• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Melee - Tournament of Resurrection (Hickory, NC)

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
The SSBM Tournament of Resurrection gathers players from all across NC to compete for 3rd, 2nd, or maybe even 1st place! Do you think your smash skills are good enough? Come on down and your question will be answered!

When: May 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM.

Where: 1234 3rd St NE, Hickory, NC 28601 (Hickory High School Mall Area)

Registration: Guess what? It's free! You can register at the registration table as you enter or request for early registration information by emailing to direcreeper@gmail.com. Early registration deadline: May 22, 2014 at 12:00 PM.

Age Restrictions: 11-23. If you are 13 or younger, you must have a parent/guardian with you.

Donations: You may make a donation to support Hickory High School at the tournament.

Prizes: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies.

Tournament Rules:

-Double Elimination.
-4 Stocks.
-8 minute time limit.
-Legal Stages:
-Battlefield, Final Destination, Dream Land, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams.
-Counterpick Stages:
-Pokemon Stadium.
-Free choice of characters.

How to Register Early

-Fill out this information in an email draft...

<Insert Full Name>

<Melee Name Entry>

<Phone Number (In case of an emergency) (Optional if you do not have a phone.)>

...then email me with this info and I will reply shortly!

For more information, text (do not call) any questions to 828-514-5977.

Last edited:

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
You may register on this thread if you do not want to register by email. Simply fill out the info in a reply and I will get back to you shortly.

Last edited:

_Dan_

Smash Rookie
Daniel Hernandez

Dan

Ganandorf

Mario

Last edited:

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
Daniel Hernandez

Dan

Ganandorf

Mario
You have successfully registered! Hope to see you there!

P.S. - You're now free to use any character you want. You don't have to stick with what characters you said.

Last edited:

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
Why is there a character lock?
Having a free choice from all characters would make it somewhat unfair to those who choose their character first. Plus, it gives the competition a little bit of a challenge.

Last edited:

Boondocker

Smash Ace
Because this is taking place at a high school, I needed to limit the age.
Not sure why that matters. Regardless, I'm sure the 22-23 year olds dont want to feel like they are beating up on the little kids. Personally I want to play the best people, regardless of age.

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
Not sure why that matters. Regardless, I'm sure the 22-23 year olds dont want to feel like they are beating up on the little kids. Personally I want to play the best people, regardless of age.
Our high school's principal wasn't too comfortable with people around thirty or older from the outside, so I had to limit it to this.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Having a free choice from all characters would make it somewhat unfair to those who choose their character first. Plus, it gives the competition a little bit of a challenge.
There so much wrong with statement I don't even know where to begin. Like, I don't even know how to start questioning it.

Before I go into this I'm going to let you know that you should probably get rid of that rule immediately and instead use a forced double-blind rule if you really hate the idea of giving people the opportunity to play whichever character they want.
-"In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each of player’s choices for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word."
It takes away that made up problem you have, while giving everyone the ability to choose from more than 2 characters. Again, I have no idea what you were thinking when you decided on that rule.

Now then, character locking inherently makes the match much more "unfair" than the way we usually do it being that you have no choice in character selection. e.g. Say Mr. Dan from up above gets set-up against a Falco. Normally, being that Ganon and Mario have fairly atrocious match-ups with Falco, he would choose to go for the ditto. Now, under normal circumstances according to the current rule-set (APEX, not yours), you aren't going to get to play with more than 2 characters a set, and most players opt to stay the course throughout and good for them. However, under the rule you propose, Mr. Dan is now stuck with losing match-up, which I can't see as being argued to be fair to Mr. Dan. Forcing people to choose 2 characters and hoping they don't run into bad match-ups? Does that really seem "fair"? Granted, Mario's and Ganon's beat Falco's all the time, but we're apparently talking about what's fair.

The rules you've suggested are not fair to anyone involved by forcing limit's on character CP's. That's why they're called counter-picks. We have that system set up for a reason. If you were really trying to making it "fair" the way you seem to understand and display it, you would make everyone chose the same character and would only be allowed to play on one stage; that would take away all the free choice from the person who chooses their character first (what does that mean anyway?) and guarantee complete "fairness".

I'm sure you disagree with that.

So please, don't do it.

Character limits are just plain idiocy.

I'm not even gonna touch the "challenge" comment

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
There so much wrong with statement I don't even know where to begin. Like, I don't even know how to start questioning it.

Before I go into this I'm going to let you know that you should probably get rid of that rule immediately and instead use a forced double-blind rule if you really hate the idea of giving people the opportunity to play whichever character they want.
-"In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each of player’s choices for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word."
It takes away that made up problem you have, while giving everyone the ability to choose from more than 2 characters. Again, I have no idea what you were thinking when you decided on that rule.

Now then, character locking inherently makes the match much more "unfair" than the way we usually do it being that you have no choice in character selection. e.g. Say Mr. Dan from up above gets set-up against a Falco. Normally, being that Ganon and Mario have fairly atrocious match-ups with Falco, he would choose to go for the ditto. Now, under normal circumstances according to the current rule-set (APEX, not yours), you aren't going to get to play with more than 2 characters a set, and most players opt to stay the course throughout and good for them. However, under the rule you propose, Mr. Dan is now stuck with losing match-up, which I can't see as being argued to be fair to Mr. Dan. Forcing people to choose 2 characters and hoping they don't run into bad match-ups? Does that really seem "fair"? Granted, Mario's and Ganon's beat Falco's all the time, but we're apparently talking about what's fair.

The rules you've suggested are not fair to anyone involved by forcing limit's on character CP's. That's why they're called counter-picks. We have that system set up for a reason. If you were really trying to making it "fair" the way you seem to understand and display it, you would make everyone chose the same character and would only be allowed to play on one stage; that would take away all the free choice from the person who chooses their character first (what does that mean anyway?) and guarantee complete "fairness".

I'm sure you disagree with that.

So please, don't do it.

Character limits are just plain idiocy.

I'm not even gonna touch the "challenge" comment
OK, I see your point. I'll remove that rule and make some changes.

Dire Creeper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dire_Creeper
The SSBM Tournament of Resurrection gathers players from all across NC to compete for 3rd, 2nd, or maybe even 1st place! Do you think your smash skills are good enough? Come on down and your question will be answered!

When: May 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM.

Where: 1234 3rd St NE, Hickory, NC 28601 (Hickory High School Mall Area)

Registration: Guess what? It's free! You can register at the registration table as you enter or request for early registration information by emailing to direcreeper@gmail.com. Early registration deadline: May 22, 2014 at 12:00 PM.

Age Restrictions: 11-23. If you are 13 or younger, you must have a parent/guardian with you.

Donations: You may make a donation to support Hickory High School at the tournament.

Prizes: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies.

Tournament Rules:

-Double Elimination.
-4 Stocks.
-8 minute time limit.
-Legal Stages:
-Battlefield, Final Destination, Dream Land, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams.
-Counterpick Stages:
-Pokemon Stadium.
-Free choice of characters.

How to Register Early

-Fill out this information in an email draft...

<Insert Full Name>

<Melee Name Entry>

<Phone Number (In case of an emergency) (Optional if you do not have a phone.)>

...then email me with this info and I will reply shortly!

For more information, text (do not call) any questions to 828-514-5977.
Made a typo: number should be 5977, not 0977.

Top Bottom