• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Academy Releases Its Guide On F.L.U.D.D Usage

Popi

Former EIC
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
PowpiPenguin

Super Smash Academy has been known to put out guides for various games in the Smash series and their latest video is no exception. Featuring the voice of YungTown, the channel has been a sure hit amongst Smashers. In fact, almost every single one of their videos receive over 100,000+ views for their high quality and informative content.

Just yesterday, they released their guide on the usage of Mario's F.L.U.D.D. This is the second installment in a series called "Show Me Your Moves" which aims to cover a specific move in character's kit every video.

Thanks to buffs to F.L.U.D.D in Smash 4, the move has become more viable compared to Brawl and many Mario pros have been seen using it to varying degrees of success. With this guide, more Mario mains will hopefully be able to utilize the move in their gameplay.

Like the video? Super Smash Academy doesn't just cover Smash 4. They also cover Melee and Project M at the moment with more content on the way. They're always looking for suggestions on what to cover for their next video, so do check them out on Facebook and Twitter.

Content like this is awesome! For tips on what to cover next, you can follow chat with the writer, PopiPenguin on Twitter @AdmiralPopi .

Last edited:

#KingM

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3926-6730-0487
Wow. I didn't know fludd could be used this competitively. Great job at informing.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Realy glad that they released this video so that players no longer complaints about this move being garbage. IT'S SO FANTASTIC move that I use it very often as a Mario main.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Finally they are giving this move the recognition it deserves.

I say, one of the things that really grinds my gears is when people say that FLUDD is garbage because it is not the Tornado or because it does no damage, ignoring the usability it brings in Mario's gameplay. Usually said by people with little competitive experience or little knowledge about Mario.

AcePikachu

Smash Cadet
NNID
UltimaPikachu
3DS FC
4270-1808-1129
You know I never thought an uncharged FLUDD could be used like that. To bad I use Dr.Mario instead.

BSP

Smash Legend
Not bad, but FLUDD's best uses at high level play were not covered. Whiff Punishing and pushing people who retreat to the ledge past it.

High level players won't recover high enough for Mario to directly spray them with FLUDD, so it's edgeguarding purposes in that regard are pretty niche.

What FLUDD can do that was not mentioned is whiff punish up Bs better than any move in the game. Characters that are dependent on their up Bs for whatever reasons (Pac-Man, ZSS, Sheik, MK, DK, Marth, Lucina, Roy, Sonic, etc.) are particularly vulnerable when using it against Mario with FLUDD. If they miss an up B and try to retreat to a ledge, Mario is the only character that can KO them for it.

Examples:
https://youtu.be/BeTEleMAOuA?t=37
https://youtu.be/gaZjsaeI2gM?t=214

Even top Mario players fail to apply this in matches sometimes. I watched Mario get timed out by Sonic at CEO. Sonic spammed spring, and the Mario players had the perfect tool to punish it but didn't use it.

Smash Ace
Not bad, but FLUDD's best uses at high level play were not covered. Whiff Punishing and pushing people who retreat to the ledge past it.

High level players won't recover high enough for Mario to directly spray them with FLUDD, so it's edgeguarding purposes in that regard are pretty niche.

What FLUDD can do that was not mentioned is whiff punish up Bs better than any move in the game. Characters that are dependent on their up Bs for whatever reasons (Pac-Man, ZSS, Sheik, MK, DK, Marth, Lucina, Roy, Sonic, etc.) are particularly vulnerable when using it against Mario with FLUDD. If they miss an up B and try to retreat to a ledge, Mario is the only character that can KO them for it.

Examples:
https://youtu.be/BeTEleMAOuA?t=37
https://youtu.be/gaZjsaeI2gM?t=214

Even top Mario players fail to apply this in matches sometimes. I watched Mario get timed out by Sonic at CEO. Sonic spammed spring, and the Mario players had the perfect tool to punish it but didn't use it.
"Sonic spammed spring" Reallly?

BSP

Smash Legend
"Sonic spammed spring" Reallly?
Sonic frequently used spring as a mixup method in order to avoid punishment after failing to hit Mario with Spin Dash / Charge. FLUDD can KO him for doing so if he does not fall right towards Mario afterwards.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
Finally they are giving this move the recognition it deserves.

I say, one of the things that really grinds my gears is when people say that FLUDD is garbage because it is not the Tornado or because it does no damage, ignoring the usability it brings in Mario's gameplay. Usually said by people with little competitive experience or little knowledge about Mario.
I don't use mario but flud bothers me because I use ness, tink only ones I can use to recover are pika and lucario

StR!p

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlayerTwix
3DS FC
4871-3864-3022
I played against a Mario in a local tournament on losers finals and the other player never let me recover well... that's a good movement, make good use of it.

Kid_Carlton13

Smash Cadet
NNID
KidCarlton13
3DS FC
0447-6623-7476
This is great I was watching ZeRo's guide to Mario and he used Fludd to cape very useful I barely use F.L.U.D.D as it is gives me more options to improve my Mario game.

Top Bottom