• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I really don't see how people hold off on thinking the shadow is 0% reliable when we know that shadows are static in size to the models, AND we are able to compare Ridley's shadow clearly and easily to the shadow of ANOTHER large character on the exact same stage. It is literally the ideal comparison.

While of course the main issue is we can't easily determine exactly what his model is doing, if he moves in a way that makes him take up more space and his body's shadow still takes up less room than Bowser's shadow, I would call that easily a really clear sign that he isn't boss-sized.
My issue with shadow work isn't the size(as it looks and seems accurate), but rather the fact a Tiny Bossley, while ludicrous and insulting, is within the realm of possibility. A sad realm of possibility, but one that can happen. Even tiny things can be dangerous, just look at the White Rabbit of Caerbannog!

The shadow work, in its pure essence, just proves Ridley is in the game, and he's rather small compared to his previous incarnations. To say that it confirms him, however, is ridiculous. Not to say that most people think the shadow work 100% confirms him, but some people tend to act like that, which is a tad ridiculous. Likewise, the shadow disconfirming Ridley is a dumb notion.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It was indeed a typo. Haha. I am going to go commit suicide from the shame. Goodbye, everyone. I hope Ridley is revealed. I will ask the mortician to carve his name on my forehead.
At least you didn't wrongly insult...

Yeah I said toofagots instead of toobigots in this thread. Which is annoying because I look like a jerk lol.

majora_787

Smash Hero
My issue with shadow work isn't the size(as it looks and seems accurate), but rather the fact a Tiny Bossley, while ludicrous and insulting, is within the realm of possibility. A sad realm of possibility, but one that can happen. Even tiny things can be dangerous, just look at the White Rabbit of Caerbannog!

The shadow work, in its pure essence, just proves Ridley is in the game, and he's rather small compared to his previous incarnations. To say that it confirms him, however, is ridiculous. Not to say that most people think the shadow work 100% confirms him, but some people tend to act like that, which is a tad ridiculous. Likewise, the shadow disconfirming Ridley is a dumb notion.
I honestly don't think that the shadow confirms Ridley. What I do however think is that the fact that it confirms the concept of Ridley as a stage boss to be exceedingly poor makes the entire notion that Ridley is being teased as a boss even more ridiculous. It's a possibility, but it really does not make any sense.

D

Deleted member

It was indeed a typo. Haha. I am going to go commit suicide from the shame. Goodbye, everyone. I hope Ridley is revealed. I will ask the mortician to carve his name on my forehead.
Make sure that he paints your body purple and implants prosthetic wings into your spine as well.

Might as well go all out since you're dying.

Inb4 someone screams "YOLO".

Also Inb4 Morbid's Cadaverley is introduced as playable in Smash 4.

"Pic of the Day, the real thing was too big so we took inspiration from a recent suicide and decided to put a dead person cosplaying as Ridley in the game instead! Enjoy!"

Last edited by a moderator:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I honestly don't think that the shadow confirms Ridley. What I do however think is that the fact that it confirms the concept of Ridley as a stage boss to be exceedingly poor makes the entire notion that Ridley is being teased as a boss even more ridiculous. It's a possibility, but it really does not make any sense.
But of course! Tiny Ridley as a Stage Boss? Grand heresy! Unless the fundamental concept of Bossley is completely altered by his in-game appearance, like if he swoops dramatically and spews fire and does all sorts of interesting things, current Bossley will be so disappointing that the fathoms of my soul will echo from it. The disappointment, of course.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
But of course! Tiny Ridley as a Stage Boss? Grand heresy! Unless the fundamental concept of Bossley is completely altered by his in-game appearance, like if he swoops dramatically and spews fire and does all sorts of interesting things, current Bossley will be so disappointing that the fathoms of my soul will echo from it. The disappointment, of course.
As much as I want to play as Ridley, I would be okay with him being a boss if they do it right. Brawl did a great job of making him a boss, a less distracting version of that would be fine.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Well that's not so much what I mean.

