• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stickywalk: A Moonwalk extension

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
my fellow peachy comrade wanted me to post this here as well, and I did after all find this out initially with peach sooooo........

So, moonwalking being only one of my most favorite tactics of all time, I've always like experimenting with it, most of the stuff is just funny junk, but i did find something fairly useful.

I'm going to assume everyone knows how to moonwalk, if not, check hylian's thread out, its really useful and the video is ubear:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=74013

now, on with the explanation.

Generally when you hold back from the halfcircle and you try to dash back into the forward direction you'll just dash forward as regular.

HOWEVER, if you happen to press forward again after the half circle backwards within the beginning (like the first quarter of a second, right when you begin to travel backwards or just before with CF or Link for example) you will either start your initial dash animation and either travel EXTREMELY slow for a second and slowly build up momentum or actually stop in place for a second and then start to build momentum. It looks as if you are stuck trying to run in place.

A pretty neat thing to do, but the most interesting thing I found is that, unlike with a full moonwalk, you can dash attack out of a stickywalk. Not only that, but every character regardless of moonwalk length can do the same exact kind of stickywalk, where they either stop or go SUPER slow for a second before building momentum again.

You can basically dash in place or practically in place (stickywalk) and then go forward with a dash attack at a normal speed. This is especially useful with characters like Peach and Sheik which have extremely fast and far dash attacks.

Sheik's stickywalk actually has a noticeable change on her dash animation, specifically the angle at which she normally dashes ends up more perpendicular with the ground rather than parallel as she normally dashes, although this seems to change only with sheik, and doesnt affect the stickywalk or the dash attack that might follow.

Its useful as a neat little mindgame, or a stall for your dash attack (also a neat mindgame), or just for fun like some people use moonwalking.

A nifty diagram to help you out if you dont understand the controller movement:

I havent seen this around the forums at all so I thought it'd be a nice thing to tell people/discuss about.

please post comments

master lexington owns

Cort

Apple Head
Stickywalking looks hilarious for the short amount of time it pops out.

*attempts to randomly throw into his Peach game, though just keeping it simple works too*

Samochan

Smash Master
This could work with jc grab and jc attacks too, right? :3 I could imagine a fox player doing sticky walk on marth, like slowing down just before in range of the fsmash, they fsmash, then quick dash into jc usmash or grab. Gotta try this out.

Metà

Smash Master
I've been doing this for a long time. I do this with Y Link as a mindgame (Link sucks, lol, not to offend anyone, but Y link is just way sexier).

Drumma_Boi

Smash Ace
dude i actually started doing this with peach a couple of weeks ago and didnt know what to call it..... figures xif already has been doin it.... xif is to cool for school

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
This is a really awesome technique. I've been using this a lot with Peach lately to change up the tempo and throw off their timing. More people need to see this. :)

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
lol i like it as a mindgame, full speed dash attack out of slow-walk, but i cant do it. people get tripped up over it.

Mr.C

Smash Master
Smiles's peach from Texas is known to do this.

since peach cant moonwalk, you do the monnwalk animation then push forward to stall yourself then dash attack

its pretty tricky

Top Bottom