I needed to make them small somehow so that I could forward the troll movement.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
And just then, Suddenly, my great muscle mass comes pressing down upon you. Hard and unyielding, like the reality you must face. A rippling reminder you try to forget.

The Strongest in the whole world, who Smiled alongside each one of you. Shared your ideals and crushed your foes. He who now Sneers at you. At what you've lost.

TALKIN' ABOUT YOUR MIND BRO. OBVIOUSLY A STAGE HAZARD NO DUMB SIZE ANALYSIS PHOTOSHOP NONSENSE OR SOME MISGUIDED SENSE OF NOBILITY FOR BELIEF IN A LOST CAUSE IS GONNA CHANGE THAT except maybe DLC I guess???

But like if you wanna change OP that's fine I mean how many times have I already said how okay, albeit trivial, that is.

I got the S thing but I still can't understands most of your posts.

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman
I think that the best Ridley reveal trailer is if its just a recreation of the the Super Metroid intro/ Ceres Space Station incident.I mean most of these Newcomer trailers are about build up and the intro is all that, up until you see Ridley come out of the shadows. Sadly it is too perfect to happen.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
You have to read my posts as if an anime villain was making them.

Anime villain poetry is basically my second language.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Or we could have something semi-akin to the Other M intro. Ridley leaping from the lava and interrupting a battle, and instead of cutting to a really awkward and unnecessary flashback it can cut to gameplay. :awesome:

Chriz_Sevenfold

Smash Apprentice
Honestly if Mewtwo does make it in and Sakurai doesnt use the phrase Mewtwo strikes back, it'd be such a missed opportunity, and for ridley, i still really want a metroid prime style intro video for him, but i theyre prob gonna use other m :(

Chriz_Sevenfold

Smash Apprentice
or imagine like other m ridley is a stage hazard, but meta ridley is playable and they even give him a stage based on the chozo artifact temple from metroid prime :D

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's pretty apparent that the Ridley we've seen who seems to be playable is the Other M Ridley. Though a Meta Ridley retexture would be awesome.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So, dumb question for those to subscribe to the "Ridley can be playable because that's his clone" theory:

If that was the case, why show his shadow? Wouldn't it be more effective a controversy to show off Hazardley so that we could speculate about the original Ridley?

Yeah, I believe the whole Clone theory is BS. Even a cloned Ridley is still Ridley in my eyes.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Inb4 Sakurai goes like "So about stage bosses, you know far back I said there'd be more bosses besides Yellow Devil? Well here's what the Pyrosphere has to offer".

And then, a screen shaking roar is heard, an big shadow raises from the lava floor, and from the edge, a big monster climb onto the stage...!

It's Crocomire! You have to hit it in the face to push him of the edge, but he'll also push you back, so watch out!

Oh and Ridley is playable here's a trailer.

Iddis

Smash Apprentice
@BlueBubbee I liked your reveal idea and i'm glad you explained it was that lightning item type thing, I was soooo confused, haha

Honestly if Mewtwo does make it in and Sakurai doesnt use the phrase Mewtwo strikes back, it'd be such a missed opportunity, and for ridley, i still really want a metroid prime style intro video for him, but i theyre prob gonna use other m :(
He could also say "Mewtwo Returns" but that's if he gets revealed or is a secret charcter

Last edited:

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
I just had an horrible idea ...
What if Ridley was teased as a boss in SSB4 the same way he is teased in almost every metroid games ?(shadows or appearance in the beggining of each game)

I do believe there are evidences for Ridley to be playable and I really wish he'll make in
But I just had this idea to maybe not put my hopes too much high
What do you think ?
Can someone destroy my theory please ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom