• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai is doing a monthly column on Smash in Game Informer (here's the first one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I may have to resubscribe to Game Informer. This is really cool to know. Maybe later we could properly type up each article. Since yours is too small to read.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Good thing I still have that free toilet paper, I mean, GameInformer, coming in the mail monthly for having PowerUp Rewards subscription.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Did he say anything that might hint to him being a toobigot and simply not adding Ridley because he doesn't like Metroid? I mean, seriously, I can't read any of this, it's too small!

the8thark

Smash Lord
HD scan of this please so we can read it.
And secondly will this tell us anything we do not already do not know (and some people are yet to accept)?

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
Haven't we seen this already...? He talks about how the Ice Climbers were "in a working stage on the Wii U version during development", but they were dropped because they took "a ton of machine power" on the Nintendo 3DS. Likewise, "as for porting characters from Melee, the original data is now old enough that it's no longer a simple, straightforward process".

Oh, and at the very end he'd prefer English-speakers sending him Google Translated Twitter messages to just send him English messages, because "English is honestly easier to read than that" :p

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The image quality is shoddy, but readable. It requires a bit of effort, though.

Here's a transcript:
Where is [insert character here]?
I know that no matter how hard we work to get lots of fighters in the game, there are always going to be people who only wonder about the characters that aren't there.
Among them are the Ice Climbers, who were actually in a working stage in the Wii U version during development. However, getting the two of them moving as a pair in the Nintendo 3DS version took a ton of machine power. I had the team innovate a lot to try and get them working, but we had to give up eventually. In fact, also with some of the other fighters we had to keep modifying and modifying until they finally worked.
When it comes to characters and series without any future plans - that is, without the prospect for new games to come soon - those are always going to be a lower priority. As for porting characters from Melee, the original data is now old enough that it's no longer a simple, straightforward process.
Some info may be old news, but it's always interesting to get insight into what goes behind the scenes.

It appears they had difficulties with other characters' implementation as well, but managed to make them work in the end. Perhaps, they can still try a second time in getting the Ice Climbers to work as DLC, but of course, there's no certainty when it comes to such issues and overcoming them.

Did he say anything that might hint to him being a toobigot and simply not adding Ridley because he doesn't like Metroid?
Stop making this sort of comments.

Last edited:

Lustersold

Smash Rookie
He says mostly standard stuff. I would love to hear more how his mind works.

When it comes to characters and series without any future plans - that is, without the prospect for new games to come soon - those are always going to be a lower priority.
New Duck Hunt game confirmed /s

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Sorry guys, I thought it would allow zoom. It does on the photobucket page. When I get home tonight I'll take better pictures.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Really, Sakurai? Because last time I checked, DK has had two succesful, critically acclaimed games since Brawl.

Also, no future? You must've missed Shigeru Miyamoto hinting at two new Metroid games.

Oh and what about Starfox? Apparently a brand-new Wii U game isn't enough to keep an important villain.

Not to mention the commercial success of VC Earthbound, where's Lucas?

And Zelda? Two major new iterations, a popular spin-off and an upcoming Wii U game apparently aren't enough to get a new character.

Yeah? What was that about Kid Icarus Uprising not getting a sequel? I guess that's the reason it got a new character and a clone, right?

This also further confirms that the 3DS version did more harm than good, and that it not existing would've probably given us more characters. Rather than making the ICs Wii U exclusive, the people who actually supported Nintendo's amazing console get less characters because "it's unfair!" No it's not, you get more, you pay more, after all it's caused, the 3DS version doesn't deserve any sympathy.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Really, Sakurai? Because last time I checked, DK has had two succesful, critically acclaimed games since Brawl.

Also, no future? You must've missed Shigeru Miyamoto hinting at two new Metroid games.

Oh and what about Starfox? Apparently a brand-new Wii U game isn't enough to keep an important villain.

And Zelda? Two major new iterations, a popular spin-off and an upcoming Wii U game apparently aren't enough to get a new character.

Yeah? What was that about Kid Icarus Uprising not getting a sequel? I guess that's the reason it got a new character and a clone, right?

This also further confirms that the 3DS version did more harm than good, and that it not existing would've probably given us more characters
:facepalm:

No where did Sakurai say that Zelda, Metroid and DK had no newcomers because of that reasoning.

"Characters with no future gets lower priority" =/= "Every series that are alive will get newcomers" or "Every active franchise gets the highest priority"

What a way to twist his words, dude. It simply means any franchise that are inactive gets less priority.

Also Star Fox was barely active between Brawl and SSB4. His games barely sell well these days, and the Wii U Star Fox game is unproven (popularity/sales wise), it just barely got into development. So of course having 3 Star Fox characters in the roster would be lower priority.

Kid Icarus Uprising had a very recent game and did really well, it is justified giving them a newcomer. So it makes sense there was priority to recent successful games. Also, KI isn't confirmed to not get a sequel, it was only said that Sakurai himself isn't going to do the sequel, he didn't create the franchise to begin with. The actual status of the franchise's future is really unknown.

Zelda, there isn't a lot of viable choices left for that franchise. I mean I guess Impa is probably a good choice, but really, Zelda has 5 characters. That's still a healthy amount, they got every prominent character (minus Impa).

And as for Earthbound? VC never really counts much. Besides, Lucas was never in that game, his game is still Japan only to this day. He gets lower priority due to that alone. The franchise doesn't have a future (rereleases don't count) because the creator is done with it and doesn't plan to make anymore.

Admittedly, it's weird that DK didn't get a newcomer, hopefully Dixie as DLC. I feel DK is underrepped so I agree somewhere there. Metroid on the other hand... Well, there isn't a lot of viable choices. Samus and Ridley are the only consistent characters of the franchise, and the latter... well... I won't touch on that, it won't end well.

Last edited:

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
:facepalm:

No where did Sakurai say that Zelda, Metroid and DK had no newcomers because of that reasoning.

"Characters with no future gets lower priority" =/= "Every series that are alive will get newcomers" or "Every active franchise gets the highest priority"

What a way to twist his words, dude. It simply means any franchise that are inactive gets less priority.

Also Star Fox was barely active between Brawl and SSB4. His games barely sell well these days, and the Wii U Star Fox game is unproven (popularity/sales wise), it just barely got into development. So of course having 3 Star Fox characters in the roster would be lower priority.

Kid Icarus Uprising had a very recent game and did really well, it is justified giving them a newcomer. So it makes sense there was priority to recent successful games. Also, KI isn't confirmed to not get a sequel, it was only said that Sakurai himself isn't going to do the sequel, he didn't create the franchise to begin with. The actual status of the franchise's future is really unknown.

Zelda, there isn't a lot of viable choices left for that franchise. I mean I guess Impa is probably a good choice, but really, Zelda has 5 characters. That's still a healthy amount, they got every prominent character (minus Impa).

And as for Earthbound? VC never really counts much. Besides, Lucas was never in that game, his game is still Japan only to this day. He gets lower priority due to that alone. The franchise doesn't have a future (rereleases don't count) because the creator is done with it and doesn't plan to make anymore.

Admittedly, it's weird that DK didn't get a newcomer, hopefully Dixie as DLC. I feel DK is underrepped so I agree somewhere there. Metroid on the other hand... Well, there isn't a lot of viable choices. Samus and Ridley are the only consistent characters of the franchise, and the latter... well... I won't touch on that, it won't end well.
Well, Metroid did have another potential character and a villain, Dark Samus, who would've actually be the exception to the rule of dark clones being the same damn thing as the original. Also, Sakurai's handling of the whole Ridley thing was...unprofessional to say the least. I'm just saying that if they want Kid Icarus to become a Nintendo staple, then give us more great games like Kid Icarus Uprising.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Well, Metroid did have another potential character and a villain, Dark Samus, who would've actually be the exception to the rule of dark clones being the same damn thing as the original. Also, Sakurai's handling of the whole Ridley thing was...unprofessional to say the least. I'm just saying that if they want Kid Icarus to become a Nintendo staple, then give us more great games like Kid Icarus Uprising.
Fair enough, but then again, we'd have "3" Samuses on the roster, which would make the diversity in characters kind of awkward. But I see your point. I have nothing against Dark Samus' inclusion but I wonder if that's part of why she was AT instead.

As for KI, I don't think it'll be the kind of franchise with a new sequel announced so soon. If it gets a sequel, it's possible it'll have a once-per-console-generation release (just like numerous of Nintendo franchises). It's too early to assume KIU won't actually get a sequel IMHO

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I do understand what Sakurai was thinking/planning when it came to the roster with the priorities and such. I CAN understand Lucas, since not only is Earthbound not as big as other franchises ... and Lucas' role in the series isn't over here in the States. Snake is simple enough. I am torn on Wolf, since Star fox series has been dead for awhile and is now getting revived with the new wii u game. ( I hope it is great!) I agree with other though I am not sure the reasoning with less rep for the DK franchise ... it is still relevant and has had games since Brawl.

This is where I hope for future DLC for the return of some veterans and new comers!

Or maybe someone finds a way to hack it and does a Project M kind of thing to add characters and such. That's WAY down the road IF it is possible.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord

This also further confirms that the 3DS version did more harm than good, and that it not existing would've probably given us more characters. Rather than making the ICs Wii U exclusive, the people who actually supported Nintendo's amazing console get less characters because "it's unfair!" No it's not, you get more, you pay more, after all it's caused, the 3DS version doesn't deserve any sympathy.

Okay, let's go through these one by one:

DK: Yes, but want to know who was missing from those two games? K. Rool (AKA the guy most people want the most from the DK series). And Diddy Kong (another popular request from the series) didn't return until Tropical Freeze, which may have begun development too far into the SSB cycle and who is a distant fourth in DK popularity.

Metroid: The problem with Metroid continues to be that there are, like, four recurring characters in the whole series. One of them is playable, the other three (Mother Brain, Kraid and Ridley) are, yes, TOO BIG (just look at how much Ridley has to crouch down in Pyrosphere to even fit on the goddamn stage!).

Star Fox: The problem with Star Fox is that most of the cast would almost certainly be a Fox-clone or near-clone. See: Falco and the departed Wolf. The one who instantly comes to mind who WOULDN'T be, Krystal, hasn't been in a game in awhile (there was a remake... but it was of SF64) and we don't know if she'll be in the new ones for Wii U.

VC Earthbound: Lucas wasn't in Earthbound. If Nintendo had released Mother 3 in English on the VC for the Wii U and it'd done gangbusters, there'd be more of a case for him. Sadly, they haven't.

Zelda: Like Metroid, the problem with Zelda is that there are only a few recurring characters. There certainly are far more possibilities than Metroid have, and there are definitely some Zelda characters with good claims of being snubbed, but even many of those notable characters end up being one-offs, only appearing in one or two games. Do you think you'll be seeing Ghirahim in the free-roaming Wii U Zelda? I don't think so. Midna has only appeared in Twilight Princess and the non-Canon Hyrule Warriors. How about Majora's Skull Kid, where's he been? Oh, right... not seen in a long while. Heck, it's probably only because of her Smash popularity that Sheik is still in- you could make the case that Impa could fill essentially her role.

Sakurai never said KI:U won't get a sequel. He just has said he's not doing it. There's a big difference in that.

The 3DS: This is entirely up to people's opinions. And although the ICs were lost due to the 3DS, the Wii U still has a TON and I mean a TON of exclusive content that's worth the cost, with more stages, music, modes, etc.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Okay, let's go through these one by one:

DK: Yes, but want to know who was missing from those two games? K. Rool (AKA the guy most people want the most from the DK series). And Diddy Kong (another popular request from the series) didn't return until Tropical Freeze, which may have begun development too far into the SSB cycle and who is a distant fourth in DK popularity.

Metroid: The problem with Metroid continues to be that there are, like, four recurring characters in the whole series. One of them is playable, the other three (Mother Brain, Kraid and Ridley) are, yes, TOO BIG (just look at how much Ridley has to crouch down in Pyrosphere to even fit on the goddamn stage!).

Star Fox: The problem with Star Fox is that most of the cast would almost certainly be a Fox-clone or near-clone. See: Falco and the departed Wolf. The one who instantly comes to mind who WOULDN'T be, Krystal, hasn't been in a game in awhile (there was a remake... but it was of SF64) and we don't know if she'll be in the new ones for Wii U.

VC Earthbound: Lucas wasn't in Earthbound. If Nintendo had released Mother 3 in English on the VC for the Wii U and it'd done gangbusters, there'd be more of a case for him. Sadly, they haven't.

Zelda: Like Metroid, the problem with Zelda is that there are only a few recurring characters. There certainly are far more possibilities than Metroid have, and there are definitely some Zelda characters with good claims of being snubbed, but even many of those notable characters end up being one-offs, only appearing in one or two games. Do you think you'll be seeing Ghirahim in the free-roaming Wii U Zelda? I don't think so. Midna has only appeared in Twilight Princess and the non-Canon Hyrule Warriors. How about Majora's Skull Kid, where's he been? Oh, right... not seen in a long while. Heck, it's probably only because of her Smash popularity that Sheik is still in- you could make the case that Impa could fill essentially her role.

Sakurai never said KI:U won't get a sequel. He just has said he's not doing it. There's a big difference in that.

The 3DS: This is entirely up to people's opinions. And although the ICs were lost due to the 3DS, the Wii U still has a TON and I mean a TON of exclusive content that's worth the cost, with more stages, music, modes, etc.
First of all, Ridley's not too big, he never was, he will never be, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid and the Melee Intro prove you wrong. Especially since Sakurai tends to exaggerate Ridley's size a lot, since he's bigger in both Brawl and Smash4 than he's ever been in the actual Metroid series. I don't have to even bring up Bowser and Olimar because people who use the too big argument refuse to listen to reason.
Zelda has Impa, who unlike Sheik, is actually a relevant, recurring character, especially her well-received Hyrule Warriors design, which has been in development for a long time now. Same with Tropical Freeze, if Sakurai can add a stage from Mario Kart 8 and a stage from Yoshi's Woolly World, he sure as hell can add a Tropical Freeze stage and character.

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
Way to derail the thread. I seriously thought we'd be past these kind of posts by now, but I guess not...

In regards to Game Informer, of course last month was my last issue, and I didn't renew :( I'm definitely interested in these articles, even after the game comes out.

chkenparm

Smash Cadet
First of all, Ridley's not too big, he never was, he will never be, Metroid Prime 3, Metroid and the Melee Intro prove you wrong. Especially since Sakurai tends to exaggerate Ridley's size a lot, since he's bigger in both Brawl and Smash4 than he's ever been in the actual Metroid series. I don't have to even bring up Bowser and Olimar because people who use the too big argument refuse to listen to reason.
Zelda has Impa, who unlike Sheik, is actually a relevant, recurring character, especially her well-received Hyrule Warriors design, which has been in development for a long time now. Same with Tropical Freeze, if Sakurai can add a stage from Mario Kart 8 and a stage from Yoshi's Woolly World, he sure as hell can add a Tropical Freeze stage and character.
I would really love it if I could read one entire thread on this site without seeing a post by you complaining about Ridley.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
People will NEVER get the **** over Ridley like got damn. Anyway, Sakurai is talking about old **** so idc, call me when he talks about stuff that hasn't be heard before lol

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
If you ask me, the evidence suggests that Ridley was pretty dang close to being a playable character this time. He even has his own stock icon, for Pete's sake! But keep in mind that he's not talking about Ridley here. He's talking about the Ice Climbers and the reasons they didn't make it in. Trying to apply that same reasoning to a completely different character with completely different circumstances in an attempt to bash Sakurai is pretty pathetic, if you ask me. Why can't we just wait for Sakurai to explain what happened with Ridley so that the haters can bash him properly?

Sound for Souls

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0731-6074-6979
If you ask me, the evidence suggests that Ridley was pretty dang close to being a playable character this time. He even has his own stock icon, for Pete's sake! But keep in mind that he's not talking about Ridley here. He's talking about the Ice Climbers and the reasons they didn't make it in. Trying to apply that same reasoning to a completely different character with completely different circumstances in an attempt to bash Sakurai is pretty pathetic, if you ask me. Why can't we just wait for Sakurai to explain what happened with Ridley so that the haters can bash him properly?
Not that I support the bashing of Sakurai lol, but I do agree that the Ridley fans should hear Sakurai out before ever going ballistic and going as far as to attack him through comments online and swearing off buying the game at all. A closed-minded person isn't a fun thing to be. Smash is fun to play though. :) Even before Mewtwo's re-announcement, the enormous speculation of leaks, even before the announcement of Sm4sh 3Ds & Wii U. Super Smash Bros. will continue to be fun; they just have to make up their minds as to whether or not it's something they'll let themselves experience.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
IMPA? lol. What we need is Pig Ganon. Lance user, probably a tank that relies solely on teleports to get around, an actually series-wide important character that was in 8 zelda games, and was SUPER IMPORTANT IN ALL OF THEM.

I think ridley's size could very well be his gimmick.

and we need Dixie kong. come on, she even starred 3 games.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I would be surprised if Sakurai ever comments on it.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I would be surprised if Sakurai ever comments on it.
Well, he seems to be more talkative about the development of these Smash titles. He has already mentioned the Ice Climbers being cut, the separation of the transform characters, Chrom being considered and going with Robin instead. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to discuss Ridley's unique role in the game a bit more.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well, he seems to be more talkative about the development of these Smash titles. He has already mentioned the Ice Climbers being cut, the separation of the transform characters, Chrom being considered and going with Robin instead. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to discuss Ridley's unique role in the game a bit more.
I suppose I could see him talking about the Boss characters as a whole possibly in the future. I'm not sure we'd be a more specific answer as in 'Why is Ridley not playable'.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Did he say anything that might hint to him being a toobigot and simply not adding Ridley because he doesn't like Metroid? I mean, seriously, I can't read any of this, it's too small!
maybe we shouldnt bring Ridely into this? Is that all you complan about on this fourm? Anyway, I forgot that I never resubsribed to Game informer

Last edited:

Soul.

So um. The 3DS isn't amazing? It doesn't deserve any sympathy just because a character was taken out? I don't understand.
Look, they tried to get them working. They gave up. They might try a second time with DLC, but I doubt it.
And it is unfair for the 3DS owners to not get the Ice Climbers. I've said it before: not everyone is planning on buying a Wii U.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So um. The 3DS isn't amazing? It doesn't deserve any sympathy just because a character was taken out? I don't understand.
Look, they tried to get them working. They gave up. They might try a second time with DLC, but I doubt it.
I'm sure they'll try again, but getting it working is the bigger issue.

My question is what they'll do with many various fan requests.

Anyway, I find this interesting; They had to change up other characters too. This could be why we never saw any gameplay data for Chorus Men. They never were started. Since it was an IC-like idea, they couldn't work so he didn't bother. It also explains why he went with easier choices. I just wonder who he had trouble tweaking. Rosalina & Luma are givens, but who else wouldn't been hard to make work? Shulk with his various modes? Maybe he actually cut Squirtle/Ivysaur during tthat time when Transformations didn't work and revamped Charizard. Zelda and Sheik got split up by then. Olimar got 3 Pikmin max around then.

All guesses, of course.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
And it is unfair for the 3DS owners to not get the Ice Climbers. I've said it before: not everyone is planning on buying a Wii U.
Since you're a 3DS user, you see it as a good thing, but as someone who has both Wii U and 3DS and considers Wii U the main console and game, it's really painful to see the 3DS version holding the full version back. Don't get me wrong, the 3DS is a damn great console, I mean, it has Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Dillon's Rolling Western, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Professor Layton Azran Legacy & Miracle Mask, etc...

BUT! Those games aren't holding back a bigger, better version that could be much bigger and much better if the portable version didn't exist.

Soul.

Since you're a 3DS user, you see it as a good thing, but as someone who has both Wii U and 3DS and considers Wii U the main console and game, it's really painful to see the 3DS version holding the full version back. Don't get me wrong, the 3DS is a damn great console, I mean, it has Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Dillon's Rolling Western, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Professor Layton Azran Legacy & Miracle Mask, etc...

BUT! Those games aren't holding back a bigger, better version that could be much bigger and much better if the portable version didn't exist.
Dude, I'm not seeing the Ice Climbers' exclusion as a good thing. For all we know, the Ice Climbers were working on the Wii U, tried to work on the 3DS but couldn't, and they were low priority as they haven't got a revival.
If the 3DS version didn't exist, people would still be wishing for a handheld Smash.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877

I'm pretty sure the 50 Fact Extravaganza has proven the notion of anything being held back from the Wii U version is very much false. It only seems the case with characters and even then, that may not end up the case.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'm pretty sure the 50 Fact Extravaganza has proven the notion of anything being held back from the Wii U version is very much false. It only seems the case with characters and even then, that may not end up the case.
It only seems the case with the characters, arguably the most important part of the game, so it IS a big deal.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist

*sigh* :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Just....stop.......

For the love of all that is good in this world.....please stop bringing this up. There's really no need for this.

liets

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2852-9552-5494
Fair enough, but then again, we'd have "3" Samuses on the roster, which would make the diversity in characters kind of awkward. But I see your point. I have nothing against Dark Samus' inclusion but I wonder if that's part of why she was AT instead.
Still one of the best assist trophies in the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom