• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... is zelda viable?

darkatma

Smash Hero
Because melee zelda was one of my most enjoyable characters. Removing many of her spacing mechanisms - foxtrotting mainly, as well as making her kick sweetspot radius smaller (and higher) with massive lag upon shield impact - really made me not wanna play zelda

or brawl, for that matter.
however, since I need to start picking up brawl, and midwest has no good snakes, is zelda viable?

darkatma

Smash Hero
talking about attacking out of the dash dance/foxtrot
in that vid he's doing fsmash and dash attack from it
in melee from any dash dance or foxtrot i can do any attack.
meaning yes i have amazing pivoting skills :p

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
More overall power with Din's, ^Smash and various other stuff should make you want to play Zelda... SO much better now ><

S2

Smash Lord
Zelda is extremely viable. So is Sheik.

Oddly, most character rankings put both of them very low. Which is strange, since individually they are both underestimated. Sheik while nerfed still has tilt-locks, needlegame, etc. while most of Zelda's matchups are at least neutral if not favored. Together they have only a few bad matchups, which can be overcome with play experience.

So yeah, Zelda is viable.

She's not popular though. Even though she's good, she always seems to be listed worse than she is because a lot of people just don't play her. Why do Zelda's not place well? Probably because there aren't a lot of Zelda's at tournaments. I've been going to tourney's in Socal, which is a pretty big tourney scene and I know of only 1 other guy who mains Zelda... who I've never even seen at a tourney.

Maybe that'll change eventually. Sheik is being put as low tier, but lately Sheik's have been doing well and more people have been getting interested in her (and it seems that Sheik players often eventually learn Zelda as well, so good for us too).

Zelda+Sheik= very viable and massively underestimated.

D

Deleted member

Because melee zelda was one of my most enjoyable characters. Removing many of her spacing mechanisms - foxtrotting mainly, as well as making her kick sweetspot radius smaller (and higher) with massive lag upon shield impact - really made me not wanna play zelda

or brawl, for that matter.
however, since I need to start picking up brawl, and midwest has no good snakes, is zelda viable?
um....obviously you've never heard of karmacide lol

yes zelda is viable for tournaments because she is **** if used correctly.

goodkid

Smash Lord
lol, how does midwest with no good snakes have anything to do with Zelda?

Zelda is viable, as S2 says, I wouldn't say she has a large advantage over any char, and she has to work just as hard as any char. Lightning Kick is more situational this time around, but is good & kills at lower percents. Foxtrotting & Shutter Stepping F-Smash works well.

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman

Onxy

Smash Lord
Someone as beautiful as Zelda is nothing but viable!

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
^ Especially the black dress... Who can resist that neon trim? D:

darkatma

Smash Hero
lol Zelda can own a snake if played right.

Zelda is very viable, i've been playing her and sheik since melee, and she's much more viable now than ever. The toe while being harder to hit, isn't much of a problem once you learn the timing and such,

check these out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcD_fhZNk7E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUIEKq3Vhkw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtT1BAGBa50

these are the three best zelda players i know of. so i would say she is VERY Viaible
haha
Poor song choice =/
When i hear that song I am immediately reminded of Superdoodleman's vid Perfect Control 2,
which really showcases melee.
edit: Okay i hella forgive you for the poor song choice because your credits song is based of FF6 Terra's theme, which is one of the most amazing themes ever.

uhm pretty cool i guess. and good snakes own zelda. I guess i'll pick up zelda again.
just that my melee zelda looks a lot funner and more finite than them brawl zeldas..
whatevs

BTW
i hope you guys realize by now
smash DIing up on zelda's upsmash allows people to escape
Smash DIing any direction other than 'in' allows you to escape zelda's fsmash.

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
haha
Poor song choice =/
When i hear that song I am immediately reminded of Superdoodleman's vid Perfect Control 2,
edit: Okay i hella forgive you for the poor song choice because your credits song is based of FF6 Terra's theme, which is one of the most amazing themes ever.

uhm pretty cool i guess. and good snakes own zelda. I guess i'll pick up zelda again.
just that my melee zelda looks a lot funner and more finite than them brawl zeldas..
whatevs

BTW
i hope you guys realize by now
smash DIing up on zelda's upsmash allows people to escape
Smash DIing any direction other than 'in' allows you to escape zelda's fsmash.

ARE YOU FREAKIN SERIOUS!?

I did not even know that, i didn't watch many combo vids from melee and i thought i had checked em all before i did mine, plus i picked that song cause its like my theme song. god **** it.

Keep this a secret from everyone ok?

btw you can only smash DI the upsmash if they are on the very tip of it, otherwise it inescapable.

The matchup between Snake and Zelda is Neutral, a good zelda that knows snake well can take down a snake pretty well.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Zelda is definitely viable, in my first 2 tournaments ever, I've placed 4th of 64 and 3rd in a team tourney of 32 down in Tampa. No one really uses Zelda/Sheik so everyone I played that hasn't played me before underestimates so badly. Many, many more situational kills for Zelda, so Sheik builds the damage so I can have a fresh Zelda ready to close the round.

Villi

Smash Lord
I think Zelda is viable. Smash DI on the USmash is something I really need to spend a minute figuring out with another person, cause it is difficult. Smash DIing Fsmash still requires a degree of prediction or superior reflexes. Even so, her tilts and dsmash are still lovely and useable.

If you know where your sweetspots are, you can find openings for them. They'll be there whether they try to avoid the spaces or not. Zelda is brutal and has way more going for her than her smashes. She might not have an extremely aggressive approach but it's safe enough especially with her top notch air dodge and neutral B.

Matchups that just don't go in Zelda's favor are usually circumventable with Sheik who just keeps getting better and better.

I think Zelda can go far. She might have some tough matchups that will force you to adjust your playstyle for another character, but she doesn't have any hopeless ones.

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
I think Zelda is viable. Smash DI on the USmash is something I really need to spend a minute figuring out with another person, cause it is difficult. Smash DIing Fsmash still requires a degree of prediction or superior reflexes. Even so, her tilts and dsmash are still lovely and useable.

If you know where your sweetspots are, you can find openings for them. They'll be there whether they try to avoid the spaces or not. Zelda is brutal and has way more going for her than her smashes. She might not have an extremely aggressive approach but it's safe enough especially with her top notch air dodge and neutral B.

Matchups that just don't go in Zelda's favor are usually circumventable with Sheik who just keeps getting better and better.

I think Zelda can go far. She might have some tough matchups that will force you to adjust your playstyle for another character, but she doesn't have any hopeless ones.
This

Her aerials are the real kill moves you should be shooting for, i use my smashes to rack up damage and then kill with a tilt or aerial. Its the best way to do it. I recently picked up shiek to cover my bases as well, she really helps me against the characters i have trouble with, there's a reason why they are two charcters people!

I agree with you that Zelda can go far, she just takes determination and practice, and im glad im maining her, not to mention she's a blast to play as ^_^

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Zelda doesn't have the tourney results to back her up... I'm pinning it on the fact that she's WOEFULLY underplayed, but I belive she's still viable.

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
haha
Poor song choice =/
The music in the first video reminded me of this video, which really, REALLY showcases Melee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6viaa76cAo

And Zelda is actually a good character in Brawl. Basically all of her attacks got a buff and the Fair/Bair are just slightly harder to hit with (nothing like Falcon's Knee). Her Dtilt combos slightly, her Utilt, Uair, Usmash all kill at MUCH lower percentages and even her Dair is much better.

I played Zelda a lot in Melee and thought she was one of the funnest characters to play. And the only real thing I've realized is that Zelda has changed from being an almost exclusively aerial character in Melee to a much more grounded character in Brawl.

I really don't think you'll be dissappointed with how Zelda has changed. Just give her a chance.

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
**** yeah. Both Zelda and Sheik are. They are great characters, they're not the most populars (another advantage imo..) AND they aren't the most broken...

Is Zelda viable: yes... but play her just if you like Zelda's style.

You can be lethally unpredictable with them;
<3 Zeldina's awesome style and obvious improvement
<3 Sheikita's ninja edge, edgehogging and gimping game, the ****ing needles, and ftilt lock
<3 Transform; making this character what it is

<3 Zelda's fair, bair dair are the nicest moves to watch in brawl; with the time-stop animation and Zelda's dair which is the third strongest spike in brawl =O and obviously uair is the move you can count on to get easy KOs
<3 Zelda's usmash, dsmash, fsmash
<3 Zelda's dtilt lol, utilt
<3 Zelda's dthrow <3 <3 <3 nice animation too
<3 Zelda's ********
<3 Nayru's love is great to put ppl in front of you no matter how you hit them
<3 Nayru's love also piss off Samus and all those who try to shoot ******** at you
<3 Farore's wind, that is one of the greatest thing that happened to Zelda... I mean you can hit twice in one hit, you can travel fair distances, you can use it to switch strategies in a match... I love Farore's wind.
<3 Zelda's taunts, even though that's not the topic.. her waving goodbye is just soooo mean... after a 2-hit ko by fair+dair that oughta hurt

<3 Sheik's usmash***, dsmash, fsmash all great moves
<3 Sheik's ftilt***, utilt, dtilt
<3 Sheik's uair, bair, nair, fair
<3 Sheik's dair fast manoeuvrability for mindgames
<3 Sheik's vanish !!! thx for the buff. I liked to use it as Melee Sheik
<3 Sheik's dthrow
<3 Sheik's needles of course.. 18% of easy damage
<3 Sheik's chain, oh man that thing can hurt now
<3 Sheik's high manoeuvrability
<3 Sheik's ponytail ! Lolz ponytails FTW

EDIT: Sorry for the Zeldina, Sheikita thing...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
isn't every character viable?
Viable meaning that you don't have a freakishly small chance of winning a tournament. So far, the only characters that I think that are considered "unviable" are Yoshi, Jigglypuff, and Captain Falcon. Once an offical tier list comes out, this list will probably grow by 6-7 characters.

Somacruz2

Smash Journeyman
Viable meaning that you don't have a freakishly small chance of winning a tournament. So far, the only characters that I think that are considered "unviable" are Yoshi, Jigglypuff, and Captain Falcon. Once an offical tier list comes out, this list will probably grow by 6-7 characters.

i beg to differ about Yoshi

TKD

Smash Lord
Zelda is one of the coolest characters in the game to play as. Cool to play as doesn't win you tournaments, but her matchups aren't bad for what I hear.

If you're having trouble because Zelda's so stiff, you can play as both Sheik and Zelda during each stock. I play as Sheik until my opponent is at 80%+, then knock them away and fullhop outside the stage+ downB. You come back by airhopping and grabbing the edge. It may take for your opponent to receive an upair for them to leave you alone though, which would make you return with upB.

So I KO as Zelda. Transforming back into Sheik is even simpler. Just take advantage by transforming during your opponent's KO animation.

Sheik's not powerful. She falls quickly though, and has a great dashgrab, so along with her having a tiltlock and a high priority upair, you should be able to do fine.

I'm not sure Zelda even needs a secondary. She's already two characters. She probably does though lol

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Zelda is the most improved character by far, she is very viable to win tournaments, she has great matchups, and for her bad ones you can switch to sheik if it is needed.

Also every character is viable to win, except captain falcon, bcuz he isn't in brawl

Ryan Hammoutene

Smash Rookie
Zelda is the most improved character by far, she is very viable to win tournaments, she has great matchups, and for her bad ones you can switch to sheik if it is needed.

Also every character is viable to win, except captain falcon, bcuz he isn't in brawl
Firstly, i agree with you, secondly, YES! FINALLY A NESS MAIN!!!

Top Bottom