• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Knitting a Yoshi Chart - MU Portal

YellowPizzaMan

Smash Rookie
Shulk is deff not 50/50. The easy punishes OoS, eggs breaking through counter(which kills at high percents, lower with smash), and easy combo opportunities make it 60/40 for me at least. One of my favorite tools for yoshi is uptilt OoS, as you can get nice percent with upairs, and also get kills at high percents.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
eggs breaking through counter(which kills at high percents, lower with smash)
>egg toss killing
Wait wut
Also a lot of these were done like a month or two into the smash wii u versions lifespan, so a bunch of em are most likely inaccurate cause patches with nerfs/buffs game mechanic changes etc.
I don't plan to fix all this thread or actually bother with MU discussions until after Cloud maybe since I kinda feel like it's the last patch, plus Smash4 BR is now a thing so maybe even have 3 or so yoshi's pop up in there to discuss the possible 57+ MUs (not including dittos)

Kinda why I stopped participating in any character board coming in here asking for our input, cause while it may take a month or so before next patch to possibly change the entire MU. Don't wanna help yet until the patches are done.

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Kind of a poor opinion to have Slush. I'd rather help people when they ask for it and not tell them to just wait until a new patch comes.

Shulk definitely is a 60-40 at a minimum in our favor. True that he has great range, killing power, and interesting setups with the change in his Monado's, but all in all his frame data is still very lack luster. If he puts on speed, you just need to prepare for him to short hop nair or come in for a dash grab / pivot grab. Jump and he'll probably be doing more of the same. Shield when he gets to higher percents just back off and throw eggs to kite and wear out the duration. Buster is when you want to fish for down airs and try to catch him for that sweet extra percent. If they're dumb enough to put on Smash in the neutral, just accept that they want to donate their lives to the Yoshi gods and thank them later for it.

All you need in this matchup are well spaced eggs and a couple of grabs to throw them off of counter spam and you're golden.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It's an opinion, it's not right nor wrong. There's other people helping out anyways and even if I say I don't I still help a bit, just not as much as I did early on.
I'll help when the time is right again.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
If no game mechanics are toyed with every patch like it has been lately, then maybe random characters that almost never get nerfs or buffs like Jigglypuff and.... Duck hunt? Dunno it's hard to tell.

YellowPizzaMan

Smash Rookie
>egg toss killing
Wait wut
Also a lot of these were done like a month or two into the smash wii u versions lifespan, so a bunch of em are most likely inaccurate cause patches with nerfs/buffs game mechanic changes etc.
I don't plan to fix all this thread or actually bother with MU discussions until after Cloud maybe since I kinda feel like it's the last patch, plus Smash4 BR is now a thing so maybe even have 3 or so yoshi's pop up in there to discuss the possible 57+ MUs (not including dittos)

Kinda why I stopped participating in any character board coming in here asking for our input, cause while it may take a month or so before next patch to possibly change the entire MU. Don't wanna help yet until the patches are done.
Worded it horribly, I'm sorry. I meant that counter can kill. If you're having an issue with Shulk then egg camping can be an easy pass to about 180%.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
:4lucas:I'm trying to learn more about the Yoshi vs. Lucas MU - I'm losing pretty horribly in that one, but I can't find anything about it. It seems Lucas has a ton of options that get out faster than Yoshi, so he can pretty much just bait and punish all day. Any advice?

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
:4lucas:I'm trying to learn more about the Yoshi vs. Lucas MU - I'm losing pretty horribly in that one, but I can't find anything about it. It seems Lucas has a ton of options that get out faster than Yoshi, so he can pretty much just bait and punish all day. Any advice?

Lucas has a very good nair for combo material and getting back to stage should be rather easy for you having such a long range PK thunder 2 as well as a tether. In melee range, your D-tilts and jab combo are great for pushing us away and using your PK fire for proper neutral spacing is pretty key. Outside of that, you can look for foot stool kills as well as using your back air to get a spike through our armor. Test out the % at which it breaks double jump armor and memorize that, then use it to your advantage when a yoshi goes to recover.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
The Wall The Wall Pretty sure he's asking for advice on what to do against him as Yoshi, not as him. Although it's actually good to know what he has to do against us so we know what to expect and how to prepare in advance.

Wish I could offer much insight on the MU myself, but I don't have that MU experience, only character knowledge on both sides. Don't think I've even ever seen the MU be played.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Lucas has a very good nair for combo material and getting back to stage should be rather easy for you having such a long range PK thunder 2 as well as a tether. In melee range, your D-tilts and jab combo are great for pushing us away and using your PK fire for proper neutral spacing is pretty key. Outside of that, you can look for foot stool kills as well as using your back air to get a spike through our armor. Test out the % at which it breaks double jump armor and memorize that, then use it to your advantage when a yoshi goes to recover.
What Nikes Nikes said, but it's still helpful to see from the opponent's perspective.

PK Fire seems to be the thing that's stuck in my craw. It pretty much shuts down the ground game, which is where I want to be when they're pulling the bait/punish. I'm unable to effectively attack from above, and even B-reversed egg lays aren't getting the job done. Lucas's insane recovery (as you've pointed out) make it all the more frustrating when I do finally get him off stage but it seems to accomplish little.

I know the response is going to be 'SH ET more' but even that seems to do little... or maybe I just get bored/frustrated with it and give up too early. I don't normally like to play campy/overly defensive, but maybe that's what I need to do here?

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Do you implement airdodging into your game? His PK Fire is absolutely incredible and it even kills off the side, but I think a short hop airdodge past it should let you run in and punish. I really hate it when our ground game is shut down, and we're the same in that we both find SH ET to be boring and don't feel it being effective so we can't keep at it for long, but it is pretty safe if used at a good distance, and its arc is amazing to have since it shouldn't be destroyed by PK Fire or Rope Snake.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
No, I haven't tried that yet... though I have seen other Yoshis use that in some situations. I can see that helping... I'll give that a try next time, thanks!

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
We only have 1 true Lucas main in our city that I know of but he does regularly attend and likes to play friendlies.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, a lot of people have came in asking about so many different match-ups.

Particularly when I fight a Lucas it's based around 3 things:

1 - Space properly around his
PK fire.
2 - Watch for grabs, spot dodge if able and punish hard.
3 - Space out properly with
eggs and use those as combo material to eventually force him off the stage.

If he gets a grab at low percent, be prepared to eat probably 20-30 of free damage no matter how you DI unless you're on a platform stage and he drags you near enough to tech mid combo. The typical down throw into 2-3 nairs with a possible up air to finish his combo are the bread and butter. If he starts running towards you then throwing PK fire to space backwards and catch you, my best tactic is to short hop over and come down with a fair while advancing forward the whole time. I say that in particular because I am very trained at this point to do retreating fairs for proper spacing. Lucas will usually space himself backwards and if you do a retreating fair, you risk getting hit by the fire or just missing the fair and landing in front of him allowing yourself to get combo'd.

If you can manage to get him off stage, you can't gimp him quite as easily as Ness but it is still possible. First off notice that his tether range is rather short compared to Samus/ZSS/Link. Learn what his range is with that and prepare a fair dunk if you can time it. If he's going low then jumping and using tether there isn't too much you could do unless you're already down there with him. Throwing an egg to interrupt doesn't do a whole lot as it pops up vertically, allowing him to come down and tether again. If you force him outside of tether range with no jump and you know PK thunder is coming you have the opportunity to spike him before he hits himself for the thunder 2. If it looks like the timing will be close, just back up and let him grab the stage, reset the neutral and win there.

On stage in the neutral if you ever land grabs, I suggest your normal down throw to DJ up air combo if he's at the proper percent. If he's above that (40+ range), I'd actually suggest mixing up with up throws. Either way having Lucas above you puts him in a rather sticky situation. His down air being a multi hit could be used but it lasts so long it offers you time to get around him and poke from the side. His back air comes down and has the ability to spike but he has to land it facing backwards which most Lucas's will not go for. So at this point try to juggle with up airs, throw frame trap eggs and punish his air dodges until he starts homing in for the ledge. That's when you can throw out the last minute fair right before he grabs it and secure the kill.

