• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Star Fox Character Discussion Thread (POSSIBLE 4TH CHARACTER?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

This thread is welcome for everyone who wants to discuss anything Star Fox related for the upcoming Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS. Discuss the current veterans, likely and unlikely new comers, current or potential items, move sets or you can submit your own move sets and I'll add it to the OP.

NEW COMER MOVE SETS:

SLIPPY TOAD by Afrodude

"SPECIAL MOVES"
Up B- Booster Pack (Jet Pack):

Activates the booster pack he's wearing. It will allow Slippy to hover around like R.O.B.'s up B but with more horizontal air mobility for a short amount of time, then starts to fall down in a helpless state while spinning around.

Neutral B- Barrier Sphere:

Slippy activates it, which forms a small transparent blue bubble around him. The barrier lasts for 8 seconds, and protects you from projectiles and cuts damage of your opponents attacks in half. You can stop using the barrier by pressing L or R (however you shield) but every time you use it again the barrier's time continues until it runs out. If your opponent walks into it, the result would make your opponent take minor damage (about 4% for every second). Once the barrier runs out it'll take 30 seconds to recharge.

Down B- Container (Credit to gothrax for the ROB 64 idea):

Slippy signals ROB 64 to send him supplies (makes the signal sound as well). It's a 2 second wait (for the signal and the supplies to come) til the container drops from the sky to where you signaled ROB 64. This special allows Slippy to use one random weapon out of the three different weapon classes sent to you: Grenade, Gun, and Launcher. The weapon order is random and you're only able to have one out at a time until it runs out of ammo or explodes (grenade only explodes). Opponents can pick up your weapons and use them the same way you can (like items), as well as throw the guns at your opponent, the ground or in the air. These guns will disappear if you leave them on the ground for too long. The A button would trigger the weapon, similar to throwing a bob-omb or using a super scope and ray gun. Another thing. Depending on what weapon is in the container, it can spike your opponent if it falls on them off stage. So you can run off stage and signal ROB 64 and it'll act as a Pit Fall.

Grenade (2 grenades):

Throws a grenade at opponent. Not counting his Usmash, Slippy can have two grenades out at once on the field.

Machine Gun (40 rounds):

Good for racking up damage but it'll have medium range and weak hit stun (not like Fox's blaster). This move is more like a series of weak mid ranged jabs coming out of a gun.

Homing Launcher (3 rockets):

Shoots a large homing rocket at your opponent (as big as Kirby). Slippy's strongest supplies weapon. There's a 2 second wait in order to fire the next rocket. You have to be a certain range for the rockets to lock on to your opponent, if you are too far it'll just fire horizontally.

Side B- Bull Frog (Credit to gothrax for the idea and name):

Slippy yells "BULL FROG!!" and charges at you. There are two versions of this move

Ground: has Diddy Kong's side B speed and high horizontal knock back. Slippy will slowly fall if used in the air. Bull Frog leaves a bright green aquatic effect trailing him horizontally.

Air: Has the same attributes as the ground version but works like a grab similar to Diddy Kong's side B. Slippy will kick off the opponent, inspired Killer Instinct's Orchid.

"SMASH MOVES"
Fsmash- Wrench:
Does a two handed horizontal swing with his wrench. Whenever you use his Fsmash his range gets a tiny bit longer as the wrench is slipping out of his hands. The longest one would be Slippy throwing his wrench like a boomerang by accident. His Fsmash will be useless until after his wrench returns to him (3 second wait).

Dsmash:
Slippy spins around while shooting his machine gun. If you're up close you can get hit by the machine gun itself. You can move while spinning, similar to using Luigi's down B but more than half the length. This move can follow up with a grab depending on how long Dsmash is held and percentage of opponent. The bullets have a weak hit stun. Dsmash will leave you in a helpless state if using it to move off stage.

Usmash- Grenade Toss:
Tosses a grenade up in the air and it explodes. The longer the charge the higher the toss.

1) If no charge: Slippy will lightly toss the grenade with one hand and it will hit the ground and explode. You'll have time to light toss a grenade and dash away before hurting yourself.

2) Medium charge: Slippy puts a little more force into his toss. The grenade will explode by hitting the ground, but also explode in the air or your opponent by catching it as it's falling. You can move normally with it like an item in your hand while having the option to lightly toss the grenade, a medium throw or fully throw it in several directions (or blow up). You can have three grenades out at once by using side B if you have down B set to it.

3) Full charge: Throws up the bomb and it explodes on impact or in the air.

Tilts & Jab:

Utilt: Does a small hop and stretches his arm upwards with his screwdriver.

Ftilt: Leans forward trying to poke you with his screwdriver.

Dtilt: Does a slow sweep with his wrench.

Jab combo: Swings his wrench with his right hand once, swings it again, then does a continuation of vertical stabs with his screwdriver (left hand) while looking the opposite way, eyes closed.

Dash Attack: King Dedede's dash attack but weaker.

Grabs:

Pummel: Pokes you with his screwdriver.

Up Grab: Lifts you up with his wrench with two hands.

Forward Grab: Kicks you with both feet.

Back Grab: Bear hugs you and falls backwards while tossing you, ends grab with him shooting his blaster at you.

Down Grab: Jumps up and slams you to the ground with his wrench.

Aerials:

Uair: Slippy does a Barrel Roll, holding his wrench with both hands.

Nair: Does two kicks, similar to Ness' Nair from ssb64.

Fair: Similar to DK's ssb64 but slower and does a full front flip while holding his wrench. A weak spike move.

Bair: Stretches left arm backward while poking his opponent with a screw driver.

Dair: Slippy does a quick stomp and spikes the opponent. Reliable kill move.

Taunts:

Up Taunt: Tosses his blaster up in the air like Fox but comes back down and hits him in the head.

Side Taunt: Says "You want a piece of me?" like in SF 64.

Down Taunt: Says "Enemy Shield Analyzed!"

Winner/Loser Animations:

Winner:

1) Puts his hand on his head and reports to base saying "Slippy here, I'm okay!"

2) Starts to dance like his winning animation in SF Assault.

Losing:

His losing animation from SF Assault.

Stage Entrance:

Just like the other Star Fox characters, except he lands on his butt and gets back up.

Final Smash:

Demon Launcher

The Demon Launcher will only have 1 rocket, and the single rocket will have an auto lock like Samus' weaker missiles but faster and does a 1 hit KO to your opponent(s).

PEPPY HARE by Afrodude

Coming Soon...

KRYSTAL by Kuma

SPECIALS

B: Fire Blaster

Krystal shoots a Fireball with small knockback from her staff. However, by holding B, you can hold the charge and have a stronger, in general fireball. The main purpose for this attack is for zoning and scaring your opponent that you’ll shoot a fireball.

Side B: Ice Spray
Shoots a spray of ice from her staff. While Krystal is in any part of the startup or while it’s active, Krystal can adjust her aim. This is used as an anti-air, keep-out attack, or an edge guard move. Over time, the range of the spray decreases. If the spray is done at point blank, however, the opponent will be frozen.

Down B: Quake
Krystal strikes her staff to the ground to create a localized shockwave, there are three “points” where the shockwave will rise. This depends on your directional input. If you hold back during the startup, the shockwave will be close to you, while holding forward goes for max range. Holding just down or neutral lands between the two points. Useful for countering camping, or like the fireball, scaring the opponent. This attack is also jump cancelable. This attack does not work in the air for obvious reasons.

Up B: Rocket Boost
Krystal raises her staff and flies up. Doing straight Up causes her to go up vertically while Up-Left and Up-Right will cause her to travel in those directions. Like’s Snake’s Cipher recovery, Krystal can exit out of the recovery.

