• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Struggling with Robin.... >.<

puffypalutena

Smash Cadet
NNID
PuffyPalutena
3DS FC
1736-0501-7736
I main Robin because of FE:A (AND WAIFUUUUU!). I feel tha I cannot land my Elfire's and Levin Sword correctly. It's pretty hard to kill and land hits. Should I not use the Levin so much? I try aim Elfire after short hopping far away. Should I use Nosferatu(?) more frequent? Please, any Robin players, help!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think your question would be best asked here, sweetheart.

Talk to people who play Robin, too, they'll offer you individual advice. Always remember that the social thread is a friendly hub and the people there will do what they can to help!

What I can say based on my own experience, though, is that you shouldn't rely on any breakable weapon, lest it shatter when you need it most. Add in some mixups with Levin Sword / Bronze Sword, use Arcfire as a setup to force aerial approaches that you can punish, don't rush in blindly and, yes, learn when to use Nosferatu and practice timing it right. Robin is a tricky character to get to grips with, so you'll need to keep at it and always strive to improve - if you're serious about maining Robin, I'd suggest focusing moreso on her and less on other characters, as she really will demand a lot of patience and investment to play her well.

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I give the same advice for Arcfire as I would with a rocket launcher - aim for the ground, instead of for your opponent directly.

Irisz

The Wanderer
NNID
QnIrisZ
3DS FC
4871-4459-0233
When I use Arcfire, I mix up using Nair and LSFair/BSFair all the time. That way I don't always use LSFair (although admittedly I use it a but more than I should)

In regards to using Arcfire itself, don't aim for them. Like Zareidriel said, try to aim for you think they will be. Always be three steps ahead ;)
If you know they're going to land somewhere/roll somewhere, use Arcfire! I also tend to use it right on the ledge in case they jump/get up from it right away.

You can always look through the Robin Video Archive and watch other players too. I would highly recommend doing so.

I personally think Nosferatu is a bit of a tricky one. You can't really ever rely on hitting it. When I do use it, I do it from a ledgehop because my opponent is shielding expecting a LSFair or something. Use it to surprise/read a spotdodge?

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
Arcfire is a bit tricky to use against good players imo, cause they can punish it really easely. Try to use it a different way each time : Sometimes short hop, sometimes don't, sometimes short hop backward, or run away and pivot arcfire (this one works really well) etc. Avoid short hop forward ->arcfire because if you fail you may be punished by a charged smash.
When the guy grabs the ledge, you can spam arcfire right on the ledge, it's a pain to deal with this for some characters.

About the levin sword, use it each time you go for an aerial (don't think "I have only 25% chance to hit so I will save it for another time"). When it's broken, try to go for B moves and Nair instead of other aerials and avoid using smash attacks (Down smash is still decent without levin sword, and can still ko fairly early, but looses a lot of range. The 2 others are useless wihtout levin sword).

Abuse Uair, it's a godlike move. If there is someone under you, most of the time you want to fast fall Uair instead of Dair (unless you are want to spike him). Same thing if you are about to land right on your opponant, just fast fall Uair and try to land behind him (or BAir), Uair has way less landing lag than Dair.

The less you use nosferatu the better the move is (you have to surprise your opponant each time you use it). This move has a lot of end lag and is fairly slow, so if you use it too often and your opponant reads it, he will just dodge and destroy you. However, Nosferatu is really good when you try to land on a shield. It's also a good punish if you read a roll and you have more % than your opponant, otherwise just go for Dsmash.

Try to have an arcthunder ready at all time (or a thoron when your opponant is at 130%+). Arcthunder puts a lot of pressure on your opponant, because the projectile is really slow at the start. So it covers spot dodges, rolls, aerials, dash attacks...everything. The only thing your opponant can do are jumping over it, rolling behind you if he is really close or shield it. If he jumps, you can punish it with an Uair, or grab him when he lands. If he rolls, you should be able to hit an Ftilt before he hits you. If he shield, you can dash grab him. It's really scary to run on a robin whit an arcthunder ready to use. When you hit arcthunder, you can dash grab and get some free % on him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom