• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shine out of dash?

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to shine out of dash? Do I have to crouch first? jump cancel? Or is it just not a thing?

-_Face_-

Smash Apprentice
so do you literally just go straight from dash into shine? or is there a particular timing for the inputs?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
well you do have to wait until youre out of the initial dash animation (the window for dash dancing). once youre out of that, you can do a shine. if you want to do a shine within the initial dash animation, you have to jump beforehand.

Thor

Smash Champion
You could just always JC-shine for consistency. Then you don't even have to think about trying to shine during a dash and accidentally trying it during the initial dash animation.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
You can't shine out of dash, you can out of run. (If you look closely you will see when your character enters run animation, it's slightly different from the dash animation.)

You could just always JC-shine for consistency. Then you don't even have to think about trying to shine during a dash and accidentally trying it during the initial dash animation.
This is bad advice imo. It's a lot easier to be consistent with shines out of run than jc shines. Also you should anyway learn how your how long it takes for dash to convert to run, so you can use dash dancing and run cancels RARs and pivot grabs effectively. It's useful to be able to do longer dashes by releasing stick at the end of initial dash so you won't start running, but can dash back.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
tauKhan said:
You can't shine out of dash, you can out of run. (If you look closely you will see when your character enters run animation, it's very different from the dash animation.)

This is bad advice imo.It's a lot easier to be consistent with shines out of run than jc shines.
1) Many people call dashing the part you call running too. If there's some distinction made by guys like Mango, PPMD, M2K, or whomever, tell me, because everyone I know says Captain Falcon has the fastest "dashing speed" so he can go the furthest distance in the shortest amount of time - and they don't do it foxtrotting. At least, the three posters to this thread seem to equate running with dashing or whatever.

2) JC shine also has OoS applications, so if you learn it now, you kill 3 birds with one stone - shine out of dash animation, shine out of run, and shine out of shield. It's not easy, no, but it has more applications than just "Oops I accidentally tried shining during the dash animation." It also then gives you the basis for multishining, if you cares to learn that.

3) If he can JC shine, it's not bad advice because it's not that hard for him, and based on the OP, it made it sound like either he can JC shine or he's willing to learn so he can shine out of dash/initial dash/run/ whatever it's called, and since learning to JC shine has other nice uses, it's probably worth learning to do.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
1) Many people call dashing the part you call running too. If there's some distinction made by guys like Mango, PPMD, M2K, or whomever, tell me, because everyone I know says Captain Falcon has the fastest "dashing speed" so he can go the furthest distance in the shortest amount of time - and they don't do it foxtrotting. At least, the three posters to this thread seem to equate running with dashing or whatever.
And this is a huge problem because there are posters who say
Yes, you can shine out of dash. You just have to have quick fingers.
Dashing state and running should be differentiated, because they are functionally very different. I know most smashers don't differentiate them, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't.

You are right though that jc shines are useful, but you shouldn't do them out of run because a) it's not as consistent b) it's slower. Also if you jump out of jc shine immediately, you'll still be aerial and dj, which requires different timing if you want to wl.

Edit: There is fortunately also players who do differentiate run and dash. For example, look at the RAR explanation section of http://smashboards.com/threads/project-m-the-underused-techniques-youre-probably-not-using.354762/

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
JC is definintely useful, but i agree that theres no point in using it out of a run. if the situation calls for a shine when the opponent is very close to you, but just out of reach, then yes, you could do a JC shine since theres no other way to do it out of the dash animation. but like has been said, you CAN do it out of the run animation, after the DD window is over.

The information in the link tauKhan put up is good to go over, because it helps you get an idea of what options you have out of both dashes, and runs (because the options ARE different).

tauKhan

Smash Lord
By the way, DD window is a bit inaccurate description. You can dash back out of your dash throughout your dash animation (In melee though you can't dash back in the first 3 frames of forward dash, not sure about pm). Running is the option that actually has window that starts after what I call initial dash, and after it ends you can do dash in any direction until the dash ends.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
well for the purpose of what i was talking about, the initial dash animation is the animation when your character can dash dance. after the dash dance window is up, it transitions into a run, where you cant dash backwards, but you can crouch. i think we might be trying to say the same thing but with different terminology. im not too familiar with whatever 3 frame window youre talking about, and thats definitely not was i was referring to.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
My point was that running is the option which has window. For example with fox in melee, dash back is available on frames 4 - 21 of dash, and run is available on 12-19. So it's bit silly to call the initial dash a dash dance window. And dash doesn't transition into run unless you input run.

Edit: This is going nowhere and you certainly understand the dash well. My point is that you shouldn't limit yourself to the "initial dash" part in dash dance, and was referring to
after the dash dance window is up, it transitions into a run
I just want more players to explore using longer dashes, and for that reason I hate the term dash dance window, because you really can use as long dashes as you like during dancing.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
what you just said proved exactly what i was saying. if dash back is available on frames 4-21 of a dash, then that is the window where you can perform a dash dance. im not calling any of the movements "dash dance windows," im just saying that there IS a dash dance window that is present within the dash, which then transitions to a run (yes i know transitioning into this is optional if you release the control stick) in which you cannot dash backwards.

whatever the nomenclature is, you cannot crouch before the dash dance window is up. once that window is over, you can crouch to cancel your run. that is how you can easily determine if you can perform a down b, or if you need to jump before your shine to perform it. this part is fact.

Top Bottom