• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

some small lucas tips

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
most of you may know a lot of these, but i'm just saying ti anyway.

relatively smaller tips​

the abilty to reflect projectiles.

some of you know this. but some may not. lucas and ness can both reflect projectiles, much like fox's relector shield. this can come in extreme handy when faced against the little fireball that goes around the stage. (if it gets too big, though, you may have more difficulty doing this) timing is everything. try to get the edge of the stick (OR BAT for ness) at the item. you can also reflect charged beams if you time it right.( although you might want to use psi magnet) you can also hit a rocket from snake back to him. :) finally a good way to stop that perky trick.

one other small tip.

if you're playing as lucas agaijnst another lucas or ness, i find it usefull to put up psi magnet first thing. a lot of players like to start off the match with the pk fire move. if you dont want to get some early damage, this might work for you.

one other tip.

much like link, toon link, zero-suit, and sheik, (and others i forgot to name) the lengthy grapple snake type thing can be used to grab onto a ledge. (although you must tile the control stick in the direction of the snake. up, left, right, maybe down.) just be sure you are within range. to get a feel for this, you might want to go to practice or mess around on practice stage while on an online brawl. this can come in handy if someone is ledgekeeping and thinks they timed it right. you stay at a distance, but make it back. WOOHOO!!!!

also...

i don't recommend using pk fire or freeze too much. some use it as a lifeline. i have a friend who sometimes plays cheap with pk fire. anyway, use pk thunder sparingly as well. if you ar esome distance away, you might try and combo the othe rguy and ram through him with the pk thunder. if he is at a high damage, you can kill him. (just be sure you are withing range of the stage. don't go flying off. this is especially the time to be careful when fighting on final destination. i've seen and experienced the certain death from killing someone else, yet dying yourself. this is kinda like fox's, falco's, and wolf's dash thing. you can kill yourself quite often. other stages you need to be careful of are the shorter ones, like smashville and bqattlefield.

and when it comes to the rest...

be sure to have lots of experience using pk thunder to try and get yourself back to stage. miscalculation kills. and it really sucks if you get messed up because of lag, right? don't get yourself caught in a predicament 2where you need to get back up but your pk thunder will die. this is especially true on yoshis island, green hill, sometimes new pork city, and others i forgot.

some stage help.

i loathe playing in skyworld. if you get knocked down and the platforms reform, you're screwed. but with lucas, if it works, his combo pk thunder can break through it, and LEAD YOU TO FREEDOM!!!

Levitas

the moon
You don't need to tilt the stick in the ledge's direction for the rope snake.

PK freeze is bad and unreliable. PK fire is less bad and useful.

A lot of the stages you mentioned aren't used in tournaments because of issues like what you mentioned with skyworld.

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
...like i said, use some sparingly. and it helps me personally to tilt with the rope snake. and not all battles have to be online, right? so...those stages could get picked anytime else.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
huh? are you saying that you play on stages like new pork city? lol... and you think you can beat me... HA

NeoZero

Smash Apprentice
All of what lilinuyasha said was general knowledge to most people who has played lucas before; everyone knows what you said, and their are guides on these boards that provide not only what you said, but are also based to help those who want to have a competition-level lucas.

Also, they word and organise what they say better then you do, making it much easier to understand... they also make it look spiffy too (woot for Tyr!!!!).

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
huh? are you saying that you play on stages like new pork city? lol... and you think you can beat me... HA

and what do you mean by that? i random stages with some of my friends. so...it gets picked. otherwise, i typically go final destination.

well i just thought i'd post something, so...sorry if tyr does it better, but you know...i felt i had to do something. as for the composition, i'm sorry i dont have the precocious writing style tyr may obtain. i fully apologize.

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
and how do i delete one of my comments? like this one? i didn't see the delete, and i know that i need to get all i say in one edit...so...where is it?

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
and what do you mean by that? i random stages with some of my friends. so...it gets picked. otherwise, i typically go final destination.

well i just thought i'd post something, so...sorry if tyr does it better, but you know...i felt i had to do something. as for the composition, i'm sorry i dont have the precocious writing style tyr may obtain. i fully apologize.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
as far as double posting, you aren't going to get any infraction points for an accidental double post. Hell, smashboards ****s up and will occasionally post 2 or 3 of the same post in a row (it used to happen all the time, but I think they fixed it mostly). If you double post, just erase your info from one of the posts, put it on the other one, and write something along the lines of "double post" and you are free to add words such as "sorry", "oops", "******* ****", or anything else in there.

themrskills

Smash Apprentice
As far as your recommendation to not use pk fire, that sounds like a bad idea. I'm pretty sure that pk fire is the basic platform that pretty much most of lucas's awesomeness comes from. If you spam it, then yeah, your opponent is going to punish you. Using it right gives you a lot of options in terms of offensive and defensive play, plus it plays the critical role in two of lucas's recovery techniques, the zap jump and the magnet pull.

lilinuyasha

Smash Apprentice
NNID
lilinuyasha
yes, i understand that, but using pk fire too much is what i was getting at. not as a lifeline, you know? and i can't do the zap jump. i've seen it done, but i can't soo it...can you do it on the gamecube controller?

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
yes, i understand that, but using pk fire too much is what i was getting at. not as a lifeline, you know? and i can't do the zap jump. i've seen it done, but i can't soo it...can you do it on the gamecube controller?
I set z to jump in order to zap jump easier. To me it is a ton more effective to use then the recovery claw

Top Bottom