• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
IMG_0841.PNG

I personally believe the reason Roidly is so different to Ridley cause the scientist's who were re-creating him were all like "Hey despite being evil and stuff that Ridley was petty cool, but do you know what would be COOLER?"
"More Muscles!"
"Heat detecting Vision"
"Oh oh oh, A Sharper tail Spike!"
"Did you SPIKES?!"
"SPIKES"
"MORE SPIKES"

And then they were all like

and then they did it

and that is my full detailed expiation on why they are so different, please, no questions.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Hey RealTalker's waz up.

Waz gonna say am i the only one expecting a second developer like direct? (smash info blow out)?

Keep a eye on this month if its dry bones & we dont get nothing like in March then they maybe a blow out in august for the JPN Release.

a theory of mine is that he doesnt like spoilers but because we are in the techno age by JPN release everyone will know everything...so why not have the pleasure of officially announcing maybe not all stuff but another round of goodness.

Another thing thats been on my mind more than anything is he kept holding back on telling us what the connectivity between the 2 versions will do...i thought all in good time he will tell us...but then i thought if he is waiting till one of the versions drops first it must be a huge secret feature if so then at the E3 Roundtable he indeed announced that he will let us know after the 3DS version releases + Couple that With Gematsu saying there is a plan for DLC.....

ow my.....something big is being hidden in the WiiU version that we will only know in October thats when the game will be out everywhere for 3DS also its a bimonthly N-Direct month.

Thoughts?
I'm completely up for another Sm4sh Direct to reveal possibly 2-3 chars and a few features before the game drops. What I'm not up for is if they do what they did for the Mario Kart 8 Direct and show off a completely underwhelming roster and announce it's the final roster, with no sign of character DLC in sight.

For example, if they announce that all of the newcomers we know currently (:4greninja::4littlemac::4megaman::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::rosalina::4villager::4wiifit:) along with the Gematsu Leak Newcomers are
all of the newcomers that we're getting, I'm going to be upset. It just feels like it's missing something. Sm4sh is most likely the one game Nintendo is riding on to boost WiiU sales. It's their "big game" of 2014. August is Nintendo's last chance to shock everybody before the game is released and all information is leaked online. That being said, who do you think they'll reveal if they do have a dedicated direct?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Samus: *Lethal Strikes Ridley* My parents are deaaaaaaaad!

Ridley: Hey, Samus. What did your parents gave you as a christmas prese-
Samus: *slaps Ridley* My parents are deaaaaaad!

Samus: Hey, Ridley, how is Kraid doi-
Ridley: *punches Samus in the face* MY COMRADE KRAID IS DEAAAAAD AND YOU WILL BE DEAD SOON TOO!

Chozo: Hey, Old Bird, what`s up with Metr-
Old Bird: *throws a book into that Chozo`s face* HE IS NOT FINISHEEEEED!

Mother Brain: Hey, Sakurai, is Ridley playa-
Sakurai: *turns Mother Brain into assist throphy* HERE IS RIDLEY`S SHADOW I PREPARED FOR NINTENDO DIRECT!
Why can't I like this more than once?

majora_787

Smash Hero
We really shouldn't expect more than a newcomer unless it turns out to be another Smash-centric direct. Which I doubt it will be personally, but who can say really.

EDIT: Have games ever had multiple dedicated directs before?

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm completely up for another Sm4sh Direct to reveal possibly 2-3 chars and a few features before the game drops. What I'm not up for is if they do what they did for the Mario Kart 8 Direct and show off a completely underwhelming roster and announce it's the final roster, with no sign of character DLC in sight.

For example, if they announce that all of the newcomers we know currently (:4greninja::4littlemac::4megaman::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::rosalina::4villager::4wiifit:) along with the Gematsu Leak Newcomers are
all of the newcomers that we're getting, I'm going to be upset. It just feels like it's missing something. Sm4sh is most likely the one game Nintendo is riding on to boost WiiU sales. It's their "big game" of 2014. August is Nintendo's last chance to shock everybody before the game is released and all information is leaked online. That being said, who do you think they'll reveal if they do have a dedicated direct?
I doubt they'll do a direct with more than one newcomer reveal, they've tended to be one new character reveal per direct, even the one that was just smashbros only revealed Greninja.

