• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai: Villager was planned for Brawl, talks character decisions

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
What I'm about to say is more a commentary on the community. It seems that in general, people take the phrase "planned for" way out of proportion. People don't seem to understand that plans in a video game project are a very fluid concept. Plans are constantly in flux.

People often like to say things like "Lucas was 'supposed to' replace Ness in melee," as an argument against Ness's return. The fact of the matter is that nothing is ever set in stone...

Anywho, interesting article. =P

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well that was certainly a nice read. Makes me wonder what other characters had been left out besides the Forbidden Seven.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I always found odd Animal Crossing didn't have a rep in Brawl, I'm glad they fixed that (even though I would've liked Mr. Resetti a lot more). They clearly put him for economic reasons first though, AC has become huge. I'd put him top tier with Mario and Pokémon, honestly.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm not sure what it means for the assist trophies since they "couldn't quite make it in as playable characters".

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm not sure what it means for the assist trophies since they "couldn't quite make it in as playable characters".

I guess they tried them out, had reasons or another to not include them, and then put them as these sort of items.

Maybe an inner project inside Brawl's development of it's own?

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
"villager and trainer were not choices we made for the sake of cheap novelty"

Straight from the horse's mouth. WFT =/= joke character.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I guess they tried them out, had reasons or another to not include them, and then put them as these sort of items.

Maybe an inner project inside Brawl's development of it's own?
I think it's more likely that there simply wasn't enough time to implement some character ideas so they made them into Assist Trophies. I wanna say Saki is a likely prime example.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well, obviously Sakurai doesn't pick characters like G&W, R.O.B. and WFT just to troll. She's definitely still the "WTF" pick, though.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Well, obviously Sakurai doesn't pick characters like G&W, R.O.B. and WFT just to troll. She's definitely still the "WTF" pick, though.
Like she'll be the only WTF character. Ha. 1, 1 doesn't this remind you guys of any sequence? It's Fibonacci yo. Which means we have one more WTF character to go.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well, if we define "WTF" as "unexpected, unwanted, and controversial" R.O.B. was the only true WTF character in Brawl, right? Am I forgetting somebody? I know PT was unexpected, but he was very much so welcomed.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
This is a interesting read. I wonder how many other unknown characters that were planned will show up.
And I am glad he is focusing on gameplay variety rather than, "this character has a good chance because this series needs a rep.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Well, if we define "WTF" as "unexpected, unwanted, and controversial" R.O.B. was the only true WTF character in Brawl, right? Am I forgetting somebody? I know PT was unexpected, but he was very much so welcomed.
No, that isn't how we define WTF. Thinly veiled character hatred detected.

I don't mind getting more surprises so long as they are neat as the ones already presented. Anyway, going back to the article, I think it is interesting that he says the villager wasn't included in Brawl because he wasn't suited for battle. My guess is that he means they had not been able to find a good light for him to shine in. I guess it does go to show that the Wii Fit Trainer isn't a cheap novelty inclusion, after all. They actually do wait for something to evolve instead of adding things willy-nilly.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
No no, I'm saying since there was 1 in Melee, and 1 in Brawl, by the Fibonacci sequence which is (1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13...) there will be two in this game. The reason I said this in response to your comment was because one of your previous comments suggested that WFT was the WTF character of this game. My point is that she is not alone.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
No no, I'm saying since there was 1 in Melee, and 1 in Brawl, by the Fibonacci sequence which is (1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13...) there will be two in this game. The reason I said this in response to your comment was because one of your previous comments suggested that WFT was the WTF character of this game. My point is that she is not alone.

How would someone be entitled on some superstitious sequence without knowing it...

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Technically speaking, the Wii Fit Trainer is the WFT character of this game.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I have yet to read the article, but how could people even think Smash isn't made up of anything BUT joke characters?

Seriously, :pichumelee: versus :ganondorfmelee: , :snake: vs :yoshi2: , the existence of :falcon64: , :fox64: , and :pikachu64: in a fighting game. And people choose WFT to label as the joke?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Anybody else chuckle at him implying that MvC wasn't creative with megaman? I liked that comment.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
He's going for interesting, and if a character (well-received or not) doesn't bring anything to the table in their own right, he's not as interested. Not that I could really point out any specific character that fits this role, considering he considers Fox-Falco-Wolf to have their own merits despite being based off of one another.

Also, it almost sounds like he was thinking Mega Man was going to be boring IF he didn't approach him the way he did. (I could have told you that Sakurai)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
He's going for interesting, and if a character (well-received or not) doesn't bring anything to the table in their own right, he's not interested.

Not that I could really point out any specific character that fits this role, considering he considers Fox-Falco-Wolf to have their own merits despite being based off of one another.
I talked about this in another thread but I think the personalities of the characters matter more to Sakurai than their moveset potential in the grand scheme of things.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I talked about this in another thread but I think the personalities of the characters matter more to Sakurai than their moveset potential in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, that's a good word to use. It's not LITERALLY there moveset potential, but so much a combination of that, and their... essence and how they themselves would be in the game. Like Wolf and Falco, for example.

Anybody else chuckle at him implying that MvC wasn't creative with megaman? I liked that comment.

It's pretty bland imo.

Smash Mega Man > MvC Mega Man

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
How would someone be entitled on some superstitious sequence without knowing it...
Don't you dare call the Fibonacci sequence "some superstitious sequence" to a mathematician. That's like stacking a poker deck in Texas: you'll get shot that way.
On the flip side, I wonder if we'll have trophies, stickers, or something else in Smash4. Hopefully some good easter eggs though.

peeup

Smash Lord
Most important part of that for me:

"On the other hand, even if you have a character suited for a fighting game, if you can't make him stick out from the pack and extract something unique from him, then what can you do?"

This is why I don't want Little Mac in Sm4sh, and this would seem to apply to him fairly well.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces

"On the other hand, even if you have a character suited for a fighting game, if you can't make him stick out from the pack and extract something unique from him, then what can you do?"

This is why I don't want Little Mac in Sm4sh, and this would seem to apply to him fairly well.
Sakurai managed to create creative movesets for Wii Fit Trainer, Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, and R.O.B., so I'm sure he can create some for Little Mac. He actually has a lot of variety in his combat in the two punchout games, so I wouldn't count Little Mac out of the running.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

I think the point of that line was that even fighting game characters still have to fit in the diversity of another game's roster. A roster of the different shotos in fighting games wouldn't be a diverse game.

Top Bottom