• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Boards's Most Wanted Newcomer DLC Day 1: Jeff vs. Isaac

Who do you WANT more?

• Jeff

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Isaac

Votes: 30 93.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bob Bills

Smash Cadet
This is similar to a series of threads in GameFAQs, but that website has a lot of trolls and some questionable decisions were made. So, I made my own version here.

I will put 64 potential newcomers against each other. The bracket is here: challonge.com/Kingduvroc

First up we have Jeff, one of the main party members in Earthbound (and an assist trophy in Smash) versus Isaac, the protagonist of the Golden Sun series and a former assist trophy. Who do you want more?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
As a big EarthBound fan and someone who has never touched Golden Sun...

Isaac.

Jeff is such a random choice, why him? Isaac brings a new franchise and abilities to the table.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I love Jeff, but EarthBound really doesn't need that many reps. It's a miracle it's represented at all. Plus Lucas is the landslide choice for a 2nd rep since he represents a different game and sort of already has a moveset. Sorry, Mr. Andonuts, I love ya, but I AT status is the most sensible choice.

I prefer new series to old series getting new characters anyway unless it's a series that has been continually shafted (F-Zero, DK).

Plus Isaac is one of those super requested characters that I almost want to put in just so the fans can be happy. That's basically why I support Ridley (besides wanting to play as a dragon. no, charizard is not satisfying in this regard).

I'll go for Isaac.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Isaac is one of the most popular suggestions on Smashboards.

Earthbound characters outside the returning Lucas rarely get a look in. This is going to be a massacre.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I already know who's winning this poll, the next one and a few others... :p
But yeah, I'm voting for Issac as well, if only because Mother is so obscure nowadays that it's unlikely it'll ever get more representation than it did in Brawl.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hmm, looking at how the brackets are set up, I expect quite a few curb-stomp battles, haha.

Should we make this a betting game too? :p

:231:

Last edited:
Rip jeff.

some of these matchups are probably going to make me S.T.E.A.M.E.D like shadow vs wonder red.
shadow winning would make me sad as hell.

Why isn't Viridi on this list

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Why isn't Viridi on this list
lewk at teh rezet bawm farest; she'z 2 beeg, just leik reidley iz. :p

But in all seriousness, I think Hades is going to lose, no matter how charismatic he is; the new game's left a sour taste in our mouths about KI's representation (looking right at you Dark Pit >_>), so I'm pretty confident that Captain Toad will win that duel.

And we all know King K.Rool will obliterate poor Chibi-Robo. :p

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've never played Golden Sun and I enjoyed what I played of Earthbound, but Isaac seems like he'd bring so much more to the table, so I voted for him.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Isaac.

Even if I didn't love Golden Sun I'd still vote for Isaac. I think Jeff is perfectly fine as an assist trophy.

Bob Bills

Smash Cadet
Jeff is such a random choice, why him?
Look, you'd be resorting to obscure choices too if you had to come up with 64 choices.

One suggestion for op.

Making the link to the bracket more visible and making it a hyperlink.
I can't; I'm just too new a user to use hyperlinks.

Hmm, looking at how the brackets are set up, I expect quite a few curb-stomp battles, haha.

Should we make this a betting game too? :p

I shuffled all the choices after coming up with the roster, so of course some of these will be one-sided. Believe it or not, though, in a similar GameFAQs poll, Isaac lost to Travis Touchdown 22-27.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Look, you'd be resorting to obscure choices too if you had to come up with 64 choices.
Well, you didn't have to make it that big. 32 characters would have done nicely. :p

I shuffled all the choices after coming up with the roster, so of course some of these will be one-sided. Believe it or not, though, in a similar GameFAQs poll, Isaac lost to Travis Touchdown 22-27.
Pretty sure that won't happen here though. (Atleast I hope.)

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Is it bad I have absolutely no idea who Travis Touchdown is?

Last edited:
Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
This looks like it's going to be a fun game, but honestly I don't care much about most the competing characters, so I'm probably going to abstain for a lot of these matchups. If I had to arrange those competitors in a personal want list, I think it'd look like this:

"Shut up and take my money" tier: King K. Rool, Rayman, Wonder Red
"Don't support but open to the idea" tier: Isaac, Captain Toad, Porky, Dixie Kong, Banjo and Kazooie, Dark Samus, Ridley, Funky Kong, Inkling
"Either don't care or flat-out don't want" tier: everyone else

So using this data, you can guess who I'm going to vote for in the upcoming matchups :grin:

Anyway, voted and chose Isaac. I don't care about him as much as I did during the very end of the pre-SSB4 era but I still think he would make a great character with an awesome moveset. And for a Mother newcomer, if anything I think Porky could be better - villains like him can only add more value to the roster, and he could represent more than one game of the series by himself, also I don't care about this "overrepresentation" BS. I really should download Earthbound one day, but I have too many games to play as of now <_<

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Is it bad I have absolutely no idea who Travis Touchdown is?

The protagonist of ultra-crude 18s-only hack 'n' slash carve-'em-up Wii game No More Heroes.

And yes he is third-party. And totally inappropriate for Smash in every way. :3

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Going by that bracket, if it's Rayman vs. Ridley in the second round, it is going to be a bloodbath.

Top Bottom