• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
After how much Ridley was teased, he won't be DLC. With all that teasing, on release date, he'll be in the game, and I doubt that DLC would add coding similar to Alfonzo just to put a character that's already in the game in again with a different role.
We've only got a small window of chance I'd say, and we'll know pretty quick if he's playable or not come September. So here's hoping!

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I really wish we could use (or at least learn how to use) the 3D Printer the University owns....not just to print wierd and simple art toys we are now learning how to make them in the traditional way....I would even pay if they could print something like this:

RidleyO - Copy.jpg

the figure in the image was supposed to be an action figure of Ridley....but the artist couldn't finish it because the clay he used to do the head and unsfinished body got old...and I also think he give up because of the crazy amount of detail Omega Ridley has...

@TehEpicRyuga What did you say? -u-

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

owned
:troll:
Ridley confirmed to be Nintendo itself. So, he has higher chances than MARIO because what is more important to Nintendo - Mario or Nintendo?

It was posted here already...anyway, it doesn`t matters since not everyone saw it. I doubt he was serious because if he WAS, then...that is impossible. Ridley of course is not Nintendo. But he is not a simple meme and no one thinks so...i hope no one thinks so...

Congratulations, @ AndreaAC AndreaAC , your post is this thread`s post №44444.

Which post in this thread was post #666?

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Found this whilst looking on Miiverse:

Senpai

Super Smash Bros. Series Community

Top Ten Worst Smash Brothers Character Requests: 10) Magnus 9) King K. Rool 8) Zoruark 7) Sora 6) Master Chief 5) Daisy 4) Goku 3) Ridley 2) Shadow (and any other Sega Character) 1) Mewtwo
>Ridley
>Magnus
>King K. Rool
>Sora
>Mewtwo
>"Worst SSB requests"
I don't even...

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Congrats on the 4444th post, Andrea!

Did you know that the Japanese word for "four" is also the same one for "death"? Given Ridley's status as "Cunning God of Death", that must mean something good, huh?

Also, purple is seen as the color of death. Ridley is purple too. Coincidence?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

>Ridley
>Magnus
>King K. Rool
>Sora
>Mewtwo
>"Worst SSB requests"
I don't even...
Was Sora at least once on a Nintendo console? And Mewtwo and Ridley = worst smash bros character requests (along with Shadow and other Sonic characters, but i agree about this requests) while Goku, Daisy and Master Chief is 5-3?!

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Was Sora at least once on a Nintendo console? And Mewtwo and Ridley = worst smash bros character requests (along with Shadow and other Sonic characters, but i agree about this requests) while Goku, Daisy and Master Chief is 5-3?!
Sora has had quite a few Kingdom Hearts games on Nintendo consoles:

- Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories - Game Boy Advance
- Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded - DS
- Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - DS
- Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - 3DS

He still has a chance, but I think he seems more of a PlayStation character if anything.

I can understand Goku (anime character), Shadow (another Sonic character, who's an Assist Trophy in SSB4), Daisy (another mario character, used in spin-offs) and Master Chief (Microsoft character), but Ridley and the rest of the characters? I... what...

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

>Ridley
>Magnus
>King K. Rool
>Sora
>Mewtwo
>"Worst SSB requests"
I don't even...
Sora I can understand. Perhaps Magnus too, he's only in TWO chapters. But the rest? WTF? What the hell is this?

EDIT: And even then, I can think of FAR worse requests than Sora, and far FAR more worse requests than Magnus. Magnus isn't that bad, its just that there's several KI characters that should be playable over him.

Last edited:

UpsilonFox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FLYINGDAVEno2
3DS FC
1134-7457-1617
With how much toobigots refuse to even glance at evidence, and seem to be ideologically apposed to logic, reason and Ridley, it would not surprise me if come the Japanese release when many people unlock Ridley and post pics/videos online if the toobigots were say thing such as "Just because people posted videos of unlocking him doesn't mean he is playable, they just unlocked him as a stage hazard" or "Just because he is playable in Japan doesn't mean he is playable here, he is to big".

EDIT: I apologize for not making it clear that I was joking, I thought using the term "toobigots" would be enough to illustrate this, but I was wrong. This post is not meant to mock all Ridley deniers, just parody the very small group of trolls that come into Ridley support threads on many websites and attack those that want/believe him to be playable without first reading our detailed analysis that leads us to believe him playable.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
With how much toobigots refuse to even glance at evidence, and seem to be ideologically apposed to logic, reason and Ridley, it would not surprise me if come the Japanese release when many people unlock Ridley and post pics/videos online if the toobigots were say thing such as "Just because people posted videos of unlocking him doesn't mean he is playable, they just unlocked him as a stage hazard" or "Just because he is playable in Japan doesn't mean he is playable here, he is to big".
Agreed except for the latter one, that's just STUPID. Yes, toobigots tend to be stupid, but this would be far worse. Never once have characters been cut overseas, even when they planned at one time to do so because said characters never appeared outside of Japan. They'll just be dumbfounded and say "Ridley's too small, he looks ridiculous" and "Ridley should've NEVER been playable."

EDIT: And then they'll petition to have Ridley removed from Smash WiiURS and 4DS.

Last edited:

Zynux

Smash Lord
Too be fair, Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo are horrible requests.

I mean, why are we requesting for characters that are already in the game playable to begin with?! I find requesting them again to be utterly redundant. :denzel:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

owned
:troll:
Well, this is pretty clearly the truth. I think we all need to learn that Ridley is not even a Nintendo, and just accept that Shrek is in the new Smash. Case Closed.

inb4 Shrek is revealed monday:troll:

Last edited:

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
Not thinking that Ridley is likely is different from not wanting him, and there are plenty of people who want him but think he's going to be a boss. This "toobigots" stuff is childish and needs to stop. The fact that people can even use that term unironically makes me cringe.

Spending time knocking down arguments that nobody has even made yet isn't constructive. And painting detractors as people who are desperate to be right, constantly moving the finish line- the irony of this isn't lost on me.

UpsilonFox

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FLYINGDAVEno2
3DS FC
1134-7457-1617
Not thinking that Ridley is likely is different from not wanting him, and there are plenty of people who want him but think he's going to be a boss. This "toobigots" stuff is childish and needs to stop. The fact that people can even use that term unironically makes me cringe.

Spending time knocking down arguments that nobody has even made yet isn't constructive. And painting detractors as people who are desperate to be right, constantly moving the finish line- the irony of this isn't lost on me.
Surely you can tell my post was in jest and not claiming that all Ridley deniers are childish GameFAQs trolls.
Ridley deniers as a whole don't annoy me at all, it is just those that come into this and similar threads and yell at us for believing him playable without first bothering to read our detailed analysis of why he is more than likely playable, and are not open to examining evidence, that annoy me. And it is this very small group of people that I was parodying.
Also I was using the term "toobigots" to make sure that readers knew I was joking, which obviously did not work as intended.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
I have not been here in a few days, and wow is there a lot I need to read through. o_O

I have made some progress on the Ridley Plush, and have created a wire skeleton to show you guys, to see if it is to scale to you or not. Best not rely on just my own eyes after all.
Note: I ran out of wire and need to get more, so, no arms yet.

Measurements:
Tail - 18 inches
Head - 6.3 inches
Wing(Not included joint to body) - 12 inches
Body - 5.5 inches
Legs(total) - 7.5 inches
Again, no arms yet.
Full Length(Tip of nose to tip of tail) - 32 inches

Thoughts? :D

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
"TooBigot stuff is childish", whilst I do think using the term isn't necessary at times, it perfectly describes them: Ignorant to opinions of others, and only believes what they think is right - bigot, and use an outdated argument "too big" that spawned from a stupid meme. Have you actually seen what they call us Ridley supporters? A lot of it is really uncalled for. The term "TooBigot" is nothing compared to the ridiculous language that they use. Got off your high horse.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
Surely you can tell my post was in jest and not claiming that all Ridley deniers are childish GameFAQs trolls.
Ridley deniers as a whole don't annoy me at all, it is just those that come into this and similar threads and yell at us for believing him playable without first bothering to read our detailed analysis of why he is more than likely playable, and are not open to examining evidence, that annoy me. And it is this very small group of people that I was parodying.
Also I was using the term "toobigots" to make sure that readers knew I was joking, which obviously did not work as intended.
My misunderstanding, then. I just see a lot of talk like this and it's hard to tell whats 100% sincere and what isn't. I completely get that negativity can be draining, which is exactly why I'm tired of name-calling.
"TooBigot stuff is childish", whilst I do think using the term isn't necessary at times, it perfectly describes them: Ignorant to opinions of others, and only believes what they think is right - bigot, and use an outdated argument "too big" that spawned from a stupid meme. Have you actually seen what they call us Ridley supporters? A lot of it is really uncalled for. The term "TooBigot" is nothing compared to the ridiculous language that they use. Got off your high horse.
The problem is that I see people complaining about 'toobigots' more than I actually see 'toobigots'. It's a label- it's meant to be derogatory. Any toobigot is wrong by virtue of being one, and you're allowed to make fun of them for shutting out your arguments despite the fact that you're doing the same to them. That's hypocritical- and no, I don't care how much you think you can substantiate your opinion. Even if your argument is more sound than theirs, that doesn't define some kind of objective reality. We're talking about a videogame character.

Giving a name to a particular side of the debate is basically giving license to start pigeonholing people with an undue sense of self-righteousness. And then the straw-manning happens, and everything turns into a big circle-jerk. I'm not trying to take some moral high ground here- I'm just saying the whole thing is plain silly.

And this isn't even mentioning the connotations of the term "bigot."

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

The only time I see people using the term toobigots is when people are only complaining about Ridley being "too big," which DOES HAPPEN ALL THE TIME. Yes, a lot of people simply don't believe Ridley is playable, that's not a problem. The problem is when they try and use the stupid "Ridley is too big" argument, and it DOES happen. I see it all the time; even in this topic I see people pop in and complain about how Ridley is impossible because he's "too big."

The problem is that I see people complaining about 'toobigots' more than I actually see 'toobigots'. It's a label- it's meant to be derogatory. Any toobigot is wrong by virtue of being one, and you're allowed to make fun of them for shutting out your arguments despite the fact that you're doing the same to them. That's hypocritical- and no, I don't care how much you think you can substantiate your opinion. Even if your argument is more sound than theirs, that doesn't define some kind of objective reality. We're talking about a videogame character.

Giving a name to a particular side of the debate is basically giving license to start pigeonholing people with an undue sense of self-righteousness. And then the straw-manning happens, and everything turns into a big circle-jerk. I'm not trying to take some moral high ground here- I'm just saying the whole thing is plain silly.

And this isn't even mentioning the connotations of the term "bigot."
Perhaps it is popping up more often than than the term "toobigot" pops up. And yeah, I kinda agree about the negative connotations of the term "bigot." At the same time... the people who act like that really are doing that... but its definitely something I don't want to be associated with... either way, I do see "too big" arguments far more than you apparently and its just so stupid and annoying.

I mean, hell, Ridley isn't even THAT big in the Metroid games, considering the fact that he's always one of the smallest bosses, and I'd say Bowser is usually far bigger than Ridley (and K. Rool in DKC, DKC3, and DK64; K. Rool isn't that big in Jungle Climber until he makes himself bigger).

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
One problem, though, is that I also see people frequently use the term to describe people who don't want Ridley to be in the game, who are just using his size as an excuse, or detractors in general. It's also possible to think that Ridley is too big to work conventionally, but that he'd be cool to see made real.

Last edited:

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Yeah, i have a lot more time to improve them now. They need to have wings animated too. So, i will replace them and THEN wait for Ridley Nuke to arrive.

At least there is someone sane...
*looks at the comments section*
"I think Skull Kid from Zelda OoT would be cool. He could use his flute to power himself up, or summon minions."
"Knuckles the Echidna, Bomberman, Sora, King K. Rool, & Demise."
"I want Mewtwo, Jeff(earthbound), bomber man, a koopa, Impa, and a Goron. Any of these and I would be happy!!"
...well...unfortunately, there is THIS guys too.
Knux would be l33t, would shed tears of joy.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I have not been here in a few days, and wow is there a lot I need to read through. o_O

I have made some progress on the Ridley Plush, and have created a wire skeleton to show you guys, to see if it is to scale to you or not. Best not rely on just my own eyes after all.
Note: I ran out of wire and need to get more, so, no arms yet.

Measurements:
Tail - 18 inches
Head - 6.3 inches
Wing(Not included joint to body) - 12 inches
Body - 5.5 inches
Legs(total) - 7.5 inches
Again, no arms yet.
Full Length(Tip of nose to tip of tail) - 32 inches

Thoughts? :D
Not big enough.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
To be honest, Bowser is usually twice or three times the size of Mario (without power-ups), and Ridley is usually twice the size of Samus (but sometimes three times the size, but this is due to being influenced by upgrades/phazon/x-parasite). Since we know Samus is 6'3" and Mario is supposed to be 5'1", it would mean that Bowser is 10'2" (x2) or 15'3" (x3), whereas Ridley is 12'6" (x2) or 18'9" (x3). Therefore, since both are often depicted as twice the size of the protagonists (without power-ups/upgrades), Ridley is technically only 2'4" taller than Bowser, which isn't much to be honest. Plus the people who bring up Ridley's size tend to think about Ridley standing up with his legs straight (thinking he's too tall), when that's not a natural stance, he has always been hunched over with his legs crouched. Or they think he's too long, using his flying animation from Brawl as "proof", when Sakurai could just scale Ridley down, and make the tail shorter. Not to mention that Ridley won't be in that stance all the time. At the end of the day, Sakurai has already mentioned about things not being to their proper scale, and doesn't seem at all to care about size canon (basically it's irrelevant to the series). Thus, the size argument against Ridley is ludicrous and a worthless counter argument. Then again, Ridley is supposedly the exception to the rule e_e