But all signs point to it hopefully happening at this point.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
View attachment 17631

I personally believe the reason Roidly is so different to Ridley cause the scientist's who were re-creating him were all like "Hey despite being evil and stuff that Ridley was petty cool, but do you know what would be COOLER?"
"More Muscles!"
"Heat detecting Vision"
"Oh oh oh, A Sharper tail Spike!"
"Did you SPIKES?!"
"SPIKES"
"MORE SPIKES"

And then they were all like

and then they did it

and that is my full detailed expiation on why they are so different, please, no questions.
Roidley's...eyes.....did you get the idea from my silly version of Roidley, I guess...?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Resizing Ridley be like:
It's physically and mentally impossible!
But it's already been done! In this thread!

...Oh no! We're already in some bizarro alternate universe aren't we?

domokl

Smash Lord

To be fair mario kart 8 already saved the wii u. But I agree on all your other points

majora_787

Smash Hero
Then I guess maybe. Though we'll have to wait until august to hear about the direct announcement before we know regardless.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Resizing Ridley be like:
It's physically and mentally impossible!
Hahaha. Really, the problem is that simply resizing him won't do. Ridley was designed to be like 4 times the size of Samus. A simple resizing job would make him look miniature. He's got large wings, long limbs, a decently sized head, and a long pointed tail. In order for him to look good at such a small size, they'd have to make a Ridley with new proportions and resize all his separating features individually into a unique Ridley model. It'd be a bit drastic. If memory and knowledge serves correctly, this hasn't been done with any of the fighters before, just simple resizing and maybe some little tweaks to individual body parts here and there.

I've exhausted the "too big" argument but the problem really lies in his shape and proportions.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
Hahaha. Really, the problem is that simply resizing him won't do. Ridley was designed to be like 4 times the size of Samus. A slimple resizing job would make him look miniature. He's got large wings, spread out limbs, a decently sized head, and a long pointed tail. In order for him to look good at such a small size, they'd have to make a Ridley with new proportions and resize all his separating features individually into a unique Ridley model. It'd be a bit drastic. If memory and knowledge serves correctly, this hasn't been done with any of the fighters before, just simple resizing and maybe some little tweaks to individual body parts here and there.

I've exhausted the "too big" argument but the problem really his shape and proportions.
We already have proportions down just check our size comparisons

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Hahaha. Really, the problem is that simply resizing him won't do. Ridley was designed to be like 4 times the size of Samus. A simple resizing job would make him look miniature. He's got large wings, long limbs, a decently sized head, and a long pointed tail. In order for him to look good at such a small size, they'd have to make a Ridley with new proportions and resize all his separating features individually into a unique Ridley model. It'd be a bit drastic. If memory and knowledge serves correctly, this hasn't been done with any of the fighters before, just simple resizing and maybe some little tweaks to individual body parts here and there.

I've exhausted the "too big" argument but the problem really lies in his shape and proportions.
In Brawl they completely re-did meta Ridley's proportions. His wings were shrunk by more than half their length from Metroid Prime 1.

re-proportioning isn't an issue either.

Last edited:

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Oh wait, I saw it. Isn't that just a scaled down Brawl Ridley?

Yeah, that's literally just a scaled down Ridley. See his limbs? Tail? Wings? All over the place man. That's just not enough.

@ Phaazoid Phaazoid They may have rescaled and resized his body and proportions for him to be a boss, sure, but that worked. He was still big, he still looked pretty BA, he still looked like Ridley. But doing that for him to be playable? That'd have to be way different man.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
After doing a bit of research, I found out something rather interesting that may show something about Sakurai's teasing methods. I know stuff like the reveals of Assist Trophies or Palutena are brought up a lot for that topic, but this time I want to focus on Little Mac and the Boxing Ring. It may not mean a whole lot, but I think it's worth pointing out.

So, prior to his reveal, Little Mac was a pretty popular character request (at least, in the West). He was also a boxer, so the obvious (and perhaps only) choice for a stage for him would be a boxing ring. So when Smash 4 was revealed and a generic Smash boxing ring was shown, some people began to worry for Little Mac. After all, if the boxing ring in the game had no ties to Punch Out, that might suggest that Little Mac would not be playable. Now, assuming I didn't miss anything, I counted a total of one pic of the day prior to Little Mac's reveal that actually talked about the boxing ring itself. Despite being shown constantly in random pictures, the boxing ring itself was never the focus. We were left in the dark about whether or not the boxing ring was just a Smash original stage or something more, and as such we didn't have a good idea of how the stage affected Little Mac.