It's the entire notion of Sakurai teasing Ridley as a boss on Pyrosphere. This means that he is expecting newfound excitement in three things:

1) He is expecting new excitement from something which has literally been done in a different fighting game. Ridley was a boss / hazard on this exact stage in Dead or Alive Dimensions.
2) He is expecting new excitement from a character being in their standard role. Ridley has never been playable before. He was even a boss in the last Smash Bros. game. This is literally going, "Nothing's new! Exciting, huh? HUH??"
3) Sakurai must know boss hazards are not full grade boss battles. They are basically stage hazards you attack. So this is Sakurai teasing a character to be in a DOWNGRADED version of their normal role.
4) The entire notion of Ridley being a boss on that stage means he is a slow, small boss on a stage ten times his size. That's not pointing to good design.
5) Ridley is the only boss to receive this treatment. Dark Emperor and Yellow Devil were explicitly shown and had attention brought to them as soon as their stages were revealed. With Pyrosphere, we had to wait eight months to get a brief shadow and no further acknowledgement.

SO this would mean... that Sakurai is hyping up ONLY one boss, namely the one people frequently request to be playable. He is also hyping up a boss that in concept is poorly designed, is nothing new, and is an objective downgrade from his previous roles.

That entire notion literally does not make sense at any point.

Sure it's *POSSIBLE* that this is the outcome we get. But if it is, I will be EXTREMELY disappointed in Sakurai, and not even because he didn't make Ridley playable.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Well that's not so much what I mean.

It's the entire notion of Sakurai teasing Ridley as a boss on Pyrosphere. This means that he is expecting newfound excitement in three things:

1) He is expecting new excitement from something which has literally been done in a different fighting game. Ridley was a boss / hazard on this exact stage in Dead or Alive Dimensions.
2) He is expecting new excitement from a character being in their standard role. Ridley has never been playable before. He was even a boss in the last Smash Bros. game. This is literally going, "Nothing's new! Exciting, huh? HUH??"
3) Sakurai must know boss hazards are not full grade boss battles. They are basically stage hazards you attack. So this is Sakurai teasing a character to be in a DOWNGRADED version of their normal role.
4) The entire notion of Ridley being a boss on that stage means he is a slow, small boss on a stage ten times his size. That's not pointing to good design.
5) Ridley is the only boss to receive this treatment. Dark Emperor and Yellow Devil were explicitly shown and had attention brought to them as soon as their stages were revealed. With Pyrosphere, we had to wait eight months to get a brief shadow and no further acknowledgement.

SO this would mean... that Sakurai is hyping up ONLY one boss, namely the one people frequently request to be playable. He is also hyping up a boss that in concept is poorly designed, is nothing new, and is an objective downgrade from his previous roles.

That entire notion literally does not make sense at any point.

Sure it's *POSSIBLE* that this is the outcome we get. But if it is, I will be EXTREMELY disappointed in Sakurai, and not even because he didn't make Ridley playable.
Ah, I see now. Well, in which case, that makes sense and it even more disappointing in the event Ridley is a boss.

Come to think of it, the concept of Ridley being 'teased' is a rather jerk move, albeit one that I over glanced.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ah, I see now. Well, in which case, that makes sense and it even more disappointing in the event Ridley is a boss.

Come to think of it, the concept of Ridley being 'teased' is a rather jerk move, albeit one that I over glanced.
Well, if Ridley really is playable, this teasing Sakurai has been doing is actually a genius move on his part. Just think of how much more ecstatic Ridley supporters would be if Ridley was revealed to be playable after his apparent de-confirmation.

Not to mention, think of how embarrassed the detractors would be if that happened...

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Because he's noticeably more muscular than other Ridleys, and is a lab-born clone. So it led to a joke that he is an artificially muscular Ridley, or one that used steroids.
I've also seen the terms Radley and Rastley here. What exactly do those refer to?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I've also seen the terms Radley and Rastley here. What exactly do those refer to?
Radley is just a joke name for one of many Ridley joke original character Ridleys who have spawned in the thread.

Rastley is Rasta Ridley. Same thing basically.

Rodney is also encompassed in this, as well as Rilbey.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Because he's noticeably more muscular than other Ridleys, and is a lab-born clone. So it led to a joke that he is an artificially muscular Ridley, or one that used steroids.
He is not muscular. He is just bulky and more human-like. The only 2 parts of him that can be called muscular is his legs. Anything else is just bulky except for wings, neck, head and tail. If you will look closely, you can see his ribs.

Urgh, waiting for September/October is really painful. Worse than getting crushed slowly with a very hot knife stuck in your ribs.
The only one I know is "Super Smash Bros. Crusade", but, like all Smash Fan Projects, it's got a nonsense roster that includes anime characters and the like.

Which is sad, because if I remember correctly, it's otherwise well put together.
The only anime character it has is Goku. Other characters is from video games. And sprites of characters that look a lot different from other characters will be remade in the next update and few already were, like Mega Man, Ryu, Evil Ryu, Goku. Super Smash Flash 2 has more anime characters (3) and won`t include Ridley (i guess), but has better sprites.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
He is not muscular. He is just bulky and more human-like. The only 2 parts of him that can be called muscular is his legs. Anything else is just bulky except for wings, neck, head and tail. If you will look closely, you can see his ribs.

If parts of his body have more bulk through muscles, then he's more muscular. :p Even if it's awkwardly just his arms, legs, and neck.

Though to be fair those are the only parts people whined about being too skinny. And now they're not. Ridley went to the gym, and he is now truly TOO BIG.

EDIT: Also I think Sakurai may be a BIT crazy, but not so crazy as to delve into deliberately and *massively* poor choices. For Ridley to not be playable after this teasing would be probably the worst series of calls Sakurai has made in a single video game. And as I've said, it's not even because of Ridley being un-playable. It's the notion that Sakurai would devote so much effort to hyping up and teasing one character who is popularly requested, only to publicly put them in a downgraded version of a role that is no different from what he is always in, and making the entire thing a mock-up of a different fighting game. Apparently I have to double space this paragraph for some reason.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You are literally the first person other than myself to point that out. I know this is off-topic, but I cannot even believe that someone else noticed; it is like you are my soul-mate. So anyways, Ridley is probably a Sith as he is either playable or a boss or a boss-playable hybrid.
My dad ALWAYS pointed it out, mainly because he ****ing hates that line.

I agree on the shadow to an extent. Its not the most reliable, we don't know exactly what's going on with it, but its still quite reliable and even then, we can tell how Ridley is moving in the shadow even if you don't consider it reliable to use a base for Ridley's size.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
If parts of his body have more bulk through muscles, then he's more muscular. :p Even if it's awkwardly just his arms, legs, and neck.

Though to be fair those are the only parts people whined about being too skinny. And now they're not. Ridley went to the gym, and he is now truly TOO BIG.

EDIT: Also I think Sakurai may be a BIT crazy, but not so crazy as to delve into deliberately and *massively* poor choices. For Ridley to not be playable after this teasing would be probably the worst series of calls Sakurai has made in a single video game. And as I've said, it's not even because of Ridley being un-playable. It's the notion that Sakurai would devote so much effort to hyping up and teasing one character who is popularly requested, only to publicly put them in a downgraded version of a role that is no different from what he is always in, and making the entire thing a mock-up of a different fighting game. Apparently I have to double space this paragraph for some reason.
Maybe Sakurai wasn't intentionaly leading us along and doesn't know we think he's hinting at Ridley being playable.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Maybe Sakurai wasn't intentionaly leading us along and doesn't know we think he's hinting at Ridley being playable.
There is literally no chance of that when he handled Ridley deliberately differently from how he even handled other bosses. Stage reveal, visual of the boss, direct acknowledgement on some level, no ambiguity or teasing involved.

Hell, Ridley is being handled in a way *no* character has been handled, unless you consider Palutena close enough.

Sakurai would literally have to go, "Maybe if I vaguely show a flash of shadow and don't acknowledge it at all and don't even remotely treat this character like any other character, people will get the same message that they got as a result of how I handled every other character".

If you want people to receive the same message, you have to actually SEND the same message.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
That double spacing actually made that point look somewhat more serious.

But anyway, in that post I was judging Sakurai's levels of insanity based on predictability. Since he's at the peak of the unpredictability chart, I came to the ultimate conclusion that he's freaking nuts.

majora_787

Smash Hero
You know what, even if Sakurai treated Ridley differently from other bosses? He could have literally ended this in April and it would have still been okay. We saw Ridley being a boss, we were disappointed for a bit, we got on with our lives. But that isn't what happened.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
No, its just his bones are wide/bulky (?) and it is visible on his model. His legs are muscular, but everything else is not. Maybe his neck is muscular too, but i doubt it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
There is literally no chance of that when he handled Ridley deliberately differently from how he even handled other bosses. Stage reveal, visual of the boss, direct acknowledgement on some level, no ambiguity or teasing involved.

Hell, Ridley is being handled in a way *no* character has been handled, unless you consider Palutena close enough.

Sakurai would literally have to go, "Maybe if I vaguely show a flash of shadow and don't acknowledge it at all and don't even remotely treat this character like any other character, people will get the same message that they got as a result of how I handled every other character".

