• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Mario Bros. Characters Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueJedi21

Smash Rookie
Hello, I am a "new" YouTube video uploader and I previously had a SSB4 Possibilities series on my old channel. Now, on my new channel, I am holding a voting competition for my new SSB4 Roster!!! Voting starts now and ends next Saturday, April 20. Just a little project I 've been wanting to piece together. Here are the candidates:

Count Bleck
Dimentio
Geno
Mallow
Bowser Jr
Fawful
Rosalina
Petey Pirahna
King Boo
Toad
Waluigi
Paper Mario

I am TrueJedi21 on YouTube.
Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwKTqMqLzI
Votes are replies, votes, and messages here, comments, video responses, messages, etc. on YouTube!!! HAVE FUN!!

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Hello, I am a "new" YouTube video uploader and I previously had a SSB4 Possibilities series on my old channel. Now, on my new channel, I am holding a voting competition for my new SSB4 Roster!!! Voting starts now and ends next Saturday, April 20. Just a little project I 've been wanting to piece together. Here are the candidates:

Count Bleck
Dimentio
Geno
Mallow
Bowser Jr
Fawful
Rosalina
Petey Pirahna
King Boo
Toad
Waluigi
Paper Mario

I am TrueJedi21 on YouTube.
Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwKTqMqLzI
Votes are replies, votes, and messages here, comments, video responses, messages, etc. on YouTube!!! HAVE FUN!!
I voted for Toad on your poll.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Hey Super Mario fans, does this list contain all of Mario's Promintent, Important, and Fan Favorites?

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Doctor Mario
Bowser Junior
Daisy
Fawful
King Boo
Paper Mario
Rosalina
Toad
Waluigi

I'm not looking to simply expand this list, but to add any characters that fit one of those THREE categories. Unless you have a personal fave, then I'll add them :)

D

Deleted member

I'm assuming this means you're adding Geno to the third-party section, right?

Maybe add Petey Piranha, but that's it.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'll probably not add him. The only reason King Boo is there is because of Luigi's Mansion.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really want Toad so bad. I was disappointed that he wasn't playable in Brawl. I hope Sakurai looks into New Super Mario Bros. Wii and U and seriously considers Toad this time.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
May I suggest Birdo? Not my favourite, but just for the sake of completeness.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'd say Paper Mario is my preferred character out of this list. I want E. Gadd over any of the others though. His moveset potential is pretty interesting. Same with PM, he looks like he'd be perfect. I was even thinking the new game's "SSE" could feature a part where Mario and Link come across a dimensional wall where they find counterparts of themselves from another dimension (Toon Link and Paper Mario), who they could then recruit, adding them to the roster.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
E. Gadd and King Boo are the only Mario characters that interest me for being playable. I wouldn't want King Boo as a boss. It just wouldnt be as exciting or interesting having him as a boss in a smash game while you could have a bowser sized ghost character that could attack and grab, pummel or stun opponents with that big ass purple tongue of his.

We could get King Boo playable and Luigi could have a codec that lets E. Gadd give advice to Luigi on your opponent through the Gameboy Horror Dual Scream.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd expect Bowser Jr. He could have a rather interesting fighting style depending on what games they borrow from. Either way he should be different enough to be more than a faster Bowser. E. Gadd would be awesome too, but he isn't as likely though.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Let's talk about the most broken Mario character ever created. Nabbit.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Nabbit can fight with Bowser Jr.'s paint brush, which he could've stole from him since he's already wearing his bandana scarf thing.:troll:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly, he could have very interessting specials. He'd be like, Toad, Bowser Jr. and Waluigi combined... :eek:

D

Deleted member

Wait a minute....Miyamoto DID say that there might be a 3rd Mario Bro. introduced if needed.....
What if...."Nabbit" is the 3rd Bro. in disguise? Like the bandana is covering the real face of the Bro., who is in a strange costume.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wait a minute....Miyamoto DID say that there might be a 3rd Mario Bro. introduced if needed.....
What if...."Nabbit" is the 3rd Bro. in disguise? Like the bandana is covering the real face of the Bro., who is in a strange costume.
Nabbit can't be the third brother. Note that the word "Bros." is crossed out. :troll: :laugh:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I may make a thread for Nabbit when i'm done making a moveset for him.
Edit: but for now here's this

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hey Super Mario fans, does this list contain all of Mario's Promintent, Important, and Fan Favorites?

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Doctor Mario
Bowser Junior
Daisy
Fawful
King Boo
Paper Mario
Rosalina
Toad
Waluigi

I'm not looking to simply expand this list, but to add any characters that fit one of those THREE categories. Unless you have a personal fave, then I'll add them :)
I think Kamek the Magikoopa qualifies. He's been in more titles than most of the characters on the list, frequently as a major player. He's prominent for his reoccurring role, and important as Bowser's father-figure and primary henchman.
And I guess fan favorite since I'm a fan and he's my favored Mario character to get in. :p

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think Kamek the Magikoopa qualifies. He's been in more titles than most of the characters on the list, frequently as a major player. He's prominent for his reoccurring role, and important as Bowser's father-figure and primary henchman.
And I guess fan favorite since I'm a fan and he's my favored Mario character to get in. :p
I put Kamek in the Yoshi choices ~

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Y'know, I think that I'm getting used to the idea of Paper Mario. So long as he uses his various partners/items he can turn out to be very unique. Granted I don't think he's super likely. But he'd be a cool character nonetheless.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
To be fair, "Paper Mario" is to Mario as "Toon Link" is to Link. Sure, he's technically Mario, but there is a lot about him that's different from Mario and there've been quite a few Paper games now. It could be fun to have him in... Or maybe give Mario/Luigi/Peach/Bowser alternate paper costumes, hah (that sounds difficult to do)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A few months ago I would've said with confidence that we ain't getting a fifth Mario character. Now things are more up in the air. The possible choices break down into these tiers.

Another Mario Tier (Another version of the main man)
Dr. Mario
Paper Mario

Playable Tier (Have/will be playable in a Main Series Mario game)
Toad
Rosalina
Nabbit (I didn't make Luigi U)

Villain Tier (Have been recurring foes)
Bowser Jr.
Kamek (May count as Yoshi Villain)

Spin-off Tier (Characters know for filling out the cast of Mario Spin-offs)
Waluigi
Daisy
Birdo

Owned By Another Company Tier (And let's face it a Final Fantasy character would shift more copies)
Geno

D

Deleted member

So on this Wednesday, we did get a Mario character after all, in Rosalina & Luma.

I myself was completely surprised that this even happened at all. Even with her playable appearance in Super Mario 3D World, I saw no possibility of Rosalina ever getting in. The fact that she did is something worth going into details for.

The fact that a fifth Mario character even happened at all bodes well for Smash 3DS & Wii U's roster. At the end of the day, we could have very well not gotten a Mario newcomer. While there were many legitimate arguments for a Mario character, there were equally good points that pointed against us getting one. The possibility of a Mario newcomer was middling. With us now knowing of Rosalina & Luma's inclusion, it shows that Sakurai has not forgotten about existing series characters and fans of characters such as King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Palutena and Ridley should be encouraged by this development.

What Rosalina's inclusion also means is that Sakurai is favoring uniqueness as the primary reason to include a character (though not the only one). Rosalina was less important than Toad or Bowser Jr. yet she was still included because her play style is something that no other character could emulate. Sakurai was not kidding when he indicated an increase focus on uniqueness. This is good because it shows that the pool for newcomers is bigger than what we think. Before Rosalina, the Smash community was used to arguing the same twenty characters over and over again. Now that Rosalina is in, more potential additions are being brought up. We are seeing discussion of Wonderful 101, we are seeing more serious discussion on new Pokémon characters (not counting Brawl + Mewtwo), characters aside from Roy & Chrom are being considered for Fire Emblem and Bandanna Dee is starting to make headlines as well. While it is too late to influence SSB 3DS & Wii U's roster, it is good in that it makes people more comfortable in talking about characters they otherwise wouldn't have. This in return, indicates increased hype for the game. I myself am pleased to see Rosalina included for these reasons I've mentioned, because I liked her in Super Mario Galaxy and because of how great she is turning out in Smash.

However, some harsh truths must be faced in the light of the events of the past several months.

As a Toad supporter, I definitely sympathize with the passionate Toad fans and can understand the pain they feel over Toad's disconfirmation. I myself felt that he should have gotten in by now. Unfortunately, it is clear that Toad will never be granted playable status. He has had two chances to become playable; one in Brawl and one in SSB 3DS & Wii U. If Sakurai hasn't seen Toad as playable material by now, nothing will change his mind on this. It is unfortunate, but those who have not accepted this reality should do so now; Toad is Peach's eternal meatshield.

As a matter of fact, many characters are in a "now or never" limbo. Characters such as Ridley, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Little Mac, Palutena, and others are in their best position to get in now. All the cards they have were played for this game. Should they fail, they likely won't get another shot. Mega Man is one such "now or never" character that got in. Toad is a "now or never" character that didn't. If there is a Smash 6, expect the scene to be a lot different.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I agree with most of your thoughts SSBF

But...

As a matter of fact, many characters are in a "now or never" limbo. Characters such as Ridley, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Little Mac, Palutena, and others are in their best position to get in now. All the cards they have were played for this game. Should they fail, they likely won't get another shot. Mega Man is one such "now or never" character that got in. Toad is a "now or never" character that didn't. If there is a Smash 6, expect the scene to be a lot different.
I don't think that really applies to King K. Rool, Dixie Kong or Palutena.

Ridley and Little Mac I agree with though. This very well may be their last chance.

Fortunately, Little Mac is all but confirmed.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
As a Toad supporter, I definitely sympathize with the passionate Toad fans and can understand the pain they feel over Toad's disconfirmation. I myself felt that he should have gotten in by now. Unfortunately, it is clear that Toad will never be granted playable status. He has had two chances to become playable; one in Brawl and one in SSB 3DS & Wii U. If Sakurai hasn't seen Toad as playable material by now, nothing will change his mind on this. It is unfortunate, but those who have not accepted this reality should do so now; Toad is Peach's eternal meatshield.
Sadly the cold hard facts. Toad was never really going to get in before Wario, but after his reveal Toad was the next most logical option. What a shame Sakurai sometimes likes to fly in the face of logic. He also doesn't like to alter his canon, hence why I'm predicting Captain Falcondorf stays the same yet again.

That's basically both the only newcomers I've wanted since Smash 64 that I've felt should be in the game due to their iconicness screwed out of said position by some less overall important individual to the series; first Meowth gets screwed because of Jigglypuff(and to a lesser extent Pichu) and now Toad with Rosalina. As long as Sakurai's in charge neither of these two are ever going to be playable. What a disappointment.

I also have doubts for Waluigi for the same reasons as we do for Ridley, but considering neither Paper Mario nor Bowser Jr. have had a previous Smash role, I feel like they may still have shots in the future Smash games(if not this one) providing they stay in the spotlight.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Bowser Jr. might still have a chance to be playable though, considering that he has the stuff to be a very unique fighter.

All the other primary Mario characters are out of luck at this point though.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
So guys...
Q: Paper Mario should represent his own series or just be added as a Mario franchise character?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So guys...
Q: Paper Mario should represent his own series or just be added as a Mario franchise character?
I'd say his own series, but...well Doc didn't get to represent his own series so I'm not overly hopeful for that outcome. I'd prefer it though, but I'm pretty bias since the Mario series and it's spinoffs are the ones I grew up with and enjoy most.

Likewise I'd like to see Luigi rep his own series eventually too...maybe after one more Mansion game.
I know he's a key part of the Mario BROS. series but if you have a successful spinoff franchise you may as well rep it instead; Yoshi and Wario certainly did despite the former being a large part of the Super Mario series too.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I have faith in Waluigi. AT or Playable. He must be there ~

Mario & Luigi vs Wario & Waluigi (Need to happen)
He could represent the "Mario Spin-off". I'd be dissepointed if he were neither.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
As unlikely as it sounds, Toad probably might get in Smash with a moveset inspired by New Super Mario Bros. games... just like Rosalina got in with a moveset inspired by Super Mario Galaxy games.

Waluigi is probably an Assist Trophy again... Bowser Jr. is probably an Adventure Mode boss in his Koopa Clown Car... Paper Mario is probably a trophy... Geno definitely will not appear in the game in any way, shape, or form. Rosalina is probably the only Mario newcomer...

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Still crossing my fingers for Toad as well. I've been waiting for him for more than ten years now.

I wish we could have more Mario newcomers, they are the ones with the most appeal after all...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
As unlikely as it sounds, Toad probably might get in Smash with a moveset inspired by New Super Mario Bros. games... just like Rosalina got in with a moveset inspired by Super Mario Galaxy games.
Or next time with a moveset inspired from 3D World. One of the two.

Waluigi is probably an Assist Trophy again... Bowser Jr. is probably an Adventure Mode boss in his Koopa Clown Car... Paper Mario is probably a trophy... Geno definitely will not appear in the game in any way, shape, or form. Rosalina is probably the only Mario newcomer...
Almost definitely. Although Geno's music MAY show up. I hadn't considered Jr. as a possible boss actually...think I'd still prefer King Boo, or the Koopalings(in a Cruel Brawl style fight) as bosses overall, but...

Still crossing my fingers for Toad as well. I've been waiting for him for more than ten years now.

I wish we could have more Mario newcomers, they are the ones with the most appeal after all...
Another Toad Brigader! Better do a doodle.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Personally, in addition with the Mario spinoff characters, we'll have 10 Mario characters total.
So the confirmed ones:
1. Mario 6. Donkey Kong
2. Luigi 7. Diddy Kong
3. Peach 8. DK Newcomer / Paper Mario / Dr. Mario
4. Bowser 9. Yoshi
5. Rosalina 10. Wario
I feel like this would be the best scenario for the Mario series.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Or next time with a moveset inspired from 3D World. One of the two.

Almost definitely. Although Geno's music MAY show up. I hadn't considered Jr. as a possible boss actually...think I'd still prefer King Boo, or the Koopalings(in a Cruel Brawl style fight) as bosses overall, but...

Another Toad Brigader! Better do a doodle.
I wanted to join the conversation on the other thread, but as I was going to make an account, arrow to our hearts. :/
That discouraged me a little, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom