• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King's Domain: Utilizing  Ganondorf's Best Stage (Updated 4/9/15)

The King's Domain: Utilizing Ganondorf's Best Stage (Updated 4/9/15)

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
_Magus_ submitted a new guide:

The King's Domain: Utilizing Ganondorf's Best Stage - A guide to some of the more extensive options Ganondorf has on Battlefield, and how to use them.

I happen to believe that Battlefield is Ganondorf's best stage. The platforms can give him cover from projectiles and from attacks from above, and they also give him some interesting shennanigans with his side b. This guide will go in depth about why this is such a good stage for Ganondorf, and what you can do to abuse it.

#1: Projectile Cover
It's no secret that platforms are helpful for dealing with projectiles. You can jump on top of them instead of having to time jumps over projectiles,...
Read more about this guide...

Scraptor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScraptorBC
Thanks for the guide! Will you do others? What about a list of good stages for Ganondorf? For example is Lylat really bad for Ganondorf because of the size and the angled edges or does that help?

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Thanks for the guide! Will you do others? What about a list of good stages for Ganondorf? For example is Lylat really bad for Ganondorf because of the size and the angled edges or does that help?
Thanks! So glad you enjoyed it. For me, I hate lylat for recovery purposes. It still has platforms, but the ledge sweetspot and the tilt of the stage make recovery a pain.

I will probably do more stage guides in the future, so stay tuned!

EDIT: btw, this guide is still a work in progress, so check back often for new info I've compiled about battlefield.

Last edited:

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
Great stuff man, little bare bones atm but I know you're adding more so I look forward to seeing the other maps. I had no idea about the side-b shenanigans on BF but I'll have to incorporate them into my playstyle.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It depends. Against certain chars, yes. Town and City is among his best too.
Interesting, I can see that. What would you characterize as the defining difference?

Also, could an argument be made for Delfino?

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Interesting, I can see that. What would you characterize as the defining difference?

Also, could an argument be made for Delfino?
Against bigger more bulkier characters (Bowser, King Dedede) and those who would land on platforms after a choke, BF is the wiser choice.

Against projectile users, and much of the 'other' cast Town and City works wonders. Short edges, so it's not so easy to get gimped, and the platforms appearing help a lot.

Delfino, I can see that being good against a few specific characters. Characters like ZSS, Sheik and even King Dedede, yes.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Too bad Yoshi's Island (3DS) in not availabe.
That stage has so, so much to offer Ganon.

Scraptor

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScraptorBC
Are there any match ups that Ganon would prefer FD or Omega versions of stages? FD is my first strike whenever I been laddering

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Great stuff man, little bare bones atm but I know you're adding more so I look forward to seeing the other maps. I had no idea about the side-b shenanigans on BF but I'll have to incorporate them into my playstyle.
Well, it does say in the title that it's a guide about Battlefield, but in the future I may add info about other stages, depending on what I can gather.

Last edited:

Hi-Hatz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vrillyhoo
Have you seen my stage thread? I haven't updated in a bit but I'm still on it. Feel free to take anything from that you might find. Right now mine is more about like solid facts and techs about the stages, but I might add opinions like good counters and bans if people want it. Hurray for stage discussion.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
@ _Magus_ _Magus_ , have you tested the potential of Dair shenanigans on BF's platforms? I noticed you can achieve a SH AC Dair effect on the platforms utilizing SH>DJ>Dair. Ganon's landing lag is somehow negated even when the hitbox comes out low enough over the platform to hit the entire cast. This covers any part of all of the platforms and is usable as a followup to uthrow (also allowing dtilt and ftilt/jab on bounce) at low percentages and dthrow at mid-high percentages (especially good at punishing platform techs). And since this is AC Dair we're talking about, you don't even have to hit with it. Being that there is no landing lag it can be faked into a jab, ftilt, grab, shield, etc. for punishing misreads.

I unfortunately have not had the pleasure of testing this against real people yet, but I can get it to work consistently against lvl 9s. I imagine that human opponents might catch on pretty quickly, but then again there are so many situations and angles one can use this in I bet it may take a few matches for someone to really be able to avoid this or punish it. Thoughts?

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
@ _Magus_ _Magus_ , have you tested the potential of Dair shenanigans on BF's platforms? I noticed you can achieve a SH AC Dair effect on the platforms utilizing SH>DJ>Dair. Ganon's landing lag is somehow negated even when the hitbox comes out low enough over the platform to hit the entire cast. This covers any part of all of the platforms and is usable as a followup to uthrow (also allowing dtilt and ftilt/jab on bounce) at low percentages and dthrow at mid-high percentages (especially good at punishing platform techs). And since this is AC Dair we're talking about, you don't even have to hit with it. Being that there is no landing lag it can be faked into a jab, ftilt, grab, shield, etc. for punishing misreads.

I unfortunately have not had the pleasure of testing this against real people yet, but I can get it to work consistently against lvl 9s. I imagine that human opponents might catch on pretty quickly, but then again there are so many situations and angles one can use this in I bet it may take a few matches for someone to really be able to avoid this or punish it. Thoughts?
That's interesting, I'll definitely test it today. This could be the ultimate followup after Ganondorf's side b that pops the opponent on the platform. But something here doesn't quite seem to add up. Have you considered that maybe this is the lag cancel dair that Izaw discovered? I don't know how a double jump would negate ending lag, but if that's true it'd be great. I'll test it and get back to you later.

Last edited:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
It's not the one that Izaw discovered as his requires that you hit your opponent (no shields or whifs) and then fastfall immediately. This can be done with no enemy present or after hitting shield. Last night when playing a lvl9 Marth I got shield>grab>Uthrow through platform>SH-DJ>Dair(he shielded and missed a grab as I was traveling away)>AC>pivot grab>Dthrow (started at zero but I didn't pay attention to the percentage). In training mode with computer on "stand" I was able to cover all parts of the platforms and AC with no hits made.

The same can be done with fall through platform>wait half a sec> DJ>Dair, which can be used from the top middle platform to the others. I haven't gotten the following string to work yet but I imagine you could flamechoke shark on top platform>ftilt or jab (on some of the cast)> fallthrough DJ AC Dair to punish their landing/tech on the platform at early percentages. I did, however, get this string to work: flame choke shark>fallthrough DJ AC Dair. This finished the current "stock."

Edit: I really wish I had the capability of making a video to demonstrate this. We could do some Ganon wifi dittos and I could demonstrate it there if you want.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Pardon the bump but something that should be added about platform choking.

The tech has insanely specific timing. They literally hit the ground right as the grab finishes, so they literally only have like, 1-3 frames to make the tech. I was testing this for something else and I literally could only make the tech 1/10 or so times.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Pardon the bump but something that should be added about platform choking.

The tech has insanely specific timing. They literally hit the ground right as the grab finishes, so they literally only have like, 1-3 frames to make the tech. I was testing this for something else and I literally could only make the tech 1/10 or so times.
Thanks! Will definitely add this :D

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I wish mapped Custom Stages were allowed.
I've created a Custom Stage named Ganon's Tower. Everything about it benefits Ganon in unfair ways.
It's lenght is the same as a wizkick cancel, so you can WKC to the other side at anytime, and it slants slightly from the middle out, allowing for SH AC Dairs as well as garantueed Dtilts on pretty much all characters.
There's also two small platforms you can Silver Plate (Gerudo) ppl on for an almost unavoidable Usmash.
Your opponent is always in the range of a wizkick, with no room left to retreat, so Ganon puts enormous pressure on ppl simply by beeing on the stage.

Top Bottom