• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something Ive noticed about Lucas

lil cj

Smash Lord
I know there is a debate whether or not you should b-stick or c-stick with Lucas.
These are the things Ive noticed...

When u c-stick with Lucas it just seems like you have so much more freedom and the air attacks just seem so much more easier to execute and more spammable, kinda like using Wario in the air. With b-sticking, Lucas seems more defensive(wave bouncing pk fire) but he also seems restricted(air attacks, etc.),it just feels strange at first til you get the hang of it, but when master it, Lucas if a defensive beast!!!

With c-sticking more combo opportunities are easier, like after you use a SH nair u can just bash the c stick and get an easy smash in. Whereas when your b-sticking and do the SH nair you try to do those same combos u end up doing a tilt attack instead( this happens to me 90% of the time)

I hope Im right about this....its a start
Idk...can we discuss this:)

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
There have been a lot of debates about this but in the end, it really just boils down to how you play Lucas... I play more offensively so I use c-sticking even though I don't get as much wave bounce. However, I do find that not b-sticking makes my zap jump have a lot less use for recovery since there is no wavebounce to aid horizontal recover that I could use to do a strong magnet pull. Instead, I get a magnet pull that goes about one character length... I have a question though.

On average when versing hard characters, is it better to fight defensively or is Lucas's offense better? If someone can clearly answer this, this might help us to determine if we should B-stick or not.

GimmeAnFSharp

Smash Journeyman
Idk...can we discuss this:)
No, actually. It's been discussed. Everywhere. There's a recent thread up somewhere else in the Lucas forums, one up in ZSS regarding the same thing, and one in Brawl Tactical discussion.

Use search a bit more please- or heck, just take a glance at a page. With so many options, I shouldn't have to link it.

Edit: Actually, it's not even 4 threads below this one. I was the last one to post in that one, too.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
C-stick wins. More aerial control. PK Fire only gets you so far. Magnet pull is not really necesary, Lucas doesn't have that much trouble getting back to the stage. Zap jump can be just as easily done without B-stick. You ought to be able to space PK Fire just as well without B-sticking as you can with it. It's really not that hard. These are my personal conclusions.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I play offensively as Olimar.(a defensive beast) That should give you a clue to how I'd play as everyone else. :)

For that reason, I play offensively as lucas. I NEED my c-stick controls to do this well. My style is very unique. I watched some of levitas' vids and realized that I play a totally different character than he does. By having the c-stick set to smashes, it's much easier to get that slide after doing an SHaerial in order to get my fsmash to slide. I like to SH around my opponent (directly over their bodies) and watch what kind of moves they counter with. I'll retreat afterwards using retreating nairs/fairs>fsmash/pkfire to deter people from following up my empty SHs. I'll use that knowledge to plan a way to get inside of their defense. It's fun actually. If I see that they just try to jab at me without accounting for my aerial presence, that tells me that their aerial defense needs some more work, or that they aren't being mobile enough to feel comfortable by retaliating with their own aerials . I'll use that to my advantage, and FHdair>dtilt>fsmash, grab their stationary bodies or something else that'll take their weakness into account. The thing about the b-sticking is that you don't have the kind of aerial control you need to do that^. It's what my lucas gameplay revolves around, and I couldn't do without it.

lil cj

Smash Lord
I play offensively as Olimar.(a defensive beast) That should give you a clue to how I'd play as everyone else. :)

For that reason, I play offensively as lucas. I NEED my c-stick controls to do this well. My style is very unique. I watched some of levitas' vids and realized that I play a totally different character than he does. By having the c-stick set to smashes, it's much easier to get that slide after doing an SHaerial in order to get my fsmash to slide. I like to SH around my opponent (directly over their bodies) and watch what kind of moves they counter with. I'll retreat afterwards using retreating nairs/fairs>fsmash/pkfire to deter people from following up my empty SHs. I'll use that knowledge to plan a way to get inside of their defense. It's fun actually. If I see that they just try to jab at me without accounting for my aerial presence, that tells me that their aerial defense needs some more work, or that they aren't being mobile enough to feel comfortable by retaliating with their own aerials . I'll use that to my advantage, and FHdair>dtilt>fsmash, grab their stationary bodies or something else that'll take their weakness into account. The thing about the b-sticking is that you don't have the kind of aerial control you need to do that^. It's what my lucas gameplay revolves around, and I couldn't do without it.
I see what your saying, its all about whats comfortable for you and even though a character is meant to be played a certain way its all about what works for u and helps u win
I get it:)
Thanks

lil cj

Smash Lord
There have been a lot of debates about this but in the end, it really just boils down to how you play Lucas... I play more offensively so I use c-sticking even though I don't get as much wave bounce. However, I do find that not b-sticking makes my zap jump have a lot less use for recovery since there is no wavebounce to aid horizontal recover that I could use to do a strong magnet pull. Instead, I get a magnet pull that goes about one character length... I have a question though.

On average when versing hard characters, is it better to fight defensively or is Lucas's offense better? If someone can clearly answer this, this might help us to determine if we should B-stick or not.

IMO I think Lucas is better offensively b/c he has a wide range of combos and fights splendidly (words of Smash Bros. Dojo) his only defensive moves are his projectiles used for camping and spacing...lets compare him to other defensive characters Zelda and Olimar, see both of them dont have good approaches and have more moves to defend themselves if an opponent comes near them(ex. Zelda's neutral b/down smash and Olimars down smash/Forward smash) Lucas has some good approaches(Nair, Bair, Fair) and he can out prioritize some of the characters with his flashy fighting style. IMO he is one of the best in the game and one of the coolest characters to play. He is so innocent yet so deadly.

Top Bottom