• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Switch It Up!" - Patricia Wagon for SSB4!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

[Last updated: 8/25/15]

Who is Patricia Wagon?
Patricia Wagon is a robotic law enforcer who is the playable character in Mighty Switch Force and Mighty Switch Force 2 (which I’ll be referring to as MSF and MSF2). In the first game, she’s a police officer whose main goal is to stop the Hooligan Sisters, while in the second game, she’s a firefighter who now has to save them since they’ve reformed. Although a robot, Patricia has a spunky personality, as she is overall happy about her job and loves catching bad guys.

On a side note, MSF and MSF2 are the third and fourth games in WayForward's Mighty series, the first two being Mighty Flip Champs and Mighty Milky Way (both available on the DSi/3DS eShop). The original MSF (originally released on the 3DS eShop) was so popular that the sequel was created (also on 3DS eShop, later ported to Wii U), as well as a remastered Wii U port (Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition). MSF is still relevant even in 2015, as a spin-off game titled Mighty Switch Force: Hose it Down! was released on iOS systems. However it's worth noting that it is more of a touch-based puzzle solver and doesn't feature the platforming elements the previous games had.

In an AMA on reddit, WayForward creative director Matt Bozon stated that they may make a Mighty Switch Force 3.

Mighty Switch Force themes are available for the 3DS. The Hyper Drive edition of the original Mighty Switch Force was released on Steam on 6/25/15.

On August 2015 WayForward officially revealed a spin-off of the regular games, Mighty Switch Force Academy. As of this writing it is only available on Steam via Early Access, however WayForward did say that they will most likely release it on other platforms once the game is finished.

Powers/Abilities
In both games, Patricia can use her Helmet Siren to make certain blocks go into the background so she can pass through (she can also make blocks appear into the foreground so she can jump on them or defeat enemies). Aside from this unique ability, she also has a blaster at her side which can shoot either fast small shots, or one big shot at a time. In MSF2 her blaster is replaced witha fire-hose like backpack to put out fires. Patricia also has a robot named Corporal Gendarmor to aid her (it places Patricia inside of itself so that she can finish the level).

Also in MSF2, she can save babies by kicking them off screen (not joking).

Here are some videos so you can get an idea of what she can do with switching blocks:
Gameplay of Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition (level 1)
Gameplay of Mighty Switch Force 2

Why should she be in Smash?
Patricia originates from a company that is mainly Nintendo-based. Her games have received critical acclaim for their originality and level design as well as their soundtracks. She has a lot of potential to be a fighter and would fit in perfectly with the other fighters.

Possible Movesets (feel free to suggest any other moves)
B: Blaster: You can either press it quickly to fire fast shots, or you could hold it to fire a single large shot. Basically Samus' default special, except you can shoot small ones faster.
Up B: Shoots herself upwards using the purple arrow block. You hurt enemies as you fly up.
Down B: Uses her fire-hose to either push or injure enemies. Similar to Mario's F.L.U.D.D.
Side B: Creates a block right next to her which hurts and temporarily stuns the enemy.

Final Smash: Goes inside of Corporal Gendarmor and is much stronger (similar to Giga Bowser or Wario Man).

Match Entrance: Jumps and poses for the camera just like she does when starting a level (video)
Star KO: Screams just like when she loses all of her health in the games (video)
Screen KO: Patricia has her arms and legs spread out similar to when she gets hurt by a block (video)

Up Taunt: Raises her arms in the air
Side Taunt: Dances to the left and right
Down Taunt: Gives the peace sign

(Video of all three taunts shown respectively)

Victory Animation 1: Patricia does a few poses with her blaster and says "aha I gotcha!" (video of sound)
Victory Animation 2: Patricia poses with Corporal Gendarmor and says "justice served!" (video of sound)
Victory Animation 3: Patricia softly kicks a crying baby on the ground up into the air, causing it to go into her arms while she says "doing my duty". The baby and Patricia then both smile at the camera. In case you're scratching your head, in MSF2 Patricia can save babies by kicking them off screen (see the gif below the Powers/Abilities section)

Patricia could also have a gimmick where she switches between two modes via her helmet which results in possible status changes similar to Shulk.

To quote from Matt Bozon: "There's no shortage of ideas or enthusiasm".

Possible alt costumes

Police officer outfit from the original MSF
Firefighter outfit from MSF2
Gym clothes unlockable outfit
True robotic form
Academy Enrollment uniform

Aside from these, their could be alts based off of characters from the other Mighty games.

Mighty Switch Force Music that could be added
Love You Love You Love

Jive Bot
Whoa I'm In Space Cuba
Glow
The Afterblaze
Rescue Girl (a bit corny but still great)

Counterarguments:

Mighty Switch Force isn’t made by Nintendo

While this is true, one thing that should be kept in mind is that WayForward is overall very friendly with Nintendo. Most of their games are created for Nintendo consoles, and when they’re not, they’re mainly games based off of licensed titles or ports. Examples of non-licensed and original WayForward games that are exclusive to Nintendo consoles include Shantae (GBC), Mighty Milky Way (DSi), both of the Mighty Switch Force games (3DS/Wii U), and Shantae and the Pirate’s Cuse (3DS/Wii U). Also, Shantae: Risky’s Revenge and Mighty Flip Champs may be available on other platforms, but they both started out on the DSi.

Plus with the Smash ballot, any video game chracter is eligible.

----------------

"She'll just be like Mii Gunner"

Patricia's block-switching/firefighter abilities in her games are very unique and can be used in many different ways that would be very difficult for the Mii Gunner to replicate.

----------------

"Shantae would be better"

Shantae is probably Patricia Wagon's main competitor when it comes to a Wayforward character in Smash. While Shantae may have a better chance over Patricia since she's more popular, there are still a few small advantages that Patricia has that puts her up on Shantae's level:

One thing Patricia has going for herself is that both of her main games are only for Nintendo systems (Mighty Switch Force: Hose it Down! which recently came out on the iOS is more of a spin-off puzzle game). Shantae: Risky's Revenge is available on Steam, and the next main Shantae game Half-Genie Hero will be released on many different platforms including the PS4 and XOne. It will be available for the Wii U, but not the 3DS, making it the first Shantae game so far to not be released on a Nintendo handheld. Even if they get ported later MSF and MSF2 were on Nintendo consoles first unlike Half-Genie Hero. Although not by a lot, Patricia has a very slight advantage when it comes to only being on Nintendo systems.

EDIT: Mighty Switch Force was released on Steam, so the above paragraph is now obsolete.

Also being more popular than someone else does not always guarantee a spot. Robin from Fire Emblem was chosen over Chrom despite Chrom being a much more popular choice. Of course this case can be argued because Robin had more potential than Chrom. With tons of law enforcement/firefighting equipment and an overall futuristic feel, Patricia's fighting potential is just as good as Shantae's.

I want to clarify by saying that I'm not against Shantae joining at all, and in fact want both of these characters in Smash.

Chances of appearing in SSB4 as DLC

Her chances of appearing as a playable character are honestly a bit low, since as of this writing, SSB4 will be released in Japan in less than 2 weeks, and there isn't much talk of her. However there's still a chance, and it would be great if she made it in as a fighter (note: Mighty Switch Force as well as the other Mighty games except for MSF2 are available in Japan). If not, it would be interesting if she was either made into an assist trophy (who could either shoot at enemies or summon blocks) or just a normal trophy.

With DLC characters coming out and the new Smash Ballot being open to just about any video game character, I feel like Patricia's chances have increased significantly. WayForward currently wants people to vote for Shantae, so while they may not be focusing on Patricia Wagon at the moment, at least we know WayForward is willing to put one of their characters in Smash Bros.

Patricia Wagon may not be as popular as Shantae, but she's still a really cool character that would be great to have in Smash. I think that if more people were to hear of her and what she could do, she would be a top third party contender choice.

If you support Patricia Wagon as a DLC character, spread the word! With the Smash ballot she still has a chance. Feel free to join the supporters group (just ask me and I'll add you) and add any ideas!

Patricia Wagon's Fire Crew (Supporters)
Sari
Legofan12
NekuShikazu
Mr. Marowak

Notice: there was another thread about Patricia Wagon, however it didn't have much detail and was supposedly abandoned. I asked if I was allowed to create a new thread and a moderator said I could.

Last edited:

NekuShikazu

Smash Journeyman
I got a good feeling she won't make it in. But finally, out of the recent threads I've been to, this one is detailed and convincing. I'll support.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Since the games she is in, aren't published by Nintendo, and third-party characters tend to be iconic, I really doubt she has any chance. But cool art-style nonetheless, hopefully Nintendo buy Wayforward, or publish future titles.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well after about six months I'm finally back to revive this thread. WayForward recently made a post that supported Shantae for Smash Bros, and with the new Smash ballot I feel like Patricia Wagon still has a shot at snagging a spot. A new Mighty Switch Force game for the iOS was made earlier this year so she is still fairly relevant. I spent the past two three hours redoing this thread so I hope it was worth it. Here are the changes I made:

• Changed/added some pictures
• Added some information regarding the recent Mighty Switch Force: Hose it Down! for the iOS
• Added possible music additions
• Added two more counterarguments
• Added information regarding her chances as DLC
• Added ballot info
• Added various other important notes
• Fixed a few grammar errors
• Overall, made the thread much more viewable

I also may create flairs for Patricia at a later point.

Even if you somehow read this thread before I updated it, I highly suggest reading it again as this version is definitely an improvement. Depending on how popular this gets I may create a flair for people's signatures.

I really hope that people see the potential that Patricia Wagon has as a fighter. Feel free to discuss everything about her on this thread, such as possible movesets, color swaps, ideas, news, whatever (as long as it doesn't break general SmashBoard rules).

So enjoy! Also here's some great music to get you in the Mighty vibe while reading the original post.

Last edited:

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
I wanna support since MSF is legit one of the best puzzle platformers I've played in a long time and Wagon is the best.

Here's hoping a baby-kicking taunt or victory pose.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well Mighty Switch Force Academy was just released today via Steam's Early Access. It's a spin-off game that has co-op though it's still in testing. As of now it isn't available for other platforms, though WayForward said they'll most likely do so once the game is completely finished. Maybe now Patricia Wagon will gain some more popularity.

Anyway I cleaned up the OP a bit and added a few new things such as possible animations. If anyone else wants to contribute in anyway (new ideas or just wanting to join the support group), feel free to post below.

Top Bottom