That's about all I can think of for now. If you have any specific situations with him you struggle with let me know, I'll find a way.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
We only have 1 true Lucas main in our city that I know of but he does regularly attend and likes to play friendlies.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, a lot of people have came in asking about so many different match-ups.

Particularly when I fight a Lucas it's based around 3 things:

1 - Space properly around his
PK fire.
2 - Watch for grabs, spot dodge if able and punish hard.
3 - Space out properly with
eggs and use those as combo material to eventually force him off the stage.

If he gets a grab at low percent, be prepared to eat probably 20-30 of free damage no matter how you DI unless you're on a platform stage and he drags you near enough to tech mid combo. The typical down throw into 2-3 nairs with a possible up air to finish his combo are the bread and butter. If he starts running towards you then throwing PK fire to space backwards and catch you, my best tactic is to short hop over and come down with a fair while advancing forward the whole time. I say that in particular because I am very trained at this point to do retreating fairs for proper spacing. Lucas will usually space himself backwards and if you do a retreating fair, you risk getting hit by the fire or just missing the fair and landing in front of him allowing yourself to get combo'd.

If you can manage to get him off stage, you can't gimp him quite as easily as Ness but it is still possible. First off notice that his tether range is rather short compared to Samus/ZSS/Link. Learn what his range is with that and prepare a fair dunk if you can time it. If he's going low then jumping and using tether there isn't too much you could do unless you're already down there with him. Throwing an egg to interrupt doesn't do a whole lot as it pops up vertically, allowing him to come down and tether again. If you force him outside of tether range with no jump and you know PK thunder is coming you have the opportunity to spike him before he hits himself for the thunder 2. If it looks like the timing will be close, just back up and let him grab the stage, reset the neutral and win there.

On stage in the neutral if you ever land grabs, I suggest your normal down throw to DJ up air combo if he's at the proper percent. If he's above that (40+ range), I'd actually suggest mixing up with up throws. Either way having Lucas above you puts him in a rather sticky situation. His down air being a multi hit could be used but it lasts so long it offers you time to get around him and poke from the side. His back air comes down and has the ability to spike but he has to land it facing backwards which most Lucas's will not go for. So at this point try to juggle with up airs, throw frame trap eggs and punish his air dodges until he starts homing in for the ledge. That's when you can throw out the last minute fair right before he grabs it and secure the kill.

That's about all I can think of for now. If you have any specific situations with him you struggle with let me know, I'll find a way.
Thanks for the advice! That makes a lot of sense... Now I just gotta practice with the guy who keeps beating me and see how it works out.

Generally what stages do you like/dislike for this MU?

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
There's different kinds of Yoshi's in my opinion. There's Yoshi's who like platforms and Yoshi's who like flat stages. I'm a flat stage kind of guy. For me I normally stick to Smashville, FD or its variants on Omega, Duck Hunt, or Town & City. Most of Lucas's kill options I've seen actually happen are either spikes which then the stage doesn't matter, down throw up air combo from a platform, or catching you off stage with either PK thunder 2 or PK fire to launch you off the side blast zones. Picking stages with smaller ceilings could work in your favor if you're careful to not get caught by his up airs (Delfino/Halberd come to mind)

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Something to note:

Different from Ness, Lucas' PK Thunder 2 has really poor priority. You can actually hit him with an aerial (like Fair or Nair) while he's on the PK Thunder 2 animation.

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
So, the idea has been presented to me that Sonic actually has a bad matchup against Yoshi. The reason presented being that Yoshi can beat spin dash with up smash and has a projectile. Now, quite frankly this sounds just plain wrong to me. This is because while Yoshi could try to do something like neutral b or up smash or clash with side b against spin dash, any option Yoshi picks he has to commit. On the other hand, Sonic has absolutely no commitment while charging spin dash, and even after the spin starts he can just spring out to safety or hit Yoshi with an aerial. But the biggest problem by both spin dashing and just straight up running Sonic goes under eggs due to their arc. And so if Sonic decides to spin dash Yoshi doesn't have anything to deal with it. Eggs either get dashed under or power shielded, trying to beat spin dash gets noped away from, and Yoshi doesn't have a good enough grab or other tools to beat Sonic shielding a bunch out of a spin dash (except trying for a cheeky dair or down b). Even if you do get a grab it doesn't really mean anything because of Yoshi's terrible throws.

Other thoughts? Because honestly this matchup looks 60-40 in Sonics favor to me.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
6wx has lost to raptor a couple times and seagull lost to dunnobro once or twice. So in terms of just results based, Yoshi has the favor of say +1/55:45.

I could see the match up being in Yoshi's favor as long as he doesn't commit to laggy moves or attempts of camping too much leaving ourselves open to free damage.
I'd say the sonic's in my scene I either won against or went to game 3 most of the time from best sonic arguably, but at the same time I haven't played them in months due to my break so since before shield changes happened.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I agree that Yoshi has an advantage against Sonic - but not for the reasons you've stated.

Yoshi has an easy time getting out of Sonic's bread and butter combos. Nair and dj armor effectively shut down a lot of Sonic's maneuvers, and using Eggs for aerial mobility makes us unpredictable.

IMO, camping is not the correct strategy against Sonic - in the time it takes you to launch an egg from the ground, he can spin dash and catch you. You're better off going for aerials (again, nair is key) and reads.

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
IMO, camping is not the correct strategy against Sonic - in the time it takes you to launch an egg from the ground, he can spin dash and catch you. You're better off going for aerials (again, nair is key) and reads.
See that's the exact problem from what I can see. Yoshi has to make reads while sonic doesn't have to commit. So if Sonic just spin dashes a lot and shields a lot then Yoshi is automatically at a disadvantage. Eggs aren't good as an approach because they get blown up by spin dash, Yoshi's grab is way too much of a commitment and not enough reward to reliably beat shields, and while fair is safe on shield if space properly that also gets blown up by Sonic's fast moves. So how is Yoshi supposed to approach Sonic?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Funny enough that's exactly how Seagull apparently lost and presented his case of yoshi beating sonic a couple months back.
Can camp with eggs and avoid hits well to win. So I wouldn't say it's wrong, just doing that only would leave a lot of openings for free hits if that's all we did.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Funny enough that's exactly how Seagull apparently lost and presented his case of yoshi beating sonic a couple months back.
Can camp with eggs and avoid hits well to win. So I wouldn't say it's wrong, just doing that only would leave a lot of openings for free hits if that's all we did.
But, like, you hold forward on the control stick, and you get around eggs as Sonic. If Yoshi throws an egg on the ground that's either a blocked egg and then punish or dash attack, and air egg is either jump/spring and then aerial or a free juggle situation. Honestly I think Seagull was just giving eggs too much respect.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
The biggest thing I found to do vs Sonic's in the case that they like to charge spin dash is just full hop and float towards them. What are you going to do in that situation? If you launch the spin dash I can nair or dair you out of it. You're basically forced to cancel the dash and go into a separate move or back away from me approaching. Throwing an egg is a bad idea for obvious reasons stated earlier that you can just go right under it by launching the dash and lay into Yoshi with combos. As well Yoshi's that like to land with Fair or Nair into the ground can easily get combo'd by it.

It's just a game of patience vs Sonic. If Sonic gets the stock / percent advantage by a decent margin and camps or runs away Yoshi will have a hard time no matter what.

Eureka

Smash Ace
The biggest thing I found to do vs Sonic's in the case that they like to charge spin dash is just full hop and float towards them. What are you going to do in that situation? If you launch the spin dash I can nair or dair you out of it. You're basically forced to cancel the dash and go into a separate move or back away from me approaching. Throwing an egg is a bad idea for obvious reasons stated earlier that you can just go right under it by launching the dash and lay into Yoshi with combos. As well Yoshi's that like to land with Fair or Nair into the ground can easily get combo'd by it.

It's just a game of patience vs Sonic. If Sonic gets the stock / percent advantage by a decent margin and camps or runs away Yoshi will have a hard time no matter what.
My biggest problem with a full hop approach is that if Sonic shields the spin dash all of a sudden Yoshi is stuck in a juggle situation. Sonic can drop shield, jump, spring, or even up smash, he still retains plenty of options to take advantage of the situation. Forcing Sonic to cancel the dash isn't really a problem because it's exactly that, canceled, he doesn't lose anything doing that.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
If Sonic shields you can land in Egg Lay. Or just land away from him. You still aren't forced to commit.

Funny enough both characters sort of have to commit to hit each other. We're a bit bulkier than Sonic, so we can afford some extra wiggle room.

Eureka

Smash Ace
In my experience, trying to full hop against Sonic often goes like this.
  • Sonic does his usual spin dash/shield camping shenanigans
  • I full hop to force Sonic to do something
  • Sonic promptly shields, drop shield, and immediately runs under me
  • I am now at a huge positional disadvantage
Egg lay doesn't help much because of the startup and it doesn't cover below Yoshi, and Yoshi can't just land away from Sonic because of his speed allows him to get under Yoshi.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
That's where Egg Toss as a landing option comes in handy. You mix up your landing by shifting your momentum around with it, and you can follow the egg to cover you.

I can't give you better advice without seeing what's happening. I'm sure Sonic isn't that fast, as your opponent is also delayed by reaction times.

If it were really so simple for Sonic to just abuse his speed and win, the overall records wouldn't be as close as they are now, I don't think.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
6wx has lost to raptor a couple times and seagull lost to dunnobro once or twice. So in terms of just results based, Yoshi has the favor of say +1/55:45.

I could see the match up being in Yoshi's favor as long as he doesn't commit to laggy moves or attempts of camping too much leaving ourselves open to free damage.
I'd say the sonic's in my scene I either won against or went to game 3 most of the time from best sonic arguably, but at the same time I haven't played them in months due to my break so since before shield changes happened.
I lost to Dunnobro once. I beat his :4yoshi: like 3 times. I do think :4yoshi: wins the matchup slightly tho.

:018:

Eureka

Smash Ace
That's where Egg Toss as a landing option comes in handy. You mix up your landing by shifting your momentum around with it, and you can follow the egg to cover you.

I can't give you better advice without seeing what's happening. I'm sure Sonic isn't that fast, as your opponent is also delayed by reaction times.

If it were really so simple for Sonic to just abuse his speed and win, the overall records wouldn't be as close as they are now, I don't think.
Yeah Sonic needs to react, but since Yoshi doesn't have many options to go in on Sonic it's pretty easy to prepare for a jump. Also it's not exactly like Sonic is pressed for time to get under Yoshi. Egg Toss does seem to be the best option in that situation but still I don't know how well that works because it doesn't cover directly below Yoshi. I think the bigger problem is if the Sonic just waits out the momentum shift and chases correctly Yoshi isn't much closer to the ground. In terms of the records, I think it's partially the fact that Yoshi has a lot of wacky things he can get away with if the opponent doesn't know how to play against, bair "setups" being the most obvious example. And there aren't nearly as many Yoshis as there are Sonics.

It mostly boils down to the fact that I can't see a way for Yoshi to play neutral without putting himself in a positional disadvantage or committing, since one of our main neutral tools in eggs are not reliable in the matchup. Although it's just as possible there's some option I'm missing and I'm wrong, but I haven't found it.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
since one of our main neutral tools in eggs are not reliable in the matchup
I think here's where you might be going wrong. I don't believe eggs are one of our main neutral tools in this game, for a variety of reasons (speed, the trajectory not being as good in general, etc). It's worth trying to expand your conception of Yoshi away from reliance on eggs. They're useful in certain situations, but we're definitely better off just using our mobility and range (sorta) in most cases.

Eureka

Smash Ace
I think here's where you might be going wrong. I don't believe eggs are one of our main neutral tools in this game, for a variety of reasons (speed, the trajectory not being as good in general, etc). It's worth trying to expand your conception of Yoshi away from reliance on eggs. They're useful in certain situations, but we're definitely better off just using our mobility and range (sorta) in most cases.
Eggs are a projectile, that makes them inherently valuable as a tool in neutral. It's definitely not the go-to option all the time (especially because of that sometimes terrible arc), but just being a projectile means it has it's place in neutral (unless it's named Din's Fire or Phantom Slash). Sonic's speed invalidates that projectile because of it's arc, forcing Yoshi to fight him in a situation where his weaknesses (terrible grab and throws, bad rolls, subpar out of shield options) can be exploited. Yoshi is usually better off abusing his mobility, but therein lies the problem, Sonic has just as much if not more. That's one of the reasons I feel this matchup is so bad.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Eggs are a projectile, that makes them inherently valuable as a tool in neutral. It's definitely not the go-to option all the time (especially because of that sometimes terrible arc), but just being a projectile means it has it's place in neutral (unless it's named Din's Fire or Phantom Slash). Sonic's speed invalidates that projectile because of it's arc, forcing Yoshi to fight him in a situation where his weaknesses (terrible grab and throws, bad rolls, subpar out of shield options) can be exploited. Yoshi is usually better off abusing his mobility, but therein lies the problem, Sonic has just as much if not more. That's one of the reasons I feel this matchup is so bad.
Not all projectiles are created equal -- some are more useful in some situations than others. Ours are great for added pressure when we're already in advantage (air dodge baits, setups off stage, etc.), while some are more useful in neutral (Needles, Bananas).

Our projectile isn't quite as long ranged as it used to be. This, coupled with a terrible, terrible pivot grab, means we do not rely on eggs to camp and force a response in neutral. However, we did gain enhanced mobility during the toss animation, opening up new uses for the eggs. We must either use them as offensive pressure (SHET/FHET) which is okay, but not something to rely on against most characters as its slow, or we must use it as a tool for furthering advantage. They also work as a landing mix up (changing trajectories, stalling, etc).

So yes, it does have a place in neutral, but I don't think it's a very large place in the grand scheme of things. Eggs have become a utility projectile, not a default option.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Not all projectiles are created equal -- some are more useful in some situations than others. Ours are great for added pressure when we're already in advantage (air dodge baits, setups off stage, etc.), while some are more useful in neutral (Needles, Bananas).

Our projectile isn't quite as long ranged as it used to be. This, coupled with a terrible, terrible pivot grab, means we do not rely on eggs to camp and force a response in neutral. However, we did gain enhanced mobility during the toss animation, opening up new uses for the eggs. We must either use them as offensive pressure (SHET/FHET) which is okay, but not something to rely on against most characters as its slow, or we must use it as a tool for furthering advantage. They also work as a landing mix up (changing trajectories, stalling, etc).

So yes, it does have a place in neutral, but I don't think it's a very large place in the grand scheme of things. Eggs have become a utility projectile, not a default option.
I completely agree, I call eggs a main neutral tool though is that in some matchups they are a very important part. Eggs, as a projectile, force characters to approach. This gives Yoshi an advantage in matchups against characters like Marth who don't have a projectile and thus have to approach. Yeah in most matchups they aren't anything fantastic outside of continuing offensive momentum and movement shenanigans but against characters without a projectile they're quite useful, but again not the entirety of neutral. But because eggs can be dodged so easily by Sonic that means Yoshi can't force him to approach and can't exploit Sonic's lack of a projectile. So I ask the question, how is Yoshi supposed to approach Sonic in a way that doesn't put him in a bad position (like full hopping at him) or rely on a heavy commitment (like trying to dash grab a spin dash/shielding Sonic)?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Using eggs as a neutral tool doesn't seem like a effective way to fight a Sonic.

A better use for eggs in this Match Up is to use then as a baiting tool. For example, some sonics have the habit of instatly going in your face as soon as they see the egg throw animation. What if, instead of throwing the egg directly at him, you just throw it weakly close to you? The egg will protect you if he runs into you, and if he doesn't do anything, you're completely safe because after the explosion of the egg you'll have more than enough time to react if he decides to do anything after that.

Last edited:

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion

6WX has only lost to me once. We're 1-1 lol. Seagull is the other Sonic I think you might be confusing who I've beat. And Yoshi does beat Sonic imo 55:45. We just have to play really campy without eggs. Eggs are bad in this mu unless we're frame trapping in the air or something. Never use in neutral. Nair spam works if he wants to commit which he will eventually.

Top Bottom