• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Support Ray for Smash! - Custom Robo Discussion Thread

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Ray's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Zoner/Ranger/Speedster for Ray.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
How would he deal with Speedster Bruisers like :4littlemac:?
I imagine Ray would be the opposite of little mac with good air/range game.

Looking forward to it, friend. :)
It's finally ready! :bee:

I'm going to tag everyone in this post in a little bit. I'm uploading the video after it finishes rendering, if anyone would like to be the first to know when it's up, start a convo with me in private messages.

P.S. This is only a 9 minute PREVIEW. The full thing goes up on friday.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding. :139:

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Is there a reason Ray does not have a support list?
In honor of it, I think we should all customize our support message.
"@DukeNapoleon: Ready for Ray MK to Gear into Battle!"

Hong

The Strongest
Hmm... Should I watch the preview and relay feedback, or wait for the surprise of the full thing?

I suppose it would be more helpful if I watched it now. ^~^

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'm going to wait for the full thing. I never spring for things like betas or early releases, so I'll just have to wait in suspense. I'm sure it will be worth it :)
:076:Just a few more days!:076:

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Is there a reason Ray does not have a support list?
In honor of it, I think we should all customize our support message.
"@DukeNapoleon: Ready for Ray MK to Gear into Battle!"
I have the "Warning Challenger Approaching" thing for my sig, anyone is free to use it!
Hmm... Should I watch the preview and relay feedback, or wait for the surprise of the full thing?

I suppose it would be more helpful if I watched it now. ^~^
It has no commentary, but you'll get a taste of how it will play out! Any feedback would be amazing, and just keep in mind that none of this is final. I'm reworking the CR: Arena part as we speak. And mastering all the audio. :joyful:

I'm going to wait for the full thing. I never spring for things like betas or early releases, so I'll just have to wait in suspense. I'm sure it will be worth it :)
:076:Just a few more days!:076:
You're making a good move! Don't fall to the temptation! I'm going to have plenty of people giving me feedback, so just sit tight for the full presentation!

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
@ gameb0ybryan gameb0ybryan
Wow. That's simply marvellous. You must have worked so hard on it. O.O

No complaints from me. You got a nice range of footage, English and Japanese. You must of had to dig deep to get all of this. Even without commentary, just seeing this makes me want to play Custom Robo again right now. I like what I see so far. :D

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
@ gameb0ybryan gameb0ybryan
Wow. That's simply marvellous. You must have worked so hard on it. O.O

No complaints from me. You got a nice range of footage, English and Japanese. You must of had to dig deep to get all of this. Even without commentary, just seeing this makes me want to play Custom Robo again right now. I like what I see so far. :D
Thanks! You have no idea how many hours were spent in the depths of the internet to find most of it. Also, a good amount of time was spent on animations that only lasted for a few seconds on the video, but it adds a lot to it. I'm glad you liked it. :D

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
:joyful::colorful::GCB: IMPORTANT!:GCB::colorful::joyful:
Hey everybody. If you're wondering why you're here, it's because you're part of the Ray Thread on Smashboards or are somebody important! We've started a petition to bring back the Custom Robo series, which can be found here. We need 25,000 signatures. How are we going to get that many people? Well, not through normal means. @Prism and I have been working hard on a video showcasing the series, that is 14 minutes long in length. Today, we are previewing the first 9 minutes. This includes everything from the intro to the Super Smash Bros segment. Please keep in mind that the final 5 minutes are still being worked on, there will be insightful commentary, and the audio levels will be mastered in the final product. You can expect to see the full thing on FRIDAY, sunday if anything happens. I am going to be promoting this on several sites, so if you know anyone who'd be willing to cover it, please let them know. I will put them in the credits of my video. I hope everyone enjoys it, and please give feedback so I know what to improve! (all comments are welcome, good or bad) Nothing is set in stone, but I hope you can look forward to the finalized version. -S1LV

TL;DR: Watch the video for the Custom Robo petition and give feedback.

Click here to go watch on youtube to get rid of the bars on the side.
Also, do not subscribe to my channel.
The video will be posted on a different one.
EDIT: PLEASE DO NOT SHARE THIS. Wait until the video on Friday launches! Thanks. :)

@ Hong Hong @Master Rapier @Prism @ Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon @ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon @ Ridles the Space Pirate Ridles the Space Pirate @ ToastyPyre ToastyPyre @ smashkirby smashkirby @ AceZTeller AceZTeller @StrangeTamer @Mishudo @Psionic EquinØx @fogbadge @Cobalsh @HeroG @Aguki90 @Keeshu @MasterMushroom @Banjo-Kazooie @Sigran101 @Edlocke @lobotheduck21 @FasdfGfaha @ Phaazoid Phaazoid @DustyPumpkin @OblivionWolf @smashbroskilla @Xenorange @Protom @Brogief @Guybrush20X6 @Shaboba @BluePikmin11 @Ricky Winterborn @smashingDoug @TempahRelapse @SuperBrawler @Mirron @Zzuxon @slambros @shaggypatriot12 @WonderSmash @Groose @Jerry Applesauce @MorbidAltruism @HugoBoss @VictoryIsMudkipz @R.O.B. @DarkSouls @Enlong @deuxhero @M52B28 @GoldenYuiitusin @Opossum @Mario_and_Sonic_Guy @SmashShadow @Andorok @Ferio_Kun @Dub24M @DragonSniperNintendo @Oasis_S @FalKoopa @volbound1700 @1983parrothead @Ekul @Ray Robo @Kamikazek @ToothiestAura @FirstBlade @Smashboards @The Derrit @iDOWN

Last edited:

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
That has really high quality capture and a lot of things I've never seen before. Like the Japan only ads and actual footage of the Ray trophy in smash. It looks great!
Just in case you want another ad for Custom Robo Arena there is this cgi ad (http://didierdaubeach.com/director-68-1.html?id_video=621&n=9).
I also love the border. Well done.
Most of the footage was created or captured specifically for this project! And thank you a million times over for the cgi ad, I had no idea that existed! Do you know of anything else? But seriously, thank you for the contribution. :roll:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Sooooooo close... the suspense is killing me! good thing I'm attending a Project M tournament tomorrow, or I think I would die of suspense. It's almost here!

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
A harsh de-confirmation for Takamaru today. Every day I fear this for Ray. At least we have the petition.
But either way we must keep

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
A harsh de-confirmation for Takamaru today. Every day I fear this for Ray. At least we have the petition.
But either way we must keep
I was just about to render the video until I saw this. Definitely adding it to the video. Btw, it launches today. @ Leafeon523 Leafeon523 is going to call today Christmas Robomas, a cherished holiday. And also, as long as Ray is in this game, i'm happy.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
:joyful::colorful::GCB: IMPORTANT!:GCB::colorful::joyful:
Hey everybody. If you're wondering why you're here, it's because you're part of the Ray Thread on Smashboards or are somebody important! We've started a petition to bring back the Custom Robo series, which can be found here. We need 25,000 signatures. How are we going to get that many people? Well, not through normal means. @Prism and I have been working hard on a video showcasing the series, that is 14 minutes long in length. Today, we are previewing the first 9 minutes. This includes everything from the intro to the Super Smash Bros segment. Please keep in mind that the final 5 minutes are still being worked on, there will be insightful commentary, and the audio levels will be mastered in the final product. You can expect to see the full thing on FRIDAY, sunday if anything happens. I am going to be promoting this on several sites, so if you know anyone who'd be willing to cover it, please let them know. I will put them in the credits of my video. I hope everyone enjoys it, and please give feedback so I know what to improve! (all comments are welcome, good or bad) Nothing is set in stone, but I hope you can look forward to the finalized version. -S1LV

TL;DR: Watch the video for the Custom Robo petition and give feedback.

Click here to go watch on youtube to get rid of the bars on the side.
Also, do not subscribe to my channel.
The video will be posted on a different one.
EDIT: PLEASE DO NOT SHARE THIS. Wait until the video on Friday launches! Thanks. :)

@ Hong Hong @Master Rapier @Prism @ Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon @ pupNapoleon pupNapoleon @ Ridles the Space Pirate Ridles the Space Pirate @ ToastyPyre ToastyPyre @ smashkirby smashkirby @ AceZTeller AceZTeller @StrangeTamer @Mishudo @Psionic EquinØx @fogbadge @Cobalsh @HeroG @Aguki90 @Keeshu @MasterMushroom @Banjo-Kazooie @Sigran101 @Edlocke @lobotheduck21 @FasdfGfaha @ Phaazoid Phaazoid @DustyPumpkin @OblivionWolf @smashbroskilla @Xenorange @Protom @Brogief @Guybrush20X6 @Shaboba @BluePikmin11 @Ricky Winterborn @smashingDoug @TempahRelapse @SuperBrawler @Mirron @Zzuxon @slambros @shaggypatriot12 @WonderSmash @Groose @Jerry Applesauce @MorbidAltruism @HugoBoss @VictoryIsMudkipz @R.O.B. @DarkSouls @Enlong @deuxhero @M52B28 @GoldenYuiitusin @Opossum @Mario_and_Sonic_Guy @SmashShadow @Andorok @Ferio_Kun @Dub24M @DragonSniperNintendo @Oasis_S @FalKoopa @volbound1700 @1983parrothead @Ekul @Ray Robo @Kamikazek @ToothiestAura @FirstBlade @Smashboards @The Derrit @iDOWN
*Last edited: Tuesday at 3:04 PM*

OH HO, I think you missed all the tag alerts because I lived it by experience; you NEVER receive tag alerts if the tag was added on an edit.

Don't ask why, but if you didn't added the tags on the first time you clicked "post reply", I think no one will get alerts for this.

I just want point that out because it would be annoying to have to repost that.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
*Last edited: Tuesday at 3:04 PM*

OH HO, I think you missed all the tag alerts because I lived it by experience; you NEVER receive tag alerts if the tag was added on an edit.

Don't ask why, but if you didn't added the tags on the first time you clicked "post reply", I think no one will get alerts for this.

I just want point that out because it would be annoying to have to repost that.
Good news for me, i'm going to have to tag everybody again when the video is up. Thanks for letting me know friend!

ToastyPyre

Smash Apprentice
I was just about to render the video until I saw this. Definitely adding it to the video. Btw, it launches today. @ Leafeon523 Leafeon523 is going to call today Christmas Robomas, a cherished holiday. And also, as long as Ray is in this game, i'm happy.
If you want anything just ask. I got like 4 things for Ray in Smash on my Deviantart (ToastyPyre).

Hong

The Strongest
Indeed. If you want to tag people to get their attention, make sure you do it when the post first goes live. Same with quotes.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
If you want anything just ask. I got like 4 things for Ray in Smash on my Deviantart (ToastyPyre).
I was on your deviantart a few weeks ago when I was on a quest for CR art, you'll see some stuff you did towards the end of the video. :upsidedown:

Indeed. If you want to tag people to get their attention, make sure you do it when the post first goes live. Same with quotes.
I'll make sure to do that this time. We're looking at 5 hours right now until this is up, according to adobe premiere (my video program).

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
The time to export this is taking forever, the number keeps increasing. I'll have it uploaded as soon as possible, but as of this moment the video is complete. Just a little longer!

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
The time to export this is taking forever, the number keeps increasing. I'll have it uploaded as soon as possible, but as of this moment the video is complete. Just a little longer!
We've waited this long; a couple of hours won't slow us down :)

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I FULLY support both the inclusion of Ray (I personally like 01 the best, but I like all versions of him) in Smash 4 as a playable character AND the creation of Custom Robo 6. I have played both of the American games and I LOVED them (I 100%ed them and I still go back to them). If they released CR1, CRV2, and CRGX in the states, I would have purchased them.

Ray MUST become a playable character in Smash 4! He MUST! Out of all of my remaining wishlist characters (I got good ones like Mac and Mega Man in), he's my most wanted one (well, Simon and Isaac are tied with him as well). We REALLY need to have this beloved series represented by more than just an AT and a couple of trophies and stickers. If Wii Fit Trainer can make it (I like her inclusion, BTW), Ray can DEFINITELY make it in IMHO.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
My favourite is Milky Way.

The person I played with most goes with a Strike Vanisher + Shotgun combo, and I found the best counter is to be too high for them to catch me with it. I already had a thing for Aerial Beauty models as it were, so I just augmented my build with the right legs. :)

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I'm ashamed - it's been so long since I've played it that I can't remember my favorite setup. It was definitely strike vanisher, but I forget the gun/bombs/pods...

New custom Robo Nintendo pls ;(

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Lightning Sky + Rayfall + Gigantic Spawl= Dozens of wins :)
Literally the only pod I ever used in the Gamecube version was the Diving Pods. That homing is just so op.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Little Raider + Shotgun/Knuckle Gun + Freeze Bomb and Pod

Any stray hit is a down, I love it. Pipit is my fav.

Hong

The Strongest
Milky Way: Good mobility in the air and on ground.
Needle: Spammable ranged attack that is good in close-quarters, since all the needles hit
Geo Trap: Nice fast bomb
Freeze Pod: I like Dolphin, too, but our local meta evolved towards space control
High Jump: Also use Wide Jump from time to time, especially if I know the Holosseum in advance. Basically to accentuate her already great aerial mobility.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Just as an aside, if/when Ray isn't confirmed, can we turn this thread into a general for Custom Robo?

As a last hope of course. I'll be damned if I don't want him in.

willy410

Smash Rookie
I think ray would be perfect to show off custom moves like how palutena has multiple specials.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Body: Depends on the mood. I either do Ray 01 or Seeker. If Illegal parts are allowed, then I use Ray Warrior or Rahu III.
Gun: Generally the Dragon Gun. I like the power of it. It's KINDA slow, but if I trap the foe with the bombs and pods, it generally works out fine. Rayfall, Sword Storm, and Afterburner also work good with my Lightning Sky Robo.
Bomb: This is a tough one. Submarine P is good for forcing them in the air. Geo Trap is good for....well, trapping. Wall is decent for blocking someone from following me when I am a Lightning Sky. Delta ain't bad for trapping, but I sometimes hit myself.
Pod: Generally anything that homes or makes the ground hectic. Seeker, Spider, Cockroach, and Twin Flank are ones I do like.
Legs: Long Thrust all the way.

Edit:
I think ray would be perfect to show off custom moves like how palutena has multiple specials.
Another good reason for Ray to be added.

Edit (again):

Don't forget about Ray Sky! While he might not be a Shining Fighter like most of the other Rays, he did have an important part in Custom Robo GX IIRC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom