• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Math (a.k.a. Franchise Representation)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I decided to crunch some numbers about franchise representation.

Some Points:
• These numbers obviously don't take into account the importance or popularity of franchises
• Spin-offs have been included in the total games number
• I've left out Third Party characters, since they're a bit of an oddity when it comes to getting into the game
IN BRAWL

Pokemon
6 Characters
75 Games (Last in 2013)
1 Character for every 12.5 Games

Legend of Zelda
5 Characters
17 Games (Last in 2013)
1 Character for every 3.4 Games

Mario
4 Characters
200+ Games (Last in 2013)
1 Character for every 50 Games

Kirby
3 Characters
24 Games (Last in 2014)
1 Character for every 8 Games

Star Fox
3 Characters
6 Games (last in 2011)
1 Character for every 2 Games

Donkey Kong
2 Characters
28 Games (Last in 2013)
1 Character for every 14 Games

Fire Emblem
2 Characters
14 Games (Last in 2013)
1 Character for every 7 Games

Earthbound
2 Characters
4 Games (Last in 2006)

Metroid
2 Characters
12 Games (Last in 2010)
1 Character for every 6 Games

Yoshi
1 Character
11 Games (Last in 2014)
1 Character for every 11 Games

Wario
1 Character
19 Games (Last in 2013)
1 Character for every 19 Games

Pikmin
1 Character
3 Games (Last in 2013)
1 Character for every 3 Games

F-Zero
1 Character
9 Games (Last in 2004)
1 Character for every 9 Games

Kid Icarus
1 Character
3 Games (Last in 2012)

Ice Climber
1 Character
1 Game (Last in 1985)
1 Character for every 1 Game

Game & Watch
1 Character
60 Games (Last in 1991)
1 Character for every 60 Games

CURRENT SMASH 4 UPDATES
*Assuming all Brawl vets return*

Pokemon
6 Characters
75 Games (Last in 2013)
1 Character for every 12.5 Games

Mario
5 Characters
200+ Games (Last in 2013)
1 Character for every 40 Games

Legend of Zelda
5 Characters
17 Games (Last in 2013)
1 Character for every 3.4 Games

Kirby
3 Characters
24 Games (Last in 2014)
1 Character for every 8 Games

Star Fox
3 Characters
6 Games (last in 2011)

Donkey Kong
2 Characters
28 Games (Last in 2013)
1 Character for every 14 Games

Fire Emblem
2 Characters
14 Games (Last in 2013)

Earthbound
2 Characters
4 Games (Last in 2006)

Metroid
2 Characters
12 Games (Last in 2010)
1 Character for every 6 Games

Yoshi
1 Character
11 Games (Last in 2014)
1 Character for every 11 Games

Wario
1 Character
19 Games (Last in 2013)
1 Character for every 19 Games

Pikmin
1 Character
3 Games (Last in 2013)

F-Zero
1 Character
9 Games (Last in 2004)
1 Character for every 9 Games

Animal Crossing
1 Character
7 Games (Last in 2013)

Kid Icarus

1 Character
3 Games (Last in 2012)

Ice Climber
1 Character
1 Game (Last in 1985)
1 Character for every 1 Game

Game & Watch
1 Character
60 Games (Last in 1991)
1 Character for every 60 Games

Wii Fit
1 Character
3 Games (Last in 2013)

Some things I come away with:
• The Mario franchise is huge, and while I don't by any means think we should add in a dozen characters, I think one more newcomer (6) isn't outrageous
• The Legend of Zelda is one of the ones I hear clamouring for newcomers the most, yet, it actually seems to have good representation
• Donkey Kong and Pokemon are right in the middle for add/don't add for me (Mathematically)
• 3 characters might be pushing it for Fire Emblem
• Wario might warrant a newcomer, but who?
• Kirby seems just right to me (Sorry Waddle-Dee lovers)
• Mathematically, Earthbound and Star Fox seem over-represented

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why is F-Zero called "Captain Falcon" and not F-Zero?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I decided to crunch some numbers about franchise representation.
Some things I come away with:
• The Mario franchise is huge, and while I don't by any means think we should add in a dozen characters, I think one more newcomer (7) isn't outrageous
Don't you mean 6? Rosalina and Luma should be counted as one character.

You don't count Olimar and Pikmin as 6 characters. xD

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Don't you mean 6? Rosalina and Luma should be counted as one character.

You don't count Olimar and Pikmin as 6 characters. xD
Oops, I did mean 6.

This right here is why claims that Mario is overrepresented are silly.

I do question what you're counting as a G&W game though, as there have been many more than ten.
If you count all the individual releases it comes to about 60, so I'll update it to that. In reality, there is really no one else to add for that franchise, so the stats aren't super important in his case. Regardless, good call.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
This right here is why claims that Mario is overrepresented are silly.
I find the notion of Mario getting seven (not even including Yoshi and Wario) very silly. Mario is Nintendo's biggest franchise, yes, but I don't think it should get the Sonic All-Stars Treatment and take up a quarter of the ****in' roster. Mario's just fine the way it is; not only that, all of the characters are unique, with the possible exception of Luigi. Mario's even the only franchise to have a relatively minor side character playable.

ANYWAY, a quick glance at these numbers quickly shows that Sakurai's choices are pretty unbalanced. MOTHER, a dead franchise with only three games, whose last game was in '06, has the same number of characters as Metroid, with 13 games, the last one only a few years ago. Hell, Metroid's characters are even the same character. Donkey Kong is in the same situation, despite the fact that Donkey Kong literally started the whole thing.

I really don't think Mother deserves the two it has, let alone another one. The games are good, but they're not great, and they especially don't stand out nearly a decade after the last and final release.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I find the notion of Mario getting seven (not even including Yoshi and Wario) very silly. Mario is Nintendo's biggest franchise, yes, but I don't think it should get the Sonic All-Stars Treatment and take up a quarter of the ****in' roster. Mario's just fine the way it is; not only that, all of the characters are unique, with the possible exception of Luigi. Mario's even the only franchise to have a relatively minor side character playable.
It currently has 5 with Rosalina, and I think one more is just right. As you said, nobody wants Smash to be all Mario characters, and diversity is good in a roster. However you can't deny Mario is Nintendo's most prolific franchise, has some very unique characters available to it, and is still popular and going strong. 6 characters wouldn't be overdoing it in my opinion. That being said, I'm OK with the representation it has at the moment.
ANYWAY, a quick glance at these numbers quickly shows that Sakurai's choices are pretty unbalanced. MOTHER, a dead franchise with only three games, whose last game was in '06, has the same number of characters as Metroid, with 13 games, the last one only a few years ago. Hell, Metroid's characters are even the same character. Donkey Kong is in the same situation, despite the fact that Donkey Kong literally started the whole thing.

I really don't think Mother deserves the two it has, let alone another one. The games are good, but they're not great, and they especially don't stand out nearly a decade after the last and final release.
I agree Mother is over-reped (would have been fine with just Ness). And personally, I'd like to see one new rep each for DK and Metroid.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Hey, that's a nice idea! Especially if it means that Wario is not represented enough.

But I also want Kid Icarus to be over-represented. About Starfox and Mother, the problem is more the fact that the characters share some similarities between them (especially Fox and Falco), excluding their look of course.

Also, the mathematics alone can't solve this problem (but again, I really like the mathematical approach to see how represented the series are). For exemple, Mario, Zelda and Pokémon are games that sells really well, and that are well known, so it's obvious it already have lots of rep, and that people want even more. (and I do want a Zelda newcommer)
Edit: Didn't saw that in the first post, my bad.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I dislike this idea of "over-repping" and "under-repping".

If KI and SF have say, two good characters and three good characters respectively, while Wario and Metroid only have one good character, then KI and SF should get two/three characters and Wario/Metroid should get 1. Call me a "2bigiot" or whatever, but the latter two series just don't have any characters that make sense to actually add (KI may only have three games, but it at least has a definite second main character, that being Palutena. Wario doesn't really have a notable sidekick/villain, etc).

At the very least, I can see why KI wouldn't have more characters than Mario/Zelda/Pokemon, but besides that, I find the idea of holding a series down and saying it can only have this amount of characters because of this amount of games pointless.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, I just use the terms. I don't mind Metroid having only Samus (with two gameplays), as others Metroid characters wouldn't really work well (to me). I don't really mind Starfox having 3 reps either, it's just that:
-The 3 characters share similarities (Landmaster! :troll:)
-I never liked Falco :troll:

For Kid Icarus, a lot of characters (the gods, especially) can bring new things to Smash. If it means having 3 characters for a 3 games series, I'm fine.

Also, about Mother, there's Ness and Lucas, but let's not forget Jeff, the Porky's Statue and Porky itself. Onett also returned as a retro stage. I'm not a fan of Mother at all (I should, but being European isn't great for playing Mother's games ._.), but I don't mind this representation at all.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

If KI and SF have say, two good characters and three good characters respectively, while Wario and Metroid only have one good character, then KI and SF should get two/three characters and Wario/Metroid should get 1. Call me a "2bigiot" or whatever, but the latter two series just don't have any characters that make sense to actually add (KI may only have three games, but it at least has a definite second main character, that being Palutena. Wario doesn't really have a notable sidekick/villain, etc).

At the very least, I can see why KI wouldn't have more characters than Mario/Zelda/Pokemon, but besides that, I find the idea of holding a series down and saying it can only have this amount of characters because of this amount of games pointless.
I'm not saying that it has all the answers. As I mention in the beginning, things like popularity and historical significance aren't taken into account. It's just a different way to look at it that yields some interesting thoughts.
As you said, although mathematically Wario deserves more reps, there's really no one that jumps out as a good choice. And good characters should trump mathematical equality, I think we can agree on that.

UltimateWario

Smash Master

Funny how your first sentence basically argues against the rest of your post.

You can think that Ridley isn't a sensible character to add, for whatever reason, but the fact is that, no matter how much you like Kid Icarus, it's a very small franchise that isn't overly popular. It doesn't matter how many "good" characters you think there are, Kid Icarus doesn't need to be a huge presence within Smash because it isn't a huge presence within Nintendo.

Quite the opposite are true with Wario and Metroid, both who are pretty underrepped for their size and popularity, and especially Wario, who has a huge cast of colorful characters all with their own distinct styles to bring to the party. Metroid obviously has Ridley, who, like it or not, is a very likely addition, and a unique and sensible one, at that. All I'm getting out of this is that, because you liked Kid Icarus's characters (who weren't even the characters you know them as until Uprising, for that matter), you think that there should be more of them, which is a flawed case. I could say just the same thing because I like Metroid and Wario's characters.

Metroid has Ridley as the main antagonist and Dark Samus as the rival (despite being a main antagonist, herself).

Wario has Capt. Syrup as the rival, Mona as the sidekick, and Jimmy T. as the quirky fourth character.

Saying that these franchises lack characters is just silly and ignorant, just as saying Kid Icarus should get more characters because it has more "good" characters is. If a series got reps based on how many "good" characters it had, Pokemon would have ten million and Mario would have like two.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, the question of good and bad characters is a bit subjective.
For exemple, I think thought Ashley from WarioWare would have been a great character, and I still support Mona strongly. Captain Syrup can become a good addition too.
On the other hand, we can agree that those three are not as important as Palutena or Medusa for the Kid Icarus serie, for exemple.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Well, I just use the terms. I don't mind Metroid having only Samus (with two gameplays), as others Metroid characters wouldn't really work well (to me). I don't really mind Starfox having 3 reps either, it's just that:
-The 3 characters share similarities (Landmaster! :troll:)
-I never liked Falco :troll:

For Kid Icarus, a lot of characters (the gods, especially) can bring new things to Smash. If it means having 3 characters for a 3 games series, I'm fine.

Also, about Mother, there's Ness and Lucas, but let's not forget Jeff, the Porky's Statue and Porky itself. Onett also returned as a retro stage. I'm not a fan of Mother at all (I should, but being European isn't great for playing Mother's games ._.), but I don't mind this representation at all.
Personally, I want to see Metroid get a newcomer (I'm in the Ridley camp myself). And with Mother, it's not that I mind the representation. After all, variety is good, and just because something isn't as popular doesn't mean it isn't as good. But let's just say if it came to character cuts, I'd lose the semi-clone from an old, dormant, short-lived franchise before I'd want to drop anyone else.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
On the other hand, we can agree that those three are not as important as Palutena or Medusa for the Kid Icarus serie, for exemple.
How so? Mona is quite literally Wario's right-hand woman, or his Palutena. Capt. Syrup is his opposite, and, although Rudy the Clown would be a "better" comparison, is his Medusa.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord

You can think that Ridley isn't a sensible character to add, for whatever reason, but the fact is that, no matter how much you like Kid Icarus, it's a very small franchise that isn't overly popular. It doesn't matter how many "good" characters you think there are, Kid Icarus doesn't need to be a huge presence within Smash because it isn't a huge presence within Nintendo.

Quite the opposite are true with Wario and Metroid, both who are pretty underrepped for their size and popularity, and especially Wario, who has a huge cast of colorful characters all with their own distinct styles to bring to the party. Metroid obviously has Ridley, who, like it or not, is a very likely addition, and a unique and sensible one, at that. All I'm getting out of this is that, because you liked Kid Icarus's characters (who weren't even the characters you know them as until Uprising, for that matter), you think that there should be more of them, which is a flawed case. I could say just the same thing because I like Metroid and Wario's characters.

Metroid has Ridley as the main antagonist and Dark Samus as the rival (despite being a main antagonist, herself).

Wario has Capt. Syrup as the rival, Mona as the sidekick, and Jimmy T. as the quirky fourth character.

Saying that these franchises lack characters is just silly and ignorant, just as saying Kid Icarus should get more characters because it has more "good" characters is. If a series got reps based on how many "good" characters it had, Pokemon would have ten million and Mario would have like two.
Well, the question of good and bad characters is a bit subjective.
For exemple, I think thought Ashley from WarioWare would have been a great character, and I still support Mona strongly. Captain Syrup can become a good addition too.
I guess that balancing act is between importance and quality, and both of those are at least somewhat subjective. For example look at Miis. One side argues they are hugely influential and important, so they should be in. The other side argues that they aren't interesting enough as characters to get in. In the end we're all a little biased based on what franchises we like the most.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Personally, I want to see Metroid get a newcomer (I'm in the Ridley camp myself). And with Mother, it's not that I mind the representation. After all, variety is good, and just because something isn't as popular doesn't mean it isn't as good. But let's just say if it came to character cuts, I'd lose the semi-clone from an old, dormant, short-lived franchise before I'd want to drop anyone else.
Well, even if I have trouble seeing how Ridley can work (it's not a matter of size, don't worry), if he make it, it'll probably a great addition. I'm not against, I'm just not especially for :)

About Mother, I think it's the best series to describe how the number of games doesn't really matter.

How so? Mona is quite literally Wario's right-hand woman, or his Palutena. Capt. Syrup is his opposite, and, although Rudy the Clown would be a "better" comparison, is his Medusa.
I do agree I expressed myself really badly. Especially for Syrup.
What I meant is that Pit, Palutena and Medusa are really tied together. Something that we can see less with Syrup, but I totally forgot the rivalty between the two in Shake It. About Mona, we do know that she have some love interest with Wario, but we rarely see them together.

But for Kid Icarus, I agree that the small number of game tend to tighten the "bonds" between Pit, Palutena and Medusa. Althought Palutena would still be really present if there's more games, we can't say the same about Medusa.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I do agree I expressed myself really badly. Especially for Syrup.
What I meant is that Pit, Palutena and Medusa are really tied together. Something that we can see less with Syrup, but I totally forgot the rivalty between the two in Shake It. About Mona, we do know that she have some love interest with Wario, but we rarely see them together..
Ah, I get what you're saying, now.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Ah, I get what you're saying, now.
Yep, just forgot to explain the point of view.

Again, the number of games act in this. WarioLand have some games, giving new ennemies (Rudy the Clown, the Golden Diva for exemple), but Syrup is still THE rival.
And for WarioWare, Mona and Jimmy T always act as the 2nd and/or 3rd character in the game.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Let me elaborate on that.

Ridley is too big. That's just it. The design of his character simply does not work for Smash. Trying to scale him down would make him look awkward because of his big wings and gagly proportions.

Just for the record, I'm not saying we need to add an whole armada of KI characters. I'm just saying I think Palutena is a good pick. She's basically the other main character of the series and could add a new fighting style to the game (Staff-wielding goddess). I believe ultimately, her and Pit are the most important KI characters and anyone else besides them is kind of overdoing it. I think the same can be said for Wario. He has like over 15 games and he's the most important character of them all. The WW gang really aren't that important, and neither is C. Syrup, who's only the villain/rival for two games (out of over 15 games, again) and a shopkeeper in the latest one. Wario is primarily about Wario. He's good by himself.

I feel to define a "good character" in my eyes is 1. Be unique, while also fitting into the design of SSB and 2. Be important/significant.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Ridley is too big. That's just it. The design of his character simply does not work for Smash. Trying to scale him down would make him look awkward because of his big wings and gagly proportions.
Except he isn't. You must be pretty closed-minded if you think that there's absolutely no way to make the character work. Take five minutes to browse through the Ridley thread, and you'll find more options than you can count on two hands.

Ridley isn't too big. Sakurai never said he was too big. He never said he wouldn't fit, or that he would be impossible. He said that, with work, he could work. And what does Smash Bros. take more than money or time?

Work.

Ridley could fit just as well as any other awkward character. You think anyone ever expected Ivysaur or Charizard to be playable? Of course not, they're both awkward as **** as far as their physiology is concerned and Ivysaur has to do almost everything with his vines to get anything done. But they work. Anything can work if you put time and effort into it. You think Ridley's too big? That's fine. You can be wrong all you want.

But don't you even start going around stating it as though it were fact, because it isn't. It's an opinion, and an erroneous and hackneyed one, at that. You're telling me that Sakurai can't do a better job than the dozen or so PSAs of Ridley that are already done? They're not perfect, no, but they do work to an extent, and that's by one guy. Sakurai has all of the project's money and resources at his disposal.

And even then, it's a huge overstatement. Ridley does present a problem, yes. He is awkward, and he would need to be sized-down to be playable. But his problem is not a unique or insurmountable one. He just requires work, as Sakurai said he would. No more work than it would take to add a character like Rosalina & Luma to the game, just a different kind.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Let me elaborate on that.

Just for the record, I'm not saying we need to add an whole armada of KI characters. I'm just saying I think Palutena is a good pick. She's basically the other main character of the series and could add a new fighting style to the game (Staff-wielding goddess). I believe ultimately, her and Pit are the most important KI characters and anyone else besides them is kind of overdoing it. I think the same can be said for Wario. He has like over 15 games and he's the most important character of them all. The WW gang really aren't that important, and neither is C. Syrup, who's only the villain/rival for two games (out of over 15 games, again) and a shopkeeper in the latest one. Wario is primarily about Wario. He's good by himself.

I feel to define a "good character" in my eyes is 1. Be unique, while also fitting into the design of SSB and 2. Be important/significant.
1) I think Ridley can scale. I understand that he would lose some of his appeal by being a smaller, less intimidating version of himself, but I think it works. He also fits your 2 criteria for a "good character". That said, based on that first sentence I don't think we'll ever agree, so we'll just call that a draw I suppose.

2) I think Palutena gets in. She is unique, a new female character and then there's the whole KI Uprising connection. Personally I'm not worried if she doesn't get in, and KI is not a big enough franchise that I fell it NEEDS 2 reps.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Except he isn't. You must be pretty closed-minded if you think that there's absolutely no way to make the character work. Take five minutes to browse through the Ridley thread, and you'll find more options than you can count on two hands.

Ridley isn't too big. Sakurai never said he was too big. He never said he wouldn't fit, or that he would be impossible. He said that, with work, he could work. And what does Smash Bros. take more than money or time?

Work.

Ridley could fit just as well as any other awkward character. You think anyone ever expected Ivysaur or Charizard to be playable? Of course not, they're both awkward as **** as far as their physiology is concerned and Ivysaur has to do almost everything with his vines to get anything done. But they work. Anything can work if you put time and effort into it. You think Ridley's too big? That's fine. You can be wrong all you want.

But don't you even start going around stating it as though it were fact, because it isn't. It's an opinion, and an erroneous and hackneyed one, at that. You're telling me that Sakurai can't do a better job than the dozen or so PSAs of Ridley that are already done? They're not perfect, no, but they do work to an extent, and that's by one guy. Sakurai has all of the project's money and resources at his disposal.

And even then, it's a huge overstatement. Ridley does present a problem, yes. He is awkward, and he would need to be sized-down to be playable. But his problem is not a unique or insurmountable one. He just requires work, as Sakurai said he would. No more work than it would take to add a character like Rosalina & Luma to the game, just a different kind.
I agree. Look at characters like Game & Watch, ROB, Captain Falcon... Characters with odd handicaps or no discernible move set to draw from that have been turned into legitimate fighters.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Considering how innacurate the proportions are with the Pokémon trainer, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard, scaling Ridley wouldn't be awkward.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
It's also true (I'm looking at you, Olimar), but people tend to bring up the fact that proportions are respected within a serie, and the Pokemon serie prove that this is false.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
Ridley wouldn't even be that hard to scale down if they used the Other M design

The body is almost humanoid, in the art at least. They could even use his adolescent version and his final smash could be him becoming normal Ridley (I'm just gonna link this picture so it doesn't clog up the post more) http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100909080117/metroid/images/6/65/Adolescent_Ridley.jpg

As for representation of a series, despite my love of Earthbound I will admit that they are overepresented and I wouldn't mind to see Lucas gone (I would want Porky in though, even if two is too many reps :p). Same goes for Falco getting cut, Fox and Wolf are enough. We need some more DK and Yoshi reps IMO.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Ridley wouldn't even be that hard to scale down if they used the Other M design
The body is almost humanoid, in the art at least. They could even use his adolescent version and his final smash could be him becoming normal Ridley (I'm just gonna link this picture so it doesn't clog up the post more) http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100909080117/metroid/images/6/65/Adolescent_Ridley.jpg

As for representation of a series, despite my love of Earthbound I will admit that they are overepresented and I wouldn't mind to see Lucas gone (I would want Porky in though, even if two is too many reps :p). Same goes for Falco getting cut, Fox and Wolf are enough. We need some more DK and Yoshi reps IMO.
Not gonna lie, I'm not a fan of the Other M design. I suppose beggars can't be choosers, but I'd really prefer they go the classic route.

And I agree with you Lucas and Falco could go, and my feelings wouldn't be hurt at all. DK definitely should get another 1-2 reps. Yoshi, I'm not really sure who they'd add, but I'd be up for it.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
Not gonna lie, I'm not a fan of the Other M design. I suppose beggars can't be choosers, but I'd really prefer they go the classic route.

And I agree with you Lucas and Falco could go, and my feelings wouldn't be hurt at all. DK definitely should get another 1-2 reps. Yoshi, I'm not really sure who they'd add, but I'd be up for it.
Yeah, I'm not exactly the biggest fan either, I'm just saying that design would make him easier to scale down. Chances are if we get him he'll use that design considering Samus looks like she did in Other M :/

I'm kind of surprised by how many people have agreed with me about Falco recently :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom