• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rolling with the Punches 2: SSBB & Mario Kart Wii

ftwgaming

Smash Cadet
FTW Gaming Presents:
Rolling with the Punches 2: SSBB and Mario Kart Wi
Loudonville, Ohio
September 1, 2012
========
[[GEN]] General Info
========

CASH PRIZES!!!

This will be an all-day event. If you are participating in Brawl and Mario Kart you will probably be there from around 3:30pm until 11pm or later (depending on the number of entrants). The event will run until at least 10:00pm. AT LEAST.

Important: If you choose to enter both tournaments you will be required to pay the entry fee for both tournaments as this is where the winnings comes from for the event. You will only need to pay the venue fee one time.

The prizes are the same for both tournaments with each one having it's own entry fee and being split up as follows:
Less than 20 entrants:
1st Place – 65% of Pot
2nd Place – 35% of Pot
3rd Place – Free entry to a future tournament

More than 20 but less than 50 entrants:
1st Place 60% of Singles Admission
2nd Place 30%
3rd Place 10%

More than 50 entrants:
1st Place 45% of Singles Admission
2nd Place 25%
3rd Place 15%
4th Place 10 %
5th Place 5%

If there are between 20 and 50 players and a majority of the players vote to change the prize break up to the payouts for more than 50 entrants, we may change it to that. Otherwise the default is what we will use.

*NOTE*
If you hadn’t figured this out by now, the more people that enter, the higher amount of money you have a chance of winning at the end. So do us, and yourself, a favor and tell everyone you know about this. Share it on your Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, and Google+ (and bump it on your favorite smash forum. icon_wink )

We will attempt to supply any of the following, while the supplies last:
- Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, Pepsi - these will be for sale, but not for profit. We will be providing them to you at a minimal price to pay back what we spend on them.
- Chips (Lays Products) - Free while they last
-Free Water

Also located near the Youth Center:
McDonald’s
Subway
Pizza Hut
China Wok
Trail’s End Pizza

Yes, you are allowed to bring outside food and drink into the Youth Center. Just dispose of it!

RSVP on Facebook - http://on.fb.me/RwtP2FTW
Rules
========
[[SSBB]] Smash Rules:
========

Format:
Singles for Brawl
Time:
Games begin at 3:30 PM

Cost:
Entry Fee: $10 - 100% of this goes to this tournament's winnings.
Venue Fee: $ 5 - used to pay for costs of tournament.

General Rules
RULES SUBJECT TO CHANGES/UPDATES
• 3 stock.
• 8 minutes.
• Items are turned to off and none.
• If time runs out, the winner is determined by stock, and then by percentage.
• If both stock and percentage are identical, or a game ends with both players being KO'd simultaneously (typically because of a Sacrificial KO via Bowser's Flying Slam or Ganondorf's Flame Choke), then a tiebreaker is played. A tiebreakers is a 1 stock, 3 minute match with the same characters and the same stage.
• All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above should be played out for any "finals" matches).
• Controller ports are determined by Rock-Paper-Scissors if there is a dispute.
• All people are responsible for their own control scheme/name tag and must make sure it is set before the match begins. Both players must agree to restart a match on account of a controller problem.
• Meta Knight is banned.
• Stalling is banned. (Stalling is defined as any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable. Running from an opponent to get to a better position is not considered stalling, but using chain grabs infinitely against a wall beyond 300% or using Sonic's Neutral B repeatedly underneath the stage is.)
• Any action that prevents the game from continuing results in a forfeiture of the match for the offender.
• Some interactions (for example, interrupting a throw with a wind attack) can cause one character to become frozen until being hit. If this happens, the free character is expected to capitalize on this in a timely manner; a failure to do so is considered stalling.

Set Format
1. Both players choose their characters (as well as their sub-character and costume) for the first game. A double-random pick may be requested by either player.
2. Players start the stage-striking procedure in order to select the first stage. The optimal procedure for striking stages depends on how many starter stages are allowed. In the following list, "1" is player 1 and "2" is player 2.
o 3 Stages: 2-1
3. Each player may ban a stage from the counterpick list for the match.
4. The first game is played using the stage chosen by step 2.
5. The loser of the previous game chooses a stage from the starter or counterpick list. No player may choose a stage they have already won on unless the other player agrees.
6. The winner of the previous game chooses their character.
7. The loser of the previous game chooses their character.
8. Steps 5-7 are repeated.

Neutral Stages:
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Final Destination
-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick Stages:
-Lylat Cruise
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Siege
-Frigate Orpheon
-Battleship Halberd
-Brinstar
-Pokemon Stadium 1

===============
[[MKW]] Mario Kart Wii Rules
===============

Format:
4 individual racers per screen
Each group of 4 racers will be seeded randomly into a round robin style bracket. Each set will be a total of 4 games, which represents each race. Entrants will be reseeded into new round robin brackets to play a total of 3 sets. Semi-finals will narrow down the top players dependent on the number of entrants and will be played the same way through one or two set. Finals will narrow down the top 4 and determine a winner.

All Characters
All Vehicles
Any Controller

Time:
Registration 2:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Games Begin at 7:00 PM

Cost:
Entry Fee: $10 - 100% of this goes to this tournament's winnings.
Venue Fee: $ 5 - used to pay for costs of tournament.

General Rules:
Class: 100CC
CPU: None
CPU Vehicles: N/A
Items: Balanced
Race Count: 4

Maps will be selected based on the round in the tournament. Game Officials will instruct players which maps to choose.

NOTE: WE DO NOT KEEP ANY OF YOUR MONEY. It is used either as winnings or to pay for the cost of running the tournament.

ftwgaming

Smash Cadet
Mister Eric (and everyone else)

my rule set is quite old, I was told this at the last tournament we threw in April. I am still looking for a newer updated rule set so bear with us on the rules for Smash Bros. If one of you know where I can find new rules that are widely accepted by the smash community please post so I can get these finalized ASAP.

THANKS!!!

ftwgaming

Smash Cadet
bump...

after looking at many other tournaments I see them using the Apex ruleset... so I think that's the route we're gonna go unless someone tells me something more preferred...

ftwgaming

Smash Cadet
excellent! we're looking forward to seeing some new faces along with some familiar ones. only a couple weeks to go!

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Might come out to this as well. Altho it's about 4.5 hrs away :p

ftwgaming

Smash Cadet
I know it isn't much, but how about this... anyone who is coming from greater than 4 hours away and brings me a receipt from somewhere from their local area (to prove you're from there of course)... I will waive your venue fee. Your entry fee is still necessary though because it goes to tournament winnings.

I wish I could do better for you but at the same time I feel like doing any more than that would be unfair to other participants.
:)

ftwgaming

Smash Cadet
My apologies for not posting back sooner... A lot has been going on.

Generally we have around 20-30 people show up. We can handle a larger number of people, but being in Loudonville doesn't exactly help attendance.

Hopefully that doesn't dissuade any of you from coming... it'll still be a fun time. :)

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
I wish I could go, but I start my Saturday job at OSU on that day.

Since most tourneys are on Saturdays, I'm gonna have to talk something out with my agency about getting 1 or 2 Saturdays off so I can continue showing up to these things. It won't be as bad when October and November show up, though.

In short, no :fox: 4 U.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Do you guys have an address for the place? I can't seem to find it on my GPS or anything. lol

Also, do you have any rules on shortcuts in Mario Kart Wii?

There are a couple of stupid ones like this one that kind of break the spirit of "racing" that can be attempted as long as you are holding a mushroom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRjhUduI53s

But then there are ones like this that are actually pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFqeXVY9KRU

ftwgaming

Smash Cadet
No we won't be doing doubles this time around because the last time we did it we didn't get that much demand for it. However you aren't the first person to ask, so maybe we can get an extra setup and have it to play doubles on while you aren't playing. We'll definitely reconsider doubles for future tournaments though as well.
---------------------------

222 N Union St
Loudonville, OH 44842

---------------------------

There are no written rules about shortcuts because some are OK and some are not fair. This will be touched on when we announce the rules before the tournament. Refs will be watching for any of the really unfair ones.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
When is the earliest time that we can be there tomorrow? Do we have to show up right at 2:30?

Also, bringing Ruemaster with me.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Knocked Blue Rogue into losers, got bodied by Fizzle's DDD 1-3, lost to Blue in losers finals 0-3 or 1-3(?) after he stepped it up and pulled some cute **** off lol. I've gotta learn to keep my head in the game when I get pressured back or walled out. Fun stuff overall.

Also lost to Carls 2-3 in a $10 mm.

:phone:

Carls493

Smash Ace
NNID
Carls493
3DS FC
5000-2571-4495
I had some COTA-related issues with getting to work, so I self-sacrificed a Saturday of work to go to this tourney, anyway.

SoulPech

Smash Master
Had a lot of fun at this tournament. The drive to this place, as well as the location, reminded me of my hometown: A lot of houses, not too many people, and train tracks right next to my road. Shoutouts when results get posted, as well as after my tournament today.

KB...we still didn't get to play :(

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
Since I don't see a results thread:

(Pretty sure this is right)

1. Fizzle
2. Blue Rogue
3. Eddie G.
4. Carls
5. DL
5. Jiffy

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
Since I don't see a results thread:

(Pretty sure this is right)

1. Fizzle
2. Blue Rogue
3. Eddie G.
4. Carls
5. DL
5. Jiffy
those are right. :)

Mario Kart results were

1.DarkLouis
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
2. Jiffy
3. ?
4. Fizzle

wtf DL, **** was ridiculous how good you were.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
wtf DL, **** was ridiculous how good you were.
I did 5v5 clan wars and time trialed this game so hard in 2008/2009. There is a meta to it, and you can snowball the leads you get pretty hard, though luck does play a significant role. (I know too much about this game. LOL) x_x

Top Bottom