• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cyborg Giant, Meta-Ridley for Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton

Now why should Meta-Ridley be playable you ask? Well if you read the second post on the Ridley thread, you would know that he is incredibly likely, but with Lucina playable, perhaps we can see the same thing happen for our favourite cyborg.

Other reasons why he could be playable

1. Already listed Lucina situation
2. Ridley and Samus are really the only Metroid characters who should be playable (Maybe Dark Samus, but still Samus in a way) so if Metroid were to get more characters, why not a second Ridley to match the second Samus
3. Meta-Ridley has much more Potential then Standard Ridley so maybe Sakurai could throw us a curveball and make Ridley a boss while Meta-Ridley is playable with his large variety of weapons.

Meta-Ridley for Smash!

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Add me to the support list, I'd rather have meta ridley than the actual ridley!
2. Ridley and Samsu are really the only Metroid characters who should be playable
I'll support samsu too!

Morbi

Scavenger
I suppose it is possible; at first, I thought that there was no feasible precedent to support this notion. However, in Melee, a newcomer, Marth, had a clone variation, Roy. To a lesser extent, Mario and Luigi in Smash 64. I would assert that the vast majority of clones/similar characters are added into a game after the inclusion of the original, but again, that is not an objective rule as there are exceptions.

Meta-Ridley is more favorable than Ridley to me personally. It would be funny to see Ridley as a stage-boss and Meta-Ridley as the playable character. I do not believe it is likely, but I certainly would not mind.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
2. Ridley and Samus are really the only Metroid characters who should be playable
Dark Samus, Sylux, Noxus, Spire, Weavel, Trace, Kanden, Rundas, Ghor, Gandrayda.

I appreciate the support for our Commander, but please note that Sylux has been Metroid's darkhorse since Hunters.

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
FIrst we need Ridley himself before we get MR..... lol if we only got Meta Ridley id laugh so hard

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Seems really pointless to have a thread for Ridley AND Meta-Ridley. Especially since they'd likely have the same playstyle.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Seems really pointless to have a thread for Ridley AND Meta-Ridley. Especially since they'd likely have the same playstyle.
Not really. Ridley doesn't have missile launchers or plasma beam weaponry. They'd play pretty differently. Meta-Ridley would be much more of a ranged character, focusing on outmaneuvering and keeping distance with his impressive mobility. Ridley is a close range powerhouse that closes on you and tears you apart.

They're about as different as Samus and ZSS.

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Sakurai be all like "You get a Ridley! And you get a Ridley! Everybody gets a Ridley!"

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
The best thing about this, is that it wouldn't be hard to implement. I mean, it pretty much uses Ridley's model, so now that they've gotten regular Ridley working, they can just reskin it, but then they get to slap on a completely different moveset and have a totally new fighter, who would also be very unique on the roster.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Meta Ridley being playable while Ridley wouldn't be won't be a good decision. Meta Ridley AND Ridley will feel unnecessary too. We can have Meta Ridley as a boss or a trophy, but not playable character. Anyway, Ridley is more iconic, so, Meta Ridley has even less chances because if Sakurai will decide to not make Ridley playable, why would he make Meta Ridley playable? Meta Ridley Alt model is impossible now too unless they will redesign him to look like Other M Ridley since if Ridley is playable, then he is using Other M model (or at least something very close to it) and you can't just make 1:1 Meta Ridley alt without making it look like Pikadorf unless you will make extra animations to fix that, but it would require as much time as was used to make original animations for Ridley. And wasting so much time for a simple alt model? So, playable Meta Ridley in this game is impossible if Ridley isn't playable.

Dark Samus, Sylux, Noxus, Spire, Weavel, Trace, Kanden, Rundas, Ghor, Gandrayda.

I appreciate the support for our Commander, but please note that Sylux has been Metroid's darkhorse since Hunters.
They are not important and appeared only in 1 game except for Dark Samus of course. So, Samus, Ridley, Dark Samus and then just waste of time. Its like adding Tingle - something unimportant that peoples want (well, only Japan wants Tingle...). Those 3 are the only Metroid characters that deserve to be playable. No Sylux, Rundas, Anthony, Adam, etc.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Ridley is obviously too big to ever be considered for a spot as a playable character in Smash and must be a boss/stage hazard forevermore. Meta-Ridley on the other hand is perfectly suited to be playable, and can easily be re-sized as needed. Plus, he's got MASSIVE moveset potential, and no other character could possibly leave such a BIG impact on the roster!

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Meta Ridley being playable while Ridley wouldn't be won't be a good decision. Meta Ridley AND Ridley will feel unnecessary too. We can have Meta Ridley as a boss or a trophy, but not playable character. Anyway, Ridley is more iconic, so, Meta Ridley has even less chances because if Sakurai will decide to not make Ridley playable, why would he make Meta Ridley playable? Meta Ridley Alt model is impossible now too unless they will redesign him to look like Other M Ridley since if Ridley is playable, then he is using Other M model (or at least something very close to it) and you can't just make 1:1 Meta Ridley alt without making it look like Pikadorf. So, playable Meta Ridley in this game is impossible if Ridley isn't playable.
Ridley is playable, though, so we can theorize here about the awesome Meta Ridley.

They are not important and appeared only in 1 game except for Dark Samus of course. So, Samus, Ridley, Dark Samus and then just waste of time. Its like adding Tingle - something unimportant that peoples want (well, only Japan wants Tingle...). Those 3 are the only Metroid characters that deserve to be playable. No Sylux, Rundas, Anthony, Adam, etc.
To be fair, Tingle has at least shown up in a lot of Zelda games. He started with Majora's Mask, but has since been in Minish Cap, Wind Waker, Oracle of Ages, and Four Swords Adventure. He also has appeared (or images of him, anyway) in Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword.

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Ridley is obviously too big to ever be considered for a spot as a playable character in Smash and must be a boss/stage hazard forevermore. Meta-Ridley on the other hand is perfectly suited to be playable, and can easily be re-sized as needed. Plus, he's got MASSIVE moveset potential, and no other character could possibly leave such a BIG impact on the roster!
Ridley can't be downsized.
Meta Ridley can be downsized.

If that is the most obvious bias ever I don't know what is.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Wait...what? Unless you are not serious, Ridley=Meta Ridley without those extra cybernetic/whatever parts. So, size is exactly same.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Ridley can't be downsized.
Meta Ridley can be downsized.

If that is the most obvious bias ever I don't know what is.
Wait...what? Unless you are not serious, Ridley=Meta Ridley without those extra cybernetic/whatever parts. So, size is exactly same.
Wow, guys. Really? You can't take a joke for what it is? Because if you honestly think that was a serious post, you are not representing Ridley fans well right now.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Ridley is playable, though, so we can theorize here about the awesome Meta Ridley.

To be fair, Tingle has at least shown up in a lot of Zelda games. He started with Majora's Mask, but has since been in Minish Cap, Wind Waker, Oracle of Ages, and Four Swords Adventure. He also has appeared (or images of him, anyway) in Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword.
Would that really be necessary? Just like ZSS, it won't be. Samus and Ridley is enough IMO.

Still, he is not important to those games.

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Wow, guys. Really? You can't take a joke for what it is? Because if you honestly think that was a serious post, you are not representing Ridley fans well right now.
To be fair it's near impossible to show sarcasm on the internet unless you do /s

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Wouldn't this technically be filed under the Ridley thread, as Meta Ridley is still Ridley?

Then again, Ganon is still Ganondorf, but he has his own thread...

So, why not? More Ridley is always good with me, and I like Meta Ridley's design the most! I support this idea!

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Ridley is too big to be contained in one thread!

Soon he will be so big he will consume the entire forums!

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Well as long as it's some form of Ridley (except for Birdy/Adolescence forms...) I'll be fine with his inclusion.

D

Deleted member

These posts I made in the Ridley thread are relevant:

I consider this an off-chance, but something I recently discovered leads me to believe a boss Ridley and playable Ridley is actually plausible.
No, I'm still not convinced that the Pyrosphere Ridley is anything but a boss, so don't bother trying to preach that crap.
Anyways, do you remember the Subspace Emissary?
Well, you know Ridley was featured in both his organic state and in his Prime 1 Meta Ridley state after his first defeat, right?
Now, think about when Tabuu revived the previous bosses to guard the Great Maze. Tabuu revived Ridley and Meta Ridley as separate beings.
Granted, SSE isn't really "canon" and is not likely to be referenced much outside of some enemies in Smash Run, but think about the important aspect here: There are two Ridleys in co-existence within Smash. One organic, one cyborg.
Another thing I'd like to point out is Dark Samus.

Dark Samus is in her Prime 3 appearance. This shows that content from Metroid isn't strictly Other M (though Mother Brain being Zero Mission styled already did that), but more importantly, that Prime 3, which came after Brawl in Japan and had no content, is being recognized.
You know who was in Prime 3? Meta Ridley.
So what I think is a possibility (not a strong one, but plausible) is that we could get the organic Ridley in his Other M appearance as the Pyrosphere boss, and Meta Ridley in his Prime 3 appearance as a playable character.
Now, some of you may say "But Prime 3's Meta Ridley is actually pretty damn huge!".
Here's where I get to what I recently discovered.

This is beta footage for Prime 3. Originally, there was no Omega Ridley; Samus would fight Meta Ridley again (and apparently in the Varia Suit).
Though, if you see what I see, Ridley is quite small. On all fours, he appears to be shorter than Samus here! (not counting wings)
And the movements? Slow. Didn't Sakurai say Ridley "might have to be a little slow"?
Ok, yeah, the clip is running at a slow framerate, but his walking doesn't exactly scream "go in for quick kill".
You know what it makes me think of?

A ****in' alligator creeping up menacingly.
But that's beside the point.
Anywho, that's the off-chance I now believe in. Whether it's the outcome you guys would want is up to you, but I'm pretty sure with how loved Other M Ridley is among the fans, you'd much prefer it being the case.
Something I forgot to mention is that as Meta Ridley, there would be more to work with in regards to a moveset.
Not that organic Ridley doesn't have enough to go with, but Meta Ridley has everything regular Ridley's got (except that new scale hardening thing from Other M), and:
-Kinetic Breath Weapon
-Meson Bomb Launcher
-Ultrathermal Flamestrike Projector
-Multi-Missile System
making for some interesting options in regards to his style.
BOW TO THE NEW AND IMPROVED RIDLEY.
BOW TO HIM.

In Meta We Trust!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom