• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The 20XX Melee Training Hack Pack (v5.0.2 - 1/20/2023)

jdub

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I'm having trouble with the hack. Hopefully someone can help me.

The game loads and runs really smoothly, however sometimes when a certain character does an attack the game crawls to maybe a frame every 3 seconds or so. Some attacks that do this are Captain Falcon's up-b and Kirby's neutral-b. Falco's lazer causes the game to stop. The stage music continues to play while the characters are lagging. As soon as the attack is over the game resumes as smooth as butter. However, when I force the game to play with only one character, there is no lag on any attack, and the game runs as it's supposed to.

I'm pretty sure I've done everything correctly, and I've tried recompiling the iso multiple times and used different SD cards and USB drives, all with the same results. I've confirmed that my iso is 1.02 and I've formatted my SD card to 32 kb. I have tried a 2gb flash drive, 16gb flash drive, and 16gb class 10 SD card, rated at 30 mb/s.

Running 2.07 preview (2.06 freezes after character select for me) using Nintendont.

Any help?

CeLL

Smash Lord
I am successfully running this on an 8gb flash drive. However, I copied the contents of my flash drive to another 8gb flash drive (same brand even) and switched it with the original in my Wii, and when I load Dios Mios, it doesn't show any games to load. It's not really a problem, but does anyone know why this is?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Hey guys I'm having trouble with the hack. Hopefully someone can help me.

The game loads and runs really smoothly, however sometimes when a certain character does an attack the game crawls to maybe a frame every 3 seconds or so. Some attacks that do this are Captain Falcon's up-b and Kirby's neutral-b. Falco's lazer causes the game to stop. The stage music continues to play while the characters are lagging. As soon as the attack is over the game resumes as smooth as butter. However, when I force the game to play with only one character, there is no lag on any attack, and the game runs as it's supposed to.

I'm pretty sure I've done everything correctly, and I've tried recompiling the iso multiple times and used different SD cards and USB drives, all with the same results. I've confirmed that my iso is 1.02 and I've formatted my SD card to 32 kb. I have tried a 2gb flash drive, 16gb flash drive, and 16gb class 10 SD card, rated at 30 mb/s.

Running 2.07 preview (2.06 freezes after character select for me) using Nintendont.

Any help?
Download the 2.07 pretest - 6 from page 28. It will fix it. Sorry.

Last edited:

Doq

Smash Lord
nintendont stuff
I don't even know how to explain this, as I use Nintendont myself no problem. 4 chars FoD ftw. All I can say is to make sure you're using the latest ND compile and using a compatible card. Mine is a class 2 16gb (sux, but it works. That is, until I boot Kirby Air Ride).

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 this pack is awesome man! I love it. A few questions for ya.

Why did you opt for flash red on missed L-cancel instead of flash white on successful? Just curious.

Can you put a changes list on the pretest release?

What are your plans for the future?

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Btw,
don't you get "Game Timer to become a Consecutive Hit Counter for All Players" into 20XX?
I think that's soooooooooooo awesome mod.

If it would be toggled in the debug menu, it would be awesome.
I plan on getting it in there. There was a time where I started writing the ASM code for it, but stopped because @Todd Bonney was working on it, from what I understood. Did you ever finish (or start) that code, Todd?

Also i've got a bugreport about the random techs that the computer do. If you don't let the computer do his shine after teching, then he will tech extremely predictably (notably they miss tech a lot)

I can't quite put my finger on it but it doesn't feel quite right
This should be fixed in the newest 20XX 2.07 - Pretest 6.dol

