• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Bans for Lucario

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
Ay guys.

Quick question, what stages do you ban when you're playing in a competitive match when you're Lucario? I never really have a preference, but I was wondering if you had any stages you always ban and why. Usually I'll just ban Yoshi's Island and Story, and then the last stage depends on the character I'm playing.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
i usually ban PS1, lylat if i think theres any chance of them picking it, and yoshi's story, and maybe fountain of dreams (i hate the moving platforms, they mess up my cancels) if i can. i like yoshi's island because i can attack the shy guys to get some aura but the tilting platform is sort of annoying sometimes

ps1 is just personal preference, i can't stand the transformations, and lylat is ass for sweet-spotting the ledge.

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
See, idk, I never really have trouble generating aura, I never find myself wishing I had aura in any given situation cuz I usually have it, and I hate the tilting platform, so I don't even knoooow. Lylat is ****.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
i tend to be very liberal with my aura use so the shy guys come in handy, lol. it is dishonourable to die with a charge :p

Risky

Smash Ace
If you don't always want charge you should be trying to use more charge in your gameplay. I ban Yoshi's Story always because it's so easy to SD while offstage if you whiff, and DL64 since it's so hard to kill with Nair. After that it's matchup dependent.

These are your bans, what are your counters? I really like Warioware as the small blast zones on the side allow for easy kills and the platforms are very good for wavedashing out of confirmed usmashes. I think the flat stages are conducive to Lucario's neutral game so I won't ban FD, Green Hill, Smashville etc.

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
oh i use lots of aura is what i mean, if you were talking to me lol

WW is a good stage. i also like rumble falls if its legal, or metal cavern is my special favourite for some reason. but both of those are rarely legal so i dont get to pick them much. legal stages, dreamland is great for recovery but harder to kill on unless i get a gimp. i would take easily gimped/ledge hogged characters there, like spacies or sheik.

AkashSky

Smash Apprentice
I usually ban yoshi's story cause i die really fast there, after that I usually ban lylat because sweetspotting edge isn't something thats feasible

EDit:

However, if you can sweet spot lylat edge, its a wonderful stage space-wise. I think that lucario needs a lot of space to move around so all the small maps are kinda bad for him.

So if you get 3 bans, I would probably ban Wario-ware, Yoshi-story, and greenhillzone.

Anyone disagree and think that any of the smaller stages are better for lucario?

Last edited:

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
I ban yoshi's island. Those fly guys troll the spirit bomb sometimes.

Honestly I dont mind Yoshi's story too much cause a quick combo into smash at like 50-60% can kill. And a punishing bad platform techs with Nair can give u a quick kill too.

I typically ban FD. No platforms for combo extension kind of hurts and i think its just too good for projectile heavy fighters.
I ban sky loft too. I dont like the stairs messing with the combos either but its not too terrible of a stage.

Something I'll ban lyatt but depends who i am fighting. I think lucario doesnt get too hurt by lyatt compared to some other people so i keep it.

And just personal preference I dislike PS1 so i ban that

Bane13

Smash Rookie
Personally, I love YS and WW. I'll honestly pick these no matter who I'm fighting. The tiny space is great for controlling where your opponent isn't safe, and the tight blast zones make a lot more of Lucario's moves viable to kill at much lower percentages.

As for bans, Lylat is definitely at the top of my list. It's the one stage I can't recover safely without burning aura, against a lot of characters the platform placement can be a pain, and the blast zones are farther out than I like. Dreamland is another ban unless going against easily gimped characters/ones with bad recovery. Besides those, I suppose it depends on the MU or preference. FoD and YI are typically the others I like to ban.

BFlake

Smash Rookie
I feel WW, YS, YI, and GHZ are some of the better picks for Lucario because of the potential to kill off the sides and all those stages' sides all continue to the blast zones so you can wall jump easily and increase your options on ledge recoveries/shenanigans.

Large stages are Lucario's nightmare: DL, SW, The PS stages because the opponent will more likely live to a higher percent and that makes it more difficult for Lucario to link his combos or kill with Nair, Fsmash, and Uair well.

And the medium inbetween stages like LC, BF, SV, FD and FoD are great for MU bans and picks because I feel they're not too beneficial or detrimental to Lucario except in certain MUs.

Top Bottom