• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASH BROS 3DS HELP! online mode won't link me up to anyone / only lets me paired with one player!

Tasty Villager

Smash Rookie
As the title says. I'll try to open a room in for glory, i'll sit for almost 20 minutes before one person comes in. after that i try to find someone else to fight. another few minutes of trying to find anyone, 6 minutes pass of waiting until the next person comes, same person as before.

this cycle keeps repeating itself. i tried testing it for other online play modes and it won't hook me up with anyone at all.

is there no one online in the entire world or something? was i banned from fighting most players? this is frustrating and i want to know how to fix this or if it is the simple fact that no one is online.

abx

Smash Journeyman
People here and on gameFAQ call this "banland" or "Smash hell" or "Smash purgatory". Basically you have been put into a relatively small pool of other players and you can only play against other players of this pool. That's at least the current theory and some claim they have a confirmation from nintendo support. You get into this pool if you have been reported repeatedly. Keep in mind that reporting someone does not require any further explanation and there's no one who checks if reports are valid or just sore loser's whining.
Due to the nature of the reporting system this pool is mostly filled with people with offensive tags, an overly cocky playstyle with lots of taunts and crouching and other supposedly offensive actions as well as with people who are just frustratingly good. This pool probably is so small that it takes a lot of time for match making though.

Seriously, this topic needs a sticky, there are so many people showing up with this problem and these terms like smash hell aren't really helpful when searching the forum.

PS: It is currently unclear (afaik) how long this semi-ban lasts and what actually affects the length of it. Sorry.

Last edited:

Tasty Villager

Smash Rookie
i read into this more and a lot of people said most of the banned players are just the incredibly good ones.

to a casual player someone who is "frustratingly good" may come off as a hacker of some sort.

i'm starting to believe only the good players get banned. as the only ones i have faced in ban land are far superior to me in every way. they aren't doing anything wrong. they're just very good at this game lol

WakeNwaft1

Smash Rookie
Officialy a banbro as of 3 days ago. I called Nintendo and they said ALOT of angry players are calling up and demanding explanations, or at least transparency on the issue. I told the rep that ill be calling up daily to express my grievances, even if i get out of banland. And he urged me and any other smasher to do just that. He said the more complaints/feedback. The more likely change can be reached.

Last edited:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Officialy a banbro as of 3 days ago. I called Nintendo and they said ALOT of angry players are calling up and demanding explanations, or at least transparency on the issue. I told the rep that ill be calling up daily to express my grievances, even if i get out of banland. And he urged me and any other smasher to do just that. He said the more complaints/feedback. The more likely change can be reached.
Well, at least now we know they're aware that a lot of people are calling.

Top Bottom