• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin Tech-- Thunder Cancelling; Thoughts?

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
So I was browsing Youtube earlier and found this little gem of a video detailing a movement tech Robin (and a few others) can utilize in his/her game.
Thoughts? I'm not sure if this tech is old news or not (though judging by the date the video was posted it's relatively new) but I'd like to hear some opinions on the usefulness of 'thunder cancelling' and if it helps improve Robin's mobility even marginally. Thanks!

Just found another video regarding the tech, this time showing ways thunder cancelling can be applied when combined with b-reversing. Take a look :grin:
Credit for both videos goes to YouTube channel 'STO'

Last edited:

Glory Blaze

Smash Cadet
NNID
GloryBlaze37
Pretty sure this is old news, Lucario's have been jump canceling Aura Sphere charge into Up Smash for as long as I can remember. Still neat tho

Avokha

NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
Pretty sure this is old news, Lucario's have been jump canceling Aura Sphere charge into Up Smash for as long as I can remember. Still neat tho
Aww, no fame, fortune, and glory for me then (LOL)

Still, I've never seen any Robins utilize it, or even discuss it here on the Robin boards, so I imagine this could be a fun thing to experiment with and see just how deep this rabbit hole goes :p

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
The thing with Thunder Cancelling is, I think it's not really a "technique" as much as it's a "basic" for Robin players. I don't think it's discussed because the way our Thunder works is pretty simple, and shielding is the only way to stop it (aside from casting, or spot dodge or grab which are shield-based actions), so it pretty much follows that, if you ever stop charging and do an aerial, Arcfire etc...you're technically "Thunder Cancelling".

Avokha

NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
The thing with Thunder Cancelling is, I think it's not really a "technique" as much as it's a "basic" for Robin players. I don't think it's discussed because the way our Thunder works is pretty simple, and shielding is the only way to stop it (aside from casting, or spot dodge or grab which are shield-based actions), so it pretty much follows that, if you ever stop charging and do an aerial, Arcfire etc...you're technically "Thunder Cancelling".
Yeah, I realize it's less of a tech and more of a movement option after trying it out for myself and checking some of razieks vids to see if he does this himself (from what I've seen, he does a slight variation of it, putting up his shield for a brief moment, then jumping out of it)

Tech or no, this could prove to be quite handy as either movement option or mindgames tool, so I would encourage us to experiment with it and see what ways it can improve our game :)

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
This essentially cancels the shield raising frames by buffering the jump.

Nonetheless, those few frames can make all the difference, and shielding and jumping is just taking time we could be using for movement. It may be just a few frames, but those frames add up over time. I find it useful.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Something that could actually be quite useful is an Option Select using perfect shield and some kind of attack, maybe a Downsmash. Try to perfect shield the incoming attack quickly followed by the Downsmash (or Upsmash, or whatever) so that it only comes out in the event of a successful perfect shield, and regular shields otherwise.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Yeah, I do this often. It's a very effective tactic against those who find Robin easy to read because of his/her sluggishness. I agree that it's not really a "tech", since I simply call it Thunder Fake-out due to it's simplicity in execution.

Last edited:
Top Bottom