• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Austin Smash 4 Thread - Weeklies are now at OOPLES!

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
gova, whats ur fb/add me danny banh

magik, maybe come out to ufo tonight? starts at 7:30 .

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
I ended up taking it. I enjoyed all the close games i had. Funny's reaction speed is too godlike. I felt like i was playing against the flash. Sorry to whoever it was that wanted to play friendlies with me. We just finished our 5 hour drive over here / finished a 12 hour shift. Ill gladly play you next week or even sooner if theres anywhere in to meet up.
Maybe next week. I try and make it to the weeklys I can, but it's hard to get off Mondays. Just have to hope someone can cover for me. It would be nice to practice characters I'm interested in without having to in tourney sets.

Nike.

Smash Hero
SAM3 confirmed for April 4th, will have the thread up probably friday.

So Austin guys, how do you feel on the 2 stock vs 3 stock thing? Which do you prefer?

BloodyBoom

Smash Cadet
NNID
davidianyo
@ BloodyBoom BloodyBoom , how do you deal with people that are right on top of you as Falcon? I usually jab1 but then I get grabbed or something.
Playing falcon now? Oboy.

If you mean like they're applying the pressure, I like to jump back nair or just a quick uair. Otherwise just keep in mind his dash covers ridiculous distance if you need to reset to neutral, and dash grab is optimal to punish predictable approaches. Is Falcon one of yo considerations now?

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Playing falcon now? Oboy.

If you mean like they're applying the pressure, I like to jump back nair or just a quick uair. Otherwise just keep in mind his dash covers ridiculous distance if you need to reset to neutral, and dash grab is optimal to punish predictable approaches. Is Falcon one of yo considerations now?
Yeah, I'm picking up Falcon for certain 1v1 matchups. Kirby vs Shiek is impossible (without customs) for example, I do much better with Falcon.

I just don't know what to do for example when they roll on top of you and are slightly behind you because Falcons moves have weird hitboxes and none of his tilts come out that fast.

Last edited:

BloodyBoom

Smash Cadet
NNID
davidianyo
I just don't know what to do for example when they roll on top of you and are slightly behind you because Falcons moves have weird hitboxes and none of his tilts come out that fast.
Oh I see. Turn around jab is usually what works for me but if it catches you off guard, I like to dash attack with c-stick in their direction so that it comes out faster but you can short hop bair too if they're tall enough.

Last edited:

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Might not go to the tourney now, or might just pop in and play a few friendlies. Going out to dinner that night.
Can we do something on a Friday or Saturday night sometime? ><

Tential

Smash Rookie
I just moved to Austin yesterday.
Never really played games outside of play g with my friends and my bro(we're super competitive though which means that I end up having no challenge from anyone but him).

Not sure how this works never done this before but if anyone is looking for people to play with let me know! I don't own smash 4 yet or a wii u, and I'm still getting my place set up, but I want a break lol.

Also is this dragons lair weekly how does that work do I just show up? Non of my friends have ever been gamers not sure how it works or what to expect.

Edit: just sent a request to join the smash 4 Austin on fb. I'm max.

Last edited:

Mike2

Smash Ace
Might not go to the tourney now, or might just pop in and play a few friendlies. Going out to dinner that night.
Can we do something on a Friday or Saturday night sometime? ><
I would like to do something as well. I ran into Collin and we think we should have an old fashioned fest(Collin wants to play brawl lol). I'll ask Joel to let us know ahead of time when he's coming back to Austin. And Collin is pretty busy too so we'd have to schedule it ahead of time.

But in the meantime without them we should play soon. I'm down for a Saturday or Sunday.

BloodyBoom

Smash Cadet
NNID
davidianyo
Also is this dragons lair weekly how does that work do I just show up? Non of my friends have ever been gamers not sure how it works or what to expect.
Yeah man just show up, always good to have new faces. They usually end around 11pm or so and have about 35-40 entrants.

Friday/Saturday works for me personally but yeah good old fashioned smashfest like back in the day sounds good.

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master

Only 1 day left to register for Aftershock!
Zero, Dabuz, Junebug, Denti, Dakpo, Aerolink, and more top players from around the Southwest will be competing! This will be the first true National tournament for Smash 4 that Texas has ever seen, so if you want to test your skills against some of the best players in the country, be sure to register.

Tential

Smash Rookie
Yeah man just show up, always good to have new faces. They usually end around 11pm or so and have about 35-40 entrants.

Friday/Saturday works for me personally but yeah good old fashioned smashfest like back in the day sounds good.
Ya I'm looking to play friendlies. I don't own a wii u and can't compete how I'd want to. I'd definitely enjoy some friendlies.

Just watched eoes peach combo vids even more excited now. I was so used to the turnip advance in brawl that I didn't think I could survive without it. Gave me some good inspiration though, not seeing her much in pro playbhad me a little worried.

Edit: didn't take long for me to give up and get one lol.....

Last edited:

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
I went to that S@DD tourney and did ok in doubles and got bodied in singles. I went mostly marth and ganon some games.

I'm down for a smashfest. Just let me know when to take off and I'll drive up there. Its been too long. I need some more practice because the practice I'm getting on For Glory isn't cutting it...

I'll add you online today Shaun.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
I went to that S@DD tourney and did ok in doubles and got bodied in singles. I went mostly marth and ganon some games.

I'm down for a smashfest. Just let me know when to take off and I'll drive up there. Its been too long. I need some more practice because the practice I'm getting on For Glory isn't cutting it...

I'll add you online today Shaun.
Pick up Falcon, he's really good (and fun) this game.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Alright so I need to get this off my chest, and on this thread is the best place to say this:

I get pissed off when I lose to someone who goes on to lose to SaSSy. Not to say SaSSy is a worse R.O.B. than I (he definitely isn't; he plays way more carefully and performs better as a result), but every time I talk to SaSSy he holds me in the highest regard. We deeply respect each other. So when I lose to someone 2-0 or 3-0 and then SaSSy beats them similarly, I feel the need to prove myself in a rematch that probably won't ever happen in a tournament setting, and that I've let everyone down by underperforming. What's worse is that whenever I do lose, I feel like a paper tiger and that my opponent doesn't respect me or loses respect for me, and I express my frustration by getting the **** out of the venue as quickly as possible. I left AiRF2 after being eliminated by Donkey (Danke? Donke?) because I was so pissed off for not reacting properly to Monkey Flip spam, and I was very close to leaving the tournament in San Marcos after being eliminated by Savage.

School and a nagging parent prevent me from attending tournaments (I'm 21, but get treated like I'm 12) or free play sessions a lot of the time. Starting April 19th however I should be 100% free to play whenever and wherever I please.

**** man.

Last edited:

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I beat you in dragon's lair but sassy beat me at UT. I'll play you seriouislies at Dragon's lair again this Monday if you want to do that.

Last edited:

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
Alright so I need to get this off my chest, and on this thread is the best place to say this:

I get pissed off when I lose to someone who goes on to lose to SaSSy. Not to say SaSSy is a worse R.O.B. than I (he definitely isn't; he plays way more carefully and performs better as a result), but every time I talk to SaSSy he holds me in the highest regard. We deeply respect each other. So when I lose to someone 2-0 or 3-0 and then SaSSy beats them similarly, I feel the need to prove myself in a rematch that probably won't ever happen in a tournament setting, and that I've let everyone down by underperforming. What's worse is that whenever I do lose, I feel like a paper tiger and that my opponent doesn't respect me or loses respect for me, and I express my frustration by getting the **** out of the venue as quickly as possible. I left AiRF2 after being eliminated by Donkey (Danke? Donke?) because I was so pissed off for not reacting properly to Monkey Flip spam, and I was very close to leaving the tournament in San Marcos after being eliminated by Savage.

School and a nagging parent prevent me from attending tournaments (I'm 21, but get treated like I'm 12) or free play sessions a lot of the time. Starting April 19th however I should be 100% free to play whenever and wherever I please.

**** man.
Remember that it's a game and that the point of the game is to have fun. If you want to place higher with your ROB, just camp harder.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
bnk - first of all i wanna say i have a hypercompetitive mindset, so i understand what you go through. but i really think the bottom line is that it's a game we all enjoy, so i try to be as positive as possible.

if you lose to someone that Sassy defeats, then you know that winning is possible if you change certain things. victory IS within your grasp.

respect... i don't know where to go with respect. to me, someone disrespects me in a game, then dang - they got me. if it gets outside of that, it's either for fun, or something is seriously wrong. in either case, i think you shouldn't take respect and games too seriously - just know that you have people who do respect you that matter much more to your daily life.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos

**** man.
Yo, that's everyone! I feel the exact same way every time I enter singles. I feel like my ability in doubles should transfer but it doesn't and I get salty every time I scrub out and go 0-2.

I mean different people have different ways of handling the salt but try not to let destroy you (or your controller like some people)

:gova:

edit: as for the respect thing, you just gotta shrug if off, at ARFI2, someone was trash talking me behind my back (don't know who it was) but I remember verbatim what he said, "How is Gova in winner finals? I played him last month and he's not even good", man that really hurt me lol but thanks for @ BloodyBoom BloodyBoom keeping my spirits up.

edit2: also we should totally have a smash fest since it's spring break!

Last edited:
Top Bottom