• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash characters VS the Video Game World - Round 3 - Mario VS Sora

Mario VS Sora

• Mario

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Sora

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Last battle wasn't so hot, only 8 votes. I think iot was because of the problems this site was having and one of the characters being not very well known. Anyways.

Rules;

Rules are simple. You vote for who you think would win a cannon battle. There is a list of what is not allowed to be used.

Not allowed to be considered for the battles;

Game mechanics (Example would be Mario only able to have 1 power up at a time in this game. That is an example of a game mechanic that isn't canon)
Game hacks/freezes/glitches (These should be obvious)
Back-ups/Sidekick characters (Characters must fight by themselves, this does not affect characters who have the ability to summon monsters/generic enemies/have it as a important part of them. Basically Mario cannot call on Luigi to help him and things like that while a character like Taupy from Sand of Destruction is able to summon Kitty his Wife because she is not a playable character and it is address as canon in the game from him to able to summon her)
Wishing to win (regular wishing however is allowed)

Anything not listed here is allowed to be used.
Round 1 results - Winner Mario- http://smashboards.com/threads/smas...deo-game-wrold-round-1-mario-vs-spyro.342927/
Round 2 results - Winner Mario - http://smashboards.com/threads/smas...me-world-round-2-mario-vs-taupy-tolan.343181/

Mario;

It the block hitting Goomba stomping plumber. Mario! His jump is legendary, so much so that it awed a group of tad poles, and trust me that is hard to do. He wields a mighty hammer that crushes his foes. He's got access to a big stash of power-ups ranging from fire, to ice, to boomerang, to animals, to clouds, to rocks, iot's almost limitless! But not only that he defeats a giant mother ******* turtle with spikes erry day all day.

For more precise information go to the following links;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario#Abilities
http://www.mariowiki.com/mario#Powers_and_abilities
http://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_power-ups
Sora

It's the Keyblade wielding kid. They Keyblade alone is enough to be wary of Sora as it is an incredibly powerful weapon. But he doesn't just have that, he is also extremely well versed in magic by knowing fire, thunder, blizzard, gravity, time, reflect, and cure. And possibly even more! He also has the ability to go into what is known as a drive form and by doing so he can wield 2 Keyblades or shoot from a single Keyblade depending on the Drive. We still aren't done with this guy, he has been show to slice a building in half, to temporarily fly, make incredible jumps that rival even Mario, Summon various Disney characters ranging from Simba to Tinker Bell (He can't summon every Disney character mind you), and much more!

For a more detailed look at Sora visit the following links;
http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Sora#Abilities
http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Magic
http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Summon#List_of_Summons (Ignore CoH summons)
http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/Drive_Form
Let the battle begin!

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Okay, really? This isn't even fair. And you didn't even touch on the new abilities that Sora has as of Dream Drop Distance or the new things shown off that he can do from Kingdom Hearts 3's latest trailer. XD

Mario would struggle with Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix Sora as it is. Probably even moreso with the Chain of Memories one. KH2FM? There's a ton of characters from various other game universes that would get steamrolled by him, including majority of the Disney and Final Fantasy cast he shares his games with, as the game has shown time and again. And heck, if we wanna get game technical, because of the ability EXP 0, Sora is capable of going through all of his main series games (KH1FM, KH2FM, DDD) while staying at Level 1 and STILL clearing everything in the game.

I know I'm not going into this as technically as you'd probably like even though I'm more than qualified to due to how long I've played KH, but even with all of Mario's power-ups, including Invincibility, he's kind of outmatched here since Sora has been shown to be able to take out his foe's invincibility by using the light from his Keyblade as well.

Yeah, Mario is seriously outclassed here. His games still make more money, though. He also has more fans an this is still a Nintendo site, so I think he'll still win the poll.

But yeah, in terms of ability, I think one of the Links or one of the Fire Emblem Lords or probably Ganon would be better matches to put up against Sora.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Okay, really? This isn't even fair. And you didn't even touch on the new abilities that Sora has as of Dream Drop Distance or the new things shown off that he can do from Kingdom Hearts 3's latest trailer. XD

Mario would struggle with Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix Sora as it is. Probably even moreso with the Chain of Memories one. KH2FM? There's a ton of characters from various other game universes that would get steamrolled by him, including majority of the Disney and Final Fantasy cast he shares his games with, as the game has shown time and again. And heck, if we wanna get game technical, because of the ability EXP 0, Sora is capable of going through all of his main series games (KH1FM, KH2FM, DDD) while staying at Level 1 and STILL clearing everything in the game.

I know I'm not going into this as technically as you'd probably like even though I'm more than qualified to due to how long I've played KH, but even with all of Mario's power-ups, including Invincibility, he's kind of outmatched here since Sora has been shown to be able to take out his foe's invincibility by using the light from his Keyblade as well.

Yeah, Mario is seriously outclassed here. His games still make more money, though. He also has more fans an this is still a Nintendo site, so I think he'll still win the poll.

But yeah, in terms of ability, I think one of the Links or one of the Fire Emblem Lords or probably Ganon would be better matches to put up against Sora.

KH3 hasn't even come out yet and thus all the details aren't known and could change in due time, as for the stuff lacking in DDD yea I forgot that stuff there my bad although I would a lot of it wouldn't matter anyway as most of that stuff he would only be able to do inside the Dream Realm. Game mechanics should not be considered, as stated by the rules.

Also I paired Mario against Sora quite purposely, already knowing certain about things. I'm mostly doing this round as an experiment to see where the votes will go this time around, ever since the first round I have been having the feeling people are voting more for the character they no more then who they think should win.

Dance puppets dance.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
KH3 hasn't even come out yet and thus all the details aren't known and could change in due time, as for the stuff lacking in DDD yea I forgot that stuff there my bad although I would a lot of it wouldn't matter anyway as most of that stuff he would only be able to do inside the Dream Realm. Game mechanics should not be considered, as stated by the rules.

Also I paired Mario against Sora quite purposely, already knowing certain about things. I'm mostly doing this round as an experiment to see where the votes will go this time around, ever since the first round I have been having the feeling people are voting more for the character they no more then who they think should win.

Dance puppets dance.
Actually, the whole point of the Dream World was that Sora and Riku would be learning a new way to wield the Keyblade during that journey. Aside from Reality Shifts, which aren't much different from Limits, there isn't much in DDD that Sora does that he couldn't perform in the real world. Especially if you consider that a lot of his abilities were newly upgraded and refined versions of moves he had in the past.

Also, the KH3 and EXP 0 thing was more of a joke than anything. Don't worry about that. ¦D

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Actually, the whole point of the Dream World was that Sora and Riku would be learning a new way to wield the Keyblade during that journey. Aside from Reality Shifts, which aren't much different from Limits, there isn't much in DDD that Sora does that he couldn't perform in the real world. Especially if you consider that a lot of his abilities were newly upgraded and refined versions of moves he had in the past.

Also, the KH3 and EXP 0 thing was more of a joke than anything. Don't worry about that. ¦D
It's been a while since I played DDD or any other KH game, I've been keeping away from the series untill I get a PS3 and KH 1.5 and the eventual 2.5, so I am a bit rusty on some of the stuff and most of what I am remembered from DDD were the Reality Shifts and Dream Monsters. If Sora makes a return in this thing I'll try to go into more detail, as this was mostly just a experiment.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Wait, why are summons allowed? Even Screw Attacks' Death Battle disallows any type of summoning. Sora can use his Drive while Mario has to rely on his own abilities? I don't find that very fair. Besides, Sora's Drive form requires the presence of Donald and Goofy, so that shouldn't even work.

Anyway, Mario is more powerful and much faster than we understand. (He can run along walls in Super Mario World, and he lifted an entire fortress with his bare hands in the same game. I'm starting to think that every game afterwards, Mario is holding back his true abilities.)

It's a hard match for sure.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Wait, why are summons allowed? Even Screw Attacks' Death Battle disallows any type of summoning. Sora can use his Drive while Mario has to rely on his own abilities? I don't find that very fair. Besides, Sora's Drive form requires the presence of Donald and Goofy, so that shouldn't even work.

Anyway, Mario is more powerful and much faster than we understand. (He can run along walls in Super Mario World, and he lifted an entire fortress with his bare hands in the same game. I'm starting to think that every game afterwards, Mario is holding back his true abilities.)

It's a hard match for sure.

This isn't Screw Attack? And I say so? As for the drive, I believe that is a game mechanic for it requiring Donald and Goofy as in cut-scenes they are both there. In fact I am almost positive it was stated that it was the multiple hearts within Sora that allowed him to use the Drives, I don't recall it ever being said that it required Donald and Goofy. The same goes for Anti-Form, that is a mechanic.

The only summoning I am not allowing is stuff like Mario summoning Luigi. However if a character has the actual ability to summon I allow it, because it is a part of that character.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Besides, Sora's Drive form requires the presence of Donald and Goofy, so that shouldn't even work.
That's only as a gameplay mechanic. Cutscene wise, Sora can do them anytime he wants. That's why he's still in his forms in cutscenes when you transform even if Donald and Goofy are already there. Plus, there's Limit Form. He doesn't need anyone to switch into that.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Sora would probably take this one. And I am being unbiased. No matter what Mario throws at him, Sora has got magic to either protect himself or strike from afar. When you go mano a mano, Sora could always use Limit Form to completely wreck Mario (Limit Form doesn't use your partners either I believe). And flow-motion in 3D doesn't seem like something only for the Dream Realm, so add some more mobility on Sora's side. Mario has no chance to win this one. Limit Form with Flow Motion while 3-wielding probably breaks the fabric of the universe itself. Now that I think about it, Sora is one hell of a strong *******. He can probably remove invincibility effects too with his Keyblade. Mario would probably be able to beat other KH characters other than Sora (limit form is definitely what wins this, other characters are good at melee range but they aren't as universe-breaking-strong as Sora).

I propose a nerf to Sora in someway. And this is coming of a KH Fan.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hmm... It all depends on if Sora can guard against Mario's Mega Mushroom and Starman. That's not all Mario's got. Mario's strength, Jumping power, and flexibility will make it a CLOSE battle...

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Hmm... It all depends on if Sora can guard against Mario's Mega Mushroom and Starman. That's not all Mario's got. Mario's strength, Jumping power, and flexibility will make it a CLOSE battle...

Just so you know, Sora has defeated giant foes and invincible foes before. So it ain't nothing new for him. :p

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Just so you know, Sora has defeated giant foes and invincible foes before. So it ain't nothing new for him. :p
So basically rather than an OP Mario beating every opponent it's now gonna be an OP Sora beating every possible opponent?

White Tanooki suit is probably the only way Mario could even get a look in here.

Strange match up choice like Wave said. You're just trying to gauge how much Mario bias is on the site aren'tcha?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Strange match up choice like Wave said. You're just trying to gauge how much Mario bias is on the site aren'tcha?
Pretty much. I did Mario VS Sora as a pure retirement to see how many people would end up picking Mario as the one who would win, and from the looks of it Mario is going to win again. Next battle will probably be even more strange with a even more skewered match-up, well will suppose to be anyway.

Dance puppets dance.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm afraid I can't bring myself to vote for Sora on anything even if he's the most likely victor here.

Actually if it was Sora Vs. Cloud or Shadow the Hedgehog maybe I'd vote Sora...maybe even Snake at a push, but that's about it. Mario. Go White Tanooki Suit, go.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Pretty sure this guy was giant and invincible too.

And this one.

Edit: Put Roy up against Mario and then we'll see the bias come in. :p

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm afraid I can't bring myself to vote for Sora on anything even if he's the most likely victor here.

Actually if it was Sora Vs. Cloud or Shadow the Hedgehog maybe I'd vote Sora...maybe even Snake at a push, but that's about it. Mario. Go White Tanooki Suit, go.

They Keyblade has the ability to make the invincibility of the White Tanooki Suit moot, just so you know.

Pretty sure this guy was giant and invincible too.

And this one.

Edit: Put Roy up against Mario and then we'll see the bias come in. :p

Your point is? All I did was state that Mario becoming a giant or becoming invincible is nothing new for Sora to go against.

And BTW, not sure what that first boss is about, look Super Paper Mario inspired, so no idea on the details about that boss.

However for the Shadow Queen Mario was only able to defeat her after PEACH made her not invincible basically. Whereas Sora wouldn't have needed that kind of help with the Keyblade. So not sure what your trying to get across there still.

Als, Roy is considered a Smash character, so that is not possible. :p

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
Well, wait a second here. Sora's an Action/RPG character, right?

We need to start giving Mario his deserved credit. He's been in RPGs, not just platformers. He has an abundance of super moves that allow him to Grandstand all over his opponents.

All of his abilities from Super Mario RPG, the plethora of badges and powers he received from the Paper Mario games, and everything from the Mario & Luigi RPGs.

If we want a real fight, we give Mario everything. We always judge Mario's abilities based only on the platformers or the Smash Bros games. Not this time, Mario gets it all.

And, yes, Mario has summons too! He can call down the Star Spirits for additional options. (This counts as an official summoning. It's part of his character.)

Remember guys, he's not just Mario; he's Super Mario. With his acrobatics from Sunshine, Sora's flowmotion abilities are kept in check. With Mario's superior speed and power, Sora is outmatched. Sora may have magic, but Mario's dealt with that before, and always has a response to it with his own special abilities.

I give this one to Mario.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Well, wait a second here. Sora's an Action/RPG character, right?

We need to start giving Mario his deserved credit. He's been in RPGs, not just platformers. He has an abundance of super moves that allow him to Grandstand all over his opponents.

All of his abilities from Super Mario RPG, the plethora of badges and powers he received from the Paper Mario games, and everything from the Mario & Luigi RPGs.

If we want a real fight, we give Mario everything. We always judge Mario's abilities based only on the platformers or the Smash Bros games. Not this time, Mario gets it all.

And, yes, Mario has summons too! He can call down the Star Spirits for additional options. (This counts as an official summoning. It's part of his character.)

Remember guys, he's not just Mario; he's Super Mario. With his acrobatics from Sunshine, Sora's flowmotion abilities are kept in check. With Mario's superior speed and power, Sora is outmatched. Sora may have magic, but Mario's dealt with that before, and always has a response to it with his own special abilities.

I give this one to Mario.

You ignored almost everything Sora has in his possession. But w/e. I see the bias is strong with Smashboards. Anyways, next round will be up in a while with a even more skewered match-up.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
You ignored almost everything Sora has in his possession. But w/e. I see the bias is strong with Smashboards. Anyways, next round will be up in a while with a even more skewered match-up.
Bias, eh? And here you are trying to end Mario on purpose.

And yes, I did consider Sora's abilities. It was bias at first, then I remembered the rest of Mario's capabilities.

This new one however, obviously you're just trying to get rid of Mario.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Bias, eh? And here you are trying to end Mario on purpose.

And yes, I did consider Sora's abilities. It was bias at first, then I remembered the rest of Mario's capabilities.

This new one however, obviously you're just trying to get rid of Mario. Force using characters pretty much have the greatest advantage over every other type of fictional character.

Although, I really enjoy Star Wars, (My OC, which is in my avatar, is actually a Jedi himself) I do like Mario more Galen.

Yet, I must give this one to Starkiller. Sorry, Mario.

I'm actually trying to gauge just how far the biasness towards Mario will go by putting him against exceedingly OP character. I gave him 2 fair fights the first time around, but after he won by a landslide both times I decided to see if it was more bias or more who the think would actually win. From the fight I got bias, because with Drives, from Valor to Wisdom to Master to Final. There is also Limit form. His own summons. His plethora of magic, his own speed and strength, his various other abilities, the Keyblad. In reality Sora should have won. Now I'm going even futher trying to gauge the biasness towards Mario.

It all an experiment at this point currently.

Dance puppets dance.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
NNID
Nin-Knight
I'm actually trying to gauge just how far the biasness towards Mario will go by putting him against exceedingly OP character. I gave him 2 fair fights the first time around, but after he won by a landslide both times I decided to see if it was more bias or more who the think would actually win. From the fight I got bias, because with Drives, from Valor to Wisdom to Master to Final. There is also Limit form. His own summons. His plethora of magic, his own speed and strength, his various other abilities, the Keyblad. In reality Sora should have won. Now I'm going even futher trying to gauge the biasness towards Mario.

It all an experiment at this point currently.

Dance puppets dance.
You picked Sora because you already believed he could beat Mario.

No, no, I'm getting off this subject now. But remember, testing other people for bias can reveal your own.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You picked Sora because you already believed he could beat Mario.

No, no, I'm getting off this subject now. But remember, testing other people for bias can reveal your own.

Any bias I may or may not have doesn't matter as I don't participate in the voting, as I am creating these topics. However realistically speaking Sora would beat Mario, I don't allow any biasness I may have to come into these types of things when deciding who would win. Besides I don't really have a personal preference over Mario and Sora I like them equally. So :/.

pitthekit

Smash Ace

sora can use his keyblade to open marios heart.. and kill him!!!!!

Top Bottom