• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Still, that's not Captain Toad's perspective.

You can't turn it off for camera controls though (which really bugged me, by the way).

@ WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever

Why don't we all just work together and make a collaboration set? I've got a good format we can use; I'll see if I can write up a draft of the Captain's set in it either later today or tomorrow. I think if we all combine our best ideas, we can make a moveset that really does the good ol' Captain justice!
That is literally the case with every game ever that isn't in first person....

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that Captain Toad has no way of knowing that that Super Gem is hidden in the underground passage that is completely out of his view.
But this is literally the same as any game that's third person. It's not a special, unique mechanic of Captain Toad.

When my opponent's character is at the bottom of Palutena's Temple, my character can't see them when they are at the top, but I can...and there is nothing unique about that.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't really see Captain Toad using such misleading and complex tactics. He's a simple man; he's not particularly smart (he comes from a "puzzle" game, but many of the puzzles involve the player doing things with the gamepad), but rather, he's lucky. He doesn't know that climbing that ladder will kill the dragon; he's just trying to get away from the lava. If you really want to take advantage of his cowardly nature like that, I'd suggest using Brick Blocks or something to create cover to hide behind.
I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one.

I think it should just disappear as soon as he jumps off, or when he creates another platform.
Well, if we had that mechanic, then it would also disappear right when an opponent knocks you off, which would be a detriment. Keeping it for a few seconds makes his air game manageable. And allowing him to create a platform at any time is just just too powerful in the neutral game.

No, but it helps compensate for his terrible air game by bringing his ground game to the air.

I don't think attacking in the air should be something that requires a ton of commitment. His air game is really bad as you said, so he's gonna need an easy way to attack in the air without using actual aerials.
True. Neutering him against aerial opponents entirely would make matchups a little too polarizing. Maybe his jump from off the ground should be just good enough to get to a set platform, but no more?

Why not just make it one hit all the time?
Because Toad isn't meant to be on the offensive and in the air as often as he's supposed to be on the ground. He can be, but it's better for him to force them down to him.

Seriously? His attacks only deal 2% each? That's what you call underpowered. Pichu's weakest ground attack deals 6%, and its weakest attack overall (barring its recovery and pummel) deals 4%. And you're telling me that Captain Toad's attacks all deal less than that?!

Unless you mean the jab, in which case I understand. :p I was referring to "standards" as in "not specials."
Sorry, I misunderstood.

Captain Toad's standard attacks tend to do 11%, with faster attacks doing as little as 7.5% and slower ones doing as much as 16%. He's a heavier hitter that is somewhat sub-average in speed. Not slow, however, as that would make him underpowered.

That's not the impression I get from his game. Either way, the predictable trajectory and telegraphed nature would still make it easy to get through.
Not with the wall set up. Being a Pac-Man player, I understand the power of limiting approaches. With the blocks, they can't just run in, with the platform, they can't just fall in with an aerial (and I'm thinking a solid platform, so no falling in), so there's this gap that Captain Toad can just toss turnips through like there's no tomorrow when opponents try to approach.

Projectile tilts are Mega Man's job. :p
And Villager's. It's been done before, and it can be done again, and Captain Toad is a perfectly legitimate candidate for it with this archetype. Of course, he'd only have 3 or so more projectiles at most, but those are enough to control the stage significantly.

Seriously though, this seems rather out of character for Captain Toad. Not to mention the fact that you're giving a character with many spammable projectiles the ability to teleport. Once he's approached, he can simply throw one of his magic boxes forwards and teleport away from the opponent, and repeat the whole act over again.
I'm not dismissing the idea of just plain blocks entirely yet, but the added mobility of warp blocks helps significantly to give Toad something interesting in his playstyle that doesn't directly do damage, and which also patches one his weaknesses.

Maybe I should make it Warp Pipes instead? Since it's the player making them appear out of the ground instead of Toad pulling it out of his backpack, it makes sense that he'd jump into one to see if they connect just out of curiosity, since that's part of his character.

I could make that Down B instead of Turnip Pluck and make Turnip Pluck Neutral B instead.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
But this is literally the same as any game that's third person. It's not a special, unique mechanic of Captain Toad.

When my opponent's character is at the bottom of Palutena's Temple, my character can't see them when they are at the top, but I can...and there is nothing unique about that.
Right; I never said it was unique. The whole "player's viewpoint" deal is strange in general. Your character has no way of knowing what's down there, but you the player do.

Anyway, getting back on track here, I just don't see Captain Toad as a "trickster" who would teleport around the battlefield like that. It just doesn't seem like his style.
I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one.
M'kay.
Well, if we had that mechanic, then it would also disappear right when an opponent knocks you off, which would be a detriment. Keeping it for a few seconds makes his air game manageable.
Could he not just make a new platform?
And allowing him to create a platform at any time is just just too powerful in the neutral game.
Then why did you give him the ability to do that?
True. Neutering him against aerial opponents entirely would make matchups a little too polarizing. Maybe his jump from off the ground should be just good enough to get to a set platform, but no more?
Perhaps.
Because Toad isn't meant to be on the offensive and in the air as often as he's supposed to be on the ground. He can be, but it's better for him to force them down to him.
I don't see what that has to do with breaking a his platform.
Sorry, I misunderstood.
No worries. :)
Captain Toad's standard attacks tend to do 11%, with faster attacks doing as little as 7.5% and slower ones doing as much as 16%. He's a heavier hitter that is somewhat sub-average in speed. Not slow, however, as that would make him underpowered.
I see.
Not with the wall set up. Being a Pac-Man player, I understand the power of limiting approaches. With the blocks, they can't just run in, with the platform, they can't just fall in with an aerial (and I'm thinking a solid platform, so no falling in), so there's this gap that Captain Toad can just toss turnips through like there's no tomorrow when opponents try to approach.
So if Captain Toad can camp under his platform and between his boxes all day long (essentially having a nigh-impenetrable fortress surrounding him), isn't that rather OP? Throwing out a good projectile in the form of Bonus Fruit is one thing. Doing so while completely surrounded by solid objects is another.
And Villager's. It's been done before, and it can be done again, and Captain Toad is a perfectly legitimate candidate for it with this archetype. Of course, he'd only have 3 or so more projectiles at most, but those are enough to control the stage significantly.
I don't see how Captain Toad is a character that would have a ton of projectiles.
I'm not dismissing the idea of just plain blocks entirely yet, but the added mobility of warp blocks helps significantly to give Toad something interesting in his playstyle that doesn't directly do damage, and which also patches one his weaknesses.
And which is also a pain to fight against. As Sakurai himself has said (roughly); don't just think about playing as the character, but also think about what it's like to play against them. There are ways to give Captain Toad added mobility without annoying his opponent via teleportation; for instance, the minecart and track concept.
Maybe I should make it Warp Pipes instead? Since it's the player making them appear out of the ground instead of Toad pulling it out of his backpack, it makes sense that he'd jump into one to see if they connect just out of curiosity, since that's part of his character.

I could make that Down B instead of Turnip Pluck and make Turnip Pluck Neutral B instead.
That's even more broken, since opponents presumably can't knock them away like they can the warp boxes.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Could he not just make a new platform?
No, because the platform is still present.

Then why did you give him the ability to do that?
I didn't. He has to destroy it first.

I think I'll do that.

I don't see what that has to do with breaking a his platform.
If he can jump up onto his own platform, then not a lot.

So if Captain Toad can camp under his platform and between his boxes all day long (essentially having a nigh-impenetrable fortress surrounding him), isn't that rather OP? Throwing out a good projectile in the form of Bonus Fruit is one thing. Doing so while completely surrounded by solid objects is another.

And which is also a pain to fight against. As Sakurai himself has said (roughly); don't just think about playing as the character, but also think about what it's like to play against them. There are ways to give Captain Toad added mobility without annoying his opponent via teleportation; for instance, the minecart and track concept.
So, I created a diagram.

It should be fairly obvious what the boxes are. The two paths are the possible trajectories of the turnip throws.

The crucial weakness in this is the ability to knock the boxes away (they're very light, and could be knocked away with a single attack), but I see what you mean about the wall being too powerful.

Here's an idea; what if the blocks are on a timer, and can only be up for about 15 seconds before disappearing and having to be set up again (ergo providing an opening for the opponent), and they both disappear after a single use? This would minimize excessive teleportation spam and open up Captain Toad for attack, shifting the game from blatantly in his control to blatantly in his opponent's control in an instant. It would be potentially satisfying for both sides, and could be fine tuned to find optimal balance relatively easily.

I don't see how Captain Toad is a character that would have a ton of projectiles.
Well, he collects a lot of things, he has a lot of stuff to potentially throw, he's known for picking up and throwing things, and it fits the playstyle best. I don't see why not.

That's even more broken, since opponents presumably can't knock them away like they can the warp boxes.
Agreed, but it was a potential alternative if you were that concerned with canon.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
No, because the platform is still present.
No, because it disappeared when he was knocked off.
I didn't. He has to destroy it first.
That doesn't change the fact that he can create platforms at will. If it's so overpowered to give Captain Toad access to a platform, then why did you?
So, I created a diagram.

It should be fairly obvious what the boxes are. The two paths are the possible trajectories of the turnip throws.

The crucial weakness in this is the ability to knock the boxes away (they're very light, and could be knocked away with a single attack), but I see what you mean about the wall being too powerful.
Well, that's a bit different from how I envisioned it. :p I thought the boxes were a bit bigger than that (at least, they were in 3D World).
Here's an idea; what if the blocks are on a timer, and can only be up for about 15 seconds before disappearing and having to be set up again (ergo providing an opening for the opponent), and they both disappear after a single use? This would minimize excessive teleportation spam and open up Captain Toad for attack, shifting the game from blatantly in his control to blatantly in his opponent's control in an instant. It would be potentially satisfying for both sides, and could be fine tuned to find optimal balance relatively easily.
I'm not sure how I feel about them being on a timer, but if you are going to stick with Captain Toad teleporting all over the place, then the boxes should definitely be destroyed after one use.
Well, he collects a lot of things, he has a lot of stuff to potentially throw, he's known for picking up and throwing things, and it fits the playstyle best. I don't see why not.
If he spent all this time collecting everything, why would he just throw all of it away?

Seriously though, Captain Toad just doesn't feel like a projectile-heavy character to me. He only really throws turnips (and maybe a couple other things) in his game, and even there, he doesn't do it that often. He just happens to find a turnip, and throws it at people like any sensible adventurer would (and as Mario, Luigi, and Peach also do in Mario 2 USA). Throwing random things isn't part of Captain Toad's character; it's a part of the levels he traverses. If anything, have a turnip throwing move, but I don't see the need to give him any more projectiles besides that.
Agreed, but it was a potential alternative if you were that concerned with canon.
It doesn't change the fact that he's teleporting all over the place, which isn't a part of his character.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
No, because it disappeared when he was knocked off.
Not before four/five seconds or so. That's why the timer's there. Even so, he couldn't use it "until he has touched ground or the ledge", meaning the ground of the stage.

That doesn't change the fact that he can create platforms at will. If it's so overpowered to give Captain Toad access to a platform, then why did you?
Not my words. It would be overpowered for him to be able to create platforms at will without having to destroy the previous one. If he can do it, then it should be a commitment.

Well, that's a bit different from how I envisioned it. :p I thought the boxes were a bit bigger than that (at least, they were in 3D World).
They shrink when you're away from them and grow when they envelop you, iirc.

I'm not sure how I feel about them being on a timer, but if you are going to stick with Captain Toad teleporting all over the place, then the boxes should definitely be destroyed after one use.
It opens up the wall, so I'd say that it'd be a necessity.

If he spent all this time collecting everything, why would he just throw all of it away?
You could say the same thing for Villager. In Smash, it's okay to bend the rules a bit. I'm not talking about throwing coins or gems, which have blatant monetary value away. I'm thinking things like the Stamp, + Clock, or Baseball.

Seriously though, Captain Toad just doesn't feel like a projectile-heavy character to me. He only really throws turnips (and maybe a couple other things) in his game, and even there, he doesn't do it that often. He just happens to find a turnip, and throws it at people like any sensible adventurer would (and as Mario, Luigi, and Peach also do in Mario 2 USA). Throwing random things isn't part of Captain Toad's character; it's a part of the levels he traverses. If anything, have a turnip throwing move, but I don't see the need to give him any more projectiles besides that.

It doesn't change the fact that he's teleporting all over the place, which isn't a part of his character.
I'd argue that fighting from a distance lends itself to his cowardly personality, and that he does it because he'd rather fight from a distance than fight up-close.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Not before four/five seconds or so. That's why the timer's there.
We're working with the assumption that the platform disappears instantly when Captain Toad gets off (the suggestion I made).
Even so, he couldn't use it "until he has touched ground or the ledge", meaning the ground of the stage.
Other characters get their recovery moves back when they're hit. Why can't Captain Toad?
Not my words. It would be overpowered for him to be able to create platforms at will without having to destroy the previous one. If he can do it, then it should be a commitment.
Destroying the previous one is as simple as jumping and using Side Special a couple of times. It's not that time consuming.
They shrink when you're away from them and grow when they envelop you, iirc.
They seem to be about Mario's height:

You could say the same thing for Villager.
He's not throwing most of his things, though; he usually waves them. And when he does throw out a projectile, it makes sense for that item. Have a slingshot? Shoot it. Have a bowling ball? It's too heavy to really "swing", so why not drop it on someone's head? Have a tree? Can't exactly swing a tree, but I do have an axe... It doesn't really make sense to throw something like a stamp.
In Smash, it's okay to bend the rules a bit. I'm not talking about throwing coins or gems, which have blatant monetary value away. I'm thinking things like the Stamp, + Clock, or Baseball.
Stamps are rather valuable; they're a collectable. He doesn't actually collect any though; they're only in 3D World's regular stages. Clocks aren't things that I imagine Captain Toad keeping in his backpack; they're just power-ups, and it doesn't really make sense to throw them (like stamps). Baseballs actually make sense... except he never encounters them.
I'd argue that fighting from a distance lends itself to his cowardly personality, and that he does it because he'd rather fight from a distance than fight up-close.
He's what you'd call a "brave coward", if that makes sense. He's scared of a lot of things, and he does often run away, but when he does go on the offensive, Captain Toad rushes into the heat of battle, and he's not one to hide in a corner and throw things like a coward. (He does fight by throwing things more often than not since that's the only option available to him, but he faces his opponent dead on, rather than hiding in a corner.)

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Has this become a replica of the "Which character is canonically the strongest in Smash" thread, where people attack and counter each argument with walls of quotes in their replies? Okay then.

Time to update my sig. Captain Toad could add some fresh air to Smash 4 as DLC.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
We're working with the assumption that the platform disappears instantly when Captain Toad gets off (the suggestion I made).
No, you're working under that assumption. I'm taking the suggestions in and considering them, but I'm not just changing everything because it's suggested. I'm editing my post with any concrete changes, and telling you my ideas on anything that's not concrete.

Other characters get their recovery moves back when they're hit. Why can't Captain Toad?
Because the rule of "one platform at a time" trumps the recovery move rule. This is to balance out the character. He has a good on-stage game, but a bad off-stage one. It's pretty simple, really; he's easy to gimp.

Destroying the previous one is as simple as jumping and using Side Special a couple of times. It's not that time consuming.
And, yet, it's more time-consuming than just running up and using Up-B again. That's the point. It's more of a commitment. (More is a relative term.)

seem to be about Mario's height:
Noted. I'll keep them about that size, though, because the size doesn't really need to be consistent for the sake of Smash.

He's not throwing most of his things, though; he usually waves them. And when he does throw out a projectile, it makes sense for that item. Have a slingshot? Shoot it. Have a bowling ball? It's too heavy to really "swing", so why not drop it on someone's head? Have a tree? Can't exactly swing a tree, but I do have an axe... It doesn't really make sense to throw something like a stamp.

Stamps are rather valuable; they're a collectable. He doesn't actually collect any though; they're only in 3D World's regular stages. Clocks aren't things that I imagine Captain Toad keeping in his backpack; they're just power-ups, and it doesn't really make sense to throw them (like stamps). Baseballs actually make sense... except he never encounters them.
Okay, if Villager doesn't work as an example, then what about Pac-Man? He throws away his fruit, and attacks with ghosts, which are traditionally his enemies, and uses a hydrant, which is traditionally an obstacle in the one game it appears in. But it's okay, because it creates a cohesive moveset that still portrays the spirit of Pac-Man. Get what I'm saying?

In my mind, him throwing something like a stamp or a clock is humorous, because it's something that he might've gotten during his adventures that he's just throwing out in a panic on the battlefield. He's not being rational, because he's being fearful.

He's what you'd call a "brave coward", if that makes sense. He's scared of a lot of things, and he does often run away, but when he does go on the offensive, Captain Toad rushes into the heat of battle, and he's not one to hide in a corner and throw things like a coward. (He does fight by throwing things more often than not since that's the only option available to him, but he faces his opponent dead on, rather than hiding in a corner.)
That's the idea. What's in his backpack is all that he has available to fight with, so he's throwing around a bunch of random things that he's collected that don't really work in a combat setting, but which he can use anyways to great effect.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
No, you're working under that assumption. I'm taking the suggestions in and considering them, but I'm not just changing everything because it's suggested. I'm editing my post with any concrete changes, and telling you my ideas on anything that's not concrete.
If you trace back this "mini conversation", you'll see that were discussing what would happen if the platform did disappear when he got off.
Because the rule of "one platform at a time" trumps the recovery move rule. This is to balance out the character. He has a good on-stage game, but a bad off-stage one. It's pretty simple, really; he's easy to gimp.
That's your choice, I suppose.
And, yet, it's more time-consuming than just running up and using Up-B again. That's the point. It's more of a commitment. (More is a relative term.)
It's still very quick and very easy to do.
Okay, if Villager doesn't work as an example, then what about Pac-Man? He throws away his fruit, and attacks with ghosts, which are traditionally his enemies, and uses a hydrant, which is traditionally an obstacle in the one game it appears in. But it's okay, because it creates a cohesive moveset that still portrays the spirit of Pac-Man. Get what I'm saying?
Pac-Man throws things for one move, and drops things for another. He's not projectile based; he just has a projectile. The same thing would apply for Captain Toad.
In my mind, him throwing something like a stamp or a clock is humorous, because it's something that he might've gotten during his adventures that he's just throwing out in a panic on the battlefield. He's not being rational, because he's being fearful.
But you don't see him do that in his games. He's fearful, sure, but he's still brave and somewhat rational.
That's the idea. What's in his backpack is all that he has available to fight with, so he's throwing around a bunch of random things that he's collected that don't really work in a combat setting, but which he can use anyways to great effect.
Except in Smash, he'd have a lot more to work with, particularly the platforms etc. he can make. In Treasure Tracker, he doesn't have any actual attacks, and he can't jump, so he throws things. In Smash, he can attack, jump, and do a bunch of other stuff, so he doesn't need to throw things.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
If you trace back this "mini conversation", you'll see that were discussing what would happen if the platform did disappear when he got off.
And I mention:
Well, if we had that mechanic, then it would also disappear right when an opponent knocks you off, which would be a detriment. Keeping it for a few seconds makes his air game manageable.
So we had a misunderstanding.

It's still very quick and very easy to do.
Point is that it's punishable this way, and not the other way.

Pac-Man throws things for one move, and drops things for another. He's not projectile based; he just has a projectile. The same thing would apply for Captain Toad.
My point was that Pac-Man bends canon, not that he's a projectile user.

But you don't see him do that in his games. He's fearful, sure, but he's still brave and somewhat rational.

Except in Smash, he'd have a lot more to work with, particularly the platforms etc. he can make. In Treasure Tracker, he doesn't have any actual attacks, and he can't jump, so he throws things. In Smash, he can attack, jump, and do a bunch of other stuff, so he doesn't need to throw things.
But, in his game, he does throw things as his main form of attacking. He doesn't need to do it in Smash, but why not keep that and build upon it? Isn't that a way to interpret the source material to a fighting game?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Has this become a replica of the "Which character is canonically the strongest in Smash" thread, where people attack and counter each argument with walls of quotes in their replies? Okay then.

Time to update my sig. Captain Toad could add some fresh air to Smash 4 as DLC.
Honestly it's better than the rather quiet nature of the thread before.

Unfortunately for some reason I'm not getting alerts that the topic has new posts, so I'm about a page behind all the conversation. When I get a spare half an hour I'll comb back through and read what everyone's put.

Also welcome to the Toad Brigade! I'll add you to the OP.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Still, that's not Captain Toad's perspective.

You can't turn it off for camera controls though (which really bugged me, by the way).

@ WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever

Why don't we all just work together and make a collaboration set? I've got a good format we can use; I'll see if I can write up a draft of the Captain's set in it either later today or tomorrow. I think if we all combine our best ideas, we can make a moveset that really does the good ol' Captain justice!
I feel we'd just fight over silly things in the end.
Some want Captain Toad to do nothing and be scared, some want teleportation, some want no-jumps and some want an engineer.
It's just not to combine, especially with the cohesion some sets offer (so you can't mix and match specials)

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
And I mention:

So we had a misunderstanding.
Indeed we did.
Point is that it's punishable this way, and not the other way.
How so?
My point was that Pac-Man bends canon, not that he's a projectile user.
He does so because there's not much else for him to work with when making a moveset. Captain Toad, on the other hand, has tons more potential than just throwing things.
But, in his game, he does throw things as his main form of attacking. He doesn't need to do it in Smash, but why not keep that and build upon it? Isn't that a way to interpret the source material to a fighting game?
Not exactly. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker isn't a game about attacking in the first place. There are some enemies here and there, sure, but it's mainly about traversing the environment and working around Captain Toad's limitations (i.e. not jumping). Let's take a look at Peach. In Super Mario Bros. 2, she attacks by throwing things at enemies. That's it. You can't even stomp on foes in this game (although you can pick them up). That's all the real combat Peach had ever done before Melee. But was her moveset all about throwing turnips? No, because there was more to her gameplay and her character. The iconic floating, which was mostly unrelated to combat, made an appearance as her main gimmick. Her turnip plucking only made an appearance as one move, while her other attacks were up close attacks that worked around her floating and her personality.

Another example is Zero Suit Samus. When you play as ZSS in the Metroid series, your only real method of attack is the paralyzer, and even that just stuns enemies so you can get away. But of course, that's not her whole moveset. It's just in a couple of moves (not counting the whip). ZSS as a whole focuses on agility and speed, delivering swift melee attacks. Sure, her paralyzer is one of her cornerstones, but it's not half of her moveset. Heck, in Smash 4, they even gave her jet boots to amplify this up-close, speedy style!

This is what I mean. Don't just take the combat elements from a non-combat-oriented game and call it a day. Extract the very essence of the character and their gameplay style as a whole, and make a moveset out of it. For Captain Toad, his game is about using the carefully tailored environments to get around with his extremely limited mobility and get to where he needs to go. So in Smash, he should be about making things that help him traverse the landscape to his liking, allowing him to be much more effective in combat than his limited mobility would otherwise allow.
I feel we'd just fight over silly things in the end.
Some want Captain Toad to do nothing and be scared, some want teleportation, some want no-jumps and some want an engineer.
It's just not to combine, especially with the cohesion some sets offer (so you can't mix and match specials)
I think at least us two are more or less on the same page. I'll get my set draft thingy written up and post it here, and anyone who likes it can join me. And if not, we always have custom moves.
i cant be bothered reading all that whats everyone bickering about?
We're discussing potential movesets for the Captain (in the hopes of submitting one to Make Your Move sometime).

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So this is my draft of how Captain Toad would play:

I'd be very appreciated if you gave feedback.

Playstyle:
Captain Toad is slow and cannot jump high at all, and his attack speed is mediocre.
However, he gains his mobility elsewhere, namely through his Specials and Smashes.

His specials are Tracker Contraptions, special contraptions that make him faster, make him jump higher and can give him new attack strategies.
Think of the contraptions as if they're Monado Arts: The best at their job, but bound to a specific situation, or in this case, location.

While Captain Toad can't to much on his own, he can traverse the stage very efficiently through the use of his contraptions, perhaps even faster than the other characters!

Now he can attack the opponent like any other character can.

A good Captain would track his way through the stage, setting up his killer apps on the right places, so he can get anywhere.

Neutral Special:
Super Pickaxe

Captain Toad stretches it's arm backwards in its backpack and stretches them out forward again with a Pickaxe in his hands.
The Pickaxe breaks every contraption Captain Toad makes and deals 10% damage om the intial hit with high knockback
If the button is held, Captain Toad keeps swinging the Pickaxe up and down, dealing 5% damage per hit with medium knockback, still breaking any contraption.

This move is key in mastering Captain Toad, as this move is the key to mastering his contraptions.
While opponents can use the contraptions too, Captain Toad can destroy the contraptions and the master plan of the opponents with this move.
Destroy minecarts that are abused by Rushdown character, destroy propellor platforms that opponents use to recover and even destroy mushroom platforms that opponents camp on!

Side Special:
Minecart

Captain Toad takes his backpack and walks while shaking it up and down.
As long as the button is held, little pieces of minecart track fall out, making the Captain surprised.
These pieces of tracks deal 2% damage with no knockback, so you could potentionally combo the opponent
When the button is released, a minecart falls out.
This minecart deals 20% damage and kills at 140%

After the minecart is dropped down, it will drive around on the track on itself at the speed of Bowser Jr. (Still trying to find a more appropriate speed) like Gogoat.
The minecart acts as a platform and can be rode.

When the Minecart hits an opponent in this state, it deals 5% and hits opponents up slightly.

Only one minecart can be up per time and the move will do nothing when used when an old Minecart is up.
The Minecart is on-stage twice as long as Pac-Man's Hydrant

The Minecart acts as a substitute for Captain Toad's low speed and as an obstacle for the opponent.
The player can choose for a short track that blocks a specific part of the stage, or for a stage-wide steaming hype-train that Captain Toad can enter.

Up Special:
Propellor Platform

Captain Toad curls up in a ball all scared, when suddenly a Propellor Platform rises him diagonally upwards at the height of Captain Falcon's Up B and at the trajectory of Pit's Up B.
Poor Captain is afraid of heights, so he's nailbiting during the whole ride, so he can't attack during it.

The facing-side of the platform has a hitbox that deals 5% damage and medium knockback.

The platform will travel back to the intial position where the platform stays out for a while and can be made rise again by pressing UpB, repeating the cycle.

Only one propellor platform can be up at the same time.
The Platform is on-stage as long as Pac-Man's Hydrant.

Down Special:
Turnip Turret:

Captain Toad shakes its backpack up and down, creating a Turnip Turret.
The Turnip Turret shoots turnips every two seconds in spurts of three.
These turnips are shot in a straight line and deal 2% damage and deal low knockback, travelling half of Battlefield.

Sometimes, instead of shooting a spurt of three turnips, the turret shoots one big turnip that deals 10% damage, but travels as slow as Falco's laser.

When Captain Toad is close to the turret, the turret acts more like Auto-Reticle, "homing in" on opponents.

Only one Turnip Turret can be up at the same time and the move will do nothing when a turret is already on the field.
The Turret is on-stage twice as long as Pac-Man's Hydrant.

Smashes:
Side Smash:

Captain Toad holds his open backpack above him and looks at it.
Too bad for the Captain, a Clear Pipe Cannon comes out and traps Captain Toad
While Captain Toad holds his hands for his eyes, scared for the ride, the clear pipe cannon shoots him straight ahead.
The Captain spins around while being shot, dealing 15% damage total and kills horizontally at 150%.
Captain Toad is shot the length comparable to the lenght Mega Man's forward smash travels.

Up Smash:
Captain Toad looks at a red dot on the ground, looking curious.
Just as he wants to touch it, it is revealed to be a mushroom platform and it grows giant quickly, taking Captain Toad with him.
Captain Toad curls up in a ball and after the mushroom is full-sized, Captain Toad admires it.
The top of the mushroom is a rounded square with the width of a Battlefield platform, deals 10% damage and heavy upwards knockback.
The stem of the mushroom is Ganondorf-sized, deals little damage and horizontal knockback

The sweetspot, killing at 120%, lies at the middle of the mushroomtop.

When the move is done, it is revealed that the top of the mushroom is in-fact a trampoline, letting Captain Toad jump twice as high when jumping on it.

But jump quick, because the mushroom dissapears in a little three seconds.

Down Smash:
Captain Toad slams his backpack in front of him, looking content with his strenght.
This "attack" deals a pathetic 5% damage and light downwards knockback.

However, a clear pipe the lenght of 1 and a half Battlefield platform breaks out of his backpack.
This attack deals 10% damage and medium knockback.

After the attack is done, Captain Toad breaks through the pipe and can travel to one of the two sides.
Then the pipe dissappears

Jab:
Captain Toad unties his backpack and shakes it up and down repeatedly.

Forward Tilt:
Captain Toad gets very scared of the nearing opponent, and hides behind his backpack as a last reflex, pushing it forward as if it was poisonous.
He doesn't even look at the opponent getting hit!
The move does 6% damage and decent knockback.

Up Tilt:
Captain Toad, wait, Captain Toad does nothing with this move!
Instead, a Piranha Plant breaks out of his backpack, biting opponents.
This attack deals 8%, but little knockback, making it eglible for comboes.
Captain Toad then notices something and decides to look back, but then the Piranha already disappeared.

Down Tilt:
Suddenly, a crop comes above ground.
Captain Toad decides to pluck it, dealing 3% damage to nearby opponents, but no knockback.
When he has plucked the reward, he dumps it onto opponents, dealing 5% damage and differing knockback
Captain Toad can namely pluck different rewards, all dealing different knockbacks.
The diamond has the highest knockback, killing at 140%, the turnip is somewhat weaker and deals medium knockback and the coin is the weakest with low knockback, but acts as a multihit attack as it spins.

Dash Attack:
Captain Toad gets dizzy, indicated by the swirls around his head, and spins around four times.
The backpack turns into a hitbox.

There's one strong, intial hit when Captain Toad starts spinning, dealing 10% damage and killing at 130%, after that the move turns weaker.
During this time, the backpack deals 5% damage and the move kills at 160%

Neutral Aerial
A diamond flies out of Captain Toad's backpack, arcing over Captain Toad's head, who catches the diamond.
Too bad for Captain Toad, the weight of the diamond drags Captain Toad along, which causes Captain Toad to spin around.
After two spins, that deals 8% damage each with each spin and medium knockback, Captain Toad drops the Diamond back in his backpack.

Forward Aerial:
Captain Toad unties his backpack and swings it forwards with both hands.
Deals 10% damage with great knockback.

Back Aerial

Up Aerial:

A power star flies out of Captain Toad's backpack.
Luckily for him, he manages to catch the star after it bounces on his hand three times.
These hits deal 2% damage and little knockback.
The real star here is the fact that the Captain uses the newfound star to attack opponents, hitting them with the top "spike" while he holds the star at it's bottom "spikes"

This attack deals 7% damage and heavy knockback, potentionally Star KO'ing opponents that are caught very high.

It's Captain Toad's best kill move, but can only be landed with smart use of his contraptions.
Down Aerial:
Captain Toad does nothing in this move!
His backpack however, breaks from all the weight.
This causes a Mega Turnip the size of Bowser Jr. to fall out and damage opponents for 9% damage.
The Turnip falls to the ground rather quickly and dissappears when it hits the ground or a shield.
The Turnip also deals medium upwards knockback.

Grab:
A Clear Pipe arises from the ground, capturing opponent's inside.
The grab is not the fastest, but makes up for it for the utility of the throws.

Pummel:
Captain Toad memorises this Clear Pipe as the Clear Pipe that got him in the Sprixie Kingdom.
He also remembers that Mario and Luigi fixed it with their hammers and comes to the idea to hammer the pipe.
Captain Toad doesn't have a hammer though and instead hits opponents with his Pickaxe.
The animation resembles the intro of 3D World, switching sides of the pipe every hit.

Forward Throw:
Captain Toad pushes the Clear Pipe to the direction chosen, causing the pipe to bend and launch the opponent that way.
The throw isn't his strongest, but suffices as a way to get opponents off stage.
Back Throw
The Clear Pipe sprouts a cannon, scaring Captain Toad, and launches the opponent backwards, which causes Captain Toad to clap and jump up and down.
And for a very good reason, since this throw is a very strong KO move, killing at 130%

Up Throw:
Captain Toad decides to look down the pipe to see if something is coming upwards.
We as Mario fans know that when there's a pipe, there's a piranha plant.
But Captain Toad doesn't, and gets scared by the Piranha Plant that comes up, damaging opponents for 14% damage in a 4-hit bite combo, before ending with a last bite for decent knockback.

Too bad Captain Toad doesn't look until the move is done.

Down Throw:
Somewhat less dangerous than the Piranha Plants are the Fuzzies that inhabit the Clear Pipes.
One of these comes up and hits the opponents.
It doesn't do much damage or knockback and only throws the opponent right in front of Captain Toad, standing behind the pipe.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Here's my moveset draft thingy. Will be updated in this post as I add stuff, so check back here every so often (I'll also probably post when I add stuff). Question marks mean moves I haven't come up with yet, and "words" means I'll add words there. Words in (parenthesis) are temporary, and I'll add detailed descriptions later. So yeah. :)

"Ready for adventure!"
CAPTAIN TOAD
Fearless leader of the Toad Brigade, Captain Toad is a brave adventurer, searching the world for gems, stars, coins, and more, and from time to time, he saves Toadette from giant bird monsters (or gets saved by Toadette from giant bird monsters). He's got his sharp wits, courage, and his bottomless pit of a backpack with tons of stuff inside of it to help in battle, and he's come prepared! As always, this set is fine tuned for Smash 4 as far as balance, stats, and the like go. With the introductions out of the way, let's venture right into this set!

STATS

Weight: Samus
Size: a bit shorter than Mario
Traction: Lucario
Ground Speed: Villager
Jump Height: Mr. Game & Watch
Air Speed: King Dedede
Fall Speed: Fox
Captain Toad, while having some adjustments made for Smash, is mostly faithful to his appearances in his games. He's heavy due to his backpack, his size is consistent, he has high ground control and traction, he has a decent ground speed (although nothing to boast about), his air speed is abysmal, he falls like a rock, and his jump height is-- wait, Captain Toad can't jump! That's his whole gimmick! Well, Captain Toad is never one to enter an adventure unprepared, so he got some help from his fellow Toad Brigade members and his friends the Lumas (who are rather good at the mechanical side of things), and they outfitted his backpack with a jetpack! He now has two thrusters on the underside of his backpack, and they only reveal themselves when he jumps. It's more of a steady ascension than one boost as a result of the thrusters, somewhat like Mewtwo's double jump. True to his games, though, he does lack a double jump, limiting his options in comparison to the rest of the cast (although he's not too horribly handicapped, due to things you'll see later on).

FLAVOR

Standing:
words
Walking:
Captain Toad walks forwards calmly, taking in his surroundings.
Running:
Captain Toad walks forwards at a slightly more brisk pace, with a more determined look on his face.
Dashing:
Captain Toad grips the straps of his backpack and dashes forwards, leaning back a bit with a slightly frightened, but still brave, look on his face.
Crouching:
words
Jump:
Captain Toad can't jump in his games, but thanks to the thrusters in his backpack/jetpack, he can get a bit of airtime here. His jump is actually a steady ascension similar to Mewtwo's double jump as a result of this.
Aerial Movement:
words
Holding an Item:
words
Shielding:
words
Spot Dodge:
words
Dodge Roll:
words
Air Dodge:
words
Entrance Animation:
A Mystery Box is seen on the battlefield. It then explodes into a puff of smoke and confetti galore, revealing none other than the fearless Captain Toad! He looks to either side, holding his hand above his eyes, to get familiar with his new surroundings, and then preps for battle.
Up Taunt:
words
Side Taunt:
words
Down Taunt:
words
Death Sound:
words
Victory Pose:
words

SPECIALS

Neutral Special - Super Pickaxe
Captain Toad opens up his backpack and pulls out a glowing blue pickaxe with eyes. He then swings it in a clean, smooth overhead arc, dealing 15% of damage and knockback that can KO at around 120%. He then puts away the pickaxe... unless you hold the special button, in which case he continues to swing the pickaxe like you would a Hammer item. He's slowed down tremendously while swinging; he can't even dash! It also has low priority during the repeated swings, so it's far from a good method of protection. There's quite a bit of starting up lag when you pull out the pickaxe, and while this is a decent KO move, it also has a more unique function. Specifically, it'll destroy any structures that Captain Toad makes! For example...

Up Special - Propeller Platform

Captain Toad can't double jump, but that doesn't mean he has no way to get some height in battle! When you use the Up Special, a propeller platform appears in a puff of smoke beneath Captain Toad! He's taken by surprise, covering his eyes and cowering over in fear if you use this below the stage (he was about to fall to his death, after all), but he regains his senses after a moment; otherwise, he just stands there like normal. When you use Up Special again, the glove that represents the Gamepad interactions in games like 3D World and Treasure Tracker (which you'll see throughout the set) appears and gives the propeller a good spin, causing the platform to rise with Captain Toad on top, great for recovering! It will ascend 1 SBB into the air at around Ganon's walk speed for each "spin" (it can ascend up to 5 SBB total), and Captain Toad is free to move around on the platform and attack. Moving to either side will cause the platform to tilt and travel in that direction, allowing for horizontal recovery as well.

While this gives Captain Toad a variety of options, the slow speed makes it very gimpable, as opponents can just knock Captain Toad off of the platform! However, you can mash the button to make it ascend faster, but this makes it trickier to attack at the same time. He can walk off to cut his recovery short as well, but the platform will remain until you destroy it with Neutral Special, meaning that you'll need to be quick if you want to make another platform after getting knocked off! When you either leave the platform or reach the maximum height, the platform will start to descend, and while you can make it ascend again by using Up Special even if you're not on the platform, but it won't surpass that maximum height, and it won't go past about the height of a Battlefield platform above the stage (to prevent camping).

Overall, this move is great for both giving Captain Toad some vertical reach for attacks and giving him a good, if gimpable, recovery option, which he desperately needs since he can't double jump. He can jump off of the platform at its maximum height for recovery, though, to somewhat simulate a double jump.

Down Special - Turnip Cannon
Captain Toad is a curious adventurer. Sometimes, he just pulls levers without knowing what they do. Like here, for instance. The glove returns and pulls a little lever out of the ground, which Captain Toad pulls. To his surprise, when he pulls the switch up, a giant Turnip Cannon pops out of the ground right below him, and he finds himself on top! The cannon will automatically shoot out turnip projectiles at a rate of about one per second, and they're about Kirby's size, dealing 5% of damage and low knockback. They move rather slowly and fall in a gentle arc. While Captain Toad is on the Turnip Cannon, he can aim it up and down by holding, well, up and down on the analog stick! You can jump off after you're done aiming with, well, the jump button, and the cannon will keep firing turnips at this angle; you can also get back on the cannon by jumping right behind it. While this can give Captain Toad a great barrier between him and his opponents, he'll have to be careful with this; the turnips can actually hurt him too! Nevertheless, this is still great for things like edgeguarding, zoning, and more, especially since you can use it on both types of platforms made with the Up Special! Oh, and of course, you can't use this in the air.

Side Special - Minecart Track
When you press this button, Captain Toad... doesn't do much. The real star here, however, is his backpack. The top flap opens, unbeknownst to Captain Toad, and out plops a short piece of minecart tracks, of all things! Captain Toad is completely oblivious to this fact, however, and holding the button causes him to simply stroll forwards casually at his regular walk speed, as pieces of track fall behind him! When you let go of the button (or reach the maximum distance of 5 SBB), a little "stopper" piece of track falls out (this is also present at the start of the track), and then a freakin' minecart falls out of the backpack! (Hammerspace, people.) Captain Toad hears the loud "thud", turns around, and is completely shocked. He thinks it appeared out of thin air, not realizing that his backpack was a bit loose. Regardless, the minecart then starts moving along the track at about Charizard's dash speed, and it acts as a solid moving platform (of course). You'll want to stay off of the tracks, since if the minecart hits you, it'll deal 10% of damage and moderate knockback! Of course, this can also happen to Captain Toad himself. If you're in the air, however, you should be fine and able to just grab onto the minecart.

You can ride it, too, standing and attacking on top of it like you would any old moving platform. You can make cannons and even mushroom platforms on top of the minecart too, opening up tons of possibilities! You can destroy the minecart with the Super Pickaxe if it gets too close for comfort, of course, and you can destroy the tracks as well, which will destroy all of them at once. If you do this while the minecart is still going back and forth, it'll go haywire and keep going! It won't stop until it hits a wall or a blast zone, both of which will destroy it. You can still ride the minecart during this, of course, but that might not be a good idea. After all, the minecart hitting a wall causes it to explode and deal
15% of damage and high knockback to anyone near it, and I don't need to tell you what happens if you ride it into the blast zone! Nevertheless, this is still an invaluable tool to Captain Toad, as it gives him a quick way to traverse the stage or even go offstage for approaches and edgeguarding. Oh, and this can only be used on the ground.

STANDARDS

Jab - Coin Pluck
words (plucks coins from the ground for a rapid, Meta Knight-esque jab)

Forward Tilt - Backpack Push
words (takes off his backpack pushes it towards the opponent, hiding behind it)

Up Tilt - Piranha Plant Bite
words (Captain Toad cowers in fear as a Piranha Plant comes out of his backpack and bites above opponents)

Down Tilt - Gem Pluck
words (Captain Toad takes a moment to pluck a Super Gem, which deals more damage than the jab but is slower)

Dash Attack - Trip
words (trips over, damaging opponents)

SMASHES

Forward Smash: Turnip Pluck and Toss
words (pulls out a turnip from the ground when you start charging, and holds it above his head during the charge; release the button to throw; the more you charge, the more the turnip grows, which increases damage and knockback but decreases the range since it's heavier and harder to throw)

Up Smash: Clear Pipe Cannon
words (Captain Toad enters a Clear Pipe Cannon and can angle it sideways during the charge; it normally faces up, but can be angled horizontally; Captain Toad is then shot out, travelling a decent distance and acting as a potential KO move if you hit at close range)

Down Smash: Dizzying Spin
words (the easter egg spin attack thingy from Treasure Tracker)

AERIALS

Neutral Aerial: Super Gem Spin
words (holds a Super Gem in front of him and spins around, the gem acting as a hitbox)

Forward Aerial: Backpack Swing
words (Captain Toad takes off his backpack and swings it forwards)

Back Aerial: Backpack Spill
words (the backpack opens and a bunch of random junk falls out behind, acting as a multi-hit attack)

Up Aerial: Power Star/Green Star Spin
words (either a green star or a yellow power star comes out of his backpack and spins around for a multi-hit attack; this is random, and is purely aesthetic)

Down Aerial: Brick Block
words (a Brick Block drops out of the bottom of his backpack, and can damage opponents or be interacted with)

Grab Aerial: Grappling Hook

words (a tether recovery using a grappling hook)

GRAB GAME

Grab: Clear Pipe Trap
words (a clear pipe comes out of the ground thanks to the glove and traps an opponent)

Pummel: Yikes, a Fuzzy!
words (a Fuzzy enemy comes through the pipe and damages the opponent)

Up Throw: Piranha Plant Bite
words (a Piranha Plant comes out of the pipe and bites the opponent, sending them upwards)

Forward Throw: Clear Pipe Bowling
words (the clear pipe angles forwards and the opponent is sent flying out, sliding/rolling along the ground)

Down Throw: Shake 'Em Out
words (Captain Toad picks up the Clear Pipe, turns it upside down, and shakes the opponent out, who is now prone on the ground)

Back Throw: Clear Pipe Cannon
words (shoots the opponent out of a clear pipe cannon; can be angled up and down for a different trajectory)

MISCELLANEOUS

Final Smash: ?
words

Miscellaneous:
- words
- words

PLAYSTYLE

words As always, feedback is greatly appreciated, and I hope you enjoyed the set! :)

Like what you see? See some more over at my Make Your Move Hub! :D

So, what do y'all think? Of course, ideas and suggestions are always welcome, and I'd love to collaborate with you all on this set! :)

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Here's my moveset draft thingy. Will be updated in this post as I add stuff, so check back here every so often (I'll also probably post when I add stuff). Question marks mean moves I haven't come up with yet, and "words" means I'll add words there. Words in (parenthesis) are temporary, and I'll add detailed descriptions later. So yeah. :)

"Ready for adventure!"
CAPTAIN TOAD
Fearless leader of the Toad Brigade, Captain Toad is a brave adventurer, searching the world for gems, stars, coins, and more, and from time to time, he saves Toadette from giant bird monsters (or gets saved by Toadette from giant bird monsters). He's got his sharp wits, courage, and his bottomless pit of a backpack with tons of stuff inside of it to help in battle, and he's come prepared! As always, this set is fine tuned for Smash 4 as far as balance, stats, and the like go. With the introductions out of the way, let's venture right into this set!

STATS

Captain Toad, while having some adjustments made for Smash, is mostly faithful to his appearances in his games. He's heavy due to his backpack, his size is consistent, he has high ground control and traction, he has a decent ground speed (although nothing to boast about), his air speed is abysmal, he falls like a rock, and his jump height is-- wait, Captain Toad can't jump! That's his whole gimmick! Well, Captain Toad is never one to enter an adventure unprepared, so he got some help from his fellow Toad Brigade members and his friends the Lumas (who are rather good at the mechanical side of things), and they outfitted his backpack with a jetpack! He now has two thrusters on the underside of his backpack, and they only reveal themselves when he jumps. It's more of a steady ascension than one boost as a result of the thrusters, somewhat like Mewtwo's double jump. True to his games, though, he does lack a double jump, limiting his options in comparison to the rest of the cast (although he's not too horribly handicapped, due to things you'll see later on).

FLAVOR

Standing:
words
Walking:
Running:
Captain Toad walks forwards at a slightly more brisk pace, with a more determined look on his face.
Dashing:
Captain Toad grips the straps of his backpack and dashes forwards, leaning back a bit with a slightly frightened, but still brave, look on his face.
Crouching:
words
Jump:
Captain Toad can't jump in his games, but thanks to the thrusters in his backpack/jetpack, he can get a bit of airtime here. His jump is actually a steady ascension similar to Mewtwo's double jump as a result of this.
Aerial Movement:
words
Holding an Item:
words
Shielding:
words
Spot Dodge:
words
Dodge Roll:
words
Air Dodge:
words
Entrance Animation:
A Mystery Box is seen on the battlefield. It then explodes into a puff of smoke and confetti galore, revealing none other than the fearless Captain Toad! He looks to either side, holding his hand above his eyes, to get familiar with his new surroundings, and then preps for battle.
Up Taunt:
words
Side Taunt:
words
Down Taunt:
words
Death Sound:
words
Victory Pose:
words

SPECIALS

Captain Toad opens up his backpack and pulls out a glowing blue pickaxe with eyes. He then swings it in a clean, smooth overhead arc, dealing 15% of damage and knockback that can KO at around 120%. He then puts away the pickaxe... unless you hold the special button, in which case he continues to swing the pickaxe like you would a Hammer item. He's slowed down tremendously while swinging; he can't even dash! It also has low priority during the repeated swings, so it's far from a good method of protection. There's quite a bit of starting up lag when you pull out the pickaxe, and while this is a decent KO move, it also has a more unique function. Specifically, it'll destroy any structures that Captain Toad makes! For example...

Up Special - Platform

Captain Toad can't double jump, but that doesn't mean he has no way to get some height in battle! When you use the Up Special on the ground, the transparent "glove" that represents the player touching the Gamepad screen in games like Super Mario 3D World and Treasure Tracker appears in front of Captain Toad and pulls a mushroom platform straight out of the ground! The platform is about the size of a Battlefield platform, and has a climbable stalk; you climb it like you would a ladder. Captain Toad is taken by surprise, as he didn't plan this; as the platform rises (by the way, you can hold the button to make it rise more; the maximum height is about 5 SBB), Captain Toad is knocked onto his back as he rides the platform up, and he only gets back up again once it settles (when you release the button). Captain Toad didn't quite plan this, but he can make use of it. For instance, try using smash attacks from this high vantage point for anti-air tactics and vertical KOs, or maybe drop things down to the ground below! You can only have one mushroom platform out at a time, however, and you can't grow a mushroom platform off of another Captain Toad's mushroom platform.

If you use this in the air, instead of the glove appearing and pulling a mushroom platform up out of the ground, a propeller platform appears in a puff of smoke beneath Captain Toad! He's once again taken by surprise, covering his eyes and cowering over in fear (he was about to fall to his death, after all), but he regains his senses after a moment. The glove, after a brief moment, appears once again and gives the propeller a good spin, causing the platform to rise with Captain Toad on top, great for recovering! It will ascend 5 SBB into the air at around Ganon's walk speed, and Captain Toad is free to move around on the platform and attack. Moving to either side will cause the platform to tilt and travel in that direction, allowing for horizontal recovery as well. While this gives Captain Toad a variety of options, the slow speed makes it very gimpable, as opponents can just knock Captain Toad off of the platform! He can walk off to cut his recovery short as well, and both of these actions will cause the platform to disappear. He won't be able to create another platform after getting knocked off or leaving the platform either, so make sure not to fall off! Oh, and of course, the platform will also disappear a moment after reaching its maximum height.

Overall, this move is great for both giving Captain Toad some vertical reach for attacks and giving him a good, if gimpable, recovery option, which he desperately needs since he can't double jump. He can jump off of the platform at its maximum height for recovery, though.

Captain Toad is a curious adventurer. Sometimes, he just pulls levers without knowing what they do. Like here, for instance. The glove returns and pulls a little lever out of the ground, which Captain Toad pulls. To his surprise, when he pulls the switch up, a giant Turnip Cannon pops out of the ground right below him, and he finds himself on top! The cannon will automatically shoot out turnip projectiles at a rate of about one per second, and they're about Kirby's size, dealing 10% of damage and moderate knockback. They move rather slowly and fall in a gentle arc. While Captain Toad is on the Turnip Cannon, he can aim it up and down by holding, well, up and down on the analog stick! While this can give Captain Toad a great barrier between him and his opponents, he'll have to be careful with this; the turnips can actually hurt him too! Nevertheless, this is still great for things like edgeguarding, zoning, and more, especially since you can use it on both types of platforms made with the Up Special! Oh, and of course, you can't use this in the air.

When you press this button, Captain Toad... doesn't do much. The real star here, however, is his backpack. The top flap opens, unbeknownst to Captain Toad, and out plops a short piece of minecart tracks, of all things! Captain Toad is completely oblivious to this fact, however, and holding the button causes him to simply stroll forwards casually at his regular walk speed, as pieces of track fall behind him! When you let go of the button, a little "stopper" piece of track falls out (this is also at the other end), and then a freakin' minecart falls out of the backpack! (Hammerspace, people.) Captain Toad hears the loud "thud", turns around, and is completely shocked. He thinks it appeared out of thin air, not realizing that his backpack was a bit loose. Regardless, the minecart then starts moving along the track at about Charizard's dash speed, and it acts as a solid moving platform (of course). You'll want to stay off of the tracks, since if the minecart hits you, it'll deal 10% of damage and moderate knockback! Of course, this can also happen to Captain Toad himself. If you're in the air, however, you should be fine and able to just grab onto the minecart.

You can ride it, too, standing and attacking on top of it like you would any old moving platform. You can make cannons and even mushroom platforms on top of the minecart too, opening up tons of possibilities! You can destroy the minecart with the Super Pickaxe if it gets too close for comfort, of course, and you can destroy the tracks as well, which will destroy all of them at once. If you do this while the minecart is still going back and forth, it'll go haywire and keep going! It won't stop until it hits a wall or a blast zone, both of which will destroy it. You can still ride the minecart during this, of course, but that might not be a good idea. After all, the minecart hitting a wall causes it to explode and deal
15% of damage and high knockback to anyone near it, and I don't need to tell you what happens if you ride it into the blast zone! Nevertheless, this is still an invaluable tool to Captain Toad, as it gives him a quick way to traverse the stage or even go offstage for approaches and edgeguarding. Oh, and this can only be used on the ground.

STANDARDS

Jab - Coin Pluck

Forward Tilt - ?
words

Up Tilt - Piranha ?
words

Down Tilt - Brick Block
words (a brick block comes out of his backpack and lands behind him; can be picked up and thrown, or broken by the pickaxe; like the move Sonicbrawler suggested)

Dash Attack - Trip

SMASHES

words (pulls out a turnip when you start charging, and holds it above his head during the charge; you can walk around during this, and release the button to throw)

Up Smash: Piranha Plant Bite
words (a Piranha Plant comes out of his backpack and bites opponents above)

AERIALS

Neutral Aerial: ?
words

Forward Aerial: ?
words

Back Aerial: ?
words

Up Aerial: ?
words

Down Aerial: ?
words

Down Aerial: Grappling Hook

GRAB GAME

Grab: Gamepad Glove Grab
words (the Gamepad glove thing grabs an opponent)

Pummel: Coin Pluck
words (pretty much the same as the jab)

Up Throw: ?
words

Forward Throw: ?
words

Down Throw: ?
words

words (shoots the opponent out of a clear pipe cannon; can be angled up and down for a different trajectory)

MISCELLANEOUS

words

Miscellaneous:
- words
- words

PLAYSTYLE

words As always, feedback is greatly appreciated, and I hope you enjoyed the set! :)

So, what do y'all think? Of course, ideas and suggestions are always welcome, and I'd love to collaborate with you all on this set! :)
Why are you so good?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

"Ready for adventure!"
CAPTAIN TOAD

STATS

FLAVOR

Standing:
words
Walking:
Running:
Dashing:
Crouching:
words
Jump:
Aerial Movement:
words
Holding an Item:
words
Shielding:
words
Spot Dodge:
words
Dodge Roll:
words
Air Dodge:
words
Entrance Animation:
Up Taunt:
words
Side Taunt:
words
Down Taunt:
words
Death Sound:
words
Victory Pose:
words

SPECIALS

Up Special - Platform

Captain Toad can't double jump, but that doesn't mean he has no way to get some height in battle! When you use the Up Special on the ground, the transparent "glove" that represents the player touching the Gamepad screen in games like Super Mario 3D World and Treasure Tracker appears in front of Captain Toad and pulls a mushroom platform straight out of the ground! The platform is about the size of a Battlefield platform, and has a climbable stalk; you climb it like you would a ladder. Captain Toad is taken by surprise, as he didn't plan this; as the platform rises (by the way, you can hold the button to make it rise more; the maximum height is about 5 SBB), Captain Toad is knocked onto his back as he rides the platform up, and he only gets back up again once it settles (when you release the button). Captain Toad didn't quite plan this, but he can make use of it. For instance, try using smash attacks from this high vantage point for anti-air tactics and vertical KOs, or maybe drop things down to the ground below! You can only have one mushroom platform out at a time, however, and you can't grow a mushroom platform off of another Captain Toad's mushroom platform.

If you use this in the air, instead of the glove appearing and pulling a mushroom platform up out of the ground, a propeller platform appears in a puff of smoke beneath Captain Toad! He's once again taken by surprise, covering his eyes and cowering over in fear (he was about to fall to his death, after all), but he regains his senses after a moment. The glove, after a brief moment, appears once again and gives the propeller a good spin, causing the platform to rise with Captain Toad on top, great for recovering! It will ascend 5 SBB into the air at around Ganon's walk speed, and Captain Toad is free to move around on the platform and attack. Moving to either side will cause the platform to tilt and travel in that direction, allowing for horizontal recovery as well. While this gives Captain Toad a variety of options, the slow speed makes it very gimpable, as opponents can just knock Captain Toad off of the platform! He can walk off to cut his recovery short as well, and both of these actions will cause the platform to disappear. He won't be able to create another platform after getting knocked off or leaving the platform either, so make sure not to fall off! Oh, and of course, the platform will also disappear a moment after reaching its maximum height.

Overall, this move is great for both giving Captain Toad some vertical reach for attacks and giving him a good, if gimpable, recovery option, which he desperately needs since he can't double jump. He can jump off of the platform at its maximum height for recovery, though.

Captain Toad is a curious adventurer. Sometimes, he just pulls levers without knowing what they do. Like here, for instance. The glove returns and pulls a little lever out of the ground, which Captain Toad pulls. To his surprise, when he pulls the switch up, a giant Turnip Cannon pops out of the ground right below him, and he finds himself on top! The cannon will automatically shoot out turnip projectiles at a rate of about one per second, and they're about Kirby's size, dealing 10% of damage and moderate knockback. They move rather slowly and fall in a gentle arc. While Captain Toad is on the Turnip Cannon, he can aim it up and down by holding, well, up and down on the analog stick! While this can give Captain Toad a great barrier between him and his opponents, he'll have to be careful with this; the turnips can actually hurt him too! Nevertheless, this is still great for things like edgeguarding, zoning, and more, especially since you can use it on both types of platforms made with the Up Special! Oh, and of course, you can't use this in the air.

When you press this button, Captain Toad... doesn't do much. The real star here, however, is his backpack. The top flap opens, unbeknownst to Captain Toad, and out plops a short piece of minecart tracks, of all things! Captain Toad is completely oblivious to this fact, however, and holding the button causes him to simply stroll forwards casually at his regular walk speed, as pieces of track fall behind him! When you let go of the button, a little "stopper" piece of track falls out (this is also at the other end), and then a freakin' minecart falls out of the backpack! (Hammerspace, people.) Captain Toad hears the loud "thud", turns around, and is completely shocked. He thinks it appeared out of thin air, not realizing that his backpack was a bit loose. Regardless, the minecart then starts moving along the track at about Charizard's dash speed, and it acts as a solid moving platform (of course). You'll want to stay off of the tracks, since if the minecart hits you, it'll deal 10% of damage and moderate knockback! Of course, this can also happen to Captain Toad himself. If you're in the air, however, you should be fine and able to just grab onto the minecart.

STANDARDS

Jab - Coin Pluck

Forward Tilt - ?
words

Up Tilt - Piranha ?
words

Down Tilt - Brick Block
words (a brick block comes out of his backpack and lands behind him; can be picked up and thrown, or broken by the pickaxe; like the move Sonicbrawler suggested)

Dash Attack - Trip

SMASHES

words (pulls out a turnip when you start charging, and holds it above his head during the charge; you can walk around during this, and release the button to throw)

Up Smash: Piranha Plant Bite
words (a Piranha Plant comes out of his backpack and bites opponents above)

AERIALS

Neutral Aerial: ?
words

Forward Aerial: ?
words

Back Aerial: ?
words

Up Aerial: ?
words

Down Aerial: ?
words

Down Aerial: Grappling Hook

GRAB GAME

Grab: Gamepad Glove Grab
words (the Gamepad glove thing grabs an opponent)

Pummel: Coin Pluck
words (pretty much the same as the jab)

Up Throw: ?
words

Forward Throw: ?
words

Down Throw: ?
words

MISCELLANEOUS

words

Miscellaneous:
- words
- words

PLAYSTYLE

Two main criticisms:

1. I don't like the idea of giving him a jetpack out of nowhere to allow him to jump. Making him able to jump only once, making him heavy, and giving him a bad air game all make it clear that his backpack is heavy like it is in Treasure Tracker. It's no more obtrusive than allowing him to attack up close when his main method of attacking is throwing in his main game; both stipulations can be made because of the nature of fighting games.
  2. I think you overemphasize just how much of what Captain Toad does is accidental and how much is on purpose. He's stupidly lucky, but he's still not dumb. He does do certain things on purpose, and it seems like he's not doing any of this stuff on his own. Maybe consider changing that a little?
Other than that, really good moveset, and actually pretty similar to mine.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Two main criticisms:

1. I don't like the idea of giving him a jetpack out of nowhere to allow him to jump. Making him able to jump only once, making him heavy, and giving him a bad air game all make it clear that his backpack is heavy like it is in Treasure Tracker. It's no more obtrusive than allowing him to attack up close when his main method of attacking is throwing in his main game; both stipulations can be made because of the nature of fighting games.
  2. I think you overemphasize just how much of what Captain Toad does is accidental and how much is on purpose. He's stupidly lucky, but he's still not dumb. He does do certain things on purpose, and it seems like he's not doing any of this stuff on his own. Maybe consider changing that a little?
Other than that, really good moveset, and actually pretty similar to mine.
Thanks! :)

The thrusters were sonicbrawler's idea, not mine. Credit where credit is due. This is a bit different from attacking up close because there's really no logical reason he couldn't attack up close in his game. It's like how Mario doesn't punch people in Super Mario World. However, the heavy backpack is part of his character, and it's made clear that he can't jump, so there should be a logical reason he can jump here when it's made clear that he can't in Treasure Tracker (like the jetpack). Another example that comes to mind (although sort of the reverse) is Sonic Labyrinth. It's a slow paced Sonic game. Now, there are a lot of those (Sonic 2006, Sonic Boom, the list goes on). Sonic is fast normally, so in the two games I mentioned, people were confused and off-put by this. But in Sonic Labyrinth, they explained it by having Dr. Robotnik put special slow down shoes on Sonic. It made sense, so while people might have still been a bit ticked off that it wasn't the fast paced Sonic game they were looking for, they at least weren't confused. It was in character for Robotnik to do something silly like this. The same sort of thing applies to the jet-back-pack.

As for the whole "luck" part, I do plan to have more deliberate actions in the rest of the moveset, such as the jab, pummel, back throw, et cetera. Besides, even the "luck-based" moves have Captain Toad involved for the most part. Even the moves he's not directly involved in can be used by Captain Toad for offense. Up special, for instance, can be used to attack from high above. There's "luck" involved, sure, but I see it like playing Mario Kart; you happen to get a green shell because of luck, but you consciously throw it at the driver ahead of you. Captain Toad gets lucky a lot (he happens to find a turnip), but he uses that luck deliberately to accomplish his goal (he throws the turnip at a Shy Guy). That's the sort of thing I'm trying to capture here.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Can someone critisise my moveset too?
I feel the current moves capture the playstyle the best, with the rest being fairly generic backpack gymnastics.
I think one big issue your set has is where the moves are placed (like, which input and whatnot). Up smash could easily be combined into up special, forward tilt really oughta just be a down smash, and down smash feels more like a special move.

I'm not a big fan of down smash as a special move either to be honest, due to the randomness. No one's going to use it if there's a good chance they'll be attacked for using it, or that it'll do absolutely nothing. It has no use since it's so inconsistent. Peach's turnips at least all have the same general use; you throw it at people. The same thing applies for things like Game & Watch's Judge and Luigi's Green Missile.

Side smash also seems pretty strange and out of place. Captain Toad's gameplay style is about making constructs that he can use for transportation and mobility (minecarts, platforms, etc), but here, he's pretty much launching himself through the air, which sort of goes against his general playstyle. From a visual standpoint, sure, it's the cannon doing the launching, but it's only an animation. Gameplay wise, he's just flying through the air on his own. No one will use a minecart to get around if they can just fly across the stage like this, which sort of defeats the purpose.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Thanks! :)

The thrusters were sonicbrawler's idea, not mine. Credit where credit is due. This is a bit different from attacking up close because there's really no logical reason he couldn't attack up close in his game. It's like how Mario doesn't punch people in Super Mario World. However, the heavy backpack is part of his character, and it's made clear that he can't jump, so there should be a logical reason he can jump here when it's made clear that he can't in Treasure Tracker (like the jetpack). Another example that comes to mind (although sort of the reverse) is Sonic Labyrinth. It's a slow paced Sonic game. Now, there are a lot of those (Sonic 2006, Sonic Boom, the list goes on). Sonic is fast normally, so in the two games I mentioned, people were confused and off-put by this. But in Sonic Labyrinth, they explained it by having Dr. Robotnik put special slow down shoes on Sonic. It made sense, so while people might have still been a bit ticked off that it wasn't the fast paced Sonic game they were looking for, they at least weren't confused. It was in character for Robotnik to do something silly like this. The same sort of thing applies to the jet-back-pack.

As for the whole "luck" part, I do plan to have more deliberate actions in the rest of the moveset, such as the jab, pummel, back throw, et cetera. Besides, even the "luck-based" moves have Captain Toad involved for the most part. Even the moves he's not directly involved in can be used by Captain Toad for offense. Up special, for instance, can be used to attack from high above. There's "luck" involved, sure, but I see it like playing Mario Kart; you happen to get a green shell because of luck, but you consciously throw it at the driver ahead of you. Captain Toad gets lucky a lot (he happens to find a turnip), but he uses that luck deliberately to accomplish his goal (he throws the turnip at a Shy Guy). That's the sort of thing I'm trying to capture here.
Well, since he's not adventuring, doesn't it make sense that he's simply carrying less on him than he typically would, and emptied things he thought he wouldn't need specifically so he could jump in Smash? That seems like as logical a reason as any for him jumping to me, and it doesn't feel as forced as making him wear a jetpack. (Disclaimer: opinion.)

Okay, it's understandable that it would show most in the specials. Just be sure to watch out for that whenever you continue on with the rest of it.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Well, since he's not adventuring, doesn't it make sense that he's simply carrying less on him than he typically would, and emptied things he thought he wouldn't need specifically so he could jump in Smash? That seems like as logical a reason as any for him jumping to me, and it doesn't feel as forced as making him wear a jetpack. (Disclaimer: opinion.)
He does always come prepared for any situation, so more materials and a jet-back-pack would seem more desirable than less materials and no jet-back-pack.
Okay, it's understandable that it would show most in the specials. Just be sure to watch out for that whenever you continue on with the rest of it.
Will do.

By the way, if anyone has ideas for moves/would like to collaborate on the set with me, let me know! I think it'd be better to join together and make one moveset rather than everyone make their own, because A) that way we can share and combine everyone's best ideas, and B) so that MYM isn't flooded with Captain Toad movesets. :p

For a point of comparison, Nathan Drake in Playstation All-Stars had moves based around "unlucky stuff happening to him and it working out for him", and just so happens to be a treasure hunter. I basically imagine a similar moveset to that for Captain Toad, only with more appropriate aesthetics (like change shooting a pistol behind cover to throwing turnips while hiding in a mine cart).

It wasn't his entire moveset (also this video contains footage from the Uncharted games which are rated PEGI 16, so keep that in mind), but I imagine a similar moveset for Captain Toad, with a much bigger emphasis on the "accident" side. I also think Drake's cover mechanic in All-Stars could serve as inspiration for similar move for Captain Toad, like a mine cart full of turnips.
I'm actually all for this idea. Not because I'm biased for Nathan Drake and all that but... it just makes sense for Captain Toad imo

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I'm actually all for this idea. Not because I'm biased for Nathan Drake and all that but... it just makes sense for Captain Toad imo
Then you might like the moveset I'm working on (it's posted above, in the spoiler tags). It sort of uses that same concept, with things happening to Captain Toad (i.e. a mushroom platform growing out of the ground) and him working with it (i.e. using an attack to drop a block from the top of the mushroom down onto the ground). It's still in the very early stages, but I've got a bit of it written up.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think one big issue your set has is where the moves are placed (like, which input and whatnot). Up smash could easily be combined into up special, forward tilt really oughta just be a down smash, and down smash feels more like a special move.

I'm not a big fan of down smash as a special move either to be honest, due to the randomness. No one's going to use it if there's a good chance they'll be attacked for using it, or that it'll do absolutely nothing. It has no use since it's so inconsistent. Peach's turnips at least all have the same general use; you throw it at people. The same thing applies for things like Game & Watch's Judge and Luigi's Green Missile.

Side smash also seems pretty strange and out of place. Captain Toad's gameplay style is about making constructs that he can use for transportation and mobility (minecarts, platforms, etc), but here, he's pretty much launching himself through the air, which sort of goes against his general playstyle. From a visual standpoint, sure, it's the cannon doing the launching, but it's only an animation. Gameplay wise, he's just flying through the air on his own. No one will use a minecart to get around if they can just fly across the stage like this, which sort of defeats the purpose.
On it boss, I'll replace Clear Pipe Cannon with an actual Clear Pipe and remove the current DSmash.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
On it boss, I'll replace Clear Pipe Cannon with an actual Clear Pipe and remove the current DSmash.
Why don't we just collaborate on one set? Instead of making two nearly identical movesets with some differences, why not just combine the best ideas from both sets and wrap it all into one neat, shiny moveset, and make the set better as a result? I think it'd be the better option here.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Why don't we just collaborate on one set? Instead of making two nearly identical movesets with some differences, why not just combine the best ideas from both sets and wrap it all into one neat, shiny moveset, and make the set better as a result? I think it'd be the better option here.
Well, I'm just pumping out ideas so we can put them together at the end.
We both seem to be on the same track indeed

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Well, I'm just pumping out ideas so we can put them together at the end.
We both seem to be on the same track indeed
True, but it might be a bit simpler to just suggest ideas for one moveset than to make two different movesets and try to merge them together.

I see what you did there by the way.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You'll forgive me if I keep my moveset its own entity.

While there are similarities, there are also distinct differences, and I've been crafting in my mind just how the character I have in mind will work, so I'm pretty sure I'll work best on my own.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Wait, people are trying to create a moveset for the OP after debating?

...Why not just make our own individual ones and put them all in the OP rather than shoot each others down and mix and match them? I mean, Sakurai makes movesets all on his own, and I certainly feel capable of conceptualising them too.

Last edited:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Wait, people are trying to create a moveset for the OP after debating?

...Why not just make our own individual ones and put them all in the OP rather than shoot each others down and mix and match them? I mean, Sakurai makes movesets all on his own, and I certainly feel capable of conceptualising them too.
Oh, I'm fine with multiple movesets in the OP. I'm talking about the potential to submit the set to Make Your Move.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Oh, I'm fine with multiple movesets in the OP. I'm talking about the potential to submit the set to Make Your Move.
With all due respect, I might submit mine to Make Your Move as well despite the similarities to other Captain Toad movesets there. Because of the similar source material and the similar archetypes, we just both came up with similar ideas. I don't think that there's a problem with that, really.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
With all due respect, I might submit mine to Make Your Move as well despite the similarities to other Captain Toad movesets there. Because of the similar source material and the similar archetypes, we just both came up with similar ideas. I don't think that there's a problem with that, really.
Okay, that's fine. You'll need an entire moveset though, not just specials. I just thought it'd be fun for the entire thread to get together and work on a moveset together.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't really see a need to. People could just make submissions to that thread independently, and people in that thread could vote on the best one.

I started brainstorming and fleshing out a moveset just for my own fun.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
I don't really see a need to. People could just make submissions to that thread independently, and people in that thread could vote on the best one.

I started brainstorming and fleshing out a moveset just for my own fun.
I'd just hate to clog up the thread with a bunch of similar movesets when there really isn't a need to. There isn't really any voting on a group of sets like what you're saying; all sets are voted on at the same time.

Plus, if we take the best ideas from each set and combine them into one, the sets will naturally benefit from it. And I thought it'd be fun to have the entire thread join together and work on a moveset to submit and sort of "represent" us, if that makes sense. :/

Top Bottom