• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Solid Snake for Smash DLC thread! Such a lust for Smash news....WHOOOOOOOO?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Sakurai said that no cuts had been made a while back, that's pretty much a guarantee for Snake, so he's in regardless.

That being said, I've got a feeling that we'll be seeing the soldier of fortune sooner than most think.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
For our sake I hope your right. Because if hes not in every stooge who made up a reason for his exclusion will think that they were right in thinking that.
If Sakurai really meant that, then Snake is a lock.

Thinking about it, "no one has been cut so far" could mean "everyone is at least planned" in some form. If he's already planning on Snake returning, he's already gone through the licensing for him, and with that done, only something really major would stop Snake from getting in. So now I'm just assuming Snake is in.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
If Sakurai really meant that, then Snake is a lock.

Thinking about it, "no one has been cut so far" could mean "everyone is at least planned" in some form. If he's already planning on Snake returning, he's already gone through the licensing for him, and with that done, only something really major would stop Snake from getting in. So now I'm just assuming Snake is in.
Snake is just meh to me. He doesn't fit with the Nintendo All-Stars, not like Sonic did, and he feels kinda awkward.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Snake is just meh to me. He doesn't fit with the Nintendo All-Stars, not like Sonic did, and he feels kinda awkward.
He fit in just fine, saying Snake didn't fit in is like saying Samus doesn't fit in.

And a very small minority aren't going to affect anything, he'll be in whether you think he's "meh" or not. Just like he was in Brawl.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
He fit in just fine, saying Snake didn't fit in is like saying Samus doesn't fit in.

And a very small minority aren't going to affect anything, he'll be in whether you think he's "meh" or not. Just like he was in Brawl.
Well, no need to be a ****. I have an opinion, and I will share it. I comes with being a smart-ass. I also don't like Dixie, or Palutena, or Takamaru. Shoot me. Snake had a single game, that Kojima didn't even want to port, on the GC, and even though it turned out cool, and I like Snake's character, he just strikes me as more of a Playstation character. If you had told me Konami was getting a rep in Brawl, I would've said it was Simon Bellmont instantly. And I would love for him to appear, simply because he strikes me as the more mature side of Nintendo's history.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Well, no need to be a ****. I have an opinion, and I will share it. I comes with being a smart-***. I also don't like Dixie, or Palutena, or Takamaru. Shoot me. Snake had a single game, that Kojima didn't even want to port, on the GC, and even though it turned out cool, and I like Snake's character, he just strikes me as more of a Playstation character. If you had told me Konami was getting a rep in Brawl, I would've said it was Simon Bellmont instantly. And I would love for him to appear, simply because he strikes me as the more mature side of Nintendo's history.
I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just telling you that it's a bit meaningless to go into Snake's own thread and talk bad about him. That's a bit dickish in itself actually.

And it seems you don't know, just under half of the MGS games made have been on Nintendo consoles, counting ports obviously. Even the very first game was on the NES, so Snake surely is a classic character, and he's definitely not a "Sony guy." It's also false that Kojima doesn't want anything to do with Nintendo, he's even said that he doesn't want to just port MGSV over to the Wii U because he would prefer to make full use of the Gamepad, and I'd expect he'll make a full game that's exclusive to the Wii U eventually, MGS or not. Regardless, the whole point of third parties is that they aren't Nintendo, so in that regard, Snake fits in perfectly.

I don't know what Dixie, Palutena, or Takamaru even have to do with Snake either, you sound like you're just randomly attacking characters now.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I'm disappointed that we won't even see phantom pain on Wii u, but i hope there'll be future metal gears that take advantage of the gamepad's functions. (it'll probably just be a soliton radar though)
Regarding snake's chances, i'd say he's pretty much a shoe in considering what people have already said in this thread and the fact that he's pretty much one of the most unique characters in the game.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Not attacking, just throwing out popular characters I don't like. It's not that I hate Snake, it's just... he took what could've been a spot for another Nintendo character in a Nintendo brawler, like Mewtwo, or Roy, or Plusle and Minun, or even a character that wasn't in the Forbidden 7, like Krystal or Sukapon. If he gets in, I'll stop being a ***** about it.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Sonic's more to blame for Mewtwo's or Roy's absence than Snake, ironically, the latter of whom was added much earlier in development.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not attacking, just throwing out popular characters I don't like. It's not that I hate Snake, it's just... he took what could've been a spot for another Nintendo character in a Nintendo brawler, like Mewtwo, or Roy, or Plusle and Minun, or even a character that wasn't in the Forbidden 7, like Krystal or Sukapon. If he gets in, I'll stop being a ***** about it.
Snake didn't "take" anyone's spot. Kojima asked Sakurai about it, Sakurai thought it was a good idea, and included him in the game. No character was explicitly cut to let Snake in the game. Most of the Forbidden Seven (with the exceptions of Mewtwo and Dixie) consisted of clones, anyways, and personally, I'd rather see a completely unique character like Snake than Roy or Dr. Mario.

