• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Counter?

NFST4R

Smash Cadet
NNID
NFEEMNOMM
3DS FC
1263-6876-0095
A common complaint I have heard across the Project M community is how OP Lucas is. Ver. 3.0 introduced Mewtwo, and no one knew what to expect, but in my opinion we have found PM's God Tier. If you watched Low Tier City 2, you may have noticed that an unfamiliar face, Neon made it Grands against none other than M2K. The reason I say Mewtwo is the counter is because Mewtwo has F-Air, which stops Lucas' combo game (which is imperative to Lucas kills) and because he is not ground based. I was wondering if some of you could bounce ideas off of me to find the counter to Mewtwo and maybe further understand the character?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I don't think there is a real counter "character" to m2, yet. There are also other characters, such as mario and Marth can handle Lucas rather well.

NFST4R

Smash Cadet
NNID
NFEEMNOMM
3DS FC
1263-6876-0095
That is true, for I play Mario against Lucas. Axe used Falco against Neon and dominated, I tested theories and found maybe falco can stop lucas well with lasers?

Holla

Smash Rookie
As a Mewtwo main I have to say that I cannot stand playing lucas players. While you are correct about how effective the F-air is against lucas, it is incredibly difficult for me to land on good lucas players because of how slippery he is. I fid my biggest troubles against lucas players is lucas's aerial game. Mewtwo players grow accustomed to having air superiority and to be combo'd in the air repeatedly becomes frustrating

ComposedJam

Smash Cadet
If anything lucas is a mewtwo counter, in my opinion.

lucas can kill of the top very early against mewtwo. (upsmash, upthrow)

lucas can mix up his recovery to make it harder for mewtwo to edge guard

lucas can combo mewtwo pretty easily because mewtwo is a large character.

lucas can outspam mewtwo with his pk freeze, forcing mewtwo to approach.

lucas can absorb shadowball from mewtwo.

the list goes on, really.

Last edited:

NFST4R

Smash Cadet
NNID
NFEEMNOMM
3DS FC
1263-6876-0095
If anything lucas is a mewtwo counter, in my opinion.

lucas can kill of the top very early against mewtwo. (upsmash, upthrow)

lucas can mix up his recovery to make it harder for mewtwo to edge guard

lucas can combo mewtwo pretty easily because mewtwo is a large character.

lucas can outspam mewtwo with his pk freeze, forcing mewtwo to approach.

lucas can absorb shadowball from mewtwo.

the list goes on, really.
i see what you mean. This is interesting to know

ComposedJam

Smash Cadet
i see what you mean. This is interesting to know
Yeah, you just have to abuse your advantages. If you grab mewtwo and he's anywhere close to 100-110 just up throw him. Depending on the level you'll get the KO.

having trouble on neutral? don't bother approaching. Just wait for him to approach and hit him. Mewtwo's approach game isn't the best out there.

having trouble getting back on the ledge? you can magnet stall, up b, or tether. You can even cancel your tether into magnet and get a lucky stage spike sometimes.

Is he getting a little too liberal with the teleport? charge up an up smash and read the teleport (it's not hard) you'll get an easy KO.

keep in mind that half of his tail is a hurt box. I've had lucas use dair against me and only hit me because of my tail. Keep this in mind and abuse the **** out of it.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.

NFST4R

Smash Cadet
NNID
NFEEMNOMM
3DS FC
1263-6876-0095
Yeah, you just have to abuse your advantages. If you grab mewtwo and he's anywhere close to 100-110 just up throw him. Depending on the level you'll get the KO.

having trouble on neutral? don't bother approaching. Just wait for him to approach and hit him. Mewtwo's approach game isn't the best out there.

having trouble getting back on the ledge? you can magnet stall, up b, or tether. You can even cancel your tether into magnet and get a lucky stage spike sometimes.

Is he getting a little too liberal with the teleport? charge up an up smash and read the teleport (it's not hard) you'll get an easy KO.

keep in mind that half of his tail is a hurt box. I've had lucas use dair against me and only hit me because of my tail. Keep this in mind and abuse the **** out of it.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.
Are you kidding!? This is awesome advice thank you so much!!!!

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Lucas doesn't counter Mewtwo beyond the point where hovernair is the only thing Mewtwo does out of teleport. The matchup improves steadily (albeit slowly, as Lucas also develops well) as you move beyond that level. It's one of Mewtwo's closest matchups thanks to Lucas' many good traits, but it's not disadvantageous.

Last edited:

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
Mewtwo has the advantage. Lucas has a tough time both getting in and recovering, so even though he 0-KOs you on certain stages, Mewtwo has the tools to not get hit. That being said once you get hit it's PRETTY ROUGH but you can deal a ton of damage to lucas when it's your turn to combo him so it's w/e.

Even though Mewtwo's approaches outside of hover after up-B are pretty weak, lucas can't really force Mewtwo to approach. If Mewtwo has control of the center of the stage, it's really hard for lucas to NOT approach. When pressured lucas has nowhere to run while Mewtwo can go anywhere he wants. Also PK Freeze isn't very good at keeping mewtwo out cause I'm pretty sure mewtwo can teleport in on reaction to lucas throwing it, but not 100% sure.

But as a disclaimer I'm pretty sure Neon would beat me :D

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Mewtwo has the advantage. Lucas has a tough time both getting in and recovering, so even though he 0-KOs you on certain stages, Mewtwo has the tools to not get hit. That being said once you get hit it's PRETTY ROUGH but you can deal a ton of damage to lucas when it's your turn to combo him so it's w/e.

Even though Mewtwo's approaches outside of hover after up-B are pretty weak, lucas can't really force Mewtwo to approach. If Mewtwo has control of the center of the stage, it's really hard for lucas to NOT approach. When pressured lucas has nowhere to run while Mewtwo can go anywhere he wants. Also PK Freeze isn't very good at keeping mewtwo out cause I'm pretty sure mewtwo can teleport in on reaction to lucas throwing it, but not 100% sure.

Impossibru Emukeeler luses tah only CeeTee ZehRo.

NFST4R

Smash Cadet
NNID
NFEEMNOMM
3DS FC
1263-6876-0095

This is good info to have and I appreciate the reply, I have seen your Mewtwo a bunch and GODDAMN but yeah man good luck in the future and thanks. I feel my Lucas would only be something I use vs mew two unless I wanted to maybe use Marth or something. Spaceys get kinda ***** by mew two so I am gonna steer clear of that.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Spaceys get kinda ***** by mew two so I am gonna steer clear of that.
This is not true. I play a Falco player on wifi (and we have a very strong connection, and back when I borrowed my friend's alienware we played on Netplay) and Falco can fire lasers at a fast enough rate that it interrupts Teleport approaches (5 frame jumpsquat + 23 frame TP+ 5 frame fair/nair=33 frames). Also, Falco can kill Mewtwo easily (he can kill most characters easily though). And Falco wins the mid range game with SH dair. Only real way to beat it is by perfectly spacing and timing up tilt. Also if you let Falco get in on your shield, you lost, Mewtwo's OoS options suck.

NFST4R

Smash Cadet
NNID
NFEEMNOMM
3DS FC
1263-6876-0095
This is not true. I play a Falco player on wifi (and we have a very strong connection, and back when I borrowed my friend's alienware we played on Netplay) and Falco can fire lasers at a fast enough rate that it interrupts Teleport approaches (5 frame jumpsquat + 23 frame TP+ 5 frame fair/nair=33 frames). Also, Falco can kill Mewtwo easily (he can kill most characters easily though). And Falco wins the mid range game with SH dair. Only real way to beat it is by perfectly spacing and timing up tilt. Also if you let Falco get in on your shield, you lost, Mewtwo's OoS options suck.
Wow I truly never thought about that. I feel like chain grabs are definitely a big issue though correct?

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Wow I truly never thought about that. I feel like chain grabs are definitely a big issue though correct?
We punish Falco super hard, but unlike Fox who has to rely on random hits into the up smash, Falco can straight up combo you hard too.

Holla

Smash Rookie

Not to be a fangirl but as a mewtwo player you are seriously my idol!

Boiko

:drshrug:

Idk dude. You beat GP and he's waaaaay better than Neon. ;)

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Idk dude. You beat GP and he's waaaaay better than Neon.
I find that hard to believe. He doesn't seem as on point with punishes and his reaction time is obviously worse. I typed GP in and the first video that came up was this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iednzhxzZdI

I highly doubt that wario is truly a hard counter to lucas but that first game went really bad. he looks like a good lucas though.

Im not saying emukiller isnt awesome though because hes definitely the best mewtwo out there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom