• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stacking up Against the Competition: Vote for Mahjong Tile as an Original Smash Fighter!

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
MahjongTiles.png

What are mahjong tiles you ask? They are tiles of Chinese origin that are used to play mahjong as well as mahjong solitaire and other games. Although they are most commonly tiles, they may also refer to playing cards with similar contents as well.

Yakuman.png

Now you may be wondering. What on earth does a mahjong tile have to do with Nintendo? Well... there was a Japan-only game called Yakuman developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo for its handheld Game Boy system. A sequel for the Nintendo DS was released later called Yakuman DS. Yakuman is the name of the winning hand in the Chinese board game, mahjong. Players have to beat the opponent's hand by either matching panels of different numbers within the same family or by grouping panels that belong to the same family in different numbers. The options to turn off the background music for the game and to manipulate the difficulty of the game's artificial intelligence can be found on the main menu. Players have a choice of five opponents to play with; four male and one female.
In addition, there was a game released earlier for the Famicom called Mahjong. Mahjong is a video game for the Famicom that was released exclusively in Japan. It is based on the Japanese version of the Chinese board game known as Mahjong, which is commonly known as Reach Mahjong. The game allows for two players to play at once, which is two less than the normal Mahjong game. Interestingly, the game was included exclusively in the Japanese version of the GameCube game Animal Crossing. While Mahjong wasn't released elsewhere around the world (excluding Hong Kong, which featured an English manual), other future games that included Mahjong were released in America and Europe such as Clubhouse Games.

Why should Mahjong Tile be considered as a Smash fighter? Here are some reasons:
  • It would be unique! Let's be real. There are no characters in Smash Bros. that fulfill the quota of being a tile-based fighter. Mahjong Tile could flip, spin, and stack its way to victory!
  • Mahjong Tile is still relevant. As you may already know, Super Mario Maker was just recently released, and there are 100 different costumes that can be "worn". Guess what one of those costumes is... That's right! Mahjong Tile!
  • It would let people have more insight into Nintendo's rich past from before they made video games.

Now here are some arguments against Mahjong Tile and my responses to them:

• It would be too random!
This did not stop Wii Fit Trainer, Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B. from being added.
  • It's literally just an object! How would it even be a fighter?!
R.O.B. is also an object and not a video game character. Enough said.

Here's a sample of Mahjong Tile's move set:
Neutral Special: Duplicate (Mahjong Tile makes a copy of itself. The copy temporarily attacks opponents. Only one copy can be spawned at a time.)

Side Special: Growing Slide (Mahjong Tile slides across the ground or platform and grows in size while shoving the opponent and dealing damage.)

Down Special: Flatten (Mahjong Tile "leaps" into the air and slams down on the opponent, flattening him/her/it which leaves the foe temporarily paralyzed.)

Up Special: Tile Chain (Mahjong Tile separates into smaller tiles and forms a link which moves towards its target and deals a small amount of damage. This can also be used as a recovery move.)

Final Smash: Hanafuda Rain (Many Hanafuda cards are summoned in the sky which move in random directions at random speeds, dealing massive damage to any opponents.)
MahjongTiles.png
MahjongTiles.png

Show your allegiance and provide Mahjong Tile with your support!

Attachments

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Can't believe I'm saying this, but I support. Of all the few good options of "hardware reps" we have, not a single person really thought of a Mahjong Tile before and it's at least a video game character on a Nintendo IP unlike a certain yellow kangaroo. I'm sure that the usage of tile ordering and other strategies would make for a great gimmick for this thing. I'm even tempted enough to buy Super Mario Maker just to play as it.

Still surprised a mahjong based manga haven't been on Weekly Shonen Jump yet.

Last edited:

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe this is actually a thing! I first saw the title, and I thought to myself, "What IDIOT thought this up?!" But, much to my surprise -- this is actually a convincing argument. Count me in -- I would love to see this become something big. Something as unique as this is truly a gem, and stands out as a unique idea among the loads of bandwagoners.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
The line has to be drawn somewhere.

I'm of the mind that some people on this site will literally support anything for Smash.

Edit: I can already see Mahjong Tile being rated on RTC...

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Edit: I can already see Mahjong Tile being rated on RTC...
Yep, someone already nominated it because of its playable appearance in Super Mario Maker. That day will indeed be as chaotic as how Mini Kangaroo and Hanafuda's day went. :laugh:

Top Bottom