Since the crazy mod got brought up I'd love to see some of the features from the crazy mod debug mode added to the 20xx pack, I just moved from crazy mod to this and I miss some of it. The doppleganger toggles, playing lagfest matches with 30 copies of every character on screen was a blast, especially when using the Ice Climbers AI for them made it possible to have a pair of game breaking Captian Falcon Climbers and stuff like that. The player flags were also a ton of fun to mess with.
I never fully looked into the crazy mod stuff until a few days ago. Some of those things do sound interesting. I actually messed around with the clone partners code a little bit ago, and experimented with turning them into Nana AI. It was cool, but I'm not too interested in it unless the clone CPUs could respawn after death. Maybe it's possible to implement, idk.
I am successfully running this on an 8gb flash drive. However, I copied the contents of my flash drive to another 8gb flash drive (same brand even) and switched it with the original in my Wii, and when I load Dios Mios, it doesn't show any games to load. It's not really a problem, but does anyone know why this is?
This happened with one of my SD cards and I never found a solution. It happened to me with Dios Mios Booter, so then I just switched to CFG Loader to run the ISO and it was then recognized. Never found a solution for Dios Mios Booter, though.

Hey achilles, I know filesize might be an issue, but have you ever thought about putting this into the 20XX pack? Because, y'know...

...dat ain't falco.
Ha, what is it exactly? The Wombo Combo (combo or entire match?) instead of the 15 minute movie [audio & video]?

@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 this pack is awesome man! I love it. A few questions for ya.

Why did you opt for flash red on missed L-cancel instead of flash white on successful? Just curious.

Can you put a changes list on the pretest release?

What are your plans for the future?
Regarding the flash on no L-cancel, this pretty sums it up.

I'm really hoping to finish 2.07 this weekend so I'm just going to not worry about the changelist right now. But you can go through the posts to see the changes.

Plans for future: PAL characters, bomb rain minigame, remaking the P2 action stuff and adding to it (while also making the CPUs play more intelligently). I'm REALLY itching to start working on some CPU AI but I just need to finish all the other stuff before that.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So I was just doing some testing...is anyone getting random freezes on FD (or any other stage)? When just playing normally, not inputting a code or anything.

I'm having a hard time reproducing it, though. Which doesn't bode well for debugging....

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
Regarding the flash on no L-cancel, this pretty sums it up.

I'm really hoping to finish 2.07 this weekend so I'm just going to not worry about the changelist right now. But you can go through the posts to see the changes.

Plans for future: PAL characters, bomb rain minigame, remaking the P2 action stuff and adding to it (while also making the CPUs play more intelligently). I'm REALLY itching to start working on some CPU AI but I just need to finish all the other stuff before that.
Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to answer so quickly. I appreciate the hack pack, its awesome.

Last edited:

hectohertz

Smash Ace
hmm this melee crazy mod thing is really interesting. i wanna play around with it.

is it using a custom save file to get code execution in melee? ifso, what's the vector? i know save files have led to code execution before plenty of time (epona hack, indiana pwns, stack smash)

CeLL

Smash Lord
This happened with one of my SD cards and I never found a solution. It happened to me with Dios Mios Booter, so then I just switched to CFG Loader to run the ISO and it was then recognized. Never found a solution for Dios Mios Booter, though.
Hmm. I want to get a new one just for this (I use the only flash drive I have that works for this for other things, too) and I don't want it to arrive, load the files on it, and have it not work. Can you link the CFG, so if it doesn't work I can just use that?

ιota [UPSB]

Smash Cadet
So I've been working with music hacking lately, and encountered a strange issue that may be related to the 20XX pack, or may not, maybe you can provide some insight @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 ?

For some reason, I cannot ever get the alternate stage music to play on a number of stages (Battlefield, Stadium, FD, etc...so far I could only get it to work on Great Bay). It should come up around 12% of the time on its own, but this never occurs, and I also cannot force it to be alternate music which should happen by holding L or R when selecting it (also, this works for Great Bay only, strangely...)

Moreover, from what I can tell, it's not actually possible to get the alternate music or to get random music to work when one force loads to a stage with just a single player (i.e. in solo play, even if random music is set on, I never get random music unless I turn on a computer or another human player). I've tried testing a number of things to get the alternate music to force load properly, or appear on its own as it should, but can't seem to make it happen...any idea why?

My eventual goal is to replace all or nearly all tracks with my own music, so that I can use random music to have a 30+ shuffled playlist of songs, but at the moment, I would basically just like to have the choice of two songs for most stages like Battlefield and FD, and to use the alternate music force load to select between the regular and alternate tracks which I've replaced with my own music, which is why I'd like to figure this out. Also, it would be nice to have the random music work for solo play when I choose to enable it, don't know why it doesn't work in that case x_x''

EDIT: Also, I know this has been asked before, but I don't recall that you've answered it yet, so if you eventually get a chance to, would you be willing/able to provide the address which sets the default Sounds/Music sfx balance? While I appreciate the current default setting in the 20XX pack, especially for purposes of tournament/serious play, when I replace music with my own it ends up generally being a little quieter than many of the regular stage music tracks, so I would rather adjust the in-game setting to 50:50 (the regular default I believe?) to account for this, rather than gain the tracks to force them to be louder and cause clipping :X

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
So I've been working with music hacking lately, and encountered a strange issue that may be related to the 20XX pack, or may not, maybe you can provide some insight @ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 ?

For some reason, I cannot ever get the alternate stage music to play on a number of stages (Battlefield, Stadium, FD, etc...so far I could only get it to work on Great Bay). It should come up around 12% of the time on its own, but this never occurs, and I also cannot force it to be alternate music which should happen by holding L or R when selecting it (also, this works for Great Bay only, strangely...)

Moreover, from what I can tell, it's not actually possible to get the alternate music or to get random music to work when one force loads to a stage with just a single player (i.e. in solo play, even if random music is set on, I never get random music unless I turn on a computer or another human player). I've tried testing a number of things to get the alternate music to force load properly, or appear on its own as it should, but can't seem to make it happen...any idea why?

My eventual goal is to replace all or nearly all tracks with my own music, so that I can use random music to have a 30+ shuffled playlist of songs, but at the moment, I would basically just like to have the choice of two songs for most stages like Battlefield and FD, and to use the alternate music force load to select between the regular and alternate tracks which I've replaced with my own music, which is why I'd like to figure this out. Also, it would be nice to have the random music work for solo play when I choose to enable it, don't know why it doesn't work in that case x_x''

EDIT: Also, I know this has been asked before, but I don't recall that you've answered it yet, so if you eventually get a chance to, would you be willing/able to provide the address which sets the default Sounds/Music sfx balance? While I appreciate the current default setting in the 20XX pack, especially for purposes of tournament/serious play, when I replace music with my own it ends up generally being a little quieter than many of the regular stage music tracks, so I would rather adjust the in-game setting to 50:50 (the regular default I believe?) to account for this, rather than gain the tracks to force them to be louder and cause clipping :X
I'm changing SFX balance back to default in the next version. The offset for it in the DOL is 0x003d1a74. Change from 3C to 00.

(Sound Balance)
00 - Regular Balance (Default)
64 - Maximum SFX Balance (No Music)
9C - Maximum Music Balance (No SFX)

As for the music, @Sham Rock is the real guy you'd want to talk to. I'm not sure if skipping the random music while playing solo matches is tied into some conditional he made in the code, or if the music ID is loaded from a different line than the one it currently injects at. My guess is one of those. You could use breakpoints at the injection point to see what's going on and if that line even gets executed while loading a solo match. If it does, then do a memory write breakpoint to that music byte location is normally stored.

RAM injection: 0x38b6dc
or in DOL: 0x3882bc

Sham Rock's code (DOL offsets in 20XX):
Start - 20d0
End - 2133

Music ID table starts at 2134 and ends at 215f.

I briefly stepped through the code. In the DOL, try overwriting the value 2C14002 at 0x20f0 in the DOL, with 48000008. That should skip the section of code that, I believe, does not randomize menu music. See if that fixes the solo match problem.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Achilles, is it possible for colors to include a flash on autocancel?

Also if you can run code off mem card that would be insane :)

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Achilles, is it possible for colors to include a flash on autocancel?

Also if you can run code off mem card that would be insane :)
It would be, assuming the game differentiates an auto cancel from an l-cancel. Do you know of a memory address that changes to a unique value when auto-cancelling a move?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Extended name tags do not work with Japanese characters.
Which is annoying when you want the Japanese form of "Jigglypuff Master"
Just attempted and it works for me. Just make sure the nametag you are saving onto (first four characters) is 4 characters long. If you have a space in the name tag, make sure to select the little empty character slot on the English page as the space.

Doq

Smash Lord
lolnotyet
also
Just attempted and it works for me. Just make sure the nametag you are saving onto (first four characters) is 4 characters long. If you have a space in the name tag, make sure to select the little empty character slot on the English page as the space.
Got it to work. Forgot I had to physically select the name.

Last edited:

Acryte

Smash Ace
It would be, assuming the game differentiates an auto cancel from an l-cancel. Do you know of a memory address that changes to a unique value when auto-cancelling a move?
Auto cancel is different, you'll notice that when you autocancel at the beginning or end of a move you won't flash red from the landing. You just get normal landing lag. Easiest move to test with is Yoshi's dair for the beginning and stuff like falcon or fox bairs etc for the end of a move. They'll land and it won't flash if you get it correctly. The difference though it that you'll have the normal 4 frames landing lag instead of half the normal lag, so it might be worth differentiating when you chopped off those frames.

But no I don't know the specific address. I have a Gecko but I don't know much about assembly or anything so I haven't done much with it.

Last edited:

hectohertz

Smash Ace
Auto cancel is different, you'll notice that when you autocancel at the beginning or end of a move you won't flash red from the landing. You just get normal landing lag. Easiest move to test with is Yoshi's dair for the beginning and stuff like falcon or fox bairs etc for the end of a move. They'll land and it won't flash if you get it correctly. The difference though it that you'll have the normal 4 frames landing lag instead of half the normal lag, so it might be worth differentiating when you chopped off those frames.

But no I don't know the specific address. I have a Gecko but I don't know much about assembly or anything so I haven't done much with it.
my guess is this will be difficult, since there's no autocancel animation (autocancelling is just your normal landing animation). easiest way i can think of to do it would be to have your landing animation be colored. sure you'd flash on empty landing, but thats not the worst thing

Achilles1515

Smash Master
**New Version Release**

20XX 2.07 File Replacements.zip

~Changes since version 2.06~

GENERAL
  • Boot to Character Select Screen is back!
    • Memory card data is loaded upon boot, as well.
  • Memory Card compatibility with Debug Menu toggles.
    • Debug Menu toggles (and hacked stages ON/OFF) are saved to the Memory Card once the Debug Menu is exited.
    • Widescreen Mode is the only code that, upon boot, requires you to go back to the Start Screen to enable.
  • Stock Dependent Platform Colors has been added.
    • Permanent addition. No toggle for it or anything.
  • Fourside (Smashville hack) has been added to the Random Stage Select after toggling on Hacked Stages (D-Pad Down at CSS).
  • SFX/Music volume level has been reverted back to the default value of 50/50.
GRAPHICS CHANGES
  • New Banner for Emulators
  • 20XX Closed Character Ports.
  • Stage Select Screen has weird background textures removed.
  • Dreamland 64 has “Smashboards” and “Twitch TV” logos in the background.
    • Experimenting.

IN-GAME TOGGLES

• D-Pad Up (taunt) in Training Mode ONLY freezes the CPU's percent.
    • The CPU will constantly be at the set percent, even after getting hit.
    • Pressing D-Pad Up again unfreezes the percent.

DEBUG MENU

Slightly new look.

• 20XX version number at top.
    • Unused lines have blank names.

• RAINBOW FD
    • When playing on Final Destination, the stage will dynamically change colors in rainbow fashion.
    • 1 = OFF, 2 = ON (default)

(Sorry for the crappy gif, but I think you get the point. It looks beautiful in-game.)​

• ENDLESS FRIENDLIES
    • Much credit to @Sham Rock
    • After a match ends, another one will immediately load with a random stage, chosen from the stages currently on the random stage toggle.
    • Ragequit to get back to the Character Select Screen.
    • Salty Runback still works when using this mode.
    • 1 = OFF (default), 2 = ON
    • Note: I have experienced a "black screen glitch" when attempting to load a stage with this code. It seems to only happen after you exit to the CSS and then play another match. After that match ends is when it happens...but more often than not does the stage load normally. I'm working to figure out the source of this problem.

• DUAL 1V1
[COLLAPSE="Dual 1v1 Mode Notes"]

Dual 1v1

From Zauron (Original Code Creator):

This code allows simultaneous 1v1 matches to be played. All 4 players can play at once, but each "set" of 1v1 players can't directly interfere with the other fight (beyond things like messing with the camera, edge hogging, or "nudging" players).

To use:
  1. Turn Friendly Fire to OFF.
  2. Switch to Team mode and set the team colors so that each set of players that should fight each other are the same color.Players will only be able to hurt other players set to the same team color.
  3. (Optional) Switch Team mode back off so players can switch to whatever costume they want.
  4. Start the match
Debug Menu Toggle:

1 = Everything is totally normal and friendly fire being OFF acts the same as it would in vanilla.
2 = Dual 1v1 ON.
  • The moment both set of 1v1's ends, the in-game friendly fire value is switched so that those winners can attack each other and finish out the match.
3 [default] = Dual 1v1 ON.
  • The moment both set of 1v1's ends:
    • The in-game friendly fire value is switched so that those winners can attack each other and finish out the match.
    • The winner's from each 1v1 will have their percents reset to 0 and stocks set to 2. So they get to play a little "mini-match".
Important Note:
Even if Dual 1v1 is ON, normal competitive 2v2 matches (with friendly fire ON) are completely unaffected and can be played normally without turning Dual 1v1 OFF [1] in the Debug Menu. So Dual 1v1 only comes into play if:

a) the debug toggle for it is ON
b) the match is started with friendly fire OFF
[/COLLAPSE]

• COLORS - Now includes another feature:

BUG FIXES
  • Problems caused with P2 CPU (spacies) getting "stuck" in performing a teching action should be fixed.
  • P2 “phantom” joystick holding directions at menus should be [mostly] fixed. If you experience it again, continuously hit B until you reach the Start Screen, and after hitting start, the problem should be fixed.
-----------------------------------------------------

Let me know if you experience any bugs!

Someone noted to me that their 2.06 would randomly freeze on FD and that they "fixed" the problem by not having a player in the P1 slot. I can't find a way to consistently replicate it - let me know if you have any info about this.

Last edited:

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
**New Version Release**

20XX 2.07 File Replacements.zip

~Changes since version 2.06~

GENERAL
  • Boot to Character Select Screen is back!
    • Memory card data is loaded upon boot, as well.
  • Memory Card compatibility with Debug Menu toggles.
    • Debug Menu toggles (and hacked stages ON/OFF) are saved to the Memory Card once the Debug Menu is exited.
    • Widescreen Mode is the only code that, upon boot, requires you to go back to the Start Screen to enable.
  • Stock Dependent Platform Colors has been added.
    • Permanent addition. No toggle for it or anything.
  • Fourside (Smashville hack) has been added to the Random Stage Select after toggling on Hacked Stages (D-Pad Down at CSS).
  • SFX/Music volume level has been reverted back to the default value of 50/50.
GRAPHICS CHANGES
  • New Banner for Emulators
  • 20XX Closed Character Ports.
  • Stage Select Screen has weird background textures removed.
  • Dreamland 64 has “Smashboards” and “Twitch TV” logos in the background.
    • Experimenting.

IN-GAME TOGGLES

• D-Pad Up (taunt) in Training Mode ONLY freezes the CPU's percent.
    • The CPU will constantly be at the set percent, even after getting hit.
    • Pressing D-Pad Up again unfreezes the percent.

DEBUG MENU

Slightly new look.

• 20XX version number at top.
    • Unused lines have blank names.

• RAINBOW FD
    • When playing on Final Destination, the stage will dynamically change colors in rainbow fashion.

(Sorry for the crappy gif, but I think you get the point. It looks beautiful in-game.)​

• ENDLESS FRIENDLIES
    • Much credit to @Sham Rock
    • After a match ends, another one will immediately load with a random stage, chosen from the stages currently on the random stage toggle.
    • Ragequit to get back to the Character Select Screen.
    • Salty Runback still works when using this mode.
    • Note: I have experienced a "black screen glitch" when attempting to load a stage with this code. It seems to only happen after you exit to the CSS and then play another match. After that match ends is when it happens...but more often than not does the stage load normally. I'm working to figure out the source of this problem.

• DUAL 1V1
[COLLAPSE="Dual 1v1 Mode Notes"]

Dual 1v1

From Zauron (Original Code Creator):

This code allows simultaneous 1v1 matches to be played. All 4 players can play at once, but each "set" of 1v1 players can't directly interfere with the other fight (beyond things like messing with the camera, edge hogging, or "nudging" players).

To use:
  1. Turn Friendly Fire to OFF.
  2. Switch to Team mode and set the team colors so that each set of players that should fight each other are the same color.Players will only be able to hurt other players set to the same team color.
  3. (Optional) Switch Team mode back off so players can switch to whatever costume they want.
  4. Start the match
Debug Menu Toggle:

1 = Everything is totally normal and friendly fire being OFF acts the same as it would in vanilla.
2 = Dual 1v1 ON.
  • The moment both set of 1v1's ends, the in-game friendly fire value is switched so that those winners can attack each other and finish out the match.
3 [default] = Dual 1v1 ON.
  • The moment both set of 1v1's ends:
    • The in-game friendly fire value is switched so that those winners can attack each other and finish out the match.
    • The winner's from each 1v1 will have their percents reset to 0 and stocks set to 2. So they get to play a little "mini-match".
Important Note:
Even if Dual 1v1 is ON, normal competitive 2v2 matches (with friendly fire ON) are completely unaffected and can be played normally without turning Dual 1v1 OFF [1] in the Debug Menu. So Dual 1v1 only comes into play if:

a) the debug toggle for it is ON
b) the match is started with friendly fire OFF
[/COLLAPSE]

• COLORS - Now includes another feature:

BUG FIXES
  • Problems caused with P2 CPU (spacies) getting "stuck" in performing a teching action should be fixed.
  • P2 “phantom” joystick holding directions at menus should be [mostly] fixed. If you experience it again, continuously hit B until you reach the Start Screen, and after hitting start, the problem should be fixed.
-----------------------------------------------------

Let me know if you experience any bugs!

Someone noted to me that their 2.06 would randomly freeze on FD and that they "fixed" the problem by not having a player in the P1 slot. I can't find a way to consistently replicate it - let me know if you have any info about this.
Awesome man! Nice job, I'll try it out right away.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Endless friendlies is amazing!
Just to make sure, having set to 2 on debug mode turns it on right? Default is at 3 which I believe is off and I don't remember what 1 does.

Sometimes however, when it's supposed to choose a stage, it will just get stuck in the black screen and you have to reset the wii to get out of it.

Also, I noticed that it doesn't load the pokemon (no transformations) stage correctly and just loads Mushroom Kingdom I.

Other than that this feature is godsend, or should I say achilles-send ^^.
It should load Pokemon now.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽/ RAINBOW FD HYPE ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽/

on another note, achilles you must show me how to modify the debug menu :o
asciitohex.com and then go to the area around offset 0x3fa7f4 in the DOL. Have your hex editor display ASCII as well.
hex.PNG

The "20"s are spaces which are overwriting words in the areas that are now blank.

Last edited:

uCooL

Smash Ace
NNID
SuperMurio
@ Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Just wanted to let you know I went through classic and adventure mode on 2.07 with no problem!

I was using Luigi both on both in 2.07.

When I reported issues on single player in 2.06 I was using Roy.

Top Bottom