• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"TAS Tier List" - Perfect Technical Play

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Simple question - how would the tier list change if there were no technical limitations to play? That is, everyone could have perfect DI, perfect shine canceling, DJC, parry, drop-canceling, pivot ledge-hog, etc. Anything that is normally difficult to do can now be done on command. (Of course, the player must still incorporate mindgames in choosing how these techniques are incorporated.)

Combo DI
The biggest factor here is DI. I think perfect DI would decrease the ranking of players like Falcon, since his upair -> upB combos can be escaped more easily. For a similar reason, Samus might increase, since being able to DI against Samus isn't as advantageous anyways.

Recovery / Ledge DI
Characters that recover from below would have tan easier time doing so due to perfect reverse ledge DI. This would help characters like Ness, though it would also favor a much more aggressive edgeguarding style against the recovering character.

DJC / Parrying
I think characters like Ness and Yoshi would be improved if they could perfectly DJC to attack more quickly, improve spacing, clank with opponents' attacks, etc. Yoshi being able to parry every attack and use super armor more effectively would be a pretty big improvement.

General Speed
If everyone can jump on the first frame they hit the ground and start an aerial on the very next frame, the importance of aerials/attacks that have minimal start-up lag increases. This also applies when defensively clanking with attacks. In a similar vein, the drawbacks of having a lot of ending lag are negated if the opponent can DI far enough away that you wouldn't be able to follow up regardless. I see Kirby, Ness and Samus potentially getting a boost here.

Other
Samus jab to dair. Pikachu double vertical upB. Ledge canceling. Drop canceling. Fox shine canceling. Reverse Bair. There are plenty of aspects of the game that would be affected.

My thoughts are that the biggest gainers would be Ness, Yoshi, and Fox. Biggest losers might be Falcon, Jiggly, Mario and Luigi (combos that are more affected by DI). What does everyone else think?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I think falcon and kirby would benefit A LOT, due to the fact that they might be the only 2 characters whose combo's still have a chance of working against perfect DI. Yes their combo's would be less likely to kill, but a lot of characters would lose the ability to combo altogether. So while their combo game would get worse, everyone else's would get even worse, giving them even more of an advantage.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Interesting. I don't think any combo is possible with perfect DI. A Fox taking a Kirby's utilt from 0% while being juxtaposed doesn't combo into another utilt...

Maybe Yoshi would benefit the most with his parry and perfect DJC.

Anyway, it doesn't make much sense since perfect spacing is not possible, otherwise nobody touches nobody.

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, it doesn't make much sense since perfect spacing is not possible, otherwise nobody touches nobody.
Perfect tech skill shouldn't imply perfect spacing. Mindgames, approach, spacing, situational awareness, strategy, knowledge of priority and hitboxes and attack lag (knowing which move to use when), baiting, etc all still come into play. A noob with perfect tech skill would still never beat Isai (probably even if Isai was just playing with his normal tech skill, in fact).

clubbadubba

Smash Master
in falcon dittos wouldn't you be able to get up to mid percent if you started with grab?

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
If this includes perfect reaction time, ness would have perfect dair tech chases, which aren't as susceptible to DI.

Also i think perfect djc rush would allow for longer fair/nair chains. Which would look cool as hell.

Battlecow

Play to Win
TAS smash would be dumb. Couldn't fox just like shine-clank with everything?

It'd be broken in some dumb way.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yoshi needs perfect reading to perfectly parry

But it's said they don't have perfect "mindgames"

Kind of paradoxical

You can always JV 6 stock with any character if you perfectly read your opponent and don't mess up execution anyways

asianaussie

Smash Hero
You can always JV 6 stock with any character if you perfectly read your opponent and don't mess up execution anyways
...you mean, like people do in TAS's? with any character?

:drfacepalm::drfacepalm::drfacepalm::drfacepalm::drfacepalm:

anyway fox for top tier due to camping, resistance to countercamping and essentially preventing your opponent from shielding up close due to guaranteed shine break to punish to recamp, shine also grants him good movement etc

honestly dont know where ness falls because he's still fairly linear in terms of approach

asianaussie

Smash Hero
just like how perfect fox could've baited that parry and then rushed in for a shine > techchase or shine > break or shine > something, blah blah

more importantly, perfect execution fox NEVER MISSES GRABS :surprised:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
perfect execution fox uses his perfect tech skill to dair drill perfect execution yoshi when he uses his perfect parry skills. Unfortunately perfect execution fox forgot that perfect execution yoshi also has perfect execution DI, so perfect execution yoshi DI's out of the drill and punishes perfect execution fox. Perfect execution fox also has perfect DI though, so the punishment is minimal and perhaps even counter punished, minimally. And so on and so forth until no one dies ever. And THAT is the why we should all ban keyboards, THE END

¨°PÞ-§°¨ Bane

Smash Apprentice
would yoshi even need perfect reading to do perfect parry? i thought we were going under the assumption that all chars have perfect reaction time

The Star King

Smash Hero
Do you mean, like, a reaction time of 1 frame or the highest possible human reaction time? With the latter you would still need reading yeah. With the former, that's humanly impossible but you can do that if you want I guess.

B Link

Smash Lord
I think Yoshi's parry counter would defeat any approach (unless you can mind game them somehow? Lol)

Well, except drills and grabs anyway

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Fox can shine faster than Yoshi can parry right? If that is the case, TAS Fox would be able to get in on TAS Yoshi pretty well if he can bait a parry by threatening an aerial and then going straight into shine spam.

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
Why don't 2 people just play a game on an emulator, both players using tas input plugin, in frame advance mode where both people get to pick their input before the next frame? My grandfather used to play chess by mail back in the day, i don't thinks this would be any more tedious.

¨°PÞ-§°¨ Bane

Smash Apprentice
bobby fischer got good by turning the board around and playing against himself rofl

isai should just vs himself in TAS

B Link

Smash Lord
Why don't 2 people just play a game on an emulator, both players using tas input plugin, in frame advance mode where both people get to pick their input before the next frame? My grandfather used to play chess by mail back in the day, i don't thinks this would be any more tedious.
If there are no re-dos allowed, then unfortunately you won't get consistently perfect shines, djcs etc. (Unless you're a pro TAS-er -- i.e. you've memorized all the frame counts for them O_O)

You need to be able to go backwards in frames when you mess up, if we're talking about doing perfect stuff.

Taking back moves in chess is only allowed against CPUS

Sangoku

Smash Master
Cmu's idea sounds fun, but it would still be too long. How many moves are there on average in a chess game? 50? That wouldn't make a second of an ssb match... And b link, to prevent that, a chart with all the moves could be usable for the players (for example, a shine is jump 3 frames, then down b, etc). Another problem would be that one does not recognizes an attack on its first frames, which makes the reaction time not perfect.

The problem with this whole debate is decision making which is not a matter of perfect execution. In a way, every move is a bad choice as there is a counter to it.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I would just do a falcon punch and see what happens. I could go watch a movie while my opponent makes his next million inputs

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
There's no need to assume that reaction time is perfect. Mis-reads and, say, tech-chasing the wrong way are still possible. I think the best way to think of "perfect tech skill" ("perfect execution" seems a bit misleading because it implies that no mistakes are possible) is that your brain is directly hooked up to the game and you are not limited by what a controller can do. So you you can parry successfully in much the same way that you would always flinch when someone throws a punch at you - you will never "miss" a parry that you intend to make but Fox can still bait you into parrying at an inopportune time.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Broken
Yoshi
Fox

Almost Broken/you wish you had a better shield
Ness

Barely ok/the other chars are broken, use them
Falcon
Pikachu
Mario
Kirby

Barely useful/somehow worse
Samus
DK
Link

Useless/Drills suck vs. good DI
Jiggs
Luigi

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I still think pikachu would be the best with perfect tech. Perfect DI makes fox/yoshi not that scary.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I still think pikachu would be the best with perfect tech. Perfect DI makes fox/yoshi not that scary.
Well the issue with Fox and Yoshi (and Ness somewhat) isn't their combo potential, it is more that they have perfect shines/parries/DJCs. You could use a shine to cancel an opponents move/parry a move with a perfect DJC/well parry or etc.

Top Bottom