• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Sep 13, 2014] UNC Fall Gamefest 2014 (Chapel Hill, NC)

Not Rick

Smash Rookie
Melee/PM/Brawl tournament hosted by UNC eSports club

EDIT: Result Thread - http://smashboards.com/threads/unc-fall-gamefest-2014-results.367935/

• No Venue fee

• Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/286200954915558/

Schedule:
12:00 - Venue opens, registration for all games begins
12:30 - Brawl Singles registration ends, tournament to begin soon after
1:00 - Melee Doubles registration ends, tournament to begin soon after
2:30 - Project M Singles registration ends, tournament to begin soon after
5:00 - Melee Singles registration ends, tournament to begin soon after, assuming PM bracket has made enough progress
12:00 - All events done by this time, venue closes

Don’t be late. No one will be allowed to sign up after the deadlines so plan to get here early if you’re worried about traffic or something holding you up.

Money

As stated no venue free
$5 for singles, $10/team for doubles

Payout is planned as 60/30/10, but will extend to paying top 4 or 5 depending on number of entrants for each event

Please bring setups! We need CRTs, cubes, Wiis, and possibly power strips. The UNC eSports club will provide a few CRTs with no consoles, so we would still appreciate if you can bring a console with no TV. We will not offer a discount for setups becuase there is no venue fee and we don't want to reduce the prize pool, but the tournament will only run smoothly if people step up and bring setups as they have in the past.

Food

Lots of places to eat on Franklin St. (5 min. walk north of the venue), also a Wendy’s and a bagel shop at the Student Union. Venue has a vending machine with snacks and drinks for $1.25.

Rules
APEX rules
http://www.apex-series.com/rules/melee/
http://www.apex-series.com/rules/projectm/

Parking
There is a lot directly adjacent to Sitterson, though it is pretty small and will fill up. In this case, there are many lots on campus that are free for anyone to park in on the weekends, no permit required. If you need help finding one, just check out this sweet crudely drawn map!

Last edited:

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
why did you schedule this for a day that already has a tournament already scheduled?

Not Rick

Smash Rookie
why did you schedule this for a day that already has a tournament already scheduled?
I didn't schedule this event at all. This is a multi-game event planned by the UNC eSports club and is one of our 2 large LANs for the year. These events are planned mainly around other events happening at UNC rather than events in the various game communities because most of the attendees are UNC students.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
I'll probably be there. How many people are likely to enter Melee? 400 is a ton of people, if 1/8 enter Melee this is going to be a big tournament. There are so many games, though, I don't know if it's safe to assume we'll get 50 of those 400.

lazymp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mpittman17
I'll probably be there. How many people are likely to enter Melee? 400 is a ton of people, if 1/8 enter Melee this is going to be a big tournament. There are so many games, though, I don't know if it's safe to assume we'll get 50 of those 400.
It's safe to assume there will be 40+, if not 50+

Not Rick

Smash Rookie
Last Gamefest had 54 entrants for melee and our August monthly had 45, so I expect something between 45-60 again. Smash will have the biggest entrance numbers of all the games except for League.

Last edited:

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
Sweeeeet. In that case, I'll almost definitely go. What about friendlies? Are we going to have to clear out once the tournament's done so other games can run their tournaments or will they let us sit around and play friendlies?

Not Rick

Smash Rookie
There will probably end up being time to play Melee friendlies between doubles and singles because PM singles happens in between those 2. Since Melee singles is starting at 5, the bracket should have moved far enough that setups will free up for friendlies sometime later in the evening, and you can play friendlies until midnight when the venue closes.

Mephisto_

Smash Rookie
Everywhere I look this is scheduled for either the 14th or the 15th but I'm not sure which day smashbros is...

Last edited:
Top Bottom