• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Robin Change Found in 1.0.8

Owl_Flavored

Smash Rookie
Hello. Long time lurker, and I noticed a change to Robin that no one seems to have mentioned so thought I'd share. I also posted this to the big thread on all the changes in 1.0.8...

When Robin does his/her rapid tab jab combo that ends in the wind tome flurry attack (not the fire one), after the wind attack finishes, Robin is now pushed backwards a bit, making it slightly harder to follow up. This is most noticeable when Robin is on the very edge of a ledge, as now Robin actually falls off the side of the stage after doing this combo. I had a match where I wasn't expecting to be going into the fall and started charging up the thunder tome and ended up killing myself :-/

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
He always took a slight step backwards after the wind jab, and from what I can tell, he doesn't appear to go any further back now.

We also have a general patch data thread here, where this sort of thing should be posted. (I know it says 1.0.6, but they seem to have decided to use it for this patch as well)

Last edited:

Owl_Flavored

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I didn't post there because it said 1.0.6. I do think it is a change though, as I never fell off ledges after the jab combo before. Perhaps moving backwards is not new, but I'm pretty sure falling of ledges is.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Falling off ledges is new. Robin was incapable of performing the edge-cancelled rapid Jab until this patch. Good find, by the way.

So, looks like you guys get a new tech to practice. Maybe not the most important trick in the world. The only character who relies heavily on this tech is Little Mac because he can't deal with platform camping very well.

Owl_Flavored

Smash Rookie
Thanks! Although, it is slightly different from other characters, in that Robin doesn't fall off the platform until AFTER the combo is finished- (s)he remains on the platform while attacking, and then falls backwards after the final blow.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Wait, if it's only after the final hit, then that means Robin can't really followup on it at all. This seems like a nerf to me; it forces Robin to lose stage control if you're at the ledge.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Wait, if it's only after the final hit, then that means Robin can't really followup on it at all. This seems like a nerf to me; it forces Robin to lose stage control if you're at the ledge.
Haven't you tried it for yourself yet? You don't have to use the finisher to fall off a ledge. What the OP was saying is that it's odd for Robin since the jab finisher also pushes him back, and that's not normal for the other characters that can perform the tech.

Edit: Oh, I guess there still is some confusion. Yeah, Robin doesn't have to perform the finisher to fall off a ledge. That would be silly. You have the option to unlike other characters, but it's not your only way of getting pushed off.

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Haven't you tried it for yourself yet? You don't have to use the finisher to fall off a ledge. What the OP was saying is that it's odd for Robin since the jab finisher also pushes him back, and that's not normal for the other characters that can perform the tech.

Edit: Oh, I guess there still is some confusion. Yeah, Robin doesn't have to perform the finisher to fall off a ledge. That would be silly. You have the option to unlike other characters, but it's not your only way of getting pushed off.
The post directly above mine seems to claim otherwise, though.

And no, I haven't tried it for myself. I'm at work right now.

Owl_Flavored

Smash Rookie
What Hypnotoad is saying is correct- I was saying that. However, I went back to retest and it seems I was mistaken about needing the finish the combo before falling off.

So, Robin's jab combo now works like everyone else's, and can push her/him off a ledge while performing it. I guess you could argue either way that this is a buff or nerf, as it was easier to get the final hit of the wind combo before this patch and sometimes that would act as a kill move at around 100-110 depending on the angle that the wind throws the enemy, but now Robin has more options for how to finish the combo if she/he falls off a ledge (like her/his awesome levin sword up air).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So Robin's jab is now similar to every rapid jab?

Nice find.

Top Bottom