• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The MKGD: The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated

D

Deleted member

^

Do you have any tournament videos? Would love to see how you've progressed from when you first picked up Meta Knight.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I tried humouring online play in order to get some match up experience, hoping the latency would be reasonable. It's atrocious unfortunately.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
A LAN adapter helps if you don't have one yet. Made my matches go from atrocious to playable and even near lagless with other people in my state. Costs like 10 bucks. Just snag a Cat 6 Ethernet cable as well.

I practice mostly offline with a set group but I occasionally pop online to try to learn the basics of newly encountered MUs.

ZTD | TECHnology

So my state's Power Rankings were released tonight and it's looking good. They rank up to 12. I was close but not quite there. On the bright side, its a whole new season and I'll be going in as an MK main. Tomorrow is the premier event of Season 2. Looking forward to showing the world what I'm capable of with Metaknight! Look for videos and an update on Sunday!

Edit: Wish me luck too. Part of what drives me is our small but awesome group here.

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Picked up MK as a secondary after continuous interest in the character, and been lurking the boards. Saw talk about edgeguarding Falcon:

If Falcon has his second jump left or he's close enough to the ledge for his up b grab hitbox to not run out before ledgesnapping, he makes it back to the stage pretty safely compared to most characters. Uair from second jump beats most attacks and is easier to land on the person edgeguarding than it is for him to land attacks on Falcon as his uair is a fast long range juggle move after all, and up b's grab range is that of a short tether grab like Yoshi's or Villager's. It will beat out nearly any aerial approach that doesn't come from directly above Falcon since that's where he's vulnerable, for instance, it goes through Diddy's flipkick and MK holding jab. If you try to hit Falcon on his vulnerable area he can see you coming, maneuver the up b and grab you out of your attack through your hitbox for 17% damage (or straight up go around you) and then depending on how far you got knocked, make it to the ledge/stage or repeat the exchange. The only things that murder Falcon in such a situation are hard reads using moves with really good hitboxes. Aside from FG Falcons, Falcon is only easy to gimp if he gets knocked far away because then his up b runs out of its grab hitbox well before he snaps to the ledge making him a slow and easy target without any hitbox to stop you.

In essence (assuming a good Falcon player):
Falcon with second jump left: close to impossible to gimp
Falcon using up b close to the ledge: hard to gimp
Falcon using up b far from the ledge: easy to gimp

Let's not forget he also has the second best walljump in the game, although that's more of a niche advantage.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I hit the lab with MKs up throw. These are the results i got, i made sure the up throw was fresh and this was done with proper DI on Final Destination.

Character getting up thrown: Rosalina.

• no rage = 151%
  • 50% rage = 143%
  • 60% rage = 139%
  • 70% rage = 136%
  • 80% rage = 132%
  • 90% rage = 129%
  • 100% rage = 126%
  • 110% rage = 122%
  • 120% rage = 119%
  • 130% rage = 117%
  • 140% rage = 114%
  • 150% rage = 112%
So Up throw kills 4-2% sooner everytime we get a 10% rage buff.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Sheik dying at 36%. I knew it was strong, but that's funny. I've always wanted to get in to the doubles scene and this is encouraging. What do you guys think are good Meta Knight partners, Mario excluded?

@ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology , near the end stock when Luigi grabbed Mario, could you not have ended that stock by just hitting Luigi with a Dimensional Cape?

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
imo as much as i hate fighting Falcon he is a good teammate for MK. He can take so many hits and live, only thing Falcon needs to watch out for is losing a stock early from edgeguards but real talk MK will have his back. FF Uair off stage is a good way to save someones life, but hopefully a situation like that never comes.

MK is strictly a support character, his DA crosses up shields and pops them into the air with alot of hitstun giving his teammate a chance to follow up. The follows ups out of MKs down throw will be nasty, Falcons damage per hit is hella dumb and the knee can outright obliterate stocks.

Falcon can go aggro and do as he please, MK is really good at stock tanking due to his strong disadvantage state and ability to evade tough situations. The thread Lavani made opened my eyes on how good MK is at evading http://smashboards.com/threads/roll-air-dodge-frame-data.401323/#post-19112852

MK can make a 1 v1 fight into 2 v 1 for a split second by dash attacking the opponent behind the back allowing his teammate to follow up. Sometimes i watch my teammate more than my own char lol, haven't played doubles in a while.

MK has the most jumps in the game but unlike Kirby his mobility across the board is much better, he has a teleport that auto cancels unless you breach a certain height,tornado that is a good evasion tool and traps people in along the way. Its been said before but MK is basically batman in teams, he'll back you up then disappear. He's able to keep people pinned at one side of the stage, as maintaining mid range is easy in doubles.

I think: :4luigi::4mario::4falcon::4zss: are good teammates.

I used to think :4rob: was good but apparently is up throw got nerfed, haven't played doubles since the patch tho. :4mario:is the best for the sheer fact that FLUDD is janky as hell. I envy Tech since he has a good teammate and does doubles regularly.

Last edited:

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
i like diddy as a team mate a lot, his upthrow-up air into a shuttle loop pickup from mk can kill at like 70% and its pretty reliable to setup. i also agree falcon is pretty good but basically any top tier will do fine as a partner.

ZTD | TECHnology

Ulevo, you're right. I need to spot those ops to use Cape more.

Also singles didn't go very well. I got 2nd in my pool losing to #6 in the state. Then lost first round to an OH Fox who knows the MU. Then I played the Mario I team with and lost a very close set. Aka...the person i play the most. Aka #8 in the state. This only happened because the TOs forgot to enter 9 people in pools. So they had to make a last minute pool full of lesser experienced players. So we had 9 pools...and it ****ed everything up. I'm really upset. But I just need to get better.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Ulevo, you're right. I need to spot those ops to use Cape more.

Also singles didn't go very well. I got 2nd in my pool losing to #6 in the state. Then lost first round to an OH Fox who knows the MU. Then I played the Mario I team with and lost a very close set. Aka...the person i play the most. This only happened because the TOs forgot to enter 9 people in pools. So they had to make a last minute pool full of lesser experienced players. So we had 9 pools...and it ****ed everything up. I'm really upset. But I just need to get better.
Sounds like a good time to discuss those match ups then. I need to learn the Mario match up.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Went to a tournament today that only 13 people entered and got 4th place. The second person I fought in winners (who ended up winning the tournament) used Peach. We were on our last stocks, he was at about 130%, and I was around 30%. While using side special, either he slipped out of it or bounced off of it or something, and I suicided because Meta Knight couldn't grab the damn ledge. Really ****ing hate that aspect to his side special. Couldn't believed that happened at that moment. Including friendlies and tournament matches, I think that was my only suicide with Meta Knight the whole tournament. Second match he used Captain Falcon (probably because he was doing best with Captain Falcon against me in friendlies) and the match didn't end well. I think I was so pissed off at the last match that it just hurt my confidence or something. I just flat out wasn't playing my best that match and didn't really care because I knew it was unlikely I was going to beat his Captain Falcon two games in a row.

Next match in losers was little kid I 2-0'd, the match afterwards was another Captain Falcon player I 2-0'd, and the next player was a Sonic player I 2-0'd. The person I fought afterwards was someone who was pissed when he found out I was going to fight him because I usually beat him in friendlies but he ended up taking the first game off of me using Mario. So I switched to Diddy Kong and ended up beating him in the next two games, with the last game being a very close match (his Lylat Cruise counter-pick was a smart choice).

The next person I fought used Sonic and I beat him, so he switched to Little Mac and chose FD. The match was super close and surprisingly, I lost despite always beating him with Meta Knight in friendlies that tournament. I found it hilarious I beat his Sonic which is one of Meta Knight's worst matchups, yet lost the second match to one of Meta Knight's best matchups. I almost never fight that character and he was the second decent Little Mac player I've ever fought, so I don't know the matchup well where as I fight Sonic players all the time. For the third game, I should've stuck with Meta Knight but switched to Diddy Kong and got 2-0'd in that match.

It's so frustrating Diddy Kong is so ground based for kills now. I feel like I practically need to relearn Diddy Kong in how to fight much of the roster because a lot of my past strategies flat out don't work anymore and he was the only character that got nerfed to this extent with the last balance patch. All the other characters that got nerfed anywhere close to this extent was nerfed before the Wii U game even came out, so it's obnoxious I have to deal with this so long after the game's initial release. I feel like the developers purposely nerfed him to this extent because he was the most hated character in the game, which made the game look bad. Yet all Shiek got that was a hard nerf was her back air, while all of Diddy's best moves got massively nerfed except down tilt. I hate this balance patch sooooooooo much. It's so unfair to Diddy mains that Shiek had her frame data left alone, yet Diddy's forward smash's frame data got worse. But Shiek is the likeable top tier character and Diddy Kong wasn't, so it was a smart choice in terms of making the game look more appealing to a lot of players.

It's worth mentioning I completely forgot who was the first person I fought, so it's possible one of the people I think I fought in losers was actually in the winners bracket. I have a lousy memory. -_- Regardless, I'm happy with how I did and feel confident that I would've gotten third place if I didn't switch to Diddy in that final match. Some people act like I should just stick with Meta Knight, but honestly, I feel like I wouldn't have gotten third if I stuck with just Meta Knight and Diddy Kong is still my favorite character in the game.

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth continuing to play this game competitively because I don't love it anymore. I'm a very defensive player, yet I feel this game is becoming too defensive because approaching is so risky in this game now thanks to both balance patches. This game can never go back to three stocks because the viewers would become bored out of their minds, which sucks because I've grown to hate two stocks. Some people have the mentality that people should always treat every stock as if it's their last, but it just leads people to play way more conservatively and be scared to take any risks. It's obnoxious. Just thank god this game doesn't have Brawl's air dodging mechanics where you could hardly combo at all, or else a lot of matches in game would just result in time out. I miss pre-patch Smash 3DS which felt more like a middle ground between Brawl and Melee, but had leaning toward Brawl. Now it feels like it has a strong leaning toward Brawl and I do not like that at all.

Edit-

After today, I would also appreciate hearing more information on the Mario matchup.

Edit-

I take back one of my claims that down tilt was Diddy Kong's only best move left alone because for whatever reason, I forgot about bananas. lol Thank god they left that alone. It was already massively nerfed compared to Brawl.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I'm gonna upload a money match against a PR player here soon. It's in progress now but I'm going out for a few. It's vs a Sonic. Sonic is frustrating but doable. I also know what the character is capable of from playing as him. It was a good set, I enjoyed it.

@Swanky_ I see you lurking boy.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
A friend of mine recently picked up DK while looking for a main, and I managed to have some matches against him. I'm surprised to say that he isn't a free as I would have originally thought. He hates being juggled and does terrible on Battlefield but he does surprisingly well against Meta Knight given his range and his ability to cover his vertical space from below Meta Knight with up tilt. Not to mention if he sneezes in your general direction Meta Knight simply dies. We're both relatively new to the match up but I was quite impressed.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I feel DK doesn't stand a chance without his janky customs. MK can't edgeguard him but he abuses his get up options. His huge hurtbox allows us to poke his shield and constantly land our most damaging move.

I wouldn't say heavy weights are free wins but they don't exert alot of pressure. Little Mac on any stage that isn't FD is a free win.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
So I came back from some friendlies today. There was a Mario player that I did not have a chance to play against until now. He's really salty and tends to john a lot, but is rather competitive and plays decently well. That being said, after playing the match up I feel Meta Knight holds a solid advantage provided you play the match up near perfectly. There were some adjustments I needed to make, primarily avoiding the use of Tornado and just making sure I did not play the vertical game too much and challenge things like up smash. That aside, there was not much he could do and I two stocked him consistently.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
We should keep that cape escape **** on the low though. We wouldn't want that to get patched? lol:secretkpop:
its soooo stupid.
@ Ulevo Ulevo Congrats man. Might be able to go to my first tournament this summer as well.:pikachu:

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Well tornado auto cancels if you short hop and make it rise a certain height. The cape does the same thing, I feel pretty dumb for not realizing but tbh we didn't use cape pre patch for obvious reasons (dumb rco lag).

The auto cancel cape thing is probably out in the open now, since people lurk these boards out of interest. That's why we should get a skype group lol, not too bothered tho.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Speaking of hidden tech, I pulled off the down tilt tumble to Shuttle Loop combo several times in our matches. Something I noticed was that it's pretty nice having an extended throw like Meta Knights down throw since it gives you time to check %'s without distracting yourself. Allowed me to keep pace and nail it in circumstances they were not expecting.

Regarding the auto cancel cape, it doesn't sound that useful. I mean, it's nice you can bait people in to it the first few times, but it's novelty is probably going to run out pretty quick I'd assume.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So I also went to a tournament.
Got 0-2'd by a Lucina who I have no idea how he won. I played safe, baited and punished her stuff, didn't fall for her SBs, and I mostly got hit by awkward angles of her sword, and still lost. The ending of Game 2 was stupid, both were at last stock, she was at 110% and I was at 70%, I go for a risky Shuttle Loop that hit... with the first part only... when falling down, she Dairs me, gets the spike bouncing me off just enough to get hit by a buffered Fsmash and finish the stock. Dumb as F.

Then I lost to a G&W same story in which I don't know how he won. I got hit few times by his jab which I didn't know was that disjointed but I adapted through it. I kept the pace of the match except for like two strings where I was falling predictably (getting like 40% damage for it), got me killed by Fsmash at 100%, and for the second stock I also hit him a couple times with Shuttle Loops that should've killed if both hits connected but they kept missing over and over. Anyway, when I was recoverying I used like 4 jumps, went for the ledge, he used Dair, got the vulnerable frame thingy, I somehow managed to tech but was too afraid to use the reverse SL and I kept falling until the regular SL wouldn't reach the ledge.

Stupid ways to lose (with a bonus! whiff a grab, get Fsmashed by a Falcon with rage, die at 60%), all sponsored by myself.

Ulevo

Smash Master
So I also went to a tournament.
Got 0-2'd by a Lucina who I have no idea how he won. I played safe, baited and punished her stuff, didn't fall for her SBs, and I mostly got hit by awkward angles of her sword, and still lost. The ending of Game 2 was stupid, both were at last stock, she was at 110% and I was at 70%, I go for a risky Shuttle Loop that hit... with the first part only... when falling down, she Dairs me, gets the spike bouncing me off just enough to get hit by a buffered Fsmash and finish the stock. Dumb as F.

Then I lost to a G&W same story in which I don't know how he won. I got hit few times by his jab which I didn't know was that disjointed but I adapted through it. I kept the pace of the match except for like two strings where I was falling predictably (getting like 40% damage for it), got me killed by Fsmash at 100%, and for the second stock I also hit him a couple times with Shuttle Loops that should've killed if both hits connected but they kept missing over and over. Anyway, when I was recoverying I used like 4 jumps, went for the ledge, he used Dair, got the vulnerable frame thingy, I somehow managed to tech but was too afraid to use the reverse SL and I kept falling until the regular SL wouldn't reach the ledge.

Stupid ways to lose (with a bonus! whiff a grab, get Fsmashed by a Falcon with rage, die at 60%), all sponsored by myself.
The salt is real. Any replays.

By the way, did you bother angling your Shuttle Loops when they whiffed like that?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFop6YrbN0U

I know I'm bad, don't say it out loud. ;P
Specially with game 2, I kept getting the balloons wrong all the time.

I guess I need to be a bit more conscious of Shuttle Loop and if it may miss.

EDIT: Just rewatched the game, and I forgot how the last stock actually was. Still kinda dumb.

Last edited:

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
About the Ito cape escape thing, I'm not quite sure I get it. You just jump, dj, buffer down b and then go straight horizontally to the left or right? It looks fairly slow to me, you fall for quite a long time. If anyone has a video to clarify it would be great.

PS: I love this board, MK community best community :4metaknight:

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I don't quite get it either, even though it sounds like something I should definitely implement in my gameplay. If anyone wants to join my room and want me to record a video of them doing it and upload it to YouTube so we can all be clear, hmu.

Last edited by a moderator:

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
So I found out, and it's what I descibed. You can watch Ito use it convincingly here : http://www.twitch.tv/smash_entity/b/655843753
At 4:57:05 he fights Rich Brown. Second game is against Luigi, he uses it one time to escape and then go in with a DA.

I'll be playing a lot this afternoon so I'll give it a try.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
The cape is strictly good to time out respawn invincibility or to get out of the corner of the stage on some occasions.

I wouldn't recommend doing it against: :4falcon::4sonic::4littlemac::4fox:

But the auto cancel makes it safe, Ftilt clanks with DA,beats grabs,beats alot of sh aerials. I say its good to use twice in one game, you can mix it up by not inputting any direction making MK fall on the spot(baits opponents HARD).

ZTD | TECHnology

You get to bait people really hard too. Most people don't know it AC's so you can Cape, land and many folks will run and try to DA or Grab you in which that case you get to punish them in a myriad of ways. I started using that this weekend more and it works much than it should lol.

EDIT: What's up on that Skype group?

Last edited:

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
2:32:22
3:47:33
4:32:13
4:48:54
Thanks for being less lazy than me :D

I tried it quite a lot yesterday, and I agree that it's not safe against everyone but can surprise unexpecting players thinking we've messed up our inputs. It's not that safe against fast characters and projectile heavy caracters (it was quite a disaster against the Links I played since he can just randomly throw a **** ton of hitboxes and hit me).

ZTD | TECHnology

I have an upcoming money match against a Falcon. A rival of mine. I need a general load of Falcon MU dropped on me. Gotta win this haha. It's at a weekly so there's gonna be a crowd watching. Gotta represent!

Last edited:
Top Bottom