GROUND ATTACKS
AAA: Krystal does a forward jab with her staff high, then low, and then does two kicks.
FTilt: Swings her staff downward. A good poke.
DTilt: Krystal crouches and sticks her staff out, this is her best poke.
Up Tilt: Like Pit’s UTiltt, but has two hitboxes. If the opponent is next to you as you hit, the move has more knockback and damage, but the hitbox on the feet has less knockback and damage.
Dash: Does a swipe at the opponent's foot, causing them to trip, but because of the reward, this attack is unsafe at close range.
FSmash: Krystal raises the staff behind her and drops the staff like an axe.
DSmash: Krystal places her staff to the ground, spins around and then does a downward angled double kick to the opponent. This has good horizontal knockback, but poor vertical knockback. This is best used for tech chasing or as an edgeguard.
USmash: Krystal holds her staff like a baseball with the charge going to her staff’s head. She swings upward. Unlike the above attack, this has poor horizontal knockback, but good vertical knockback.
Wakeup Attack: Like AA, but the second hit goes behind her.
Ledge Attack: Climbs and does a quick, weaker version of her FTilt
100% Ledge Attack: Weaker version of her DSmash

AERIALS
Toggle Spoiler NAir: Spins once with her staff horizontally.
FAir: Spins once with her staff vertically. The range, unlike her NAir, goes far in front instead of covering both sides.
BAir: Swings staff horizontally behind her. Has two attacks. First few active frames have good knockback not too far from Zelda's kicks. The rest of the active frames function as a sex kick.
DAir:pokes directly below her.
UAir: Extends her staff 30 degrees upward to the direction she’s facing.

THROWS
Pummel: Knees the opponent.
FThrow: Lunges at them in the stomach.
BThrow: Stomps on their foot, uses the staff to push them behind by their neck moving them behind her, and then kicks them.
DThrow: Tosses them to the ground, does a quick jump and spin of the staff above her, land with her staff hitting the opponent and causing a ground bounce.
UThrow: Punches the opponent and then uses the staff like a shovel to launch the opponent.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Since we've gotten two new Fire Emblem reps which now makes a total of 4 FE characters, what's the possibility of their being a new Star Fox character? I believe is likely due to the fact that every smash game after 64 we've gotten a new SF character. And there's still characters from the series with good move set potential, even if Sakurai has to work from scratch.

Last edited:

Super_Queijo

Smash Apprentice
I'm really rooting for another star fox rep, specially Slippy. I've always imagined that Sakurai would not stay too much alway from the "space animal" formula of nB being a projectile, ^B being a damaging launcher, >B being a dash and vB a reflector. For Slippy, I thought of something along the lines of a flying mine for B, that follows anyone that comes near, ^B something like Pikachu's but slower and easier to control, >B Slippy would do a short multi-hit barrel roll to the side (with a ring like in the games) and vB likes Falco's, but hitting both sides and faster.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
See I'd actually like Krystal more because no one else really uses a staff in Smash. Plus she could take things from Starfox Adventures, like using the rocket staff technique for a chargable vertical recovery. She could also use the grenades from Assault, and has been depicted with a Blaster among other things. I think the way Fox fights in Adventures with the staff could be somewhat adapted to standard A moves, and customizable moves could possibly be entirely different moves due to the variety of applications the staff was used for in that game

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I'm really rooting for another star fox rep, specially Slippy. I've always imagined that Sakurai would not stay too much alway from the "space animal" formula of nB being a projectile, ^B being a damaging launcher, >B being a dash and vB a reflector. For Slippy, I thought of something along the lines of a flying mine for B, that follows anyone that comes near, ^B something like Pikachu's but slower and easier to control, >B Slippy would do a short multi-hit barrel roll to the side (with a ring like in the games) and vB likes Falco's, but hitting both sides and faster.
A flying proximity mine sounds awesome. The Pikachu recovery is an idea I also had but with Falco. I was working on a slight revamp of Falco's move set and I remembered someone gave an idea of a lightning version of Fox's Firefox recovery called the Thunderbird. I guess the thunderbird name fits well due to Miyamoto's inspiration for Star Fox being the Thunderbirds tv show.

See I'd actually like Krystal more because no one else really uses a staff in Smash. Plus she could take things from Starfox Adventures, like using the rocket staff technique for a chargable vertical recovery. She could also use the grenades from Assault, and has been depicted with a Blaster among other things. I think the way Fox fights in Adventures with the staff could be somewhat adapted to standard A moves, and customizable moves could possibly be entirely different moves due to the variety of applications the staff was used for in that game
I would like to see her with a special or final smash that involves calling for a dinosaur for help and attack your opponent (Tricky or Krazoa Palace Pterodactyl). Kind of like Aquaman but with dinosaurs.

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
I'd love me some Slippy. I'd play him regularly just to annoy people. I'm not opposed to any of the other space animals.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Bring on Scalses, even though its pretty much impossible you have to admit you would love playing as a giant lizard with a clawed hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4mzfjmTugU He already looks great in game.
I would main General Scales if he got confirmed. Then we will actually have a star fox villain. I like Wolf but he's not a villain.

What I would want the most for the Star fox reps is being to play the original 4, but that's never going to happen now unless Peppy and Slippy make it into a fan game like Smash Crusade. I even made a move set for a down scaled Andross which was a mix of all his appearances and abilities from past games. I need to go find that now.

For me as far as what the reps should be:

Fox: Main character/leader of SF
Slippy: Best friend of Fox/mechanic & 2nd most important team member
Wolf: Fox's Rival
Andross: main villain

Other option (brace yourself):
- Fox, Slippy, Falco, Peppy playable
- Katt, Bill, Krystal, and Star Wolf team Assist Trophies
- Andross 64 boss fight
- Supply Box skin for Crate item
- Krystal's staff is a new melee item

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
See I'd actually like Krystal more because no one else really uses a staff in Smash.

Anyways, I can see why FE have four reps in Smash, since it is now a very popular series thanks to Awakening. I can see why Pokémon have a lot of reps, same goes for Mario, but Star Fox? Nah. Three reps is more than enough for this series, it isn't that popular and it is not that good of a series either. FOUR reps would be overkill, while more popular and better series like Metroid and Donkey Kong have only one and two reps, respectively. Of course, thankfully for Star Fox fans/supporters I am not the one who decides the roster, so this is just my humble opinion. :p

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman

Anyways, I can see why FE have four reps in Smash, since it is now a very popular series thanks to Awakening. I can see why Pokémon have a lot of reps, same goes for Mario, but Star Fox? Nah. Three reps is more than enough for this series, it isn't that popular and it is not that good of a series either. FOUR reps would be overkill, while more popular and better series like Metroid and Donkey Kong have only one and two reps, respectively. Of course, thankfully for Star Fox fans/supporters I am not the one who decides the roster, so this is just my humble opinion. :p
Fire Emblem isn't that popular in America really, most don't know who any of those character are other than just the name cause of this forum. I do agree Star Fox may have gone downhill after 64 but it still had popularity, it hasn't had a game since 06 I think but when the Wii U starfox game was announced it was one of the biggest announcements. I also agree DK and Metroid series need more reps though, bring on Ridley and K Rool.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I think we should worry about the two existing starfox reps who haven't made an appearance before we speculate that there will be a fourth.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I think we should worry about the two existing starfox reps who haven't made an appearance before we speculate that there will be a fourth.
True. I'm mostly concerned with how Falco will turn out because there's nothing interesting about him except he fights like a flashier Fox. He started out as a clone in Melee and probably wouldn't have made it into smash until Brawl if it wasn't for Wolf. Wolf was going to be in Melee first until Sakurai thought Wolf would end up looking like a reskin of Fox with his own slot. Oh the ironing.:4lucina:

Then there's custom moves for Falco. I'm actually interested in how Fox, Falco, and Wolf's custom moves are going to turn out. Will Fox be able to charge his Blaster now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom