• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shock to grab

tddavis

Smash Cadet
what kind of shock do you guys do, a DJC or a shuffle? because evertime I try to do a shock to a grab the shock knocks them to far away to follow up. Even with my DJC it does a little pop of damage at the end that knocks them back. I really want to learn to do but I am getting really frustrated on how to control the shock.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
DjC
The key is to not sweetspot the fair. If you do, the last spark will connect which has the knockback. To avoid hitting with the last spark, DjC the fair low to the ground and hit the ground before it comes out to end the fair. Then grab. But keep in mind that this IS escapable, it's just not too easy to do.

But you can SH it. Just make sure that you SH it late so that you are near the ground.

Fast falling always helps.

DD151

Smash Journeyman
I think it works better at lower %'s.

You just need to make sure the last hit doesn't connect so the opponent doesn't get knocked back, and this is more easily done with a DJC fair than a SH one. Also after the fair you'll usually have to dash forward into a JC grab from my experience.

FzGhouL

Smash Rookie
Oh this may help my game. Never occurred to me as a viable combo.

Psi

Smash Cadet
I've been trying this with very little success. Assuming I hit them and don't shield grabbed, I can't start dashing quick enough to land the JC grab.

I think at least part of my problem is L-cancelling it. I'm having a lot of trouble because you have to be hitting so many other buttons at the same time. I've been trying to use A to attack but then Z to L-cancel.

Any suggestions?

arrowhead

Smash Ace
if you can't grab right after the fair, don't grab. dash cancelled grabs are too slow

and you don't use Z to L-cancel. that's probably what your problem is

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I've been trying this with very little success. Assuming I hit them and don't shield grabbed, I can't start dashing quick enough to land the JC grab.

I think at least part of my problem is L-cancelling it. I'm having a lot of trouble because you have to be hitting so many other buttons at the same time. I've been trying to use A to attack but then Z to L-cancel.

Any suggestions?
l cancel with l, not z, because you'd need z to grab. Probably the reason you aren't hitting it is because of a missed l cancel. I've seen someone do this with the weak hit of the n-air too. any tips on that?

Psi

Smash Cadet
Sorry I should've been more specific. I already DJC to JC grab but for some reason even when the last spark doesn't hit I can't get the grab off in time. Its the L-cancel on the DJC fair that I can't get off consistently.

I was asking about using Z to L-cancel because then you could just tap Z three times instead of having to worry about different buttons. Once to Fair, once to L-cancel, and once to grab. Maybe that's a bad idea though. I may go back to trying the normal way.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Well, If you are going to use ZZZ,you will have to squeeze in a jump button right before the last Z which may be hard. I always use L to L-cancel.

Psi

Smash Cadet
I think you're right. I'm not having much luck with the Z-cancel idea so I guess I'll go back to trying the traditional way and see how that works.

arrowhead

Smash Ace
is it faster to grab with Z after the L-cancel or hold L and press A? or are they the same speed?

oh haha post 100 :p. thanks earthbound

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Virtually, both methods can be the same, but taking into finger speed, I think L+A would be faster. I still use Z though.

BTW, congrats on 100 posts arrowhead :)

EDIT: I smell dead people.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
do what umbreonmow recommends: practice l-canceling with space animals. after practicing shffling aerials into shine combos with fox, my shock to grab with ness is now nearly kampeki. i know, it's fox, but for the practical value, right?

Edit: i use L to l-cancel, and jumpcancel Z to grab..

Top Bottom