• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Sonic Speed: Sensational Sonic Guides!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Smashboards moderator and Sonic main @ Camalange Camalange alongside users on the Sonic Boards have been putting some serious work into finding unique and useful tricks for Sonic in Smash for Wii U. All featured on Camalange's Youtube channel, these should seriously up the game of all Sonic mains. The newest of these is the Instant Spin Dash Jump, a technique that give Sonic even more mobility and movement options and could be very useful in a match.

Need more ways to fly across the stage at Sonic speeds? Well Camalange has it covered! Try learning how to Spinshot and use it in an upcoming match.

Don't play Sonic? Feeling left out by this article? Well there's still one more unique technique that works for every third party character in the game thus far! While not as potentially useful for the others as it is for Sonic, it can still be a fun way to surprise opponents and friends alike during a match.

Hopefully Sonic mains can use these to up their game even further! To keep up with any future videos from Camalange subscribe to his Youtube channel or follow him on Twitter.

SmashCapps found all of these videos very helpful and wants to try out what he saw! Follow him on Twitter to discuss these videos and keep up with all things Smash.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
Let's see how many posts it takes before someone complains about this character

I think this stuff is pretty cool though

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Thank you for posting this, and making the world realize that Sonic is best.

Soon Sonic mains will take over the world and make every player annoyed in the process.

For they are too slow. HA HA HA HA HA

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Mods making guides? Nice. Dang it, I now have Chemical Plant Zone stuck in my head. :facepalm:
As Sonic would say...

Last edited:

darkrailink1 (dl1)

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dl1
3DS FC
2509-2107-2647

Smashboards moderator and Sonic main @ Camalange Camalange alongside users on the Sonic Boards have been putting some serious work into finding unique and useful tricks for Sonic in Smash for Wii U. All featured on Camalange's Youtube channel, these should seriously up the game of all Sonic mains. The newest of these is the Instant Spin Dash Jump, a technique that give Sonic even more mobility and movement options and could be very useful in a match.

Need more ways to fly across the stage at Sonic speeds? Well Camalange has it covered! Try learning how to Spinshot and use it in an upcoming match.

Don't play Sonic? Feeling left out by this article? Well there's still one more unique technique that works for every third party character in the game thus far! While not as potentially useful for the others as it is for Sonic, it can still be a fun way to surprise opponents and friends alike during a match.

Hopefully Sonic mains can use these to up their game even further! To keep up with any future videos from Camalange subscribe to his Youtube channel or follow him on Twitter.

SmashCapps found all of these videos very helpful and wants to try out what he saw! Follow him on Twitter to discuss these videos and keep up with all things Smash.
i dont like how he shows the tecs he should show in came cube buttons :GCR::GCB:

cstonic

NNID
spindashupair
3DS FC
3711-8023-0131
Switch FC
SW-5972-4790-7111
Hopefully, more Sonic users see this. A lot of these techs have a ton of potential/are very useful!
Thanks Capps!

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
When I was trying out Sonic, those videos were very helpful although some of the guides on the Sonic boards have so many abbreviations it becomes rather overwhelming.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
Funny, the spinshot was 1 of the 1st Sonic techs I knew about returning and was 1 of the 1st moves I did when playing as Sonic in Smash4, it's alot easier to pull off compared to Brawl.

Instant Spin Dash Jump is pretty hard (especially if the player is using a 3DS).

The Spring Teleport glitch I never knew about and seems fun, I might try that out at some point.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Yo Capps, aren't these videos a bit old ?...
Anyway, now they have more visibility. Nice article !
Two are older, but I missed them when they came out. With the new video coming out I thought it had enough relevance to get them covered since they deserved it for sure :)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Thanks for the write-up SmashCapps! This is seriously dope. I'll be keeping up with the comments here and taking it all in... Thank you everyone for the support as well as the criticism. I'll process all the feedback and take it into consideration as I move forward with future videos as well as with the boards themselves.

And again, huge thanks to everyone at the Sonic boards. I love this community and these videos wouldn't be possible without all their hard work. It's difficult to credit everyone in these videos as some people discover certain aspects or find things on their own but I value everyone's time they put online as well as in-person at tournaments and I just aim to aggregate all the information and technology that I can about Sonic and make it accessible to everyone.

:093:

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Hum... Another easy to use character gets a guide... Welp, one step closer to something like a Peach in depth guide or something. Good stuff.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
This is what we get for laughing at Sonic in
Brawl. Sonic, Yoshi, Mario, Luigi, Sheik... all the former low tiers coming back with a vengeance.

Sonic Prower

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3609-1479-1886
I'm starting to like this game even more. I like the Third Party Warp tech. Will it be possible that Sonic will be better than Mario in terms of like the official tier list? I'd like to see that happen.

Last edited:

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
I'm starting to like this game even more. I like the Third Party Warp tech. Will it be possible that Sonic will be better than Mario in terms of like the official tier list? I'd like to see that happen.
People mostly already believe Sonic is top 5 while Mario is top 10. Sonic being top 5 is a stretch imo though, hes definitely top 10 though. (Also fairly sure he was over Mario in the US Brawl Tier List)

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Nice. I love posts like this. Meta development, especially character meta development, is always nice to see. Feels like we're actually going somewhere with this game. Kudos to the Sonic board for the advancements!

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
If you lose to side-b spam then that's kinda (as in entirely) your fault dude. Just sayin'
Online? No unless your character is almost as fast as Sonic. Offline? Yes it's totally their fault.

I would rather play roll happy Marios than standard FG Sonics. lol

This guide might make FG packed with English-y Sonics for a week. Better bring out my braindead Yoshi to troll.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

That damn hedgehog again, of all places !

Nice guide by the way.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
Online? No unless your character is almost as fast as Sonic. Offline? Yes it's totally their fault.

I would rather play roll happy Marios than standard FG Sonics. lol

This guide might make FG packed with English-y Sonics for a week. Better bring out my braindead Yoshi to troll.
Even online it's your fault. It's quite easy to dodge or block.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
i dont like how he shows the tecs he should show in came cube buttons :GCR::GCB:
It's definitely something I've considered, but I will take note of it again and keep it in mind for future videos.
When I was trying out Sonic, those videos were very helpful although some of the guides on the Sonic boards have so many abbreviations it becomes rather overwhelming.
Glad you enjoyed, and I apologize if the abbreviations were intimidating. In all honesty, you don't need to memorize them or anything, but it helps us aggregate and explain Sonic's moveset, as his spins alone go through so many states and phases that it's necessary for people to be as specific as possible. You can always ask questions in my FAQ thread or message me if necessary.
Nice. I love posts like this. Meta development, especially character meta development, is always nice to see. Feels like we're actually going somewhere with this game. Kudos to the Sonic board for the advancements!
Thank you! Really glad I could showcase our work this way. Appreciate the support.
Is it possible to do the ISDJ too fast?
What do you mean? The timing is very specific, but if anything, pretty much the faster you hit A after Side-B the easier it will be. If you do it too fast, then yeah, I'd imagine you might miss the window. It's pretty specific.
I didn't know about the Third Party Warp tech.
Don't feed the trolls.

:093:

Speed Stick 2400

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpeedStick2400
3DS FC
4699-7838-3944
Making 2fast even faster ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).

To be honest, I actually like Sonic as a character in Smash 4, though I usually only play with him for fun. These "tricks" may come in handy, but not so much for the opponent.

Last edited:

Syndralix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Syndralix
I finally got ISDJ down! I watched the video about it in this post and it made the timing super-clear. So thank you for showing that off.

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
If I can join in on the critiquing, the jokes really don't stay on long enough for me to be able to comfortably pause to read them, especially on mobile and other touch screen using hybrid devices when you can't slow the video down to 0.25% speed. You should consider making them show up sooner (and last until the time they currently end to avoid making the slide last longer).
I also disagree with suggestion to use :GCB: and other GameCube buttons, and unlike that post just saying "I don't like it.", I'll attempt to explain why I don't think you should change it, or at least to that if you do later down the line, at least for the info slides.

The current form is already clear enough about what you mean, especially with the colored buttons.
It also better accommodates other controllers such as Pro/WiiMote,and 3DS.
Accommodating the GameCube buttons into the slides would require one of a few things, a much larger type face, making the buttons really small and muddy, having larger line breaks/one unusually large one like in this post, having everything on one line every time you say something/on the very first line of a pargraph, or half reduce the button size half enlarge the text as well, which should have a decent result but it'll probably take more editing than the other options.

And for something more subjective, I think it looks cleaner the way it is now with how much you say per slide, it'll also avoid potential direction confusion, since I personally think saying Back-___ is easier to remember and show than :GCR:/:GCL:___ and it'll make editing/recording easier as well since you won't have to worry about which direction you're looking at before making an slide/footage to accommodate the other.
Although if you're showing something really simple (that doesn't need a text explanation longer than a few words) and also using animated buttons and video in sync with when you're supposed to do something in the style of the training videos, I think that'd be ok.
I think it might be too soon to re-do the videos unless you're planning some big changes.
If there's more things that need to be covered, and if you do re/make them, make sure you change the title to say it's outdated and un-list it instead of deleting it.
Also random complaint, but I just kind think your channel's avatar/profile art clashes with how silent the videos are, since it gives me the impression that it's supposed to be a personally driven channel initially.

Smasher-LTIMT

Smash Cadet
NNID
battlefront157
3DS FC
2165-7609-0420

Cool!! I'm gonna be leaving in a bit, so I'll check the videos when I am back!! :D

Top Bottom