• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Sep 27, 2014] Who's Tyler? X!!! It's coming this month!!! (Tyler, TX)

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Tyler, TX is the grassroots scene of all grassroots scenes. In a world where Super Smash Bros. is being monetized by everybody everywhere, we continued hosting our small, humble local events, in our tiny little library. Now and then, some top players would show up! People like Denti, PWii, Vinnie, Gnes, and Trela have all attended events. However, these events continued hosting brawl, staying small, and enjoying our game with little to no profit for anyone.

UNTIL TODAY

Who's Tyler? X Is making changes in the Tyler scene, folks! The first couple of things I would like to announce are:

BRAWL ONLY!

That's right! This event will feature BRAWL ONLY!!!!!!! This is the first time a major event will feature Brawl by itself in at least a year! Ever since the Melee Documentary(which is great, by the way) released, we have been dictated by melee in every way. Today, I stand in honor of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and the knowledge that his game CAN and WILL survive on its own.

Secondly, this event has a guaranteed, locked in $100 pot bonus, this is subject to grow, as I talk to and try to meet with some local sponsors and see if I can raise that some. I may even throw another $100 or so on the day of, if everything goes according to plan. No promises on anything other than the $100 pot, however.

Venue:
The venue is Holiday Inn on South Broadway in Tyler.

Address: 5701 S. Broadway Ave, Tyler, Texas 75701

It is kind of hard to find the venue's entrance, but if you just look for the big "Holiday Inn" Sign on the road, you'll find the drive way and be fine.

We have two rooms available to us, and we are using both. They are 672 Sq. feet a piece, 1,344 Sq feet total. This is about twice the space available to us at the Library in Lindale. They said we can fit about 40 people in each room based on my layout, so this could mean we have a great amount of space, assuming we don't break 100 entrants. If we have 100 entrants we'll just make it work lol, but we'll see.
You can ask where it is at the front desk, and if you're a mega introvert nerd, just walk in the front doors> turn left> go through big doors into the "Pre-Function Hall"> Look for the sign that says "Who's Tyler? X" on the last two rooms on your right/listen for loud sweaty nerds

Events/Prices:
Venue Fee: $10 per person($5 if you bring a set-up(wii/tv/ssbb)

Brawl Singles: $10 per player
Brawl Doubles: $5 per player ($10 per team)

Mid+low tier doubles: $5 per player($10 per team)

Schedule:
Saturday, September 27th, 2014
Registration opens: 10:30am
Brawl Doubles Starts: 12:00pm
LUNCH BREAK: 2:00pm-3:00pm, this mean you have to be BACK AT THE VENUE BY 3:00PM.
Brawl Singles Starts: 3:00pm
Mid+low Doubles Starts: 5:00pm
VENUE CLOSES: 12:00am, we SHOULD be done. in the case we aren't, we'll figure out somewhere to go and finish up finals or whatever we got to do.

Payouts:
Brawl Singles($100 pot):
1st==50%
2nd==30%
3rd==15%
4th==5%
5th/5th==$10(you get your money back)

Brawl Doubles(no pot YET)
1st==60%
2nd==30%
3rd==10%
4th==$10(you get your money back)

Mid+Low Doubles(no pot)
1st==60%
2nd==30%
3rd==10%

Rules:
http://www.apex-series.com/rules/brawl/

Mid+Low Tier Doubles will be using Tier List V8 with D tier being the highest legal tier.

Etc.:
If you need housing, ask in this thread or on the facebook event page and ask for housing.

For food, there are lots of places to eat. South Broadway is on of the main hubs of life in Tyler, so while the road is busy, the restaurants are very numerous. McDonalds, Chick Fil A, Olive Garden, Outback and Applebess(these take too long) Sonic, very close by there is also a whataburger, burger king, taco bell, ANOTHER McDonalds, etc. Just pick one and enjoy during the lunch period!

The Hotel will be selling soda in our venue space, so you can feel free to purchase this as well.

http://www.tourneylocator.com/Tourney/20403 TLoc thread

Last edited:

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Introducing:
The Texas Legends Special!!!
The following players will get the chance to enter Brawl Singles for FREE at this event, in an effort to bring some old gens back together for the final brawl Texas event! If your name is on the following list, you are able to attend this event without paying for singles entry! (Please note: this does NOT affect the pot, I will pay for them personally.)
*Yellow indicates they have not claimed this discount
*Green indicates they have claimed this discount
*Red indicates they have declined this discount, and this spot will be offered to another player
(Discounts must be claimed by September 1st to be valid.)

Infinity
Gnes
Dojo
Ultimate_Razer
Fogo

Espy
Dphat
UTDZac
Trela
DMG

fliphop

Donate for MVD today! icecreamssb@gmail.com

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
So the extra 3$ you added onto the other venue fees that included PM at the event was going to a pot exclusively for brawl? That's a little disappointing.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I'll be there. Filled my truck with some Houston peeps. 3-5

Smash 4 is out like a week after this event, if people wanna lose to my brawl samus one last time, Let's MM.

Last edited:

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
I might be there if I can figure out how to crush spirits with ICs.

Edit: if I come I'm bringing the BS (Bossier Smash) with me, which is about 3-4 of us.

Last edited:

OAM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OAM37
depends on whether or not I'm working and/or have the gas money to travel to this. If something changes, I'll keep you guys posted.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
So the extra 3$ you added onto the other venue fees that included PM at the event was going to a pot exclusively for brawl? That's a little disappointing.
Why u do dis to me?
I like to think that the guy peeking in the door in the GIF up there is the melee scene

But real talk, the extra $3 is doing a but more than just a pot bonus~ it's making a down payment on the venue, it's doing other hype stuff y'all don't know about yet, AND I don't think it was unjustified because I profited none from any of the events, and also donated about $100 to the Tyler fund over the course of this year.
Your extra $3 is going towards throwing brawl a nice "going away" party. #oneunit

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I'm excited to see what jank ruleset you can come up with this time.
Also, woo, let's give the players who are already gonna win money free entry!

It all sounds pretty hype, but don't expect too much of a showing from my group because they've mostly turned into PM players.
I'm tempted to go soley so that I can re-take you guys' money and run back on Labernash. Minifox is a hopeless cause, though, that's literally the most useless matchup to ever put effort into.

KVLTofMetal

Smash Lord
NNID
KVLTLancelot
I'm excited to see what jank ruleset you can come up with this time.
Also, woo, let's give the players who are already gonna win money free entry!

It all sounds pretty hype, but don't expect too much of a showing from my group because they've mostly turned into PM players.
I'm tempted to go soley so that I can re-take you guys' money and run back on Labernash. Minifox is a hopeless cause, though, that's literally the most useless matchup to ever put effort into.

Bring KRD with you. I want to see whose wolf is superior now.
If he's out of practice from PM, the better

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
It's not inherently a disdain for PM(although I am not personally a fan,) it's just a time to give brawl the spotlight, which PM and melee have taken ever since evo 2013

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Random and off topic, but I forget what happened to your old forum Rel.
Y'know, back in 08 when Scatz Dyz u me etc. played a lot of wifi.

YellowRello

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YellowRello
3DS FC
4141-4335-8308
Yeah man I stopped playing and quit smash for a while and came back 13' yo we played all the time, Good times

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Was mostly asking why you shutdown the site, thought it was like some argument with another site cause I still remember the flood of people clustering our Xat back in 08. Not sure if it was AiB or just another of the millions SSBB clans back then being made.

OAM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OAM37
here I was thinking this was in Lindale ... I'll talk it out with the missus and see what's up. I'm a maybe for right now, still grinding that work hustle, trying to find a job!

I'll also let Keys and the Texarkana guys know this is going on too, maybe they'll want to do a roadtrip.

Shiro_lod

Smash Cadet
I'm down in MIssissippi, but my friend and I have been looking for just Brawl tournaments for awhile. Were not big on project M or Melee, but the local game shops/community colleges don't have any players who are super competitive for brawl. We've kinda stuck at our play level for awhile with no competition driving us.

Were going to be looking into driving up for this, I'll keep an eye on this thread and hopefully be able to make it up there. Right now it looks like we should be able to. Looking forward to getting stomped =P

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Not sure if I can announce his name so I'll keep it as vague as possible. See if you can decrypt this:

1. I am brining a player from OOS. He could be from Florida, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia or South Carolina.

2. He doesn't main MK but he mains one of the following characters. Falco, ICs, Snake, Olimar, Diddy or Marth.

3. He is in the top 3 of his character.

Edit: mid+low tier doubles?!?!? @ YellowRello YellowRello we doing this or reg doubles? Your call, miss.

Edit 2: I'll MM anybody and their low tier. Hit me up!

Edit 3: I am the co-TO at this event. There will be two rooms at the venue and I'll be doing doubles and the side event while IceCream will be doing singles

Last edited:
Top Bottom