• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secret Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
I believe the pic of the day with the mii wearing meta knight's mask proves there are going to be characters he won't announce pre release, this would explain the game and watch situation where Sakurai showed him in the pac man video and with the ice climbers showing the polar bear and with wario showing his logo. So who do you think for newcomers will be secret characters not announced pre release?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wario and Ice Climbers will surely be starters, they don't make sense as unlockables imo, especially not the latter. I do also believe some of the announced characters will be hidden, I don't believe we're going to see four Fire Emblem starters, the franchise usually has unlockables, hell it used to be entirely unlockable. I do agree with you on G&W and probably Meta Knight too.

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
Currently revealed Characters I think will be unlockable:
Mega Man
Luigi
Toon Link
Sonic
Rosalina
Marth
Robin
Zero Suit Samus (if we don't get a 3rd Metroid Rep)
Palutena
Pac-Man
Greninja
Lucario

udime123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3497-1825-3744
Aside from the characters we've seen so far, I think they may get some Golden Sun up in here. But that's probably just wishful thinking.

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
Wario and Ice Climbers will surely be starters, they don't make sense as unlockables imo, especially not the latter. I do also believe some of the announced characters will be hidden, I don't believe we're going to see four Fire Emblem starters, the franchise usually has unlockables, hell it used to be entirely unlockable. I do agree with you on G&W and probably Meta Knight too.
Just to clarify when I say secret, I mean characters we dont know about, not necessarily unlockable.

ikemachine

Smash Apprentice
Aside from the characters we've seen so far, I think they may get some Golden Sun up in here. But that's probably just wishful thinking.
I think there is actually a really good chance of there being a Golden Sun rep considering the absence of Isaac. I feel as though Sakurai is just leaving blatant hints this time for characters

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well if meta knight is not revealed this week i will be commenced that meta knight will have to be unlocked this time around.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Mega Man
Luigi
Toon Link
Sonic
Rosalina
Marth
Robin
Palutena
Pac-Man
Greninja
Lucario
You think that Marth is still unlockable even though he appears on the cover of the 3DS version? He is clearly the main FE rep, so he deserves to be moved to the starting roster, and I'd actually be shocked if he's still unlockable after showing up on the cover of the 3DS version.

I don't know if you forgot Lucina or if you think she'll be a starter, but otherwise I agree with your list.

I think there is actually a really good chance of there being a Golden Sun rep considering the absence of Isaac. I feel as though Sakurai is just leaving blatant hints this time for characters
Sadly the lack of showing Isaac's AT is not a hint. It just means our hope hasn't been destroyed. Lol. Isaac's AT in Brawl was unlockable and out of the unlockable ATs of Brawl, he isn't the only one that hasn't been shown.

Last edited:

Pureownege75

Smash Journeyman
You think that Marth is still unlockable even though he appears on the cover of the 3DS version? He is clearly the main FE rep, so he deserves to be moved to the starting roster, and I'd actually be shocked if he's still unlockable after showing up on the cover of the 3DS version.

I don't know if you forgot Lucina or if you think she'll be a starter, but otherwise I agree with your list.

Sadly the lack of showing Isaac's AT is not a hint. It just means our hope hasn't been destroyed. Lol. Isaac's AT in Brawl was unlockable and out of the unlockable ATs of Brawl, he isn't the only one that hasn't been shown.
I thought Lucina would be a starter and Marth would be unlockable since Lucina is pretty much beginner Marth so it makes sense. Hmmm the fact that he's on the cover might make me reconsider though

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
I believe the pic of the day with the mii wearing meta knight's mask proves there are going to be characters he won't announce pre release, this would explain the game and watch situation where Sakurai showed him in the pac man video and with the ice climbers showing the polar bear and with wario showing his logo. So who do you think for newcomers will be secret characters not announced pre release?
I agree with you I think this could be a way of Sakurai saying Meta Knight is hidden, or he will be announced today in CoroCoro.

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
Currently, I believe the following will be unlockable:
  • Luigi
  • Toon Link
  • King Dedede
  • Diddy
  • Zero Suit Samus
  • Sheik
  • Charizard
  • Ike
  • Mii Fighters
  • Palutena
  • Pac-Man
  • Lucina
  • Robin

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
I still think Meta Knight will be a secret character, but I don't think he will be revealed too soon. I predict that Sakurai is just putting it out there earlier to tease us, and that Meta Knight won't be confirmed until the very end or at the release.

Weavel

Smash Ace
Once game launches full roaster will be revealed shortly after. I'm sure there will be characters not revealed prior.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
The way they're keeping mum about them, I'mma say Ridley and Mewtwo are secret characters. Because I'm cynical enough as it is, the alternative is not to be entertained.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I've been liking this idea I had a few days ago that every franchise with at least two representatives should have at least one of them unlockable.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
  • Lucina
  • Robin
  • Pac Man
  • Miis
  • Greninja / Lucario
  • Sonic
  • Luigi
  • Mega Man

Unlockables are only cool when they're a suprise..

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
  • Lucina
  • Robin
  • Pac Man
  • Miis
  • Greninja / Lucario
  • Sonic
  • Luigi
  • Mega Man
Unlockables are only cool when they're a suprise..
I actually think the fun part is unlocking them. I don't mind knowing what I'm going to unlock as long as I have fun doing so.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I'm thinking we'll be getting hints, or in some cases psuedo-reveals, for hidden characters before release. As far as newcomers that have been hinted at and will probably be hidden if they're in, the obvious choices so far are Ridley and maybe Dark Pit. Impa/Ghirahim is another contender due to the trophy theory.

And as far as veterans go, the obvious choices are Mewtwo, Meta Knight, and Mr. Game & Watch. Wario And Ness/Lucas might fit in here too, since we saw the logo for their franchise before they were announced.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not necessarily certain that this confirms that secret characters might be announced prior to release ambigiously; however, as stated by TheNerdyOne_ Dark Pit and Ridley are the most ideal options in that event. I believe all other hinted characters, such as Tom Nook, were confirmed one way or the other. We can only wait and find out, but I am confident that this will be the case.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Instead of naming what I think the unlockables will be, starters I think:
:4bowser:
:4charizard:
:4dedede:
:4diddy:
:4dk:
:4fox:
:4greninja:
:4kirby:
:4myfriends:
:4littlemac:
:4link:
:4lucario:
:4luigi:
:4mario:
:4marth:
:4megaman:
:4mii:
:4olimar:
:4peach:
:4pikachu:
:4pit:
:4samus:
:4sheik:
:4sonic:
:4tlink:
:4villager:
:4wiifit:
:4yoshi:
:4zelda:
:4zss:
:4falcon:
Didn't feel like typing the names. :laugh:
Also, I think these two will be secrets for sure:
Isaac
(Maybe) Chorus Men

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm willing to bet that these guys will most likely be the unlockables as of what we have so far

:4greninja::4lucario::4lucina::4luigi::4megaman::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::4sonic::4tlink:

Based on the fact that Rosalina, Little Mac, WFT, Villager, and Marth are on the cover, it's pretty obvious they will most likely end up being starter characters. I would, however love to see characters like Wario and Meta Knight get bumped to unlockables this time around. More characters to unlock is always fun

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
No way is Wario an unlockable.

They're just saving him for a dual reveal with a newcomer, don't worry. :^)

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I think there are going to be more secret veterans than secret newcomers.

As to unlockables... How many have been in the starter list for each previous game?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Thinking Lucina, Robin, Meta Knight, Mr. Game and Watch, Lucario and Palutena.

I'm thinking approximately 35-40 starters.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Pureoost: 17274806 said:
Mega Man
Luigi
Toon Link
Sonic
Rosalina
Marth
Robin
Palutena
Pac-Man
Greninja
Lucario
Has a box art character ever been an unlockable?

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
If there was/is any game with uunlockables on the cover, that would be like a low blow
The two monsters on the over of Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee were both unlockable :4yoshi:

Also, I wonder if there will be version exclusive starters.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
GunGunW post: 17282495 said:
The two monsters on the over of Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee were both unlockable :4yoshi:

Also, I wonder if there will be version exclusive starters.
Never heard of it, and I hope they have exclusive starters to (if Yoshi and Sheik are starters on both, I'll be happy)

Sølid

Radio
3DS FC
4441-8453-4042
I think about it like this, I believe this game will be done exactly like Melee and Brawl. Everyone announced before release will be starters. Third-Parties are the only exception to this rule (Sonic and Snake). Some of you think this is less plausible due to some of the characters we have been shown (Toon Link, Luigi, 4 FE Reps, etc). Now to answer the 4 FE Reps being starters, remember that some franchises have had more than one rep and no unlocks in the past (DK and Kirby franchises) even though some really felt like they should have been unlocks (Diddy and Metaknight). We also have to remember that this game could potentially have up to around 50 playable characters. At least a third of that roster should be unlocks, so we will have an overall larger starting roster than the last installments, if we follow the last 3 games' ratios of starters to unlockables. It also makes sense for Sakurai to move around who are starters and unlockables to keep things fresh and to give unlockable spots to some newcomers. (I also want to point out that the way Sakurai worded what he said about Luigi, didn't necessarily mean he is unlockable in this game, just that he has always been in the others. Also the fact that past unlock only characters like Marth has a spot on the cover of the 3DS version, adds backup to this theory.)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I think of those announced, only the 3rd Parties and Luigi will be unlockable.
3rd Parties are shown off before release for hype, and Luigi was revealed because it was the Year of Luigi.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I'm thinking maybe Lucina will be unlockable. Having 4 starter Fire Emblem reps seems too much. Also, she would be the first starter clone in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom