• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Teleport Canceling Guide

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
:4mewtwo:.:.:TELEPORT CANCELING:.:.:4mewtwo:

Teleport canceling is a pretty underused technique which i think has many applications if mastered so i thought it would be a good idea to make a thread to inform people who don't know about it and be able to discuss the uses for the technique!

.:.:What is Teleport Canceling?:.:.

Teleport is quite a cool move, but unfortunately it puts Mewtwo into freefall in the air and has quite a bit of endlag when used to land on the ground which limits the applications of the move since you can usually be punished when you use it.

However, the technique called Teleport Canceling allows Mewtwo to do his Teleport with minimal ending lag and act freely out of it afterwards!

With this you can move Mewtwo in surprising ways, especially on platform stages. Here's an example:

.:.:How do you do a Teleport Cancel then?:.:.

To do a Teleport Cancel, you simply teleport from a certain length/angle towards the ground exactly where a ledge starts.
What technically happens then is that you land on the ground near the ledge, but then the momentum of the teleport makes you slide off the ledge which cancels the lag animation of the Teleport.

The easiest way to learn the distance where it will cancel is going to Battlefield and teleporting to the edge from one of these spots near the outer part of the center circle:

Mewtwo spot demonstration small with arrow.jpg

As long as Mewtwo has both his feet within the red box i outlined he will do a Teleport Cancel successfully!

Luckily there are more spots like these on the stages which i will show more of.

There are also 2 ways to do a Teleport Cancel which is grounded and aerial. Grounded is the easiest one which i showed above, while the aerial version is a bit harder to do since it can be done from many angles and positions in the air but is very useful on platform stages.

When you master Teleport Cancel you can pull off tricky movements like this:

This technique is easy to learn but requires a lot of practice to be able to do perfectly!

.:.:Teleport Spots:.:.

There are many angles you can do a Teleport Cancel from, but like i said there are specific spots on each stage that you can remember which will make it easy to do. I will also show you the aerial teleport positions, though it's very difficult to do exact locations in the air so these are not super exact. First:

.:.:Battlefield:.:.
Grounded Teleport Spots

Mewtwo grounded teleport spots FINAL.jpg

RED BOXES: These are the grounded positions that are easiest and safest to do a teleport cancel from and that is used most commonly.

On the top platform you need to stand close to the edge for the teleport cancel to work.

PURPLE BOXES: On these spots it is possible to do a Teleport cancel off the ledge, but unlike in the red boxes you need to angle the teleport in a precise way for it to work which is very difficult so i don't reccomend you try this very often since there usually are better options (ie don't try these in a tournament match :p )

ORANGE BOXES: Here you need to do a Teleport straight down facing the ledge to be able to do a teleport cancel, since a normal teleport cancel will send you flying off the ledge and go into freefall.

Why this works is because Mewtwo travels in a L shape when he teleports towards the ground from certain heights, and that allows him to Teleport cancel from spots that would otherwise not have been possible, or they become much easier to teleport cancel from. I like to call it a L-Teleport because of this!

Here is a example of a L-Teleport and then a normal teleport from the orange spot:

Those were the grounded teleport spots, now let's look at the aerial ones.

.:.:Battlefield:.:.
Aerial Teleport Spots

Teleportairpurple.jpg

Look at how many spots Mewtwo can teleport cancel from in the air here! It looks like much to take in, but it's actually very easy to learn if you focus on one color at a time. Unlike the grounded ones these are not super exact, but more a rough outline of where the spots are.

(WARNING:I did not include the Orange boxes for the ledges, but will add soon and explain a bit better how they work)

YELLOW BOXES: From all the yellow spots you can Teleport cancel on to the left/right platforms they are aligned around.

BLACK BOXES: Same function as yellow, but the black spots cancels on the top platform. Just to make it easier to see the difference.

BLUE BOXES: From these spots you can teleport cancel to the respective ledge they are aligned around. On the higher spots you need to watch out so you don't teleport into the platform though so they are easiest to teleport from when jumping from below.

ORANGE BOXES: These are the aerial versions of the L-Teleport spots like in the grounded spots picture. Some of these you can do a normal teleport from too, but it's often simpler to just teleport down when you are in these positions.

The arrows show you which direction you need to be facing when you are teleporting down, and where there's no arrow either left or right works. Some of these also works a little higher up so experiment a bit to find the right spot.

Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 Has made a video showing off some of the spots you can teleport from on Battlefield in a video so check it out if you're having trouble with the technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCDiqpr7AFc

I will update this thread with more teleport spots for different stages and other stuff at a later point in time.

In the meantime, this can be a place for discussion on different ways to apply the technique into Mewtwo's gameplay, so share your ideas!

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Reserved just in case. :150:

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Awesome! This guide is looking great. I tried to do something like this in the Metagame thread put I don't have an easy way to get videos or photos annoyingly, but thanks for doing this!

Also, you do know that this is generally called ledge-Cancelling (LC) right?

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
This looks great, and I greatly appreciate this as I hadn't even know that this existed. Time to go master this!

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Awesome! This guide is looking great. I tried to do something like this in the Metagame thread put I don't have an easy way to get videos or photos annoyingly, but thanks for doing this!

Also, you do know that this is generally called ledge-Cancelling (LC) right?
Thanks! I saw that you had something about this technique in the Metagame thread, but there is alot to write about so i thought a separate thread was a good idea.

And Yeah i think i have seen the term Ledge Canceling thrown around, but i personally think Teleport Canceling is a better name since it's more descriptive, and i have seen Zelda/Palutena players say Teleport/Warp Canceling :p I might change it though if LC is the common term people use.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Thanks! I saw that you had something about this technique in the Metagame thread, but there is alot to write about so i thought a separate thread was a good idea.

And Yeah i think i have seen the term Ledge Canceling thrown around, but i personally think Teleport Canceling is a better name since it's more descriptive, and i have seen Zelda/Palutena players say Teleport/Warp Canceling :p I might change it though if LC is the common term people use.
It is mainly used with Pikachu, and now that I think about it, Palutena players do call it warp cancelling. In that case, it doesn't matter, plus, teleport cancelling sounds better and describes the tech more. Great guide!

Is it okay if I post a link to it in the Metagame thread and the community guide?

Rhus

We're going top speed!
This is so nice. I really think this is a key technique to higher level Mewtwo play.

I messed around with this on Battlefield a lot awhile back but perfecting it is challenging.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 Sure, post a link there! :)

Rhus Rhus Yeah i definitely think this is an important aspect of mastering Mewtwo's movement. Zelda/Palutena players often talk about how good Teleport Canceling is, but i think it has even more interesting applications for Mewtwo since you can do it from alot shorter distance and more spots on the map.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 Sure, post a link there! :)

Rhus Rhus Yeah i definitely think this is an important aspect of mastering Mewtwo's movement. Zelda/Palutena players often talk about how good Teleport Canceling is, but i think it has even more interesting applications for Mewtwo since you can do it from alot shorter distance and more spots on the map.
Also, Mewtwo has faster start-up and more end-lag, while Palutena has the opposite. Making it even more beneficial.

elitegrovyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
elitegrove
3DS FC
4828-5721-3535
You could probably add a separate image that is right under the image with aerial teleport cancelling if you think it would be to cluttered and maybe a side by side comparison if you can

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
You could probably add a separate image that is right under the image with aerial teleport cancelling if you think it would be to cluttered and maybe a side by side comparison if you can
That is a pretty good idea! Will start looking at it later today.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Oh wow. O_O
I need to fight on platform stages MUCH more often.

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
i know if you stand a close the enter of the stage and aim the teleport towards the ledge your closest to, you can immdieatly go for a bair of a fair

elitegrovyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
elitegrove
3DS FC
4828-5721-3535
i know if you stand a close the enter of the stage and aim the teleport towards the ledge your closest to, you can immdieatly go for a bair of a fair
Can you make your post more legible to read as this information sounds like it can be good to have

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
Can you make your post more legible to read as this information sounds like it can be good to have
I dont think what i wrote was that unclear. simply stand close to the center of the stage and teleport facing down towards the ledge. then simply bair or fair as a punish to someone off stage.

elitegrovyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
elitegrove
3DS FC
4828-5721-3535
I didn't understand what you meant by "a close the enter" and I assumed you meant to put "as close to the center" if that helps you to understand what I meant so sorry for the inconvenience

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I have such a hard time with this. I feel like the risk of overshooting a ledge is really high, considering the rewards. But I'm going to keep working at it nonetheless!

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
This is a much more in depth tutorial than my teleport cancel trump video. Very good stuff here my friend!

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
This is a much more in depth tutorial than my teleport cancel trump video. Very good stuff here my friend!
Cool that you liked it! I really liked your Teleport Cancel Trump video, it was actually after i watched that that i decided to explore the technique further so thanks for making it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom