• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai explains why SSB4 Wii U/3DS is not simultaneous release.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/08/21/smash-bros-creator-explains-wii-u-users-will-wait

To briefly explain, Sakurai says the 3DS version is in the debugging process, and that the Wii U version will be released at a later time so they are not strained for time with debugging two separate versions of a game for the exact release date.

So what does this mean? Is the Wii U version pretty much finished too, and that they wanted to make sure both version would be 100% playable by release? Will we truly get the Wii U version by Winter 2014?

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2014/08/21/smash-bros-creator-explains-wii-u-users-will-wait

To briefly explain, Sakurai says the 3DS version is in the debugging process, and that the Wii U version will be released at a later time so they are not strained for time with debugging two separate versions of a game for the exact release date.

So what does this mean? Is the Wii U version pretty much finished too, and that they wanted to make sure both version would be 100% playable by release? Will we truly get the Wii U version by Winter 2014?
Let's look more optimistic, maybe the Wii U is going to be packed with many awesome things by just characters, we might have some content on the Wii U that will be even more awesome and more unexpected.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
Let's look more optimistic, maybe the Wii U is going to be packed with many awesome things by just characters, we might have some content on the Wii U that will be even more awesome and more unexpected.
It should have better mode than Smash Run if that was the case.

Here's to hoping they'll bring back Subspace Emissary, in HD!

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222

The Wii U version isn't finished by any means. With potentially a lot more content than the 3DS roster (except for the roster which will be the same, obviously), there's could be a lot more bugs, thus more time to debug and balance everything out.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

Definitely. Currently it looks like the 3DS has much more content and the Wii U version only has HD graphics plus better stages in its favour. Oh and a bigger screen plus the pro controller.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700

Yeah.....but probably not, let just hope that Sakurai can still add cutscenes but not in adventure mode but maybe other things.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Why is it that as soon as I stop reading Kotaku they start posting stuff that doesn't make me shake my head?

It's nice to have official confirmation of the reason, though a lot of us figured this was part of it.

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
Since Namco's in the game, can we expect to see more customizations for the combatants and the Mii Fighters?

Namco did a pretty good job in TTT2 and Soul Calibur, why not?

The 'G' in Smash's fight money was taken out from Tekken, by the by.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
The Wii U version isn't finished by any means. With potentially a lot more content than the 3DS roster (except for the roster which will be the same, obviously), there's could be a lot more bugs, thus more time to debug and balance everything out.
Well if they're currently "scheduled" for Winter 2014, ideally, there isn't much time for more content. Hypothetically, if they do aim to release by Winter, I'd say they only have a few more weeks before they shift to the debugging process. Because even after finishing debugging, they still need time to burn all SSB4 copies onto Wii U CDs, ready to be packaged and then shipped out worldwide.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sakurai is probably still fine tuning things in the games. Mainly trying to find some last minute game breaking glitches.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Sakurai is probably still fine tuning things in the games. Mainly trying to find some last minute game breaking glitches.
This let us know that Sakurai is realky working hard to make this game even more better.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Subspace was deconfirmed a long time ago, though a Melee-esque Adventure mode isn't out of the question.

As for what it means, it means go get the 3DS version and be patient, the U version will be ready soon. "Please understand."

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Gamers will find any bugs that the debug team can't find anyway. Then all that would need to be done is issue a patch.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Subspace was deconfirmed a long time ago, though a Melee-esque Adventure mode isn't out of the question.

As for what it means, it means go get the 3DS version and be patient, the U version will be ready soon. "Please understand."
Only a story mode was deconfirmed, not necessarily an Adventure Mode with the scale of Subspace Emissary. You can do that without a story.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Only a story mode was deconfirmed, not necessarily an Adventure Mode with the scale of Subspace Emissary. You can do that without a story.
That's true, however, I feel like calling it Subspace is implying that it has the plot of Subspace. Otherwise it's just an Adventure Mode, regardless of scale.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Title is SOOOOOO misleading. I just read that in another website., and here I get a shock it's not coming to 2014!!

The release date is still HOLIDAY 2014.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That's true, however, I feel like calling it Subspace is implying that it has the plot of Subspace. Otherwise it's just an Adventure Mode, regardless of scale.
I don't mean they need to call it Subspace, I'm talking about making a mode on it's scale, without cutscenes.

Subspace had the subtitle of "Adventure Mode" as it was:

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Title is SOOOOOO misleading. I just read that in another website., and here I get a shock it's not coming to 2014!!

Sorry 'bout that. I didn't think anyone would make that mistake. :p

And yeh, they did say it's scheduled for Winter/Holiday 2014. That doesn't mean they might not decide to extend the date. But that's not what the article's about.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I don't mean they need to call it Subspace, I'm talking about making a mode on it's scale, without cutscenes.

Subspace had the subtitle of "Adventure Mode" as it was:

It also had the subtitle. I just don't know, I'm fine either way, but I don't see a point in giving it some grand title if it's not going to have cutscenes (lack of cutscenes arguably doesn't preclude having plot). And while I'd like having a long adventure mode, I'd actually prefer something closer to the size of Melee's, that I can play through multiple times with different characters, rather than a grand all-character quest.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Sorry 'bout that. I didn't think anyone would make that mistake. :p

And yeh, they did say it's scheduled for Winter/Holiday 2014. That doesn't mean they might not decide to extend the date. But that's not what the article's about.
I seem to recall a certain other Sakurai game aimed for a December release that faced a major delay. But if it's to fix the game and prevent bugs I'm totally fine with it.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
In a way this is good. The *** release of Hyrule Warriors has a few bugs in it which are being fixed as we speak. Hopefully it's UK/Aus/US release has these fixes. Any kind of major bugs in SSB4 would put many first times to Nintendo well off keeping interested in the platform/company. So I'm glad Nintendo are taking the time to do it right.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera

Sakurai already said all of this at E3. Not sure why the article makes it seem new.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It also had the subtitle. I just don't know, I'm fine either way, but I don't see a point in giving it some grand title if it's not going to have cutscenes (lack of cutscenes arguably doesn't preclude having plot). And while I'd like having a long adventure mode, I'd actually prefer something closer to the size of Melee's, that I can play through multiple times with different characters, rather than a grand all-character quest.
The way I see it, people will eat up something like Super Mario 3D World even though it has no real story or cutscenes. It's long, robust, and a lot of fun. An Adventure Mode with that kind of length and design philosophy (multiplayer is encouraged and you get new stuff thrown at you all the time) would be just fine without cutscenes, and much more satisfying than doing the same small set of levels 40 times.

Nielicus

Smash Lord

IKR, I was like "So the ****ing game is delayed after waiting all of these years"

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Debugging is done on two platforms for this game. The WiiU one is of a larger scale so they have to naturally check for more things.

Raijinken

Smash Master
The way I see it, people will eat up something like Super Mario 3D World even though it has no real story or cutscenes. It's long, robust, and a lot of fun. An Adventure Mode with that kind of length and design philosophy (multiplayer is encouraged and you get new stuff thrown at you all the time) would be just fine without cutscenes, and much more satisfying than doing the same small set of levels 40 times.
Why not both?

But really, while I enjoyed Subspace, I only got through it twice (once on normal, once on intense), and was bored of it. Adventure had enough diversity (or maybe just design nostalgia with the platforming levels) that I didn't really get tired of playing through it 25 times in Melee. I also never used Subspace to unlock things, though having something like that for players who'd like a single way to unlock everything could be nice.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Why not both?

But really, while I enjoyed Subspace, I only got through it twice (once on normal, once on intense), and was bored of it. Adventure had enough diversity (or maybe just design nostalgia with the platforming levels) that I didn't really get tired of playing through it 25 times in Melee. I also never used Subspace to unlock things, though having something like that for players who'd like a single way to unlock everything could be nice.
One of the main issues that Subspace had was just that the levels weren't Nintendo themed most of the time (only real one was the Halberd levels), and people cite that as a reason for Melee being better, but I'd much rather the length of Subspace (with replayability elements added and many other ideas I have) WITH Nintendo themed levels with specific gimmicks and enemies taken from Smash Run on the 3DS (only with upgraded models for Wii U).

And I don't see the point in doing both since we already have an updated Classic Mode with a branching path system (it's on 3DS but I'm sure it will be on Wii U, seems like an overall natural evolution from what past games did and should be kept across the board), and I thought Melee's Adventure Mode made it's Classic Mode completely redundant since it was mostly just fights on normal stages. And even if it wasn't, having a shorter Adventure Mode that has platforming stages when there is already a more robust one with more, seems completely redundant, as it just makes me ask why the split them in the first place.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
But that would take away the whole point of a big-scale story mode, I'll always remember the 'Attack on Subspace Army' cutscene as the greatest moment in Nintendo history.

Triblaze

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Triblaze0
You almost gave me a heartattack with "delay" when its just nota simultaneous release.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
I've changed the thread title so as to prevent the risk of more heart attacks.

The sacrifice of few to guarantee the survival of many...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
But that would take away the whole point of a big-scale story mode, I'll always remember the 'Attack on Subspace Army' cutscene as the greatest moment in Nintendo history.
I'm not talking about a big scale story mode, just a big scale Adventure Mode.

Again, Mario games do this a lot and people still eat them up because they are fun and robust.

Chimera

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cmChimera
Really? I don't remember. Where did he say exactly?
Pretty much exactly this. The release dates are different so that they could be debugged separately and efficiently.
So this is technically outdated? And I feel like I DO remember him saying something like this
The interview isn't outdated, but the information is.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Pretty much exactly this. The release dates are different so that they could be debugged separately and efficiently.
The interview isn't outdated, but the information is.
If that's so, then it wasn't necessarily "explained". It may've been safe to say separate debugging periods, but it could have also been a different reason.

At least we know for certain anyway, instead of leaving us speculating.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
Good, playtest those games, we don't more messes similar to what Bethesda brings us, just don't take until 2016

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Makes sense, I guess. I guess like they say, a delayed game will eventually be good, but a rushed game will be bad forever.
I think that was Miyamoto who said that.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Maybe it's just me, but as full of history, items, goodies as there are in Smash Run.... while it could be fun, it's pretty simple, imo. It's just one big map you run through... which my guess, and maybe I'm close to wrong, is about the size of 2 SSE levels put together. Maybe 3.

This alone could lend to the fact that they're focusing on the meatier mode for Wii U. I'm hoping for an Adventure style mode where each character (or characters from the Series respectively) get their own nostalgic world from their game's series to play through, be it a world map (like Mario or SSE) with levels or challenges.

Sakurai and his team are going all out and I'm having a hard time thinking they'll throw in a simpler mode than what was in the past. Even if there are no major cutscenes like Brawl or any at all, that quality of presentation will be converted into something else.

R0Y

Smash Master
Running out of time for a 2014 release to be announced though.... Nintendo and just about every publisher for a major title in existence tell you the release date some time ahead of release.

If a Smash Direct 2 is around 2+ weeks away, that's about as late as they can go.

I'm going to guess November 20th for Japan, November 21st for North America, and November 28th for Europe. No Smash 3DS-length wait in between if they have to get it out this year, that's for sure.

Remember that Melee missed Black Friday back in 2001 though, and Brawl did the same by a significant amount.

I'd be okay with a delay, I want the best game possible, but I just don't see it this time around. Nintendo needs Smash U for Wii U. There's nothing else big in Q4 2014 for the console and I'm sure NIntendo wants to salvage the situation as much as they can.

Top Bottom