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To be honest, Bowser is usually twice or three times the size of Mario (without power-ups), and Ridley is usually twice the size of Samus (but sometimes three times the size, but this is due to being influenced by upgrades/phazon/x-parasite). Since we know Samus is 6'3" and Mario is supposed to be 5'1", it would mean that Bowser is 10'2" (x2) or 15'3" (x3), whereas Ridley is 12'6" (x2) or 18'9" (x3). Therefore, since both are often depicted as twice the size of the protagonists (without power-ups/upgrades), Ridley is technically only 2'4" taller than Bowser, which isn't much to be honest. Plus the people who bring up Ridley's size tend to think about Ridley standing up with his legs straight (thinking he's too tall), when that's not a natural stance, he has always been hunched over with his legs crouched. Or they think he's too long, using his flying animation from Brawl as "proof", when Sakurai could just scale Ridley down, and make the tail shorter. Not to mention that Ridley won't be in that stance all the time. At the end of the day, Sakurai has already mentioned about things not being to their proper scale, and doesn't seem at all to care about size canon (basically it's irrelevant to the series). Thus, the size argument against Ridley is ludicrous and a worthless counter argument. Then again, Ridley is supposedly the exception to the rule e_e
Don't forget this also applies to K.Rool, with him being even taller!

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Don't forget this also applies to K.Rool, with him being even taller!
Since Donkey Kong is a gorilla, he'd have to be between 5'6" to 5'9", K. Rool has been twice and three times Donkey Kong's size.

So that would mean that K. Rool would be at 11'0" - 11'6" tall (x2) or at 16'6" - 17'3" tall (x3).

Thus the overall sizes should be:

2x
Bowser: 10'2"
Ridley: 12'6"
K. Rool: 11'0" - 11'6"

3x
Bowser: 15'3"
Ridley: 18'9"
K. Rool: 16'6" - 17'3"

And no, Ridley's height is not determined by him standing up straight on his legs, that's not his natural stance, and he only did that during Prime or Other M when he was shot with a large blast. His natural stance is his crouched form. Measuring Ridley standing up straight would be like getting a dog to stand on its hind legs and measuring its height from that...

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Since Donkey Kong is a gorilla, he'd have to be between 5'6" to 5'9", K. Rool has been twice and three times Donkey Kong's size.

So that would mean that K. Rool would be at 11'0" - 11'6" tall (x2) or at 16'6" - 17'3" tall (x3).

2x

3x
How tall are we implying that Mario is here? I typically stick with 5'1" because average size.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

2x

3x

And no, Ridley's height is not determined by him standing up straight on his legs, that's not his natural stance, and he only did that during Prime or Other M when he was shot with a large blast. His natural stance is his crouched form. Measuring Ridley standing up straight would be like getting a dog to stand on its hind legs and measuring its height from that...
Basically, Ridley is SLIGHTLY bigger than K. Rool whom is slightly bigger than Bowser. Which is basically how we anticipated he'd appear in this game anyway.

Xhampi

Smash Lord

2x

3x

If you're interested I made that back in June 2013 :

It doesn't really concern ridley in smash but I figured that it can maybe interest you :
I was watching the game theory episode about the morphball when I asked myself a question : how big Ridley actually is ?

So I looked in different wikis but to no avail. I then decided to use their technique to find out how tall is Ridley :

But first thing first, for the people who don't watch game theory here's how were going to do this :
We will calculate how big is a pixel in those game thanks to our knowlage of Samus heigh :
Samus is 6'5" or 1 Meter 96 tall if you prefer.
Knowing this we can learn how big is a pixel by doing this calcul : Samus heigh (77in or 196cm) divided by the number of pixel tall she is the games.
After this we will just have to multiply this number by how many pixel tall Ridley is.

Metroid

In this game Samus is 32 pixel high. Let's do our calcul :
77 divided by 32 = ~2.4
Or 196 divided by 32 = ~6.1
So 1 pixel in the original metroid is equal to 2in 4 or 6cm 1

Ridley in that game is 40 pixel tall so :
2.4 X 40 = 96
Or 6.1 X 40 = 244

So in the original Metroid, Ridley is 96in ( 8' ) or 2m 44cm if you prefer.

Metroid : Zero Mission

In this game Samus is 36 pixel high. Let's do our calcul :
77 divided by 36 = ~ 2.1
Or 196 divided by 36 = ~ 5.4
So 1 pixel in the Zero Mission is equal to 2in 1 or 5cm 4

Ridley in that game is 102 pixel tall so :
2.1 X 102 = 214.2
Or 5.4 X 102 = 550.8

So in the remake of the original Metroid, Ridley is 214in 2 ( 17'9" ) or 5mr 50cm if you prefer.

Super Metroid

In everyone favorite game Samus is 43 pixel high. Let's do our calcul :
77 divided by 43 = ~ 1.8
Or 196 divided by 43 = ~ 4.6
So 1 pixel in the Super Metroid is equal to 1in 8 or 4cm 6

Ridley in that game is 89 pixel tall so :
1.8 X 89 = 160.2
Or 4.6 X 89 = 409.4

So in this game, Ridley is 160in 2 ( 13'4" ) or 4m 09cm if you prefer.

Fusion

In this game Samus is 35 pixel high. Let's do our calcul :
77 divided by 35 = 2.2
Or 196 divided by 35 = 5.6
So 1 pixel in Fusion is equal to 2in 2 or 5cm 6

This game contains 2 Ridley : the Other M's remains and his immitation Ridley X
Ridley's clone remains in that game is 84 pixel tall so :
2.2 X 84 = 184.8
Or 5.6 X 84 = 470.4

So in Metroid Fusion, Other M's Ridley is 184in 8 ( 15'4" ) or 4m 70cm if you prefer.

The immitation is 112 pixel tall so :
2.2 X 112 = 246.4
Or 5.6 X 112 = 627.2

So Ridley X is 246in 4 ( 20'5" ) or 6m 27cm if you prefer.

And people say that Ridley can't change of size ^^

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
One problem, though, is that I also see people frequently use the term to describe people who don't want Ridley to be in the game, who are just using his size as an excuse, or detractors in general. It's also possible to think that Ridley is too big to work conventionally, but that he'd be cool to see made real.
Considering we have to deal with http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/732/710/77b.jpg (NSFW), we are justified to call everyone toobigots

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
And yes, while these heights are canonically correct, Smash isn't always canon (:upsidedown:). Back to a little math a borrowed from a site and put on this thread a few hundred pages back, 5'1" Mario would mean that Charizard is only 6 inches taller (canonically, of course). Smash Bowser can't exactly be 10'2", that just throws off the balance (that or there's a ton of math that I'm skipping that constitutes for this.)

Look guise. six inches!

And Bowser is like Ridley, he's had multiple iterations and sizes, but a large portion of the bigger ones was due to some type of magic (be it Kamek or Power Stars).

Also, take a look at this, from the official Greninja trailer:

This is Greninja standing upright (had to find where he wasn't hunched over) to kick Mario in the face. What's wrong with this? Canonically, Greninja is 4'11"...

Now if Mario is at 5'1" (which is what I believe), something is wrong here.

Now, I heavily support Ridley and I love all of your sizings, but there is so much that is not canon in the Smash series that I just can't stress it enough. It's mostly sizing that aren't canon, but I'm not complaining. All the more reason for Ridley to be in! :estatic:

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And yes, while these heights are canonically correct, Smash isn't always canon (:upsidedown:). Back to a little math a borrowed from a site and put on this thread a few hundred pages back, 5'1" Mario would mean that Charizard is only 6 inches taller (canonically, of course). Smash Bowser can't exactly be 10'2", that just throws off the balance (that or there's a ton of math that I'm skipping that constitutes for this.)

Look guise. six inches!

And Bowser is like Ridley, he's had multiple iterations and sizes, but a large portion of the bigger ones was due to some type of magic (be it Kamek or Power Stars).

Also, take a look at this, from the official Greninja trailer:

This is Greninja standing upright (had to find where he wasn't hunched over) to kick Mario in the face. What's wrong with this? Canonically, Greninja is 4'11"...

Now if Mario is at 5'1" (which is what I believe), something is wrong here.

Now, I heavily support Ridley and I love all of your sizings, but there is so much that is not canon in the Smash series that I just can't stress it enough. It's mostly sizing that aren't canon, but I'm not complaining. All the more reason for Ridley to be in! :estatic:
I think the point is that character sizes are inconsistent even in the franchise. One major argument I see flying around is Ridley's signature trait is him being big. Obviously people don't know anything about Ridley, because he tends to always be one of, if not THE smallest boss in every game. Ridley's signature trait is being fast and powerful, one of the final bosses of the game in most cases, and having led Samus on throughout much of the game.

In this game Ridley would probably be slow moving normally, but he'd have fast attacks that allow him to cover ground and attack quickly.

Top Bottom