Also, I don't get why people feel like this has to be a Nintendo-only game. The franchise has been about celebrating Nintendo's history, and third parties have always been a part of that history. Adding three or four characters who aren't from Nintendo (though they're all major players in the gaming industry), out of a forty or fifty character roster, isn't suddenly going to ruin the franchise.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Snake didn't "take" anyone's spot. Kojima asked Sakurai about it, Sakurai thought it was a good idea, and included him in the game. No character was explicitly cut to let Snake in the game. Most of the Forbidden Seven (with the exceptions of Mewtwo and Dixie) consisted of clones, anyways, and personally, I'd rather see a completely unique character like Snake than Roy or Dr. Mario.

Also, I don't get why people feel like this has to be a Nintendo-only game. The franchise has been about celebrating Nintendo's history, and third parties have always been a part of that history. Adding three or four characters who aren't from Nintendo (though they're all major players in the gaming industry), out of a forty or fifty character roster, isn't suddenly going to ruin the franchise.
Doesn't need to be a Nintendo only game, just needs to have Nintendo-oriented characters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Doesn't need to be a Nintendo only game, just needs to have Nintendo-oriented characters.
The problem there is, how do you define "Nintendo-oriented"? Metal Gear doesn't have a whole lot of games in the franchise, but about half of them have been on Nintendo systems, including two of the best-received games in the franchise, and the series as a whole pioneered the concept of stealth in gaming, which is still being used to this day. In my eyes, the fact that three of the six currently-available numbered instalments in the franchise have been released on Nintendo systems, coupled with the massive influence that the franchise has on gaming as a whole, makes Snake deserving enough to stay in.

Zyfoe

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac looks like an interesting match up for Snake. They're both characters that have an excellent ground game but a poor air game (At least, if Little Mac's trailer is to be completely trusted). It could be an exciting Offense (Little Mac) vs. Defense (Snake) matchup. Of course, this is assuming if Snake plays like he does in Brawl.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
So a discussion sprang up in the Little-Pac-Mii leak thread about whether or not Snake fits in the world of Smash. A claim was made that his weapons are too realistic and therefore out of place. I'm curious to know what the Snake fans/mains think of that.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So a discussion sprang up in the Little-Pac-Mii leak thread about whether or not Snake fits in the world of Smash. A claim was made that his weapons are too realistic and therefore out of place. I'm curious to know what the Snake fans/mains think of that.
Didn't stop him from getting into Brawl.

They made his weapons more cartoony in Brawl. Don't see why they can't do it now!

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Even if Snake doesn't return, I honestly won't be bothered by it. While I did think he was a good addition to Brawl, at the same time, I thought he felt out of place. But then again, any character from the Mortal Kombat series would feel even more out of place because they're too realistic to be in a series like Smash Bros. And no one wants to see Sub-Zero ripping out Mario's spine, am I right?

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure if "realistic" is the word you're looking for there - I can't say a lightning god, a man with robotic arms, or a four-armed demon would be considered realistic by most people.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I dunno, I thought Snake fit in perfectly. I mean, the whole point of third party characters is that they aren't Nintendo.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
I dunno, I thought Snake fit in perfectly. I mean, the whole point of third party characters is that they aren't Nintendo.
This one statement (along with various other well-made posts) makes arguments that say\ "Snake doesn't fit in" or "Snake isn't Nintendo" completely null.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Snake does look realistic and out of place compared to most of the other fighters. (including Sonic)

But that's kinda what I like about him. It makes him unique and stand out, I guess. Along with his actual moveset and playstyle.

I'd hate to see how he'd look if they made him cartoony in order to fit in with the SSB4 art style.

----

Last edited:

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Unless Snake was going to have more cartoony weapons than ever before (see also), I could see him on the top list of chopping block for having weapons still too realistic.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Unless Snake was going to have more cartoony weapons than ever before (see also), I could see him on the top list of chopping block for having weapons still too realistic.
The point about weapons have always been specifically limited to guns. In an interview during or after Brawl Sakurai also commented on how they were careful not to include any guns in his moveset, since it's such a controversial subject. Explosives are everywhere in Smash and are okay in Nintendo games in general, their outcome is still just a regular boom, where as the Ray Gun and a regular gun obviously have two very different outcomes, which is why Snake's moveset mainly consisted of just explosives.

Snake's weaponry isn't a problem at all, just because the artstyle has become more colorful doesn't mean the weapon rules have changed.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I like how the things Snake DOES use are way more deadly than everything Sakurai made sure to keep out. Oh well?
It's not so much about how deadly the weapons are, but mostly that guns are a more touchy subject that a child-friendly company like Nintendo wouldn't want to associate themselves with. There's quite a bit of difference in having Mario get a grenade thrown into his face with causes an explosion similar to that of the Bob-Ombs, and having Snake just outright shoot the crap out of him with a realistic gun, sound and everything.

But yeah, it is kind of ironic. You would think that landmines would be a controversial subject too, but I guess it's the outcome of the weapon that really changes it.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
It's not so much about how deadly the weapons are, but mostly that guns are a more touchy subject that a child-friendly company like Nintendo wouldn't want to associate themselves with. There's quite a bit of difference in having Mario get a grenade thrown into his face with causes an explosion similar to that of the Bob-Ombs, and having Snake just outright shoot the crap out of him with a realistic gun, sound and everything.

But yeah, it is kind of ironic. You would think that landmines would be a controversial subject too, but I guess it's the outcome of the weapon that really changes it.
Oh, I know. I'm kind of arguing with someone over PM about it right now. I can understand wanting to avoid controversy, but that controversy really shouldn't exist. What happens is what matters, not what something looks like. It's both silly and sad that knives are a problem, but swords are ok.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Oh, I know. I'm kind of arguing with someone over PM about it right now. I can understand wanting to avoid controversy, but that controversy really shouldn't exist. What happens is what matters, not what something looks like. It's both silly and sad that knives are a problem, but swords are ok.
You're right. It's stupid and doesn't make sense. But the reason why the swords are ok is because the aren't realistic. And if anyone try to argue that the swords are "scary" and "a bad influence on our children" would met with arguments like "Yes, because a giant, 7ft long sword that can produce fire is such a bad influence" and seen as hyper-sensitive scaredy cats.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I think Snake fits in perfectly in Brawl. Sakurai made him incredibly funny an ironic and so it worked. Also, I like variety a lot especially in a game like Super Smash Bros. which in my opinion needs a little bit more of "mature" characters.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Snake will come back at this point. It's all a matter of Kojima wanting him to be a part of the incredible roster of Brawl, and now it's only better. I'm pretty sure Kojima wants to see his character fighting against Mega Man.

Also, there's really no reason to cut him. Revealing him when Ground Zeroes comes out would be beautiful.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I think Snake fits in perfectly in Brawl. Sakurai made him incredibly funny an ironic and so it worked. Also, I like variety a lot especially in a game like Super Smash Bros. which in my opinion needs a little bit more of "mature" characters.
Sakurai didn't even have to make him like that, he was already like this in the source material. MGS is really over the top in some aspects, even a game like Metroid takes itself more seriously. There's a fair amount of fourth wall breaking in MGS, so it was an easy transition to the more "child-friendly" environment of Smash.
By the way, I'm pretty sure Snake will come back at this point. It's all a matter of Kojima wanting him to be a part of the incredible roster of Brawl, and now it's only better. I'm pretty sure Kojima wants to see his character fighting against Mega Man.
There's also the fact that it was during Melee's development when Kojima asked Sakurai to include Snake, but he wasn't able to because the game was almost done. That means Sakurai actually went back to Kojima and asked him if he still wanted Snake included for Brawl. I'm sure both of them want Snake to return this time.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
From what I understand, Kojima and Sakurai are good friends in their private life too, not only on a professional level, so it's not really a problem of "going back to him". I suppose it was as easy as pick up the phone and say "Hey dude do you want Snake in Sm4sh or what".

I don't know Metal Gear Solid that well to be honest so I don't know how similar the Snake character in Brawl was from the original, but yeah, the point still stands, he fits well. I guess a lot of people find him too mature for Smash Bros. because the games in which he stars are pretty violent and gritty sometimes, but that aspect isn't featured at all in Smash Bros. so who cares. I don't really see a difference in the mature aspect between him and Zero Suit Samus. In fact, from the "political" stand point of Nintendo, ZSS' inclusion it's actually more surprising than Snake's.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
You're right. It's stupid and doesn't make sense. But the reason why the swords are ok is because the aren't realistic. And if anyone try to argue that the swords are "scary" and "a bad influence on our children" would met with arguments like "Yes, because a giant, 7ft long sword that can produce fire is such a bad influence" and seen as hyper-sensitive scaredy cats.
Ike and Meta Knight's weapons are a little cartoony, yeah. But Marth's sword looks plenty realistic. The only reason people don't complain about swords is because no one uses them anymore. They never stopped being deadly though.

Ekans647

Smash Lord
NNID
Ekans647
3DS FC
2019-9808-9029
Ike and Meta Knight's weapons are a little cartoony, yeah. But Marth's sword looks plenty realistic. The only reason people don't complain about swords is because no one uses them anymore. They never stopped being deadly though.
You're exactly right. Math's sword is the most realistic in Smash by far. But the major problem that prevents Snake from using guns, or any truly realistic modern weaponry is the fact that most people don't understand it's not the weapon that is deadly, but the person behind it.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Why is there even a discussion over what weapons Snake will use?

Just make him identical to Brawl

Top Bottom