• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin's up throw

Nyrélhos

Smash Rookie
Hey !

So, it's commonly admitted that our up throw is useless, like, really useless. At low %, sends the opponent too far to follow up, and at high %, sends the opponent not quite far to kill him. So until now, I was forgetting about this move.
But recently, I had the idea to use that throw as a setup for an Uair at like 60~80%. In other words, enough % to kill him with the Uair.

The goal was pretty simple, send the opponent higher than with the Down throw, to force him to airdodging, bait the airdodge then strike with the Uair. With the Down throw, the opponent can land right after the airdodge in general, but with the up throw, he is too high for that.
And if the opponent DI at the left or right sides, we can always hit with Bair or Fair, better than nothing.

I tested that in For Glory and it worked fairly well, but For Glory's level's not that high, so I wanted your thoughts about this. Do you think it's interesting enough to use it often ?

Also, sorry if someone had already talk about that, and sorry if there are some faults in the text, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6gA2a3FGTs

fullofParallellines

Smash Rookie
I haven't tested or messed with Robin's upthrow. I've mainly resorted to using downthrow at low to mid percents. If they airdodge my upair, then i'll jabcombo or utilt when i land. I'll try to mess with upthrow at those later percents.

I actually found it peculiar that no one mentioned that Dthrow has some nice setups at lowpercents (upsmash/upair).

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
ah kk mb. I thought everyone dismissed it as entirely worthless and preferred to fthrow instead.
Nah, people here are more of the opinion that Fthrow is mostly useless except for (very) situational tech chases and Fthrow--> Speed Thoron.

Nyrélhos

Smash Rookie
Well, it seems I overestimated that throw. I tested again in For Glory this morning, and the results weren't convincing. Mostly, the opponent has just to double jump and it's over, I can't follow up with anything because he's too high.

But anyway, I'd like to still use this thread to know your thoughts about this move. Have you succeeded to find it a utility ? Maybe force the opponent to land on a platform ?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
U-throw should only ever be pressed if you've grabbed your partner in Doubles by accident.

Top Bottom