If you want people to receive the same message, you have to actually SEND the same message.
Well then I suppose at this point the only thing left for us to speculate about regarding Ridley is whether or not Sakurai is a sociopath XD

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I'd say he's handling Ridley VERY similar to Palutena, except in the case of Ridley he teased Ridley briefly by showing Ridley's shadow. We didn't see Palutena's shadow, but he did a fake out with Pseudo-Palutena, plus he teased by saying how the Goddess of Light looks over the temple. Similar to how he said "an enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second..."

majora_787

Smash Hero
No, its just his bones are wide/bulky (?) and it is visible on his model. His legs are muscular, but everything else is not. Maybe his neck is muscular too, but i doubt it.
His neck is definitely noticeably thicker and more... "normal", for lack of a better word.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You know, it would be cool if we got a height comparison of all the characters and put Ridley in there with them. How hard would it be to do that?

D

Deleted member

I don't know....

His shoulders, chest, back/lats, forearms, glutes and neck are looking pretty bulky and well-defined to me.

Not to mention that the "ectomorph" body type exists that is naturally very thin but can put on a good amount of muscle (I am one that has successfully accomplished this, for instance)
For example an Ectomorph Bodybuilder with the other body types (this is not me):

If decent/large muscle mass (along with muscular definition) isn't "muscular" then I don't know what is anymore and should probably stop lifting and dieting. :ohwell:

Also:
Urgh, waiting for September/October is really painful. Worse than getting crushed slowly with a very hot knife stuck in your ribs.
I can think of some more gruesome things that could be done, would anyone be interested? :awesome:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I hope if we get Roidley as playable in sm4sh that it's at least concept art Roidley. The concept art is much better than the in game model.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Not sure if this has been posted yet. Sorry if it has, but dang, dude did his research. Has some bad words in it, just a warning..

PerfectChaos9

Smash Cadet
You know what, even if Sakurai treated Ridley differently from other bosses? He could have literally ended this in April and it would have still been okay. We saw Ridley being a boss, we were disappointed for a bit, we got on with our lives. But that isn't what happened.
I agree with you. I just feel like Ridley fans wouldn't be the only ones at least a little surprised if he's really just a boss. Even the logical toobigots know how easily Sakurai could have just told us he was a boss instead of wasting so many people's time.

I like to think that Sakurai is no fool and has to be aware of Ridley's fanbase. He'd have to understand that he'd be disappointing a lot of people if he was truly trying to hype a stage boss. Call me crazy, but I don't think Smash fans in general get hyped for stage bosses :p

majora_787

Smash Hero
But yeah maybe I just have too much faith in Sakurai as a game designer after Air Ride, Return to Dreamland, Kid Icarus Uprising, SSB64, Melee, and Brawl. But I really just think that at THIS stage, for Ridley to be a boss after the treatment he has received would be one of the most bizarrely poorly thought out decisions I could imagine. So in my mind, and maybe my mind alone, Ridley is basically as confirmed as a character can possibly be without having a newcomer page on the website.

EDIT: Considering people seem to hate Yellow Devil, and Yellow Devil was a better made boss than Ridley is shaping up to be assuming he is one? Yeah people would not be fans.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Not sure if this has been posted yet. Sorry if it has, but dang, dude did his research. Has some bad words in it, just a warning..

That was posted a little ways back. I can't remember by who though.

Still fun to read through that thing again though, it's pretty amusing.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'd say he's handling Ridley VERY similar to Palutena, except in the case of Ridley he teased Ridley briefly by showing Ridley's shadow. We didn't see Palutena's shadow, but he did a fake out with Pseudo-Palutena, plus he teased by saying how the Goddess of Light looks over the temple. Similar to how he said "an enemy from Samus' past may appear at any second..."
Which is why I have a sneaking suspicion that Ridley will be revealed in the inevitable August Direct. If true, then Sakurai created a domino effect with Palutena. She got quite a bit of teasing too, but not nearly on the same level as Ridley. She was revealed at E3, but there's still enough time for one last marketing push, and who better to capitalize on that fact then the character Sakurai has been building up more then any other.

I'm aware I could be dead wrong, but it's something to consider.

D

Deleted member

It's been posted before, it is worth posting though.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Sakurai may not be crazy enough to make this poorly thought out of a decision, but I can easily see him passing up the august direct and saving Ridley for when the game comes out. Which is unfortunate, because that's stretching it out way too long IMO. But he probably WOULD be hidden, so I don't know.

Top Bottom