Then Little Mac was revealed and it turned out they were showing us a Punch Out stage all along, but they gave it two separate designs just to hide that fact.

So, what does this have to do with Ridley again? Well, I think you could make a comparison between the boxing ring possibly being a Smash original stage and Ridley possibly being a boss. If either ended up being true, it would have a rather negative impact on the chances of Little Mac/Ridley, and both possibilities were quite clearly shown to us, but never elaborated upon. We constantly saw the Boxing Ring before Little Mac was revealed yet knew almost nothing about it, much like how Ridley has been hinted to be a boss on the Pyrosphere, yet despite all we've seen of it we have very little information on it. In both cases, Sakurai has put something right in front of us yet refuses to elaborate what it is, and in the former case, it ended up leading to the reveal of a highly requested newcomer. Perhaps the same will happen with Ridley?

Hopefully I made all that understandable...

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Smash has never been consistent with its sizings.
Look at the Koopa King, Bowser, and the Flame Pokemon, Charizard.

According to the Pokedex, Charizard is 5'07' (5 foot, 7 inches)

According to a Nintendo-approved "Life Size" Mario Statue, Mario is 5'01". And using this official Mario Character Height Comparison Chart:

and the magic of math, somebody over at the video game forums calculated the heights of the other Mario characters (http://www.vgf.com/forums/threads/vgb-nintendo-characters-height-weight.83443/). According to this, Bowser is 8'7", more than 3 feet taller than Charizard. Does that look like a 3 foot difference?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
After doing a bit of research, I found out something rather interesting that may show something about Sakurai's teasing methods. I know stuff like the reveals of Assist Trophies or Palutena are brought up a lot for that topic, but this time I want to focus on Little Mac and the Boxing Ring. It may not mean a whole lot, but I think it's worth pointing out.

So, prior to his reveal, Little Mac was a pretty popular character request (at least, in the West). He was also a boxer, so the obvious (and perhaps only) choice for a stage for him would be a boxing ring. So when Smash 4 was revealed and a generic Smash boxing ring was shown, some people began to worry for Little Mac. After all, if the boxing ring in the game had no ties to Punch Out, that might suggest that Little Mac would not be playable. Now, assuming I didn't miss anything, I counted a total of one pic of the day prior to Little Mac's reveal that actually talked about the boxing ring itself. Despite being shown constantly in random pictures, the boxing ring itself was never the focus. We were left in the dark about whether or not the boxing ring was just a Smash original stage or something more, and as such we didn't have a good idea of how the stage affected Little Mac.

Then Little Mac was revealed and it turned out they were showing us a Punch Out stage all along, but they gave it two separate designs just to hide that fact.

So, what does this have to do with Ridley again? Well, I think you could make a comparison between the boxing ring possibly being a Smash original stage and Ridley possibly being a boss. If either ended up being true, it would have a rather negative impact on the chances of Little Mac/Ridley, and both possibilities were quite clearly shown to us, but never elaborated upon. We constantly saw the Boxing Ring before Little Mac was revealed yet knew almost nothing about it, much like how Ridley has been hinted to be a boss on the Pyrosphere, yet despite all we've seen of it we have very little information on it. In both cases, Sakurai has put something right in front of us yet refuses to elaborate what it is, and in the former case, it ended up leading to the reveal of a highly requested newcomer. Perhaps the same will happen with Ridley?

And, to compound on that, people would close-mindedly conclude that nothing whatsoever could be determined from teased subject. With the Boxing Ring, it was "Oh, there are all of these references to Punch Out!! with the Sandman light show and the triple-star mat, but no, it could just be Final Destination (lol) so Little Mac's chances are unaffected." With the shadow, it's "We can't entirely tell anything from looking at the shadow whatsoever, so Ridley's chances are up in the air."

Basically, an unwillingness to look deeper into the teasing (and subsequent pressure from those unwilling) can prevent us from seeing things that should be obvious from the beginning. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the analysis of the shadow's size, as well as its visible jump fall into this category in a few months.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
Thing is, is that we know he's in the game, it's just his role in the game that's up in the air, pun intended. I literally see no jump doe, just him flying and then flying in place, and then flying again.

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

I'm not sure how much this goes with your LIttle Mac thing, but upon reading this I remembered something I listened to. Prior to Rosalina's reveal, Sakurai had posted this image:

The purple and yellow attack effects are similar to that of Rosalina's, but nobody knew about Rosalina's inclusion in smash. Is this along the lines of what you're talking about with LM? A small tease before the reveal?

I got this information/idea from the Japan Time Podcast #13 at 17:00 (watch until you see what I'm talking about; they mention the effect.)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So I know the people fascinated (and attracted at times) to anthropomorphic mammals are called "furries."

So... what would those attracted to anthropomorphic/slightly humanoid reptiles (us, I guess) be called?

Also Ridley still needs to work on his Traps and Neck.
people said scallies, but in this case, what about Ridlies?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Thing is, is that we know he's in the game, it's just his role in the game that's up in the air, pun intended. I literally see no jump doe, just him flying and then flying in place, and then flying again.
That actually brings up something else I've been thinking about lately. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, typically, bosses in Smash follow a similar pattern of standing in one place (usually the left or right of the stage they're fought on), attacking from that location, and moving to another location while attacking. That's how the majority of bosses in Brawl functioned, and the Yellow Devil also follows this pattern. The Ridley we saw in the Direct slowly flew in to the center of the stage, stopped, seemingly did nothing, and then slowly flew to the left end of the Pyrosphere, and then immediately turned back. What's strange is that Ridley didn't seem to really do anything in that time he was shown, and considering how slowly he was moving, I find it unlikely that his movement across the stage would actually cause damage to players who touched him. It doesn't seem to match up with what bosses in Smash have usually, and seem to still, act.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Am I the only one who gets creeped out by these humanizations of Ridley

majora_787

Smash Hero
Do Bowser and Ganondorf look like little useless manchildren in Smash? Just wondering. Because their premise as bosses is to be huge and intimidating. And they're not nearly as large in Smash as their usual boss appearances. People who complain about it ruining their character: 0.

The thing is, "being huge and intimidating" is not a character thing. It's a boss thing. Ridley being 12 feet tall and flying forever is only necessary for if he's a boss. If he's playable, JUST like Bowser and Ganondorf, he just needs to be larger than everyone else and big and bulky like his big bulky villain counterparts.

Inb4 Ridley is the exception. As usual.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
That actually brings up something else I've been thinking about lately. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, typically, bosses in Smash follow a similar pattern of standing in one place (usually the left or right of the stage they're fought on), attacking from that location, and moving to another location while attacking. That's how the majority of bosses in Brawl functioned, and the Yellow Devil also follows this pattern. The Ridley we saw in the Direct slowly flew in to the center of the stage, stopped, seemingly did nothing, and then slowly flew to the left end of the Pyrosphere, and then immediately turned back. What's strange is that Ridley didn't seem to really do anything in that time he was shown, and considering how slowly he was moving, I find it unlikely that his movement across the stage would actually cause damage to players who touched him. It doesn't seem to match up with what bosses in Smash have usually, and seem to still, act.
If this is what Ridley behaved like in the Metroid games and in Brawl (i.e. lazily flying around not doing anything) then we'd have no reason to be suspicious of the shadow's movements. But the truth is, he's fast and brutal when it comes to combat style. Given how Sakurai does his best to remain close to original source material, it seems like a massive oversight to have Ridley act so uncharacteristically, especially when he was already portrayed pretty well in Brawl (despite basically being a Dyna Blade clone).

And there's the fact that, as you pointed out, Smash 4 Ridley doesn't even behave like a stage hazard normally does, so the shadow footage doesn't make sense for two accounts.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I know I've brought it up numerous times. Ridley in the direct acts EXTREMELY unbosslike, especially with grabbing Pikachu thoroughly in question. He very slowly floats left, stops, continues floating left, jumps back and to the right slowly, and in all of that time doesn't attack OR move quickly at the very least?

Even when bosses jump it is more like a rocket jump offscreen before they come and slam people into the pavement or rocket across the screen. The Ridley in the direct is moving slightly faster than Pikachu's half-walk. Extremely unimpressive for a boss. If this is a boss, they seriously messed up designing a good boss. Instead of giving us a boss in the form of a large and agile cunning god of death, this boss is more like a Bowser-sized Scyphozoa.

The fact that people ACCEPT this information as a BETTER and MORE LIKELY outcome than a playable character is horrifying, considering this is blatantly awful boss design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom