• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ideal Super Smash Bros.64 roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inspired by: http://smashboards.com/members/diddy-kong.17122/
It's the year, 1998,and Nintendo has hired you to become the director and create a roster for their latest Nintendo 64 game: Super Smash Bros.
Rules
  • Since you have a small team and budget, you can only add 15 characters in the game.​
  • You must add: :4mario:,:4dk:,:4link:,:4samus:,:4yoshi:,:4kirby:,:4fox:, and :4pikachu: in your roster.​
  • You don't have to add these characters, but you can if you want: :4luigi:,:4falcon:,:4ness:,and :4jigglypuff:.​
  • The largest amount of characters you can add from a universe (Mario,Zelda,Metroid,etc) is three.​
  • No characters from the future (:4bowserjr:,:4feroy:,:4mii:,:4zss:,:4lucas:,:4olimar:,etc).​
  • No third party or fourth party characters (:4sonic:,:4megaman:,:4pacman:,etc), however you can add characters that were created by Rare.​
My roster:
Starter Characters
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Yoshi
  6. Kirby
  7. Fox
  8. Pikachu
  9. Banjo-Kazooie
Unlockable characters

1. Zelda
  2. Captain Falcon
  3. Bowser
  4. Mewtwo
  5. Ness
  6. Lip

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
:4mario::4luigi::4wario2::4yoshi::4pikachu::4jigglypuff:
:4kirby::4dedede::4ness::4samus::4dk::4link::4falcon::4fox:

Reasoning: All the Original Twelve were very good picks in my honest opinion, Ness while somewhat questionable did have a future at this time, Jigglypuff's popularity was high at the time and she is only mistaken to be unimportant which simply isn't the case, and Captain Falcon, while also somewhat questionable evolved into the face of the game.
The new characters I added were Wario, since the game could use some antagonists and Wario not only fits the bill, but was a popular and beloved character, Meowth, since Meowth is also rather deserving and (Mewtwo's a shoo-in for melee anyway, so need to worry), and Dedede since he should have been there from the start to be honest.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, here is my roster:

1. Mario
2. Donkey Kong
3. Link
4. Samus Aran
5. Yoshi
6. Kirby
7. Fox McCloud
8. Pikachu
9. Jigglypuff
10. Captain Falcon
11. Luigi
12. Ness

Newcomers

1. Bowser
2. Marth
3. Pit
4. Peach
5. Zelda
6. Dedede
7. Meowth
8. Black Shadow

SnowmanEX711

Smash Cadet
:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu:/Secret::4luigi::4falcon::4ness:

Add::4bowser::4dedede:/Secrets I would add: :4ganondorf::4mewtwo:

Although not very clear about the date of the game, I assume Gannondorf would be a very late addition to the game since OOT came out late in the year.

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
1) Mario
2) Link
3) Pikachu
4) Donkey Kong
5) Samus
6) Kirby
7) Yoshi
8) Fox McCloud
9) Captain Falcon
10) Ness
11) Charizard
12) Bowser
13) King K Rool
14) Ganon
15) Marth

Yeah, you'd be seeing more villains and heavies if I ran the show.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Starter:
Mario
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Link
Pikachu
Kirby
Samus
Fox

Unlockable:
Luigi
Captain Falcon
Ness
Jigglypuff
Meowth
King Dedede

(Banjo Kazooie were still third party and I don't think Smash was ready for third party at the beginning. Now if Rare was bought by Nintendo, it'd be a different story, but they would've been held off for Melee if not Microsoft had bought them).

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Btw, my roster was made when the limit per franchise is still 2... :/

So this is how my roster work:
  • When picking franchises, they must be worldwide. So no FE.
  • Base on the 10 franchises by default:
    1. Find 3 characters for each franchise: The main protagonist, the rival/partner, and the antagonist. (or in Pokemon's case just the iconic one, a second-most popular, and a villain)
    2. Franchises that feel hard to pick 3 characters accordingly will go under the "single-rep group". 5 of them here in this case. (Actually I favor more on characters that are already in so :/)
  • For the three characters picked:
    1. Take the main character (duh)
    2. If either one's playstyle/body shape is too similar with the main character, pick the other choice
    3. If both, favor the villain.

And with a little bias, I decided on my roster with at most 2 rep per franchise. :/

Not sure how if it's 3 tho

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
the same roster it had. they did they best they could with the limits theu had and for their first venture. i guess i'd add banjo kazooie to possibly change the future, maybe give rare more incentive to stay with nintendo? XD

Last edited:

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Yoshi
  4. Donkey Kong
  5. Dixie Kong
  6. Link
  7. Samus
  8. Kirby
  9. Fox
  10. Pikachu
  11. Meowth
  12. Mew
  13. Captain Falcon
  14. Ness
  15. Banjo-Kazooie

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
  1. Mario
  2. Link
  3. DK
  4. Yoshi
  5. Kirby
  6. Samus
  7. Fox
  8. Pikachu
  9. Meowth
  10. Luigi
  11. Wario
  12. Diddy
  13. Bowser
  14. Zelda
  15. Pit
Doubtful-I-would-have-even-thought-of-Ness-Falcon-or-Jigglypuff-honestly.

(Space-bar-broken-at-current)

Isn't James Bond 4th party.. (Banjo Kazooie were still third party and I don't think Smash was ready for third party at the beginning. Now if Rare was bought by Nintendo, it'd be a different story, but they would've been held off for Melee if not Microsoft had bought them).
Yeah you're right, I used Did You Know Gaming? as a source,but I realized that they didn't get most of their information correct. So he will be replaced with :4zelda:.

The rules said that Rare characters were fine, mostly because Rare had a great relationship with Nintendo at the time.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
The James Bond I was using was from GoldenEye 007, the N64 game.
[quote="POKEMANSPIKA,
(Banjo Kazooie were still third party and I don't think Smash was ready for third party at the beginning. Now if Rare was bought by Nintendo, it'd be a different story, but they would've been held off for Melee if not Microsoft had bought them).
The rules said that Rare characters were fine, mostly because Rare had a great relationship with Nintendo at the time.[/quote]
I know Rare characters were fine. If I was making Smash, I wouldn't put them in because the original Smash game's concept was fighting as your favorite Nintendo characters. Banjo Kazooie were not Nintendo characters. I would save them for Melee. And James Bond originated in a book.

The rules said that Rare characters were fine, mostly because Rare had a great relationship with Nintendo at the time.
I know Rare characters were fine. If I was making Smash, I wouldn't put them in because the original Smash game's concept was fighting as your favorite Nintendo characters. Banjo Kazooie were not Nintendo characters. I would save them for Melee. And James Bond originated in a book.
That's why he's being replaced by Zelda.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
:4bowser::4luigi::4mario::4dk::4samus::4link::4zelda::4falcon:
:4ness::4dedede::4kirby::4fox::4yoshi::4pikachu::4charizard::4mewtwo:

Base Game:

Mario
Donkey Kong
Samus
Link
Kirby
Fox
Yoshi
Pikachu

Unlockable:

Bowser
Luigi
Zelda
Captain Falcon
Ness
King Dedede
Charizard
Mewtwo

The four slots on each side of the roster are unlocked, emulating the previous one but adding 4 more ? squares. I lined up each character to line up with their fellows from the same IP. Also the roster is mirrored:

Mario Mario Mario Donkey Kong Metroid Zelda Zelda F-Zero
Ness Kirby Kirby Starfox Yoshi Pokemon Pokemon Pokemon

3, 1, 1, 2, 1
1, 2, 1, 1, 3

I thought it added a nice touch.

Anyway I decided to keep 11 of the original 12. I did not include :4jigglypuff: because, while popular at the time, :4charizard: and :4mewtwo: went on to become the most popular Pokemon aside from :4pikachu: himself. Plus it's a bit of personal bias. If I had to include :4jigglypuff:, I'd have :4charizard: be the other unlockable Pokemon. Because bias.

:4bowser: and :4dedede: should have been in there from the start, and put some villains in the original game. Plus more heavy weights besides :4dk:. :4zelda: mixes things up being the game's only dedicated spellcasting character, and unlike :4ganondorf:, Zelda didn't appear just as the game would have been finished and has been in the series for a while. No :4sheik:.

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
Starters:
Mario
DK
Link
Samus
Yoshi
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Banjo-Kazooie
Captain Falcon

Unlockables:
Luigi
James Bond (He wasn't "created" by Rare, but he counts, right? I mean, Goldeneye's mine is an item in the real Smash 64.)
Black Shadow
Bowser
Falco

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Starters:
:4mario::4luigi::4pikachu::4yoshi::4dk:
:4kirby::4fox::4samus::4link::4pit:

Added Pit because, while his franchise hadn't had games in a while at the time of the original Smash Bros.' release, it was still well-remembered, and I added Luigi to the starting list partially for symmetry, partially because he's the Ken to Mario's Ryu.

Unlockables:
:4mewtwo::4ness::4falcon::4zelda: + Banjo-Kazooie

Kept Ness and Falcon as unlockables since their franchises don't seem to be as notable as the ones on the starting roster. Added Mewtwo because it's probably the most prominent non-Pikachu Pokemon (it's between him and Charizard, anyway - Jigglypuff had importance in the anime early on, but otherwise, she's just one Pokemon out of hundreds)

I found it weird to have two Mario and Pokemon characters but only one Zelda, and seeing as the franchise is named after the princess (and Ganondorf hadn't existed for particularly long in 1999), she seemed like the best choice. As for Banjo and Kazooie, it just makes sense to me - if Microsoft hadn't bought out Rare, I could see them getting into Melee or Brawl easily.

Little Mac just barely missed the cut - I was going to add him, and then I remembered Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
:4mario::4link::4pikachu::4samus::4fox::4yoshi::4kirby::4dk::4falcon::4luigi: - 10 Characters

Banjo & Kazooie - Would Advertise Rare's Games Well, and Would have kind of a Duck Hunt mechanic with Kazooie.

Rash (Battletoads) - This guy would be so cool to see fighting with other Nintendo characters, especially before Rare is taken away by Microsoft.

:4mewtwo:- Basically was extremely popular at the time due to the pokemon movie.

Sigurd (Fire Emblem) - The main protagonist of the most recent Fire Emblem game at the time. He fights with a sword and can ride a horse using his B Moves. While on his horse he can use a lance.

Lip (Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack) - Fights with a fairy stick and magic puzzle blocks.

Ness and Little Mac just barely missed the list.

Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Starter:
Mario
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Yoshi
Link
Samus
Marth
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu

Unlockable:
Ness
Captain Falcon
Bowser
Ganon
Mewtwo

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
1. Mario
2. Link
3. Samus
4. Pikachu
5. Donkey Kong
6. Yoshi
7. Fox
8. Kirby

9. King Dedede
10. Bowser
11. King K. Rool
12. Captain Falcon
13. Meowth
14. Ridley
15. Ganon

I always thought the game would've been better with villains, which it had none of. Aside from Falcon, you could unlock a villain by beating the single player mode with the protagonist of that respective series.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Starter:
:4mario::4peach::4dk::4littlemac::4link:
:4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu:
Unlockable:
:4bowser::4zelda::4falcon::4ness::4wario2:

Bowser: Beat Classic Mode on Normal Difficulty using Peach.
Zelda: Win 100 vs. matches as Link.
Captain Falcon: Beat Classic Mode on Hard Difficulty in under 20 minutes, using Little Mac.
Ness: Complete Break the Targets and Board the Platforms with all the starter fighters.
Wario: Beat Classic Mode on Very Hard.

For the starting roster, I added Peach since she was playing a larger role in more games, such as Super Mario RPG and the Mario Kart series, added Little Mac because he's retro and he's, y'know, a fighter. As for the hidden characters, Bowser makes sense since he's *the* antagonist, Zelda since she's the name of her own series and played a huge role in OoT, kept Captain Falcon and Ness, and added Wario since he would've been designed after the Land series rather than the non-existent-at-the-time WarioWare titles. I dropped Luigi since he wasn't too different at the time and Mario could easily have had a blue/green alt, and I didn't care much for Jigglypuff until Melee.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Starter:

1) Mario
2) Donkey Kong
3) Link
4) Samus
5) Yoshi
6) Kirby
7) Fox
8) Pikachu

Unlockable:

9) Luigi
10) Bowser
11) Captain Falcon
12) Ness
13) King Dedede
14) Mewtwo

I dropped Jigglypuff because she has never, ever, ever made sense to me in Smash. Added Bowser, King Dedede and Mewtwo because they would have been perfect back in the day, and they were planned for inclusion.

Last edited:

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
1. Kirby

2. Kirby

3. Kirby

4. Kirby

5. Kirby

6. Kirby

7. Kirby

8. Kirby

9. Kirby

10. Kirby

11. Kirby

12. Jigglypuff

Not my fault these are pretty much the only two characters I use.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
Starter:
1. Mario
2. DK
3. Link
4. Pikachu
5. Kirby
6. Samus
7. Fox
8. Yoshi
Unlockables:
9. Ness
10 Luigi
11. Captain Falcon
12. Pit
13. Marth
14. Ganondorf
15. Bowser

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Hmm..

I can only imagine if Mewtwo made it in instead of Jigglypuff in Smash 64. Then Mewtwo would have been part of the Original 12 and likely never would have been cut. All water under the bridge now that he's back, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom