• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Struggling to Improve with Robin

Genhris

Smash Rookie
I'd like to start off by thinking everyone who clicked on this thread and would like to ask how they've improved with Robin. I started playing Robin just because I've been a Fire Emblem Fan since Path of Radiance who always though there should be a mage character representing Fire Emblem for once. I got my wish and I think I'm learning Robin, but progress is rather slow. I've picked up a few advanced techs like grab canceled rolls and such (which I'm struggling to find a way to implement it into my gameplay). I just want to know how everyone else improved their Robin game. Thank you for your time.

Genhris

Tricky Al

Smash Cadet
Welcome, it's always good to see more Robin mains. While I'm pretty much a Robin rookie myself, I do have a suggestion. It's difficult to give you advice on how to progress if we don't know where you stand as a player. There aren't too many ATs particular to Robin, just capitalizing on his spacing, traps and setups and learning where to use all his tools.

If you can, upload a few matches of your gameplay and others will be able to tell you exactly how to progress as a Robin main. There's actually a video thread where you can ask for feedback and it's pinned at the top of the main "Robin" page.

If you can't provide a vid then we'll need some details on things you struggle with. Lots of details! Lol but a vid is best.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Not to toot my own horn, but have you checked out this guide? It's somewhat lacking in advanced techniques and strategies at the moment (though that will change), but if you're struggling to improve it may give you a place to start. It also has a couple of basic exercises that you might find useful.

But really, the best way to improve your Robin game is to play thousands of matches.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
There are plenty of players out there dedicated to improving and have played the "thousands of matches" without actually getting better with their main. It's more like understanding the flaws and weaknesses of each and every character fighter, understanding common player tactics, and playing locally often. Oh, and actually have the energy/mental stability to play effectively(EAT BREAKFAST DAMMIT).

On the topic of local battling, I recently noticed that the AI will adopt player tactics/combos from opponents you faced in the past, even if you never touched that character before. Pretty nifty.

I don't recommend relying on online modes for practice unless you have somehow managed to get 0% input lag.

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Do you think players have played thousands of matches without getting any better? Not at all better between the first match and the 2000th? Understanding is one thing (an extremely important thing), but having an innate "feel" for your character, to be able to use them as an extension of your own body, is something that can only be accomplished through playing. And playing a LOT.

I somewhat disagree with that last statement, I've found Smashladder to be a tremendous resource for improvement. Though you may have been referring to the game's built-in online modes. Having a LAN adapter to plug your Wii U directly into your modem is recommended if you go with that route.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
My former statement was for after the user had already gained a "feel" to their main but yet continues to struggle against players.

I don't disagree with the LAN adapter option. Some of us are unfortunately stuck with wireless due to modem and Wii U/TV location, sadly.

Last edited:

LochTessMonster

Smash Cadet
I hate to give the general answer but I learnt just through tons of matches. I have a friend with whom we play somewhere between 5-10 hours a week, and that has greatly, greatly improved my Robin game. Understanding the concept of a character means nothing if you can't apply that into controller inputs. You can say, I want this Arcfire to go onto the ledge to force a certain getup option, but learning how to get the placement right in a short amount of time is something you can only learn through repeated practice. And as people have said before, uploading some videos of you playing will help us give you tips on what you're doing right and wrong. As Zareidriel put it,
...but having an innate "feel" for your character, to be able to use them as an extension of your own body, is something that can only be accomplished through playing. And playing a LOT.

Meneil

Smash Apprentice
My strategy for learning any game is to usually watch videos of good players who also use my main. Then, I pick 1-2 options I wouldn't have normally chosen but saw them do, and work them into my game in friendlies. There's been noticeable points in my career where I get a level better - this usually comes through moments about thinking critically about mechanics of the game, and how to better cover options. It's not exactly like I have an epiphany every day, but just thinking about the game, and playing in general can lead into those bigger moments. My only regret is that I don't have as much time as I'd like in the day to Smash.

Dathx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dathx77
Playing matches is the most important thing. Against many different types of players of varying skills and varying character mains. Robin is probably the MOST important character to understand MUs with, because she can be optimized to play every MU differently, so much so, that I think with the right adjustments, she will never lose a MU hard.

As an interesting statistic, I have played Robin in 1758 826 games on the 3DS, 2297 games on my Wii U, and then add in all the other games I've played on other people's Wii U's at smashfests/tourney friendlies. So that's 4055 3123 plus probably a solid 1000 on other Wii U's for a minimum of 5000 4000 Robin games. Fun times...

Last edited:

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
A lot of the time, I finding playing Robin is about trying out a new plan every time you play. The more plans you learn, the easier it becomes to return to them at a moment's notice; sometimes autopilot can be a good thing. Robin ditto matches are a great way to learn plans of action. Don't bother trying to find those on For Glory though XP

Last edited:

Genhris

Smash Rookie
Thank you everyone for your advice, I currently don't have way to upload my Robin gameplay right now, but I think I have an idea. It's comforting to know that there are other Robin mains out there though. I wish the best of luck to all you aspiring white-haired tacticians out there :)

gumx

Smash Rookie
you could always add me if you like for friendlies. would be nice to fight robins because i am like the only robin i know. btw i am a red-haired tactician ;).

LochTessMonster

Smash Cadet
Thank you everyone for your advice, I currently don't have way to upload my Robin gameplay right now, but I think I have an idea. It's comforting to know that there are other Robin mains out there though. I wish the best of luck to all you aspiring white-haired tacticians out there :)
If you have a google account you can upload your replays directly to youtube, so long as they're 3 minutes or shorter.

SpaghettiWeegee

Smash Apprentice
Robin's nice to play primarily because there's no need to learn a huge list of advanced techniques or master difficult technical inputs beyond directional tilting in order to play him/her effectively. What you need to play Robin effectively is a mastery of the mental game of Smash-- understandings of tactics commonly used by every other fighter will better allow you to trick them into falling into one of Robin's many trap tools and rack up damage rapidly. You also should be on the lookout for your opponent's habits-- since Robin has few kill confirms, the most reliable way to get KOs is by reading your opponent. You can become a better Robin just by learning more about the game and how people play it. Otherwise, just be sure to make full use of dropped tomes and Levin Swords, don't get too crazy worrying about optimizing movement (it barely matters on a character as slow as Robin-- moving around too much can actually damage your play), and remember to always keep a few dollars stored away in your back pocket on the off-chance you need to tip the scales. kek.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Go through the roster and play as every character a few times like you would be picking them for your main. Once you see what they can do and how they play you can react better to them. Also go check out VGBC on youtube they have loads of matches for you to see what certain characters can accomplish. In time you can see three steps ahead of every character and react to the situation accordingly, but no doubt there are still hard match ups and some you may not be able to win. Just have fun!

Top Bottom